Sign in to follow this  
dylanisabaddog

Pilkington

Would be a great signing if we could get him, but i think if Stoke and Wolves are in for him i think he would probably go there as he''d prefer to stay up north considering he''s lived up north all his life. Hope we get him tho, wouled be another great igning by Lambert.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]Are we certain that we are the only Premiership club interested in him? Is it a dead cert he''s heading here do you think?[/quote]

I thought that I''d missed something - where does it say that Norwich are signing him?

James Vaughan is the thing that would sway him to us IMO. I don''t think Wolves, Stoke etc offer much better wages than we do, having a good friend of his here who''ll help him settle will sway towards a move here.

Talk Sport says they understand he is joining:

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/8705/5/pilkington-heading-norwich-city?

The only thing that worries me about this move is they''re saying it''s the 2nd most disappointing sale of a player to Marcus Stewart leaving for our cousins down the road....

[quote user=" Badger"]Talk Sport says they understand he is joining:

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/8705/5/pilkington-heading-norwich-city?[/quote]

Speaking on UTOOB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hol4h0liWWY

H

I think this would be a very good signing for £1.8m or whatever it may be considering that he is a very similar player of a very similar quality to Snodgrass. Both are lefties who come in off the right. Both chip in with their fair share of goals.

The only real difference between the two is that Snodgrass has had a year in the championship.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="Smudger"]Really don''t see how he would improve our starting line-up.  I think the rumoured £1.8 million is far too steep for him and I would much rather we went for other targets in the midfield.  May get proven wrong but that''s my opinion.[/quote]

What is our starting line-up now?

[/quote]We have yet to find out, but I would assume that Surman or Bennett are favourites to start on the left hand side from what we have at the club right now and either Bennett or Crofts down the right?I would rather have Bradly Johnson on a FREE transfer than Pilkington but would also be spending more than £1.8 million possibly on adding the likes of Chris Eagles and/or Lewis McGugan to our midfield.  Would have thought that kind of money would secure a bit of experience that many fans think we need in the squad like Jimmy Bullard for a year or two also.Peter Whittingham also and they are just names without really considering the options out there.

Pilkington would be a great signing. We still need another player who can play on either flank or even in Hoolahan''s role, and he can do just that.

As others have alluded to, he''s got a few similarities with Snodgrass, but comes at a much cheaper price. I''m not convinced Snodgrass is better either, as he''s got serious fitness issues which have shown from Christmas onwards the last two years.

If we can get Pilkington, then our midfield/attack will start looking very decent. On either wing we could play him/Bennett/McNamee (who I think will stay as back-up until at least January), or go with more ''defensive'' options like Crofts/Korey Smith/Surman/Lappin/etc when needed.

As I''ve said, it gives us options through the middle as well, and I don''t think goal-scoring will be our main problem next year.

A defensive midfielder (Johnson?, although I''d prefer someone else), a goalkeeper (Forster linked?) and a CB (I''d like Steven Caulker) and we''ll be heading towards having a competitive squad.

We definitely need another winger to give us balance if we are playing Bennett on one flank. Surman can play out wide on the left wing but I dont think Lappin/McNamee are viable alternatives. So one more winger like Pilkington/Whittingham would be welcome to give us balance.

I cant really see why many people are claiming this will be a great signing when he is carrying serious injuries too.  £1.8 million for a crock from the 3rd tier to play in the Prem is one massive gamble in my opinion.

One injury (obtained from a bad tackle) doesn''t make him a crock?

He''s less of a ''crock'' from the third tier than someone like Whitbread - who has ultimately been fantastic for us - supposedly was for example.

Pilkington has made 90 league starts in the two years (signing in January ''09 and getting injured in March ''11) since joining Huddersfield. Near enough an ever-present. In fact, getting a broken leg in March and being ready for pre-season training further illustrates that he''s most definitely not a ''crock''.

That said, I know where you''re coming from, and he''s just had a very serious injury. However, if there were any doubts over his long-term fitness, we would not be considering him, so I''ll presume (if we do go after him) that Lambert has - as ever - done his homework.

