Sign in to follow this  
willo2

Morison update...

Started to follow Alex Aldridge, local Millwall press reporter on Twitter. Has just tweeted that he is expecting news on Morison today. I asked whether he expected transfer to happen, he replied''Yeah will happen soon''Looks like things are a movin''...

he''ll be grant holts understudy. May not get a lot of games but worth a punt. Bit expensive though but most home grown talent is nowadays.

I agree, quality back up for Holt, would not be surprised to see CMS also. People say it''s lots of money but we need cover for injuries suspensions, loss of form and there is no loan market in the Prem. We need 5 forwards, 2 target men. All of them seem to reflect the type of forward Lambert likes, hungry, high work ethic.HoltCMSMorisonJacksonVaughanSell Martin, Johnson and Cody.This will do for me.....Now 5 centre half''s...

Seems Millwall want close to £3m as they have to pay Stevenage 25% of the fee. At £3M, that''s £750K leaving them £2.25M which itself is not a ridiculous sum for a player with his record. Questions is, should we be paying for the Stevenage on-cost? I guess we''ll have to pay aproportion of it if we want to land him.. 

[quote user="crafty canary"]Seems Millwall want close to £3m as they have to pay Stevenage 25% of the fee. At £3M, that''s £750K leaving them £2.25M which itself is not a ridiculous sum for a player with his record. Questions is, should we be paying for the Stevenage on-cost? I guess we''ll have to pay aproportion of it if we want to land him.. 
[/quote]

Surely not the buying club''s problem. If Millwall agreed a sell-on clause, that''s their problem and doesn''t affect the market value of the player.  He is only worth what clubs are prepared to pay and that valuation will be based purley on the player, not on the need to cover any sell-on amount.     

Morison isn''t backup for Holt, not unless Lambert is going to change his game an awful lot. He''s not a targetman, he''s an out and out striker, probably closer to Jackson than Holt in style if not in build. Look at his stats, only 5 assists in 40 games.

Why is everyone so obsessed with us selling Chris Martin, a quality player who in my view has the technique to play at prem level and who has been a key part of our side for most of the last 2 seasons. Also one of our few home grown players and one who can play in midfield as well as up front. Really annoys me people keep lumping him in with Wilbraham, Cody and Johnson. Frankly if CMS and Morrison are worth £3 million then Martin must be worth not far less!

Latest from twitter...

RichCawleySLP Richard Cawley

#Millwall ready to accept Norwich bid for Steve Morison, more to follow

Technique - yes, attitude, application - no. None of us knows what goes on behind the scenes but many stories have come out indicating big issues with his commitment and his off field activities getting in the way of his career.Played well in League 1, but, last season, for me, pale imitation of that player and no pace. Not a midfield player, no engine, never seem him play there other than for 10 minutes or so. Can''t see what home grown has to do with it, not good enough for this level, in my opinion.1 million at best for me.

Can''t imagine we''d sign Morison and CMS so looks like that Daily Mail story was a load of crap... there''s a surprise.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Why is everyone so obsessed with us selling Chris Martin, a quality player who in my view has the technique to play at prem level and who has been a key part of our side for most of the last 2 seasons. Also one of our few home grown players and one who can play in midfield as well as up front. Really annoys me people keep lumping him in with Wilbraham, Cody and Johnson. Frankly if CMS and Morrison are worth £3 million then Martin must be worth not far less![/quote]

Completely agree, no way will he be sold. I maybe would loan him to a championship team purely to help him develop and mature but spot on. Definitely one of the most technically gifted players we have. I think people don''t watch him probably some of his build up play is brilliant, look at Ipswich at home, I remember him playnig a big part in two goals.

It surprised me how many people dislike him for no apparent reason, other then being "lazy", maybe it''s just people jumping on the bandwagon because everyone else is saying it.

Milwall have agreed a fee, the player is now sorting out personal terms.

Deal will be done late today or tomorrow (unless Morison has anything ridiculous in his demands which after initial talks he doesn''t)

Source is someone within the club. Feel free to scream "binner" or some such.

according to the sun we''ve got morrison now. Chris martin will be a good stirker in a couple of years at premier league standard, however if this morrison deal goes through, Holt, Morrison, Vaughan and Jackson will be ahead of him, dont forget we still have ollie johnson and wilbraham too. Send him out on loan to a championship team for a season.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]Why is everyone so obsessed with us selling Chris Martin, a quality player who in my view has the technique to play at prem level and who has been a key part of our side for most of the last 2 seasons. Also one of our few home grown players and one who can play in midfield as well as up front. Really annoys me people keep lumping him in with Wilbraham, Cody and Johnson. Frankly if CMS and Morrison are worth £3 million then Martin must be worth not far less![/quote]

Chris Martin is a good player but he didn''t really have any more than average season in the Championship.

He found goals hard to come by and his all round play was a mixed bag.

Whether he can play in a midfield role is yet to be decided, I would say. He''s only ever played a few minutes (in the grand scheme of things) in midfield.

A good footballer but still a lot to prove.

