Sign in to follow this  
nicho

Fox

With possibly snodgrass and bennett coming in it tells me that crofts will be playing as the defensive midfielder trying to stop play in front of the CB''s. Which leaves the question of Fox. He was brilliant last year and his passing is sublime but it looks like hes going to be the one that misses out here.

I expect lambert to give everyone an equal chance to prove themselves.

Fox was not in favour i seem to remember for part of last season, but then forced his way into the team.

The problem with this is that Fox orchestrated most of our attacks while on the pitch. We always worked it from the back and it was very often down to the decision Whitbread or Fox made as to how we attacked.Fox is my favourite player without a doubt but I always try be objective. I don''t think we should be contemplating playing without either Fox or Crofts at the moment. We are going to need some bite in our midfield but we are also going to need our decision maker in there. Out of our current midfield before signings, it would be Surman who I believe offers the least but that''s just my opinion.Anyone know what Snodgrass or Bennett could be like on the left?

Don''t think so myself, but we will see. 2 players for every position.

Crofts/Bennett   Snodgrass/Fox

I know we haven''t signed them all so its premature, but the numbers and positions are just what we need.

-------------------ruddy-----------------------

martin---barnett--whitbread--tierney

--------------crofts---fox-------------------

snodgrass--hoolahan--vaughan

--------------------holt--------------

perhaps if the diamond isn''t working?

Snodgrass would be on the left. Bennett on the right hoolahan attacking midfielder and crofts defensive midfielder Imo. we would then lack that vision from the back but would you rather have a lightweight but good passer of the ball in midfield or a strong tackling midfielder that maybe lacks a bit more vision its a hard one but ultimately wed have a lot of options in midfield.

Crofts & Fox = CMSnodgrass & Bennet = WingersIf we want to stay up, we need to be able to play more then just the narrow diamond, hence the interest in them two.

I imagine that would be how we could setup away from home but with Vaughan and Hoolahan swapping positions.I do think that Holt and Jackson deserve their chances first as they got us there in the first place so maybe Jackson instead of Vaughan at first and see if he can do it in the prem.

For me Lambo''s biggest test this summer is to work out how to give us greater defensive cover from the midfield without losing the passing ability in there. Fox is a great little player and makes us tick. I think that in terms of our own football we look better with him at the base of the diamond then we do with Crofts there. However, defensively it leaves the back 4 rather exposed and I think in the prem they will need a better shield.

Anyway ILWT!

Bennett also has played as much as a central midfielder for Brighton as he has a winger.

I''m surprised so many dismiss Surman so quickly.

On his day, he has really shown Premier League quality, IMHO, probably more so than many other players.

Fox did have a great end to the season and as others have said i''m sure he''ll get his chance.  I thought Crofts did very well in that position when concentrating on defending, but when he went forward it did leave us a little exposed.  I think as an allrounder Crofts is the better player but in the PL teams like us really need someone to sit in front of the back 4 and not move.

staying in the PL is all that matters and Lambert has to bring in enough players to have strength and depth in every position.  he didn''t mind dropping players last season who helped win League 1 and i''m sure the same will be true next season.

We''re going to need a squad of players and the ability to play different systems in different types of game, wingers were always going to come in this summer. When Lambert gets in a defensively minded midfielder are we going to have another thread about Fox and Surman?