Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

I'm ready to get attacked heavily criticised for this

The signings of James Vaughan and Steve Morison just dont excite me the way the likes of Dean Ashton, Darren Huckerby and Robbie Earnshaw did (obviously we were in the championship when Earnie and Hucks signed but you get the point).It''s not that I dont rate the two players I guess I just dont know much about either of them.They just dont appear to be good premiership standard signings to me- but then again knowing how good a manager and coaching team we''ve got I''ve got every confidence they''ll do well- we only need them to be good against the likes of WBA, Stoke, Wigan etc anyway [:)]Does anybody else feel the same? Oh and dont get me wrong, I''m more than willing to give them a chance and I dont think I''ve judged them much yet- it''s just ''oh Norwich have signed Steve Morison?'' doesnt really excite me. ILWT!OTBC

I think both signings are both good players,but with the coaching they will get at Norwich they will become VERY good players.

did anyone really know much about Holt or Crofts before we signed them?

I have faith in Lambert brining in players he sees stepping up to the challenge of the task next season for us.......I''ve seen Morison play a few times at Millwall and he IS very much perfect for the setup of our team.

I''d have preferred CMS brought in, but Morison is an experienced striker and a player who could easily work upfront with either Holty or Jackson.

Can''t wait to see who we sign next and look forward to the pre-season friendlies to observe the new-look line-up!

If Lambert has got £40m to spend on transfer fees/wages etc, it''s not all going to go on 2 £20m forwards. He''s got to rebuild/strengthen the whole team with that money so it''s a tough ask but he and his management team will do every thing possible to establish NCFC as a prem side.

We don''t want or need big time Charlies, we need players who will add to the squad and team we already have.

Last time we got in the Prem we failed to do that and ended up with old has-beens or not good enoughs who neither added to team or squad.

I can see a few Premier League defenders getting a bit concerned about facing a combination of Vaughan, Holt, Morison, Jackson and Wes.

Pace, strength, aerial ability and quick feet are all mixed in there.

attacked ? heavily criticised ? for what ?

the players don''t inspire you but you trust the manager and so are willing tio give them a try

blimey, that is a conterversial position to take - can''t see many other city fans feeling that way

still, at least you are ready .... that''s what matters

Morison and Vaughan will do well and should we drop down they are the type of players that would get us back again. Difficult to compare v the names you mentioned. Hucks was a proven one off perhaps Bellamy now is the best comparison . Ashton was a gamble that came off no reason why some of our signings should not hit it off either. earnshaw never really made it in the premiership and has been a very good championship striker. I am very pleased with our signings and more to come!!

Let us believe in Lamberts choice of a player, after all he has got a very good record of getting it right. I believe we aren''t after any stars, more like we need pieces of the PL jigsaw that all go together regardless of the way you fit them together.

Not singling any out when we were previously in the Prem, Johnsson (excuse spelling) promised so much but was never up to the fight. Helveg who was the national captain for his country and got picked to play was not making the Norwich team under Worthy...and he was a good servant when he eventually got put into the team. Francis at Fulham...need I say more...!!

This time around I believe in both the manager and the team he will assemble...OTBC

Before Ashton signed for us, he played for Crewe. He was very good at Crewe, but they were about 10th in the Championship. No Prem experience before he came to us.

I don''t think Holt should play until he gets more Premier League experience - or until he is Premier League proven

For the money we seem to be paying I agree with the OP. The fees seem close to what we paid for Ashton and Earnie, but those 2 were clearly class strikers at championship level and worth the risk at Premier level. We knew those 2 would bring us goals and so it was exciting.

Vaughan and Morison on the other hand look like good Championship strikers but by no means outstanding and certainly not to warrant similar fees to Ashton and Earnie. They don''t give you a buzz to hear they are now Norwich players. It looks like a gamble to me, but I''m giving the manager the benefit of the doubt and hope they prove to be inspired signings.

I''ll say this. I too knew nothing really about Vaughan and Morison (Morison I still don''t really but, with respect, am looking forward to see him playing in a better side than Millwall). Having spoken to a true Evertonian last night I have no worries about James Vaughan. He was raving about him, very unlucky with injuries, but his pedigree is something else apparently - We have a great talent on our hands there, that was made VERY clear to me.

I would never doubt Mr Lambert. Unless he signed me of course.

