Sign in to follow this  
drunkunmunkey

Starting line up next season

Would you be confident going into the first game of next season with a lineup resembling this;                       RuddyMartin NEW Mills? (Reading) Barnett Tierney                        CroftsSnodgrass                         Whittingham                     Hoolahan                  Holt     JacksonSUBS: NEW GK (Hanhemahn?), Drury, Whitbread, Fox, Surman, Morison, VaughanLooks a strong bench. Think id like to see us linked to a few more defensive options, looks like our front line is sorted if Morison comes in, would like a bit more steel in midfeild though. A tall hard man at the base, someone who can dominate, bully, and win headers. Someone like Diame, Moussa, or Abdou although rather short. Another CB, possibly two, Matt Mills or Antony Gerrard maybe? And a backup rightback. And an experienced GK.

I have a strong feeling that our starting line-up on the first game of the season is going to be:

Ruddy

Martin         Barnett         Whitbread      Tierney

Fox

Crofts                                                Surman

Hoolahan

Holt                           Jackson

That''s not to suggest that Lambert is prone to sentiment, but I feel that the majority of the first team who finished the season have earned the right to be there, barring injury or poor pre-season form.

I also think that starting XI looks pretty solid for a lower-Prem team...

I honestly don''t think Barnett will start. Ward and Whitbread were both bought by Lambert as his number 1 centre backs. Unless we sign another defender (which I think we will) then they will both start. Yes, Barnett was superb when he was playing, but the only reason we signed him was because of injuries. I can''t see Lambert dropping Ward for him..Anyway, we shall see. ILWT!

[quote user="drunkunmunkey"]Would you be confident going into the first game of next season with a lineup resembling this;

Ruddy

Martin NEW Mills? (Reading) Barnett Tierney

Crofts
Snodgrass                         Whittingham
                     Hoolahan

Holt     Jackson

SUBS: NEW GK (Hanhemahn?), Drury, Whitbread, Fox, Surman, Morison, Vaughan

Looks a strong bench. Think id like to see us linked to a few more defensive options, looks like our front line is sorted if Morison comes in, would like a bit more steel in midfeild though. A tall hard man at the base, someone who can dominate, bully, and win headers. Someone like Diame, Moussa, or Abdou although rather short. Another CB, possibly two, Matt Mills or Antony Gerrard maybe? And a backup rightback. And an experienced GK.
[/quote]

So there''s no place in your squad for Elliott Ward and you''re suggesting the signing of Anthony Gerrard at centreback.

Deary me.

Ruddy      Martin    Whitbread    Barnett   Tierney                              Croft       Snodgrass                            Bennett                           Hoolihan                   Holt              VaughanHahnemann?, Morrison, Ward, Surman, Jackson, Drury, Fox/Whittingham?

Without wanting to sound rude, there are atleast another 4-5 new players to come in, rendering this entire post pointless for another 2 months at least.

I think we''re going to have to change formation a lot more next season, over the last 2 we''ve pretty much stuck to the diamond and other teams have had to react to it, not sure sure that''ll happen against Man U etc.