Sign in to follow this  
TheGoogler

Daily Mirror has us linked to Huddesfield's Anthony Pilklington for £1.75mil

Link:[url=http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Norwich-City-transfer-news-Anthony-Pilkington-subject-of-1-75million-bid-to-Huddersfield-by-Paul-Lambert-article749540.html]http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Norwich-City-transfer-news-Anthony-Pilkington-subject-of-1-75million-bid-to-Huddersfield-by-Paul-Lambert-article749540.html[/url]

Star and Express have also mentioned it, so it might be true. I know a Huddersfield fan who raves about him and I watched one of their games last season and he was very impressive. He is a similar type of player to Bennett, though.

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]Star and Express have also mentioned it, so it might be true. I know a Huddersfield fan who raves about him and I watched one of their games last season and he was very impressive. He is a similar type of player to Bennett, though.[/quote]

But ambipedal.

Can we really take on the Premier League with a squad made up entirely of Championship and League 1 players ? Elliot Bennett looks like our stand out signing so far and he''s unproven at Championship level  .

Bit worried about this bit:"And Pilkington is the latest target for Lambert as he bids to build a squad capable of competing in the top flight.

The former Stockport player broke his leg in the game against Rochdale in March but will be fit for the start of next"

Some players don''t fully recover from a broken leg, but hopefully a strenuous medical would be part of any deal.

Lambert''s signing record has been excellent thus far - I would argue that only Steven Smith and Wilbraham have been flops, and McNamee 50/50 - but all his signings have added to the squad.

So, we have no real reason to doubt him.

My only concern is that if we start losing a few games, who have we got with that real Premier League nous and experience who will hold us together and not worry about it?  I can see a few of these younger players and / or ones with no PL experience letting their heads get down.  No matter who your manager is, confidence is a big factor in the PL.

I don''t mean we should get over the hill players or ones who have just been relegated, but just a couple of wiser heads - maybe one in defence and one in midfield to add a bit of steel!

Hope you''re ready to get battered by the Pcso forum police!!! How dare you start a similar thread to another!!!!!

There seem to be enough links to suggest an element of truth to this. Sounds like a good player at the right price although there does have to be some concern about his broken leg. Lambert and crew will know a lot of him from league 1 days. If this does happen it is probably the end of the Snodgrass link. I would have prefered him but the money they are talking about is probably double what he is worth in the championship market

A bit concerned at the price tag on this one. Where do they get figures of 1.5 - 2 million for a player whos never played higher than league 1? Where would he fit in? Surely he''d be instead of Snodders then?

I''m still concerned by the lack of big game experience in this squad. Its not a case of big time charlies, just players who are used to playing in front of more than just a bus shelter or an athletics track...

Wiki says it was a dislocated Ankle and broken Fibula, i''m no doctor, but a dislocated ankle is a pretty bad injury, is there a chance the same thing could happen again? I know when a shoulder dislocates its prone to the same injury again.

I dunno, perhaps he could prove us wrong, but this seems like a gamble at the figures quoted...

(I''m now awaiting the usual lynching)

[quote user="Northluck C."]Link:

[url=http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Norwich-City-transfer-news-Anthony-Pilkington-subject-of-1-75million-bid-to-Huddersfield-by-Paul-Lambert-article749540.html]http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Norwich-City-transfer-news-Anthony-Pilkington-subject-of-1-75million-bid-to-Huddersfield-by-Paul-Lambert-article749540.html[/url]
[/quote]

Reading that report is no different to the other three in other media  press release, in kact it is word for word parrot fashion, so I ask the question have they got it from that famouse rumour site.

What sort of player his Pilkington? I notcied from that youtube clip he was on the right wing but cut in to strike the ball with his left foot, so possibly a bit like Snodgrass? How does he compare to Bennett, does he have the same pace etc. or is he slower but skillfull?

All the papers have been given the same rumour clearly but it''s a strange rumour to make up if there isn''t any truth whatsoever.

We have just bought a young, pacy, ex-league one winger who can also play in the hole.

To link us to a very similar player (age, experience, skill-wise) who currently has a broken leg after Bennett''s signing would be bizarre without a hint of truth.

The ''irreplacable'' players in League one can easily stand out at championship level and capable of making the grade at the top level.

To answer Alysha''s question: Pilkington is described on the Huddersfield profile as a "flying winger" on either flank as he is two-footed and he can also play as a striker. He has scored a lot of goals for a winger throughout his career. I wonder if Lambert might be offering McNamee in part exchange as well to make room for Pilkington. The ''broken leg'' wasn''t diagnosed until the ankle was x-rayed, so shouldn''t be a big problem.

Could be a good move, IMO.

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]

To answer Alysha''s question: Pilkington is described on the Huddersfield profile as a "flying winger" on either flank as he is two-footed and he can also play as a striker. He has scored a lot of goals for a winger throughout his career. I wonder if Lambert might be offering McNamee in part exchange as well to make room for Pilkington. The ''broken leg'' wasn''t diagnosed until the ankle was x-rayed, so shouldn''t be a big problem.

[/quote]

sounds good to me [Y]

One thing I noticed though - David McNally -  “We’re pleased we have signed three and we are confident we can complete another two before the lads come back for pre-season training which is the first week of July. That would give us five new faces, there might be one or two more after then, but the aim always was to land Paul’s top five targets prior to the start of first team training so they can have a full pre-season with their colleagues before the season starts in early August."

Is it me, or does this suggest that McNally is confident that the club will be able to bring in all of Lambert''s top five targets before another couple of additons, which begs the question who were the top five? Vaughan, Morison, Bennett, Snodgrass?, ?

[quote user="alysha"][quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]

[/quote]

sounds good to me [Y]

One thing I noticed though - David McNally -  “We’re pleased we have signed three and we are confident we can complete another two before the lads come back for pre-season training which is the first week of July. That would give us five new faces, there might be one or two more after then, but the aim always was to land Paul’s top five targets prior to the start of first team training so they can have a full pre-season with their colleagues before the season starts in early August."

Is it me, or does this suggest that McNally is confident that the club will be able to bring in all of Lambert''s top five targets before another couple of additons, which begs the question who were the top five? Vaughan, Morison, Bennett, Snodgrass?, ?

[/quote]

---

What''s noticeable about that quote is that McNally doesn''t include De Laet in those already signed. So when he talks about signings - and the number envisaged - he seems to be referring only to permanent deals. The implication is that there aren''t any loans deals among Lambert''s top five targets, and possibly not in the other two that would bring the total to seven.

[quote user="CRAZY LEGS"]hope this is true would be our best signing yet[/quote]

Why do you think he would be the best signing yet Crazy Legs?

Personally, I''ve never heard of this player. Nor Bennett until I watched the You Tube clips, so what do I know?!

If this potential signing is actually true, that may be because the Snodgrass thing has just got too silly on price.

I''m hearing from the coaches that Norwich are looking at more than one established Prem player, but that''s hardly surprising news is it? Extracting ''still hungry'' types from their current clubs for the right money is a major challenge; I suppose they''re the bigger fish and therefore it will require a bit more skill to catch them.

Would be a superb signing. Pilkington and Bennett were the top two players'' in League One last year and you only have to look at how Matt Phillips did in the Prem last year to realise people can step up to the demands.

Lambert is creating a great young squad. Almost a dynasty-esque, and it bodes well for the future.

[quote user="Ncfc"]Can we really take on the Premier League with a squad made up entirely of Championship and League 1 players ? Elliot Bennett looks like our stand out signing so far and he''s unproven at Championship level  . [/quote]

So NcFc Is this squad better than 1p5wich?