[quote user="City1st"]I don''t think Holt should play until he gets more Premier League experience - or until he is Premier League proven[/quote]

How does he get more Premier League experience? By playing? But he shouldn''t play "until he gets more Premier League experience" !! I assume that you are on a wind-ip.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="City1st"]I don''t think Holt should play until he gets more Premier League experience - or until he is Premier League proven[/quote]

How does he get more Premier League experience? By playing? But he shouldn''t play "until he gets more Premier League experience" !! I assume that you are on a wind-ip.

[/quote]

Or even wind-UP !!

The signings of Vaughan and Morison didn''t exactly make me jump round the room. But Lambert has proved me wrong enough times now that I fully trust in anyone he brings in, because we can be sure that from a Lambert signing we will get insurmountable determination and a desire to improve. If Vaughan and Morison aren''t Prem quality now, give Lambert, Culverhouse et al a couple of months with them in training and they will be.CTID

It''s probably fair to say that Vaughan and Morison aren''t going to make everyone sit up and think we are going to storm the Premier League, but that isn''t really the point. Both are decent (''hungry'') players, and will want to prove themselves: IMO precisely the sort of player we need to be getting...though would probably like some Premier experience in the side, too.

Incidentally, on the transfer fees, CaptnCanary said that these guys are costing not far off what we paid for Ashton/Earnie, but those transfers were quite a few years ago now (and we''re nowhere near close to the £3.5m paid for Earnie with either). What with all the enhanced Premier league money, a £1.5m transfer fee today is probably more akin to a £1m-odd fee when we last played in the top tier (the sort of price we paid for Jonsson)....or put another way, Ashton would have cost us £4m+ in today''s market (particularly the way things go in January transfer windows). IMO these signings aren''t a bargain, but nor are they that pricey - I think we just need to get used to Premier prices!

On CMS, I may well be proven to be very wrong, but have long wondered whether we had pulled out of getting CMS when it went ''off'' in March. Remember McNally was not a happy bunny and it could be that we decided at that point to look elsewhere. For me, he is in no way a surer bet than either Morison or Vaughan, and you could argue he might be a worse bet, coming from League 1. But it does seem they want almost as much for him as Vaughan (1.5m) and Morison (2.1m) put together, which feels rather high. I guess we will only know for sure with hindsight.

="First Wizard"]Lambert rates him mate, thats good enough in my book.

Exactly!

I remember being underwhelmed when we signed Andrew Crofts (who!) last summer and look what he did for us!

The poster who started this thread mentioned West Brom. Well they signed the defensive genius Macauley from S cum last week and given a choice of him or Vaughen or Morrison I''d definately go for the latter 2!

I absolutely agree with CT. I think that if we continue to sign players of the pedigree of Vaughan and Morrison then it is clear that we are rebuilding a strong championship team. Can''t help thinking that we need (and have the resources) to aim a bit higher. Think that with the clear signal from the board that they will back the manager with funds that we should be trying to stay up next year. Lambert is a very good manager for milking the best out of his players and the bottom half of the prem is not at its greatest, but we need to be improving on quality in most positions. A long way to go in the rebuilding process but I hope we can see further additions that have proven quality for the league we are entering. Not sayng we need to break the bank or splash out on luxury signings; there are plenty of canny deals out there. Lambert may be struggling, as we aren''t the most attractive club to come to, and these guys may be a step lower than what he wanted, but Worthington was able to bring in some recognised talent last time. I trust the guy, but really would like to see a bit more prem pedigree. For what it''s worth I think we will do that in other positions but can''t see Vaughan having an immeditae impact and can''t see any other strikers in our squad stepping up apart from Holt, who just impresses me more every time I see him play.

I think these are both excellent signings to be honest and exactly the types of player we should be looking at. Plucking the strongest players from the Championship.

Would''ve rather seen Graham or Maynard, but fair play, they may have been priced out of our market. |Still hoping out of all the players we have been linked to that we can sign Snodgrass and De Laet.

Glad that Lambert is making the decisions and not you.  Two GREAT SIGNINGS in my book!

[quote user="Smudger"]Glad that Lambert is making the decisions and not you.  Two GREAT SIGNINGS in my book!
[/quote]

Absolutely! As much as I''d like to think, I don''t think I could quite have pulled off what he did in the past few seasons! As for Vaughan and Morrison; well, we will see I guess. If you can say that to me at the end of next season then I will humbly (is that a word?) confer.

