Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

I know I'm gona get shot down but........

I''m a little concerned that the signing of Morrison will complete our stiker collection. Bar holt none fill me with confidence for goals and bar vaughan none have premiership experience. Morrison has hardly set the championship alight and there are definatley better options in Graham, Long, Nugent, bothroyd to name a few.

In not completely righting Morrison off however as he is a good player, It''s just not quite the exciting signing I''d hoped for especially at the price talked about. I was hoping we''d be signing a few from the cream of the championship.

I''m aware lots of people trust lamberts decisions, but he''s new to the premiership - are people confident players like Vaughan and Morrison are going to add enough quality to be competitive next year??

I agree , lots of strikers but all with big question marks at that level , would have liked Nugent on a free , very good player.

The thing is whomever we sign we have no guarantee that they will play well for us. Regardless of how much experience they have or what their goal scoring record has been in the past. All we can do is trust that Lambert can pick the right players to do a job.

[quote user="Ncfc"]I agree , lots of strikers but all with big question marks at that level , would have liked Nugent on a free , very good player.
[/quote]

The point that they all have question marks seems to be one of the things Lambert see''s as a positive not a negative. All have something to prove, everyone of them.

Nugent? Bothroyd?  In what universe are they "better".[quote user="lincoln canary"]I''m a little concerned that the signing of Morrison will complete our stiker collection. Bar holt none fill me with confidence for goals and bar vaughan none have premiership experience. Morrison has hardly set the championship alight and there are definatley better options in Graham, Long, Nugent, bothroyd to name a few.

In not completely righting Morrison off however as he is a good player, It''s just not quite the exciting signing I''d hoped for especially at the price talked about. I was hoping we''d be signing a few from the cream of the championship.

I''m aware lots of people trust lamberts decisions, but he''s new to the premiership - are people confident players like Vaughan and Morrison are going to add enough quality to be competitive next year??[/quote]

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

[quote user="Ncfc"]I agree , lots of strikers but all with big question marks at that level , would have liked Nugent on a free , very good player.
[/quote]

The point that they all have question marks seems to be one of the things Lambert see''s as a positive not a negative. All have something to prove, everyone of them.

[/quote]

Agreed, but somtimes theses sorts of players go their whole career with somthing to prove and never actuallly prove it! It''s a bit risky having all of our strikers with somthing to prove, one or two yes but it''s essential there are players that have proved their quality.

And as for " especially at the price talked about", personally I think its a good price for Morison.  Long will go for 7+ million (includin addons etc). Is that a good price? Graham will go for around 4 with add-ons, will he do any better than Morison - nobody knows.Calm down and enjoy the ride, Lambert and Culverhouse know what they are doing.[quote user="lincoln canary"]I''m a little concerned that the signing of Morrison will complete our stiker collection. Bar holt none fill me with confidence for goals and bar vaughan none have premiership experience. Morrison has hardly set the championship alight and there are definatley better options in Graham, Long, Nugent, bothroyd to name a few.

I''m aware lots of people trust lamberts decisions, but he''s new to the premiership - are people confident players like Vaughan and Morrison are going to add enough quality to be competitive next year??[/quote]

In what universe are nugent and bothroyd better? This universe mate! Both have England caps, both have premiership experience and both have scored goals regularly at chamionship and premiership level for different clubs. Morrison is capped for wales, had 1 great season in league one and one good season in the championship.

No evidence that Bothroyd or Nugent are better than Morison and Vaughan.

Saying Nugent as an England cap, so what? So as Michael Ricketts, you want him?

[quote user="CDMullins"]No evidence that Bothroyd or Nugent are better than Morison and Vaughan.

Saying Nugent as an England cap, so what? So as Michael Ricketts, you want him?[/quote]

Ricketts is old and past it, nugent is 27 and in his prime. Nugent has scored goals for fun in the championship for more then one club, Morrison has played just one season in the championship and despite scoring a few has a inferior record to nugents. Case closed!? With u cd Mullins probally not! By the way is hoolahan still a crap one trick poney??

Boothroyd certainly has an attitude (& disciplinary) problem and would be a disruptive influence to the dressing room. Nugent also has a similar reputation.

Nugent did barely anything in the Championship last season, considering he''s the international star you make out.

13 goals and by all accounts offered little else.

Arrogant attitude that i''m sure Lambert doesn''t want within his squad.

Morrison is very much an old school forward, he''ll work the opposition across the pitch, put himself about and score goals as well.

The same Bothroyd who disappeared when Cardiff needed him?

[/quote]

Nugent had a chance to come on loan allegedly, but turned it down as we were not good enough for him, so I''m not bothered if we overlook him. 

Totally agree with yellow blood.

I love the Lambo/Culverhouse criteria they demand. I am really happy with Vaughan and Morrison and both I assume feel their game will improve with us.

What I have seen of CMS, he too impresses me and it wouldn''t surprise me if we get him too.

good point Lincoln

look at last summer, wise heads such as yourself were pointing out that we did not have any championship proven strikers - all we had were league 1 players

did they listen, not a bit of it and we ended up with .... how many goals come May ?

it makes you wonder why the club bothers paying the likes of Lambert and his so called coaches - what do they know ?

I''m pretty happy with our forward selection now. Looking through the bottom half of the Premiership there''s not really much better, especially in terms of depth. But for my money our best strikers are still Hot and Jackson. Vaughan looks a good prospect but is a bit of an unknown in terms of how much of his early promise he can fulfil. Morison looks a solid signing and did well first the first half of last season, but in his really good season (League 1) he scored the same number as Chris Martin...

Luckily Holt is a really great player and hasn''t let us down once since signing for us and I don''t see any reason he will next season. Also Jackson looked unplayable for the last couple of months of the season and hopefully will push on from there.

