Sign in to follow this  
7rew

English speaking team

This is a thought that was prompted by the race row and noticing how we have a team that is majority English, and indeed, majority white. This is I think a coincidence, although one caused by what I think is the real factor.

What we do have is a team that is entirely, 100%, native speakers of English.

I reckon that this is actually a deliberate policy. Players that speak the same language are more likely to bond with each other which should create a more together feel in the squad and better team spirit and so are more likely to play for each other - as evidenced in our performances.

So what do other people think? Deliberate policy to aid team building or coincidence?

Good communication throughout the team is vital but I don''t think it''s a deliberate ploy by the club. If the player is god enough they will be looked at. However Lambert is hard to understand to Englishmen!

Its very important. Having a look at team like Arsenal, who''s defensively liabilities are well known, one must wonder how a Polish goalie, two french left backs a swiss centre back and a young french centre back communicate. We know they can barely speak English, so how can the goalkeeper and furthermore the midfield communicate with them. I think it is clear in their defensive mishaps that something is being lost in translation.

I don''t think it is neccesarily done on purpose but does have a positive effect on the team having a common identity such as a language. I think the reason is more likely due to the fact most of our scouts will be based in the UK for $$ reasons. I''m sure that if one or our scouts finds a spanish wonderkid they will be doing all they can to sign him and then maybe use Lappin to translate...........

Nonsense. These are people.  People pick up language quickly.  How much does a defender need to understand when his mate is screaming at him and pointing?People seriously over-estimate language barriers.

[quote user="Fellas"]Its very important. Having a look at team like Arsenal, who''s defensively liabilities are well known, one must wonder how a Polish goalie, two french left backs a swiss centre back and a young french centre back communicate. We know they can barely speak English, so how can the goalkeeper and furthermore the midfield communicate with them. I think it is clear in their defensive mishaps that something is being lost in translation.[/quote]

So the back 4 at Arsenal all speak french?

[quote user="kellybrook"]Nonsense. These are people.  People pick up language quickly.  How much does a defender need to understand when his mate is screaming at him and pointing?

People seriously over-estimate language barriers.
[/quote]

Best laugh of the day. ''These are people''? Well, that''s good because if we fielded a team of farmyard animals we might have a bit of a problem. And ''people pick up language quickly''? Not everyone does you know, there''s a huge industry in translation services in this country needed for immigrants that can''t be bothered or have a mental block when it comes to learning English.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"] So the back 4 at Arsenal all speak french?[/quote]More often than not, yes. But what about at corners? Bring the ball up from the back through the midfield? What if Kieran Gibbs and Eboue are thrown in? [quote user="kellybrook"]Nonsense. These are people.  People pick up

language quickly.  How much does a defender need to understand when his

mate is screaming at him and pointing?People seriously over-estimate language barriers.[/quote]Credit to Wenger because he can speak 7 million languages but what about somebody like Capello? Capello is by no means a blunt instrument but after several years his grasp of English is still very poor. Do you honestly think he can explain to the players how to play complex build up play and movement i.e. like Barcelona? Perhaps I need to re-iterate. The environment that anybody works in is important to production. If somebody feels included and comfortable they are more likely to perform better. The best teams and managers create a great community on and off the pitch. It''s no secret that those Norwich boys all come from similar backgrounds (lower league players come good (and deservedly!!!) and you can see it in the team camaraderie. I think building what we see at clubs like Man U, Lyons and Barca are a great role model for any club, and certainly a very achievable one.

[quote user="NauruDude"]Okay there has been a racist banned recently for LIFE from Carrow Road and THIS THREAD POPS UP!!!!

Is the OP that Luke dude or what???[/quote]Where is the racism here? It is merely commenting on how the current squad all speak English as a first language, which will help communication etc., which is a prefectly valid point tbh...

He says 1) we have 100% English speaking squad and thus implying that he wants not to sign someone from f.x. Tunisia because he doesn''t speak English. 2) Our squad is almost 100% white he also says. Matters NOTHING. If anything it is worse to have a 100% white squad than a 100% black one (I''m white)

You can have as multinational and multilingual squad as you want and still be succesfull.

[quote user="NauruDude"]He says 1) we have 100% English speaking squad and thus implying that he wants not to sign someone from f.x. Tunisia because he doesn''t speak English. 2) Our squad is almost 100% white he also says. Matters NOTHING. If anything it is worse to have a 100% white squad than a 100% black one (I''m white)

You can have as multinational and multilingual squad as you want and still be succesfull.[/quote]OK, I take your point about number two.But surely you can see that it is a benefit that every player speaks the same language?And I have absolutely no idea what you get at when you say it is worse to have a 100% white teams than a 100% black one.

I state in my comment ''if anything'' meaning that they MIGHT be better. But of course a mixture of both is best. Black, white, asian, indian, australian BRING IT ON.