[quote user="LeJuge"]"He''s decent but should we be spending millions on another league 1 player?"It annoys me when people offer a thinly veiled criticism but offer no alternative options.We have a right winger, and now need a left winger to enable Lambert to play a 4-4-2. McNamee will stay as an emmergency winger as he can play left or right.Seeing as that we now need a left winger, and you seem to object to us signing one from League One, who is it exactly that you propose we buy instead? The best left winger in The Championship, Kris Commons, went to Celtic 6 months ago. I look forward to seeing your long list of options for what is the hardest position to fill in world football. For a team to have two decent left wingers within a decade (e.g. Eadie and Huckerby) is in itself a massive rarity. We were clearly priced out of Snodgrass, whilst Scott Sinclair got promoted. There is nothing wrong with being critical, or critiquing, if you offer alternatives..... but if you don''t come up with alternatives it can really dent your credibility. In fact, not sure why I even wasted the energy on this post. [/quote]Well after that essay I think you should feel a bit silly that he plays on the right wing.

"I notice that Huddersfield are announcing a double signing tomorrow. Would it be possible that a swap deal is on the cards?"

That''s what I reckon. Could well be Cody on his way, and maybe Macca as well.

I have mixed feelings about this player ie. without that injury I would be quite happy to have him on board as it seems he has been somewhat of a star prior to it happening.

It would seem a bit risky as it is impossible to say how the injury will affect his future game and confidence. Sometimes players who break legs never reach their previous standards upon retun.  Also, his recovery is not as advanced as I at first thought. 

http://www.htafc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10312~2382903,00.html

Just light training at the moment, nothing rigorous and the rider that if  there is any pain he will have to slow down.

On  the plus side, his attitude does seem to be first class and he appears to have no hang-ups about re-entering the fray.

If we go ahead with this signing, it will again be a matter of trusting PL and company, something I have no problem with. However, as things are at the moment, I cannot see the player being ready for the season''s opener.

I would prefer the premium to be lower, with the promise of the rest once the player has a certain amount of games under his belt, either reserve or first team. This will insure against his injury not fully repairing. We cannot expect Hudderfield to go short if his form does not reach previous levels. That is our risk.

He must be good, all this uncertainty yet we seem prepared to pay upto £2m for him.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

I have mixed feelings about this player ie. without that injury I would be quite happy to have him on board as it seems he has been somewhat of a star prior to it happening.

It would seem a bit risky as it is impossible to say how the injury will affect his future game and confidence. Sometimes players who break legs never reach their previous standards upon retun.  Also, his recovery is not as advanced as I at first thought. 

http://www.htafc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10312~2382903,00.html

Just light training at the moment, nothing rigorous and the rider that if  there is any pain he will have to slow down.

On  the plus side, his attitude does seem to be first class and he appears to have no hang-ups about re-entering the fray.

If we go ahead with this signing, it will again be a matter of trusting PL and company, something I have no problem with. However, as things are at the moment, I cannot see the player being ready for the season''s opener.

I would prefer the premium to be lower, with the promise of the rest once the player has a certain amount of games under his belt, either reserve or first team. This will insure against his injury not fully repairing. We cannot expect Hudderfield to go short if his form does not reach previous levels. That is our risk.

He must be good, all this uncertainty yet we seem prepared to pay upto £2m for him.

[/quote]

good post, that''s how I see it.

Was in Thorpe Thia last night and over heard the table next door, Cody & MacNamee are lined up as well as 1.5 million for Pilkington.

Also heard the guys talking about the possibilty of signing some lad called Stephen Sama from Liverpool amongst other stuff.

Didn''t recognise them but they seemd to know their stuff. My wife wasn''t too impressed though, spent more time listening to them then her.

I am sure this is a done deal. As others on here have said, Vaughan is big mates with Pilkington and this may have influenced Pilkington''s choice of club.

I think it very possible that a player of ours will be going the other way. This would make perfect sense for Huddersfield if it''s true (allegedly) that they have to pass on 25% of any fee to Pilkington''s previous club, Stockport.

I''d think McDonald or MacNamee is a likely candidate. Shame not OTJ.

Cody and MacNamee plus  £1.5m for Pilkington is too much.

I personally rate Cody at £750, 000 after last season*, and Macca at £250, 000.

£2.5m is too much for a lower league player not yet fully recovered from a serious injury.