[quote user="kiwigreenandgold"]I absolutely agree with CT. I think that if we continue to sign players of the pedigree of Vaughan and Morrison then it is clear that we are rebuilding a strong championship team. Can''t help thinking that we need (and have the resources) to aim a bit higher. Think that with the clear signal from the board that they will back the manager with funds that we should be trying to stay up next year. Lambert is a very good manager for milking the best out of his players and the bottom half of the prem is not at its greatest, but we need to be improving on quality in most positions. A long way to go in the rebuilding process but I hope we can see further additions that have proven quality for the league we are entering. Not sayng we need to break the bank or splash out on luxury signings; there are plenty of canny deals out there. Lambert may be struggling, as we aren''t the most attractive club to come to, and these guys may be a step lower than what he wanted, but Worthington was able to bring in some recognised talent last time. I trust the guy, but really would like to see a bit more prem pedigree. For what it''s worth I think we will do that in other positions but can''t see Vaughan having an immeditae impact and can''t see any other strikers in our squad stepping up apart from Holt, who just impresses me more every time I see him play.[/quote]

I don''t know what you do for a living but you are obviously wasted in it. If only McNally and Lambert had known earlier they could have whisked you into Carrow Road  and let you assemble the squad for this season for half the price as they obviously know nothing about ''canny deals''. Thinking about it they should have got you in a lot earlier than that and saved a few grand on our scouting network as well as helping out Delia with the loaves and fishes.

They excite me as much as the Wilbraham signing only for the fact I knew nothing of the two guys but I trust Lambert.....we need to strengthen up the back big time. We let in too many goals last year but that was also due to the attacking football we play

To be fair to CT, I can''t remember any signing exciting me as much as Huckerby''s. When he first came here, he seemed so unobtainable on a permanent basis.

He then played like a genius and along with Eadie imo was the most exciting player I have ever seen for us (in over 40years) but his agent said "no chance."

When we finally got his signature - I have never been so excited at any player joining us (much more so than Martin Peters).

And the excitement was so justified!

But I trust Lambert and am sure they will will be great players.

But Huckerby was just such an exciting player...

[quote user="Smudger"]Glad that Lambert is making the decisions and not you.  Two GREAT SIGNINGS in my book![/quote]I agree with this and as others have also said, these are precisely the types of player we need to be signing.  It''s a policy that''s served us extremely well up to now.  Rather that than expensive, mercenary journeymen which we have seen rather too much of in the past.

Thank you so much for the kind words Joanna. Indeed, your encouraging sentiments may well spur me to approach the board (although, I''m sure, as you say, that I shall be ''whisked'' into Carrow Road immediately) with my plans for half-price squad assembly. Yes! They should have got me in a lot earlier shouldn''t they, although I''m not sure I could spare the time to help Delia out with the catering. I''ve got a great idea; maybe you could pop on an apron and give her a hand, there''s a love.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]It''s probably fair to say that Vaughan and Morison aren''t going to make everyone sit up and think we are going to storm the Premier League, but that isn''t really the point. Both are decent (''hungry'') players, and will want to prove themselves: IMO precisely the sort of player we need to be getting...though would probably like some Premier experience in the side, too. Incidentally, on the transfer fees, CaptnCanary said that these guys are costing not far off what we paid for Ashton/Earnie, but those transfers were quite a few years ago now (and we''re nowhere near close to the £3.5m paid for Earnie with either). What with all the enhanced Premier league money, a £1.5m transfer fee today is probably more akin to a £1m-odd fee when we last played in the top tier (the sort of price we paid for Jonsson)....or put another way, Ashton would have cost us £4m+ in today''s market (particularly the way things go in January transfer windows). IMO these signings aren''t a bargain, but nor are they that pricey - I think we just need to get used to Premier prices! On CMS, I may well be proven to be very wrong, but have long wondered whether we had pulled out of getting CMS when it went ''off'' in March. Remember McNally was not a happy bunny and it could be that we decided at that point to look elsewhere. For me, he is in no way a surer bet than either Morison or Vaughan, and you could argue he might be a worse bet, coming from League 1. But it does seem they want almost as much for him as Vaughan (1.5m) and Morison (2.1m) put together, which feels rather high. I guess we will only know for sure with hindsight.[/quote]

When you put it that way it sounds fair enough - but it depends if you believe we paid 1.5m and 2.1m or if you believe we will pay 2.5m and 2.8m. Obviously we don''t know the details of addons and how likely they are to be triggered but with the latter figures they are pretty similar to what we paid for Ashton yet do not inspire the same excitement levels. At least they do have the potential to become very exciting signings, particularly Vaughan being the younger Premier scorer to date.