Sign in to follow this  
Grant Holt is a Monster

Buying strikers for a more defensive formation

I have a theory that despite us signing strikers like Roy Keane signed Sunderland reserves, PL may actually be looking to play with only one out-and-out forward next season.

Certainly the current fashion is to try and emulate Barcelona''s approach of having good players with lots of movement and no one focal point. Whilst I don''t think we''ll go that far, I can see us utilising a 4-2-3-1 with Crofts or A.N.Other joining Fox in front of the back four for protection. We then have a system that can accomodate Wes and two more attacking midfielders (Bennett/Snodgrass/Both?) or one of the strikers can simply play deeper (Vaughan would be able to, and Martin already has many times). Someone like Jackson could still be utilised as one of the wide players in the three running the channels and using his pace. The benefit is that we retain numbers in the middle and give 4 players at least the licence to go forward all the time with the potential for full backs to join in, plus we add a defensive midfielder to help out at the back.

I have a feeling that Morrison and Vaughan will be our first choice strikers,holt and Jacko Backup.Chris Martin in the reservesCody mac and Oli Johnson out the door...

Both Vaughan & Morrison runs themselves into the ground and stretch defenders. Morrison in particular is a big lad who puts himself about and causes problems whilst Vaughan is quick and pushes defences deeper.

He''s just providing as many options as he possibly can, there is no way we''ll play the diamond as regularly as we have over the past 2 years and wide men will be needed when using 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-3-3/4-5-1 systems.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]I have a feeling that Morrison and Vaughan will be our first choice strikers,holt and Jacko Backup.Chris Martin in the reservesCody mac and Oli Johnson out the door...

[/quote]Im not so sure, i think all 4 are there to fight for places, Lambert wont have made his mind up about starters until pre season.  See how everyone comes back, who looks sharpest.  We need players competing and quality in depth.  This is where Blackpool were found out, they didnt have backups for their stars.  We now have 4 strikers who i think can score in the prem, as soon as 1 loses form they will be rotated, causing the dropped player to work his socks off to get back in the team.  Jackson and Vaughan are similar, Holt and Morrison also similar.  We now need id say 3 wingers 1 left 1 right and hopefully one comfortable on either flank (Bennet, Snodgrass + ANother).  Someone to compete with Wes (Pacheco possibly 6 month loan see if he is up to it).  Another experienced Defensive Mid, Rightback to compete with Martin ( i dont buy into get a backup in, waste of money.  Buy someone who can compete with Martin and if possible someone better if money allows.  No place for sentiment in the prem regardless of how he did last season)  at least 1 prem experienced CB and an experienced GK to compete with Ruddy.Anyone disagree?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]I have a feeling that Morrison and Vaughan will be our first choice strikers,holt and Jacko Backup.Chris Martin in the reservesCody mac and Oli Johnson out the door...

[/quote]I fail to see how we can drop Holt for Morison. No defender in the Premier League will enjoy playing against Holt, he has outscored Morison in both divisions over the last two seasons, he is a big character, our captain, and our leader. He would probably be the first name on the teamsheet, for me.

With Premiership Referees along with Premiership diving players, Holt will be probably suspended for much of next season on yellows. We need depth up front because of injury or suspension. Lambert says 7. Wouldn''t surprise me if we got 9.

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]With Premiership Referees along with Premiership diving players, Holt will be probably suspended for much of next season on yellows. We need depth up front because of injury or suspension. Lambert says 7. Wouldn''t surprise me if we got 9.[/quote]I dunno, Grant Holt over the past couple of seasons in the lower leagues has been very similar to Kevin Davies in the Premier League, in the sense that they always seem to be around the top of the fouls committed and free kicks awarded tables. So the Premier League referees thing shouldn''t make too much of a difference.