Sign in to follow this  
When Saturday Comes

Morison Interview in The Sun

Seems a decent chap to me. Glad to have him on the squad. Might even be tempted to get his name on the back of my Prem Shirt, whenever that comes out.

A Millwall fan friend of mine is gutted about losing him. He thinks he''s able to raise his game for the opposition he plays against and believes he''s got what it takes to make it in the Prem.

A very honest inverview. We have fans who like a moan but Millwall fans really aren''t shy in letting their players know when they''re not happy, can''t be the best place to play your football when you know you''re just a game or two away from abuse from the knuckle draggers.

[quote user="ron obvious"]
The comment at the bottom makes Morison''s point perfectly.

[/quote]

Presumably Ray decided that there were too many long words in the article and that trying to read them might jolt his preconceptions. Or he''s a prick.....

Pleased to have him, but he needs a thicker skin really - what he says is absolutely right but the Millwall fans will of course forget all about the many goals he has scored for them! At least we won''t be playing them again :-)

Poor old Ray must have had some bad experiences in the past, he just can''t seem to forgive

"another lying greedy Football star taken from the lower league and made into a welsh international"

How many has he met and come across?

I don''t think the interview paints him in his best light. I think it shows a lack of loyalty towards Milwall. I thought we would be getting a player who wanted to play for Norwich, not just a player who wanted to play in the premier league for whoever.He will probably look back at it in a few months time and wished he''d kept his mouth shut.

Millwall fans love him, from one of their forums:''He really ain''t that good. He''s good, but premier league standard? Don''t

make me laugh. We''ll see Morison play at the Den again, and it will be

one of the worst days of his * life when he returns. I personally can''t

wait to tell him what I think !''''utter bollox just trying to make himself look good well stevo we ain''t

buying it your a cunt,one day you''ll be back can''t fucking wait.

and by the way you''ll be back in the championship next season Narwich have got no fucking chance of staying up''''Not once in that interview did he mention the huge support he got from

the fans, even when he was shite and missing open goals, penalties, etc.

Yes he got a little bit of stick, all players do at some time, so

fucking what, pay me £7k a week and you can cunt me off as much as you

like.''''What a whinging cry-baby Morison really is,broken foot... bruised

heel....new-born baby,you''re paid 7k a week to kick a football you

complete c*nt,don''t try and act like some sort of martyr who sacrificed

himself to get his dream move.

I''ll enjoy watching you on Match of the Day as well you no mark,when you''re played out of the game every week by world-class defenders.''''I didnt see a line that said "thankyou millwall for making what i am

today if it wasnt for you i woudnt have had a second crack at league

football and become an international and premier league player" Hope he

breaks his legs first game and misses the whole season and then they get

relegated selfish cunt''
''In all the 40 odd years i''ve been going, i can''t remember despising one

of our players as much as him. Everyone keeps reminding me that he

scored forty goals for us but no-one mentions all the sitters he missed.

Whinging to that fucking rag sums him up. He never once to my knowledge

said he wanted to play in the prem with Millwall and i''ll never see

another player wearing our shirt who sulked so much. All this bollocks

about we''d do the same thing in his shoes may or may not be true, but

the real truth is he used us and i can''t wait for the prick to come back

and play against us because one way or another he surely will.''''now fuck off Steve you no mark judas cunt''What a bunch of thugs! I hope Morison never goes back to play at the Den cos it will be ''the worst day of his * life'', haha [:D]

[quote user="NWC"]I don''t think the interview paints him in his best light. I think it shows a lack of loyalty towards Milwall. I thought we would be getting a player who wanted to play for Norwich, not just a player who wanted to play in the premier league for whoever.
He will probably look back at it in a few months time and wished he''d kept his mouth shut.
[/quote]

Reality check needed. Footballers are only human. The most important part of that interview was the bit where he said that he loved playing football, that means a lot to me. I''m sure that there are those of us that work in a job that we do not love doing, and susrpisingly I would guess that there are a few footballers who don''t actually enjoy their jobs but get on with it because they are blessed with natural talent.

[quote user="NWC"]I don''t think the interview paints him in his best light. I think it shows a lack of loyalty towards Milwall. I thought we would be getting a player who wanted to play for Norwich, not just a player who wanted to play in the premier league for whoever.He will probably look back at it in a few months time and wished he''d kept his mouth shut.[/quote]I agree he is being too honest for his own good. But it does show just what a ludicrous attitude we have towards football players. We not only expect them to play like gods, but have a god-like attitude towards the club they''re playing for. They''re human.Be content that they give their all for us while they''re here, that they appreciate the club & its fans. They may develop a great affection for a club (like Hux), but they must surely always strive to play at the highest level - or they wouldn''t be worth having.Ultimately they''re just the same as me & you. But better at football.

I don''t see any problem with that interview at all. He''s honest and wants to play at the top level. He really has no  reason to feel any affiliation to a club until he has moved there unless he was born there or supported them as a youngster. He will grow to love Norwich purely because we are the friendliest club in the country. The comments by Millwall fans show them as expected as usual in a very poor light, as sad embittered people with a tendency to hold a grudge easily. Zak suffered abuse when he moved here in just the same way and has thrived so I''m sure Steve will get over it and not look back.  

[quote user="NWC"]I don''t think the interview paints him in his best light. I think it shows a lack of loyalty towards Milwall. I thought we would be getting a player who wanted to play for Norwich, not just a player who wanted to play in the premier league for whoever.He will probably look back at it in a few months time and wished he''d kept his mouth shut.[/quote]Yes, this sort of stuff is a bit worrying.Did he really need to have such a whinge at Millwall ? I do hope you''re wrong in that Morison just wants to play for anybody in the Premier League. We don''t need players who think they''re '' Billy Big B***ocks '' as that usually unsettles the dressing room.At least we''ve a strong manager who won''t stand any nonsense......

