Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Building out the squad from the front?

This would appear to be Lambert''s squad building strategy. Interesting approach if so - building the team around the striker options available rather than midfield/defence. A German inspired approach?

Of course, it could all just be coincidence.

What do you reckon?

OTBC

I think its more conicidence to be honest, I had no doubt in my mind that we are talking to defenive players/other clubs. Its simply that the Vaughan and Morrison deals appear to have been the most succesful, while the other players  we have been linked with are players known to be looking for a club or attracting premire league interest; such with CMS and Snodgrass.

Strikers always cost more and make more headlines. Also it''s early June, too soon to say what our plans are. No one does business at this time of year!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]This would appear to be Lambert''s squad building strategy. Interesting approach if so - building the team around the striker options available rather than midfield/defence. A German inspired approach? Of course, it could all just be coincidence. What do you reckon? OTBC

[/quote]Lambert has said he is after six or seven players. If the first two signed were a right back and a right midfielder would you then assume he was "building a team from the right"? More to the point, would you even be asking if this was a "German inspired approach"?

So, to answer your question, a coincidence.

Ok, then someone tell me any defensive midfielder, central defender, full back or goalkeeper that we have been seriously been linked with?

Vaughan, CMS, Morison - strikers

Snodgrass, Bennett - wingers/attacking midfielders.

OTBC

[quote user="Walphy"]

Ok, then someone tell me any defensive midfielder, central defender, full back or goalkeeper that we have been seriously been linked with?

OTBC

[/quote]

To whom are you asking the the question Walphy,us posters or your bestest mate Bly who is sitting beside you sharing the same computer?

Personally I couldn''t give a rats @rse if PL is building from the front, the back, the left or the right, I''m just happy it''s him that''s building the team.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Walphy"]

OTBC

[/quote]

To whom are you asking the the question Walphy,us posters or your bestest mate Bly who is sitting beside you sharing the same computer?

[/quote]

Well I did wonder if maybe you had any thoughts in your head on the matter............you know, an analytical approach vis-a-vis the tabloid approach which is now dominating this forum...........?

Forget Bly for a moment  and see if you can indulge Walphy on this ''un...............[;)]

And as Bly would say, one love.

COYY!!

I think its simply that strikers are always the hottest property and that if you don''t get in there quick you could miss the boat.

There aren''t many I don''t think who would be in our price range and that also meet Lambert''s criteria.

We''ve bid on a couple, CMS has been the subject of a bid if you believe Peterborough and Graham has also had a bid or two placed on him.

I just feel with the strikers you need to make the decision and strike early, as they say... You snooze, you lose!

I don''t think we will be slow in signing defensive minded players, I just think we have been ultra fast thus far compared to other clubs in going about our business.

I''m sure we''ve got plenty of irons in the fire with regard to all positions Lambert wants to strengthen, just a coincidence that these deals have progressed the quickest.  Maybe other players are bosmans and so we wont be signing them until the end of this month?

I would not be surprised if all (or most of) our deals are done by the start of July so Lambert has all his players ready for the start of pre-season.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]This would appear to be Lambert''s squad building strategy. Interesting approach if so - building the team around the striker options available rather than midfield/defence. A German inspired approach? Of course, it could all just be coincidence. What do you reckon? OTBC[/quote]

Never mind that.  It seems that while it''s all quiet on the western front we should be looking over our shoulders at the opportunities in the east.  India, Pakistan, China - billions of people with untapped potential - and think of the shirt sales if it worked out.  Chong, Chang, Chung, Singh... ker-ching!

[quote user="Downloads"]

I think its simply that strikers are always the hottest property and that if you don''t get in there quick you could miss the boat.

There aren''t many I don''t think who would be in our price range and that also meet Lambert''s criteria.

We''ve bid on a couple, CMS has been the subject of a bid if you believe Peterborough and Graham has also had a bid or two placed on him.

I just feel with the strikers you need to make the decision and strike early, as they say... You snooze, you lose!

I don''t think we will be slow in signing defensive minded players, I just think we have been ultra fast thus far compared to other clubs in going about our business.

[/quote]

Ahh look I quote myself.

Overnight we are close to signing Johnson - Said we wouldn''t be slow! Definitely a more defensive minded player.

[quote user="Downloads"][quote user="Downloads"]

[/quote]

Ahh look I quote myself.

Overnight we are close to signing Johnson - Said we wouldn''t be slow! Definitely a more defensive minded player.

[/quote]

Right. 2 strikers in. Midfield next. Snodgrass & Bennett well under way. Johnson next...!

[:)]

COYY!!

[quote user="Bore Bore Bor"]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]This would appear to be Lambert''s squad building strategy. Interesting approach if so - building the team around the striker options available rather than midfield/defence. A German inspired approach? Of course, it could all just be coincidence. What do you reckon? OTBC[/quote]

Never mind that.  It seems that while it''s all quiet on the western front we should be looking over our shoulders at the opportunities in the east.  India, Pakistan, China - billions of people with untapped potential - and think of the shirt sales if it worked out.  Chong, Chang, Chung, Singh... ker-ching!

[/quote]

There''s a more appropriate thread you could have added this to, bor.

OTBC