[quote user="NauruDude"]I state in my comment ''if anything'' meaning that they MIGHT be better. But of course a mixture of both is best. Black, white, asian, indian, australian BRING IT ON.[/quote]There is no correct racial ethnicity for a squad. A mixture is not the best and neither is an entirely Black/White/Asian team. There are merely good players and bad players regardless of race. If that means your entire team is English and White, fair play. If it means your entire team comes from Gambia and is Black then fair play. If it means your team is a melting pot of races and nationalitites than fair play. As long as they suit the team and play well race is irrelevant.

[quote user="NauruDude"]I state in my comment ''if anything'' meaning that they MIGHT be better. But of course a mixture of both is best. Black, white, asian, indian, australian BRING IT ON.[/quote]

Why is it best? I could pick a team of entirely white players, entirely black players or entirely latino players (not so sure about the asian and indians though) who would beat any other national team. Most teams are based on getting the best players (of whatever creed or colour) for the money available not to be politically correct. Last time I looked there was not a quota system in football or any other sport for that matter, the fact that there are so many players of ethnic minorities who are there because of their skills not because of ''tokenism'' should tell you something about true equality.

I have it on good authority that we are ''unlikely'' to be signing anyone who doesn''t speak English, although the implication of this was more that we were looking to UK-based players than any particular need to keep dem furriners out... don''t forget Pacheco speaks very good English it seems...

Imagine a team with 90% non English speakers winning the league or going the whole season unbeaten. Would never happen.

I don''t know if it''s the language thing but I seem to remember Lambert saying last year that he only really wanted to sign British players because they understand the way British teams play football better. Although he went on to say that he''d consider Scandinavian players too because they play in a similar style to British players.

Personally I think that national traits are absolute b*ll*cks but there might be something in the different ways different countries teach/learn football. We tend to play it on muddy pitches on rainy days so skill is hard but slide tackling is easy, Brazil more likely to play it on hard ground that is conducive to skill etc.

Of course those are generalisations too, there''s even more rain in Ireland and it produced Wessi! I think the English speaking thing is more down to £££, in the lower leagues there are very few players who aren''t British/Irish/lived in Britain for a long time as there isn''t the money for international scouting.

Lambert has said he wants players with experience of the English leagues several times, which would lead to us signing players who speak English. Whether this is a sensible transfer policy we will have to wait and see, there is much more value in Europe than England and it is possible for people to learn English and communicate effectively. I wouldn''t say being an English speak is as important as many are saying, Tevez and David Silva don''t talk a word of English, yet seem to able to cope.

Lambert is buying players that he has seen close up a number of times, competed against, who are considered to be the among best of their current level, and who will work hard and play without fear.  They could speak Swahili and meet this crieteria.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Lambert is buying players that he has seen close up a number of times, competed against, who are considered to be the among best of their current level, and who will work hard and play without fear.  They could speak Swahili and meet this crieteria.
[/quote]

That actually sounds a lot like Roy Keane''s preferred transfer policy of only buying players he had played with or had played well against him. Although Roy Keane wouldn''t have a clue what to do with them once he had bought them "I know! Play Carlos Edwards as a right back! I''m a genius"

Wait... I just compared Paul Lambert to Roy Keane... I''m very, very sorry - it won''t happen again.

[quote user="NauruDude"]He says 1) we have 100% English speaking squad and thus implying that he wants not to sign someone from f.x. Tunisia because he doesn''t speak English. 2) Our squad is almost 100% white he also says. Matters NOTHING. If anything it is worse to have a 100% white squad than a 100% black one (I''m white) You can have as multinational and multilingual squad as you want and still be succesfull.[/quote]

How did you work that one out? Slighty ironic that you made out in a previous post that this thread had echoes of racism within it, yet you then claim "it is worse to have a 100% white squad than a 100% black one", so why is it worse?

[quote user="Jez"]I don''t know if it''s the language thing but I seem to remember Lambert saying last year that he only really wanted to sign British players because they understand the way British teams play football better. Although he went on to say that he''d consider Scandinavian players too because they play in a similar style to British players.

Personally I think that national traits are absolute b*ll*cks but there might be something in the different ways different countries teach/learn football. We tend to play it on muddy pitches on rainy days so skill is hard but slide tackling is easy, Brazil more likely to play it on hard ground that is conducive to skill etc.

Of course those are generalisations too, there''s even more rain in Ireland and it produced Wessi! I think the English speaking thing is more down to £££, in the lower leagues there are very few players who aren''t British/Irish/lived in Britain for a long time as there isn''t the money for international scouting.[/quote]I would''nt say that there are no national traits when it comes to footballers. I lived in Sweden for a while and the attitude there is that it is the team that matters it is not about individuals. Not having this mentality is a big no no and will not make you popular. This attitude applies not just to football but in all aspects of normal working life in general, Managers mix with the workers there is no divide or class thing going on. In the Scandinavian countries there is great emphasis put on hard work and discipline in football. These are qualities that  make them popular often with British managers (Worthington was a self confessed fan of Nordic players. I would say that  in countries such as Spain there is a much greater emphasis put on skill and technical ability.