Sign in to follow this  
zak123

Andrew Surman?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/steveclaridge/2011/05/claridge_kicks_off_27.html

Surman has played fantastically well this season when he has been on, however having only played 2/5ths of our games is he really worthy of Championship team of the year?

To be honest, I think he has had some good games and some games when you wouldn''t have known he was on the pitch, add this to the fact he was injured for most of the season, it''s a joke he has been put in Championship team of the year; typical Clarridge - he must have just thought that Andrew Surman was arguably our ''bigger name'' signing last summer, so thought he will do

Surman was an integral part of our team during the run in but was injured for much of the season!

This shows that Claridge is full of shi te cause no way should Surman be in the team of the season!

Steve Claridge has always rated Surman. When he was writing scout

reports for the guardian he commented how good a passer he thought he

was and sang his praises.As for Surman being in the team of the

year... meh. I''m not going to complain as I really rate the lad and

consider him one of our best players (at the moment) I think he''s there

purely because out of all the left midfielders in the championship he is

the best by some distance as there aren''t alot of genuine wide

midfielders who play that left role. I consider it a little harsh that

he was placed ahead of others but as Claridge pointed out alot of people

don''t notice what he offers and you can only tell after an extended run

in the side.Steve Claridges report on Surman can be found

below:http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/feb/26/southampton

Hahahaha Surman in the team of the year, you have to be kidding me, in my opinion one of the weakest postiions this year was the left side of midfield and he failed to sure it up most of the season, lets bring in some class wingers for competition. Also to the player who said Surman is a proper left sided midfieder, he really is not, watch his positioning in the game, we play for interlocking midfielders, Surman does not seem to have the cross or the pace to doa  job as an outright winger. Anyway we are in the prem so all the players who got us there are pure class!!!

So a pundit gives his opinion and rates one of our players and we start saying how poor surman is? give me a break

its all about opinions - he was injured; came in once fit and was part of the superb run that got us promoted, scoring & creating some crucial goals in the process

We know its a team game - but well done Surman - you deserve it as much as any other city player!

[quote user="Gareth"]As for Surman being in the team of the

midfielders who play that left role.[/quote]Made all the more hilarious given that he''s placed Surman on the right side of midfield.

[quote user="John"][quote user="Gareth"]As for Surman being in the team of the

midfielders who play that left role.[/quote]Made all the more hilarious given that he''s placed Surman on the right side of midfield.[/quote]I can think of several reasons why that might be:Firstly the tactical reason of placing Surman on the right as someone who prefers to cut in onto his stronger left foot. If Claridge really intended it than it is a smart tactical move (I''ve beleived for a long time that Crofts and Surman should switch sides and rely on cutting into the midfield)Secondly these teams are never designed properly. They are merley the 11 best players in the championship in the designers opinion, that''s why there is so little focus amongst teams of the year in regard to defensive players (now that I think about it this render my point above obsolete. oops.).Thirdly Clardige knows very little about football in my opinion. Whilst he knows a little about players he knows precisely nothing in regards to their finer details and show a profound lack of tactical knowledge (like most british TV pundits nowadays). Clardige is just another ''ex-player so must know a bit'' pundit. 

[quote user="priceyrice"]Hahahaha Surman in the team of the year, you have to be kidding me, in my opinion one of the weakest postiions this year was the left side of midfield and he failed to sure it up most of the season, lets bring in some class wingers for competition. Also to the player who said Surman is a proper left sided midfieder, he really is not, watch his positioning in the game, we play for interlocking midfielders, Surman does not seem to have the cross or the pace to doa  job as an outright winger. Anyway we are in the prem so all the players who got us there are pure class!!![/quote]''failed to sure it up''!!! He was injured for most of the season or did you forget that part?Agreed with him preferring to come central and interlock  with other midfielders but, as a left footed player who''s main position is on the left hand side of a diamond, what do you expect the majority of people to call him?

If he can stay fit, I really think surman will become the new ''Russell martin'' story of this season.

Don''t understand the criticism, when he''s played he''s shown the class he has. Yes he could be more aggressive, he could throw himself into more tackles and he could take on players more (though with his lack of pace he uses his attributes cleverly) - but lambert played him for what he contributed to the team, build up play, passing, crossing, set pieces and goals.

We haven''t seen the best of him yet but lambert will get It out of him.

For those of you slagging off Surman in this thread, shame on you. As Canary on the Trent has pointed out, he was definitely a major influence on our good run in at the end of the season. He might have taken his time to come true due to injury, but he was definitely worth every penny we paid for him!

[quote user="Canaryonthe Trent"]Only need to look at our record once Surman returned from injury against Reading.

Played 16

Won 10

Drawn 5

Lost 1

For 36

Against 20

Points 35[/quote]You say it like Surman is the reason we went on that run. He''s got quality but out of our midfield he would be the first I would replace as I believe he offers less to the all round play of the team than Hoolahan, Crofts, and Fox.I''m not saying he''s a bad player I just don''t think he''s as integral to our team as the other three.

It can certainly be argued that he was the catalyst for the run. I thought he added some real quality to the side and balance.

With / Without Surman

Played

22 / 24

Won

13 / 10

Drawn

7 / 8

Lost

2 / 6

For

47 / 36

Against

26 / 32

Pts

46 / 38

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

I can see why Surman scores goals, he keeps the ball close to him in the penalty box, it doesn''t squirm away from him.

[/quote]

Exactly. He''s very comfortable on the ball. Good touch and close control. Our team is full of players who are happy to take the ball.

As I said, I too think he is quality. I''m just saying that if I was picking the team (which thankfully I don''t or we''d have never got promotion haha) that is the only position that isn''t nailed on in my opinion. Fox is our decision maker, Crofts is our ball winner, and Wes is our Irish Messi. For me, Surman is just there at the moment.

Please can I say as the starter of this thread I never meant this to be an anti-surman thread and I am certainly not anti-Surman. In my opinion he has played so well this season and when he has been on the pitch he has been fantastic. Since him coming back I feel the left is a lot more sure and he is always willing to get back. However I dont believe someone who has played the equivalent of 16 games (minutes he didnt play due to being a sub/subbed) in a season is worthy on team of the season. Should play at least 2/3rds.

Surman is a class act and the fact that as soon as he was fit available Lambert always put him in the side shows how highly Lambert rates him. I think he is one who will be able to make the step up - I am amazed he didn''t get more game time with Wolves.