[quote user="Good Evening Neil"]the bit i don''t like, "if Norwich were a Championship club, we wouldn''t be having this conversation"[/quote]Yes , sounds like its not so much Norwich he wants to join as any Premiership side , out the door quicker than Ashton if we come back down and he''s had an ok season .

It''s funny that they''re all now saying he''s sh*t! If he''s that bad why are they all so angry about it!

He talks a lot of sense. It''s difficult as a fan to accept it, but to professional footballers it is a job.

Assou Ekotto openly says as much, it''s not what he loves, it''s a way of making a very good living.

I''m sure a lot of us have moved on from a company when we''ve had a better, more interesting, more highly paid job offer from elsewhere.

Should we be ashamed at our lack of loyalty, should we agree to work for the worse company just because that''s where we currently are? Of course not.

A footballer''s career is, at most, about 17 years, less for players like Morison who''ve spent time in non-league football. It''s only natural that they want to play at the highest level for as long as they want.

If anything we should be glad he made the comment about not being in this situation if Norwich were a Championship side, it means he was willing to stay at the club, despite the fact we''d have still paid higher wages, unless he got the chance to improve himself.

We have to realise that, although we love the club, often the players, at least initially, won''t. And why should they? I''ve worked for companies in the past that I''ve not been in love with.

but the companies you have worked for, don''t have 20000 people paying a lot of money for season tickets to watch you do your job, you don''t have another 5000 or so paying 30 odd quid each game, you also don''t have these 25000 chanting your name, buying shirts with your name on etc. Do you have people crowding around your work place, cheering you if you do something right? You say we need to realise to them its a job, maybe some players need to realise, to us its a lot more.

Are the fans not one of the reasons he''d move on though. The idea of playing in front of 10,000 people wanting to do well must be intoxicating. Coming to a club like us with 25,000+ every week must be even better. The thought of ending up playing regularly in front of 50,000 would be even better. Why would we want a man to not experience that if he could?

There is nothing wrong with wanting to play for any Prem club, if you haven''t experienced it before as a footballer. It would be exactly the same for all of us, if we were offered a promotion. Not many players are one-team men all their lives, and when they are, it tends to be because they start with a top club as youngsters and manage to hold their place. You can''t expect Morison to have any sort of affinity with Norwich yet! However, he clearly liked what he was offered by Lambert.

Don''t think there was much wrong with what he said, rather it''s a case of should he have said it publically?. Yes it''s a job, and we all realise that, but it doesn''t stop supporters from hoping that the players feel an affinity and endearment for the club too a la Huckerby, a true NCFC legend. I have to say that I think Morison was unwise to say (roughly) ''If Norwich were still a Championship club, we wouldn''t be having this conversation''. Correct or not, that isn''t really the best thing to say when you''ve just joined a new club....

Doesn''t sound like we''ll see him kiss the badge when he scores...As for the point on jobs, I agree to a point but when you''re earning thousands of pounds per week you don''t need to do much to make yourself financially secure for life.  For mere mortals like us, the choice between a £30k and £40k job has a much more material effect on quality of life than choosing between, say, £8k or £12k a week.

I think he is speaking a lot of sense, and you have to see where he is coming from. He is playing Championship football, for a club he has no links to in terms of roots or being a supporter, and he has the chance to play in the Premier League. Of course he will choose to take it.One interesting thing however is that this was exactly the same situation players like Ashton and Green have found themselves in, and a lot of fans on this board criticised them heavily for it.

I read the ""If Norwich were a Championship club, we wouldn''t be having this conversation" bit as Morison meaning that if instead of Norwich a Championship side had submitted the £2.8m bid, then he would have stayed at Millwall, thus backing up what he said earlier about wanting to move specifically to the Premiership as opposed to wanting to escape from Millwall. I can see the different intervetations others have suggested though.

I don''t think it hurts to be reminded that as supporters we have a much greater vested interest in our Clubs than the average talented footballer. Sure, we have been blessed with some amazing talent at the Club who have fallen in love the Club, the City and the Norfolk area, but those players are few and far between, most players nowadays will nomadically circum-navigate the British Isles playing for whomever will pay them the most for as long a period as possible, and I think that''s the trade off we have to accept for prising promising talent from other Clubs, and alternatively selling on the ones that don''t meet the required standard.

In short, I''d take a promising striker wanting to play football and muck in for the cause over a less talent who wants to play for us as he has a soft spot for the Club/City/area. Surely that ties in with Lambert''s "hungry" criteria for scouting players..?

Ideally, a hugely talented City boy would be even more appealing, but where would we find such a person in this off-season..? 

I wouldn''t worry too much folks I''m sure Holty will keep him on the straight and narrow in respect to playing for the love of the club, sure before you know it he will be spotted courting a Norfolk lass looking in the window of a local estate agent driving a yellow Lotus while humming "On the ball City".

I cant believe people are slating him because he only wants to play for us since we''ve been in the Premier!

I love NCFC because Ive grown up here and supported them since I was a kid. Why are we expecting him to feel the same about us when he has no link to other than we''ve just signed him?

He comes accross as passionate and as annoyed as I would have been in his shoes if Id been painted as the bad guy in the press.

Give him a break. What loyalty should people show to an employer who they have served brilliantly for 2 years? Yes Im sure he is financially secure but hes only been playing at a reasonable level for 2 years and Im sure those days of paper shredding or whatever he did are fresh in his memory.

People are so quick to judge without realistically and honestly assessing what they would do in the same situation.

Vaughan "I''ve played against them last season and they are a strong squad with a togetherness that I want to be a part of"Morison " I want to play in the premier league"