[quote user="YellowLittle1"][quote user="Jim Smith"]Why is everyone so obsessed with us selling Chris Martin, a quality player who in my view has the technique to play at prem level and who has been a key part of our side for most of the last 2 seasons. Also one of our few home grown players and one who can play in midfield as well as up front. Really annoys me people keep lumping him in with Wilbraham, Cody and Johnson. Frankly if CMS and Morrison are worth £3 million then Martin must be worth not far less![/quote]

Completely agree, no way will he be sold. I maybe would loan him to a championship team purely to help him develop and mature but spot on. Definitely one of the most technically gifted players we have. I think people don''t watch him probably some of his build up play is brilliant, look at Ipswich at home, I remember him playnig a big part in two goals.

It surprised me how many people dislike him for no apparent reason, other then being "lazy", maybe it''s just people jumping on the bandwagon because everyone else is saying it.[/quote]I like Chris Martin as a footballer - think he has a lot to offer, especially in terms of flexibility - being able to play in the hole as well as an out and out front man. Those people who slate him constantly are probably the same people who always need to slag off a player regardless of how successful the team is. Can think of a few reasons why these people dislike Chris Martin - a) he doesn''t run around like a headless chicken, b) he has had a few minor run-ins with the law (exacerbated because of his status), and c) and is a young local lad who is already far more successful than they will ever be?He didn''t get too much of a shout last season due to whatever reasons, but still scored some quality goals, and was involved in a lot of important build-up play (QPR at home anyone?). I certainly wouldn''t prefer players like Morison over him anyway.

Martin will get his chance I think (and rightly so), which means our forward line could be (providing this goes through):

Holt, Jackson, Martin, Vaughn and Morison.

Don''t know about anyone else, but that looks pretty strong to me.  Martin might be down the pecking order, but we need him for injuries/suspensions.  Wilbraham and Johnson could possibly go, either out on loan or transfer, and I personally think we''ll keep hold of Cody and loan him out to a Championship club to test him there should the worst happen come May 2012.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]

Martin will get his chance I think (and rightly so), which means our forward line could be (providing this goes through):

Holt, Jackson, Martin, Vaughn and Morison.

Don''t know about anyone else, but that looks pretty strong to me.  Martin might be down the pecking order, but we need him for injuries/suspensions.  Wilbraham and Johnson could possibly go, either out on loan or transfer, and I personally think we''ll keep hold of Cody and loan him out to a Championship club to test him there should the worst happen come May 2012.

[/quote]

Spot on!!!!!

Yellow Little, we are all entitled to our opinion and I''m not jumping on any bandwagon, merely basing my opinion on what I see week in week out.You quote one game out of 46 last season, I know he was injured for part, but he played 30 odd games and all I can recall is a half decent performance in the game you mentioned. I''m not saying he lacks potential, but that potential has to be realised and now our club has progressed so quick to its current state, then players need to move as quick or move on.Sorry I don''t agree but I''m also not jumping on any bandwagon.....

It''s a decent forward line, probably the equal of most in the bottom half of the Premiership, especially in terms of depth. But my only disappointment is that Holt and Jackson are still probably the best 2 striker we have after spending what sounds to be around 4 million.

As long as we don''t need the money that could be generated from sales that we should keeper Martin and Cody. Try and retrain Martin as a midfielder for the first half of the season then send out on loan. Offer Cody a new contract, if he accepts send him to the Championship on loan, if he rejects it sell him off.

How long does Cody have left on his contract? Is it a year? If so and he''s not being offered an extension, or not wanting one, then we probably wouldn''t loan him. He''d would be worth less in January and be able to walk away in a year. If this is the case we''d probably sell now.

If this is true, and it''s looking like if is, there are 3 things that make me happy here.

a) I called it as Millwall always cave in because the fans expect to lose their best players so the board go for the cash.

b) He''ll do well with us as both clinical and up for the cause.

c) I live deep in Millwall "bandit country" so will very much enjoy giving it to my bushwacker pals. lol!

Forgot to mention that if we could get Pacheco on loan to join Hoolahan in the hole (ooh-er), then our front line begins to look pretty formidable for a lower-half Prem team....

I quite like the look of that strike force, also don''t forget if we are able to get Pecheco back on loan he can play upfront as well as behind the front two

here''s a thought. Not sure if its been said on here...

we get Morison, and we sell Cody to Stevenage to soften the blow for the 25% sell on they will get for Morison.

pure guesswork but feasible as Stevenage have been playing a defensive midfielder in front at times this season.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Forgot to mention that if we could get Pacheco on loan to join Hoolahan in the hole (ooh-er), then our front line begins to look pretty formidable for a lower-half Prem team....[/quote]

beat me to it

Respect your opinion IS but why slate people because they don''t agree? You like him, fair enough......''c) and is a young local lad who is already far more successful than they will ever be?'' Come on, lets just recognise that people see different things in games and players....I don''t rate Martin at this level and, in my opinion, at best, he will be 5th striker and can''t see him accepting another loan.

Vaughan is a far superior player in my opinion to jackson etc and holt is umproven at this level, just like he was in the championship though so ill reserve judgment, Vaughan is the youngest ever scorer in the premier league.

I didn''t directly accuse you, I such don''t understand if people are watching the same player.

And I named one performance because I''m not going to evaluate every single performance he made this season, it was an example.

Forest Away, Derby Away, Burnley came of the bench and nearly won it for us, QPR. There are probably a few more I havent seen this season.

But it''s like Jackson, people giving him stick as soon as he scored that hat trick he had the confidence to bang all the goals in, when people slate players and make someone a scapegoat unjustly I think it affects there performance massively.