My guess is that Jackson will be our top scorer next year.

Oh and ''Morrison as had one good championship season''?

Opposed to Bothroyds half a good season?

Why don''t we trust in Lambert again....he came good with Jackson did he not when many doubted him...and he got the goals that got us over the finish line OTBC

It looks like Morison will complete our striker line up for next season.  I would be surprised if we didn''t sign other forward players attacking midfielders/wingers.

I am probably going to get shot down for this but I would bring in one more striker and that striker would be Kevin Phillips. I think his experience at the top level, professionalism and he still has an eye for goal would be invaluable for us in our first season back in the Premiership.  He wouldn''t play every game, but he would get us goals, and I just think that his professionalism and experience as much as anything else would give us that bit extra next season.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Oh and ''Morrison as had one good championship season''?

Opposed to Bothroyds half a good season?[/quote] I''m happy with Morison but Morison scored 6 goals in 2011 whilst Bothroyd scored 5. Pretty much the same, so your smart arse comment (as per usual) doesn''t really add up.

OP said Morison had ''one good Championship season'' - Not me.

I said Bothroyd had half a good season! Correct?

[quote user="CDMullins"]OP said Morison had ''one good Championship season'' - Not me.

I said Bothroyd had half a good season! Correct?[/quote]

Come on bothroyd is a better player then Morrison, surely you can see that?!

As for nugent I still think this guy at the right club could be prolific - I''ve got a mate who''s a Preston fan and said that his attitude whilst he was there was first class, in fact model professional - where has this perception that he''s arrogant and would upset morale come from? Is it because of the banter he had with the barclay this season?

[quote user="CDMullins"]OP said Morison had ''one good Championship season'' - Not me.

I said Bothroyd had half a good season! Correct?[/quote]

Come on bothroyd is a better player then Morrison, surely you can see that?!

As for nugent I still think this guy at the right club could be prolific - I''ve got a mate who''s a Preston fan and said that his attitude whilst he was there was first class, in fact model professional - where has this perception that he''s arrogant and would upset morale come from? Is it because of the banter he had with the barclay this season?

Absolutly not!

Theres no evidence to prove Bothroyd is any better than Morison. I guess only time will tell.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="CDMullins"]OP said Morison had ''one good Championship season'' - Not me. I said Bothroyd had half a good season! Correct?[/quote] Come on bothroyd is a better player then Morrison, surely you can see that?! As for nugent I still think this guy at the right club could be prolific - I''ve got a mate who''s a Preston fan and said that his attitude whilst he was there was first class, in fact model professional - where has this perception that he''s arrogant and would upset morale come from? Is it because of the banter he had with the barclay this season?[/quote]

Model pro?

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/4529341.Hampshire_footballers_in_early_morning_fight/?action=complain&cid=7887834

I''m very happy with our striking options now.  And if there was one area where I wasn''t worried about experince in the Premiership then its the strikers because I would much rather have an experienced midfielder or centre back.  Our strikers all have something to prove and will all give 110%, they are also all goalscorers, they might not get you 20 goals each but I''m confident that depending on how many appearences they make that they could all get 12+ (obviously not all of them get 12+ in the same season but if each one played every game then thats what I thin they would get).

When you look at our strike force it is very versitile.  You have two old fashioned battlers in Morison and Holt.  Two pacey off the shoulder players in Jackson and Vaughan and a more creative striker in Chris Martin.  When you look at it like that it is pretty good.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="CDMullins"]OP said Morison had ''one good Championship season'' - Not me. I said Bothroyd had half a good season! Correct?[/quote] Come on bothroyd is a better player then Morrison, surely you can see that?! As for nugent I still think this guy at the right club could be prolific - I''ve got a mate who''s a Preston fan and said that his attitude whilst he was there was first class, in fact model professional - where has this perception that he''s arrogant and would upset morale come from? Is it because of the banter he had with the barclay this season?[/quote]

You really must be deluded if you have that impression of Nugent. He is a washed-up, one-time big-time Charlie and the last person that we need within a million miles of our Club.

It would appear that we have signed Vaughan & Morison (assuming he does agree terms) for less than £4M. Appears to be good business to me.

Correct me if I am wrong but Morison got 15 goals last season - a decent return for someone in their first season at that level - also, did he not get injured against us and miss a few games? I also recall him getting sent off at some point towards the end of the season. He is younger than Bothroyd and as others have stated, he went missing at the end of the season when desperately needed (suspect he knew he was likely to be in the prem anyway!!).

Nugent has consistently failed to deliver in the premiership for Portsmouth & Burnley.

I could also be cynical and say that Holt, Jackson, Vaughan & Morison would be a formidable Championship strike force.....

If we can keep James Vaughan fit, well, I''ve heard enough to know we''ve got a top class striker there. He''s young and got plenty to prove, but don''t worry about his pedigree - As long as he stays fit then my opinion is that he will go on to become a top Premier League striker, I''m sure of that. His ability has never been in doubt at Everton. Another potential gem from Sir Lambert. Can''t wait for pre-season...

It''s really starting to annoy me that people keep moaning about not signing players  which "excite" them.

Look at Blackpool last season before the season started. Bar Charlie Adam, who in their squad would you of thought would have gone head to head with some of the best players in the world? They were a "team" with a fantastic team spirit with a never say die attitude which made them one of the most exciting teams to watch! Would you of thought the gracefull Gary Taylor Fletcher scored a goal to put them 2-1 up at Old Trafford which almost kept them up?

I feel with the team spirit we have plus the hungry talented players we are adding I really think we will have a cracking season and I''m more than confident we will hold our own.

In lambert I trust and the more I think about the new season the more I cant wait for it to start!