Sign in to follow this  
Viva_Marc_Libbra

Squad Wages- any idea?

I''m quite interested to know what we''re paying our players on a weekly basis.

Now G.Holt has signed a new deal reasonably recently I would imagine he''s the highest paid, followed by Surman, Hooly, Ruddy. But does anyone have any specific numbers on what they''re taking home a week? Can''t be much more than £20,000 after the promotion wage bump.

If we were paying a squad of 25 players, £20k a week, that would be £26m a year! I hope none of them are earning more than £10k a week and most on a fair bit less than that. Its still amazing money.

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]If we were paying a squad of 25 players, £20k a week, that would be £26m a year! I hope none of them are earning more than £10k a week and most on a fair bit less than that. Its still amazing money.[/quote]

I think you will be suprised to find that the average wage will be between about £10k and £15k a week. These are now premiership players and their wages will reflect that...

They will mostly have had clauses such as ''Promotion = 20% pay rise'' etc... but will also have ''Relegation = 20% pay cut'' etc...

There will be one or two HIGH earners by our standards, around the £20k mark. I''d say new signings will be paid highest to attract them, such as Snodgrass if we get him.

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]If we were paying a squad of 25 players, £20k a week, that would be £26m a year! I hope none of them are earning more than £10k a week and most on a fair bit less than that. Its still amazing money.[/quote]

If that was all the wages we were paying that would equate to roughly 50% of our income which is very good when compared to other clubs.

[quote user="The Walking Man "]

If that was all the wages we were paying that would equate to roughly 50% of our income which is very good when compared to other clubs.

[/quote]

Yeah, percentage wise I guess you have a good point knowing about some Premier League clubs wage bills. But we are newly promoted. With our Championship income what do you think our total wage bill was last year? Something between £4-8m I would guess. If I''m anywhere close, even with an increase of 20% for promotion we would be looking at a wage bill no higher than £10m prior to new signings. I would also expect the club to keep the wage bill affordable in the event of relegation.

Hard to know, there was probably a blanket clause in players contract to get a good increase on promotion. For fiscal year 2010 which is the most recent information I could find, and covers our time in League 1 our wage bill was 12.2m but that''s for the whole club not just the players.

Last time we were in the Premiership our wage bill got to 16.9m so I''d imagine we''d be around there + inflation. According to the Bank of England inflation calculator that would work out as just short of 20m.

So if we have a squad of around 22-25 players that''s less than 10k a week on average.

Just in case anyone was interested I got the figures from that great blog about Norwich''s finances posted a few months ago:

http://swissramble.blogspot.com/search/label/Norwich%20City

I think we have to remember that the players we got in last Summer would have been on tidy wages e.g. Surman, i''m not suggesting that he''s on millions but I bet it''s a decent amount purely to persuade him to come to Norwich last Summer. But I reckon we''ll have wage bill in the region of lower £20-25m by the time the season starts. Wasn''t it rumoured that Stephen Hughes was on £7k a week?