Sign in to follow this  
greeno_4_england

lack of height

I don''t know if others feel the same but i feel that we have no real ball winner in the air. If docherty isnt playin or is off form then we dont really have anyone who will regularly win the ball in the air. An example of this was against tottenham when keane scored after a catalogue of errors in the box. no one was there to win it in the air. flemo and charlie are too small i feel .....thoughts???

It has been said all season and things have certainly improved in this since Doc moved to the back. Shacks is an option (to labour a point) but agree a centre back, with some pace, is needed to partner Doc.

However I dont think it is just at the back where we are suffering. Apart from the Liverpool game I cant recall many games this season where I have not thought my god they look huge! For some reason we seem to be a team of relative midgets in the prem league. McVeigh is an extreme but sometimes even Damo seems small.

In future physical presence has to be considered when looking at transfer targets; we need to compete in all positions, whether it is defending, holding onto the ball up front or running and retaining the ball in midfield.

OTBC

being tall does not necessarily make you good in the air and vice versa. I play footy on a Saturday and our central midfielder is the smallest player in our team but is also the best in the air! strange but true. I am over 6'' and he is less than 5''6" but he is better in the air than me. If a player is around 6'' then he should be fine as long as he can jump, obviously if you come up again Crouch then it''s a problem but these players are few and far between. I think Johnson seems OK in the air, as does Doc.