* It would be interesting to see what we could get for him on the open market, particularly as I should think Championship sides would now be interested. Cody might not be Premiership class but, as a prolific goalscorer at a lower level he is a massive asset and his true worth should be realised. To me that means not using him as a makeweight in this particular deal. 

Huddersfield are to announce two signings today although it seems a little bit too soon for this to include our players as part of a swap deal. But then again who knows what has been happening behind the scenes?

I could see MacNamee going there on a permanent and Cody as a loan, that would make sense.

One of the two is a Southampton player, unveiled this morning on Huddersfield''s offi site.

Still think it''s very possible one of ours is going the other way. Maybe even Oli?

[quote user="CambsCanary"]One of the two is a Southampton player, unveiled this morning on Huddersfield''s offi site. Still think it''s very possible one of ours is going the other way. Maybe even Oli?[/quote]

Yeah Gobern was highly rumoured amongst the HT fans. Not sure that Oli would be deemed a good signing by the HT fans though, he only scored 3 out of 16 in the same division.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]

Cody and MacNamee plus  £1.5m for Pilkington is too much.

I personally rate Cody at £750, 000 after last season*, and Macca at £250, 000.

£2.5m is too much for a lower league player not yet fully recovered from a serious injury.

* It would be interesting to see what we could get for him on the open market, particularly as I should think Championship sides would now be interested. Cody might not be Premiership class but, as a prolific goalscorer at a lower level he is a massive asset and his true worth should be realised. To me that means not using him as a makeweight in this particular deal. 

[/quote]I agree.  Bennett is a far better player than Pilkington for me and one who has managed to actually win promotion from the 3rd tier - we got him at half that price.Too many people are also forgetting that Pilkington broke his leg and screwed his ankle over in March this year and hasn''t played a competitive game since.Far too many question marks over this for me.  His attitude doesn''t seem to appear to be the best to me either.  There is no way I would sign him at the moment.  We can''t afford to be risking that kind of money.  Couldn''t see this guy being good enough to get too much 1st team action here even at his best.

Oli J, is from Wakefield which is 15-20 minutes from Huddersfield.

Think it would be a good move for both parties, he has tons of mates up here and is popular lad around Wakefield. And I think he''d do a decent job for Hudds.

He''s always done Ok for us, but this is too much of a big ask for him and he is probably behind Wilbs in the pecking order at the moment!

I remember watching Pilkington in the Arsenal v Huddersfield FA Cup game back in Jan. He was one of the best players on the pitch and kept skinning Gibbs for pace (no mean feat).

He''d certainly be a useful addition to the squad as pacy wingers will always have a place in the EPL.

[quote user="Smudger"] I agree.  Bennett is a far better player than Pilkington for me [/quote]

1, They both made the PFA Team of the year - draw

2, Bennett - 1 assist every 2.7 games, Pilkington - 1 assist every 4.3 games - 1-0 to Bennett

3, Bennett - 1 goal in every 6.3 games, Pilkington - 1 goal in every 2.1 games - 1-1 draw.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="Smudger"] I agree.  Bennett is a far better player than Pilkington for me [/quote]

2, Bennett - 1 assist every 2.7 games, Pilkington - 1 assist every 4.3 games - 1-0 to Bennett

3, Bennett - 1 goal in every 6.3 games, Pilkington - 1 goal in every 2.1 games - 1-1 draw.

[/quote]haha if only life and football was as simple as drawing up basic stats like that and drawing conclusions.Bennett has played in a promotion winning team from the 3rd tier and Pilkington has not... 2-1 BennettBennett can play in 3 different positions as opposed to Pilkington''s one... 3-1 Bennett

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[/quote]

haha if only life and football was as simple as drawing up basic stats like that and drawing conclusions.

Bennett has played in a promotion winning team from the 3rd tier and Pilkington has not... 2-1 Bennett

Bennett can play in 3 different positions as opposed to Pilkington''s one... 3-1 Bennett
[/quote]

So why are you trying to use flawed stats to counter mine?

Pilkington can play on either wing (he is ambipedal) or up front, they are similar in many ways but have differences - Pilkington is great at set pieces whereas Bennett is lethal with the ball just outside the box. I would be happy to see them both share the pitch for us and can''t see why you have got it in for an undoubtedely talented player? A couple of million for him is a good price if he lives up to his potential.