Sign in to follow this  
Snakepit Ric

Wickham

Just read that Liverpool have came in for him with a 8-10 mil bid. A big risk in my opinion or it could be a steal if he does turn out to be as good as the town fans have been saying.

Your thoughts !! ?

If I was a town fan I would be gutted seeing him go just leaving Scotland oh well otbc

If Pacheco is good enough Liverpool will keep him, theyve seen him develope over a period of time against premiership players day in day out. I agree he looked good in two of his appearences for us but lets put it in prospective - very poor opponents & do you really think we seen something the liverpool management team dont know about??

Wickham is certainly one of the best players in the country for his age, but the issue for me is that he is already fully developed physically, and physical progression is often a big thing for players around that age.£8-10m for him is way too much, so for that reason I hope that he stays with the Scum and then his value drops a little bit over the next season.

He has been found wanting when pitched against players of his own size rather than having callow youths to shove around. I don''t recall him being anything special against us at poorman road either. Drifted about on their left side fairly ineffectually. Still hype is hype and we must believe what we are told arther than what we see.The problem for the binners is what will happen to the money they receive when he finally goes. The couple of million they got for Walters was not earmarked for the playing side of things and if the huge reduction in their wage bill is anything to go by then it might be a bit tricky finding players to step up a league or move over, if the pay and prospects look about zilch.Still, they do have two statues and an exhibition at the Town Hall with some yellowing presss cuttings, so who are we to laugh ?

Good player but way over rated, look at his end product!

If he really was worth £8M - £10M then he''d of played alot more games for the S cum, wouldn''t be played out of position on the wing and would of been the top scorer in last seasons Championship!

On the other end of the spectrum theirs still a few Norwich fans who will try to pick holes in the performances of Grant Holt - 53 goals in two seasons, many assists, great energy, desire and leadership - Say no more!

Why would Liverpool want to waste 8 million on Wickham (who is very overated imo) when they allready have Pacheco who is a much better prospect?If they do sign Wickham that will leave them with Carroll, Suarez. Kuyt and Wickham so looks likely Pacheco would be going out on loan again or possibly sold. I''d certianly have him back again in the prem.

[quote user="Time For Heroes"]Why would Liverpool want to waste 8 million on Wickham (who is very overated imo) when they allready have Pacheco who is a much better prospect?
If they do sign Wickham that will leave them with Carroll, Suarez. Kuyt and Wickham so looks likely Pacheco would be going out on loan again or possibly sold. I''d certianly have him back again in the prem.
[/quote]

They also have Jonjo Shelvey who was last years Wickham! Big strong 18yr old with a few decent games behind him!

[quote user="Time For Heroes"]Why would Liverpool want to waste 8 million on Wickham (who is very overated imo) when they allready have Pacheco who is a much better prospect?
If they do sign Wickham that will leave them with Carroll, Suarez. Kuyt and Wickham so looks likely Pacheco would be going out on loan again or possibly sold. I''d certianly have him back again in the prem.
[/quote]

They don''t need the money for him and as he is under 21 they can keep him hanging around just in case of injuries, etc.

This is Groundhog day isn''t it? The Wickham-To-Liverpool-For-£10m story gets dragged out three times a year. I guess one day it may come true. But given the other values of players currently being sold that have actually scored some goals it seems highly unlikely. AND the notion that Liverpool might "invest" in a future player is equally unlikely. Premiership clubs want immediate results, not maybe players.   

[quote user="Chirping Canary"]Javier Hernandez - £6million. Connor Wickham - £8-10million. ''nuff said.[/quote]

Best buy of the century. Sometimes, every once in a while, someone will strike it lucky. Sir Alex has done that with the price of Hernandez. Adding that British players'' cost more, it really isn''t surprising that Wickham is being quoted as £8-10 mil.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[quote user="Chirping Canary"]Javier Hernandez - £6million. Connor Wickham - £8-10million. ''nuff said.[/quote]

Best buy of the century. Sometimes, every once in a while, someone will strike it lucky. Sir Alex has done that with the price of Hernandez. Adding that British players'' cost more, it really isn''t surprising that Wickham is being quoted as £8-10 mil.

[/quote]Best buy of the century? Off the top of my head... Robin Van Persie joined Arsenal for £3m, half the Hernandez fee, and has scored in 42% of matches he''s played despite being hit heavily by persistent injuries.Hernandez cost double and while he has scored in 6% more matches (48%) Van Persie''s is an average over his seven years at Arsenal, so it remains to be seen if the Little Pea can keep that up, and is that really worth an extra £3m.Maybe he will go on to have a more consistent goalscoring career than Van Persie, but as it stands RVP is a better shout for buy of the century so far, as he''s certainly been keeping it up for most of the century, and would have been the Prem''s top goalscorer by some way this season if he wasn''t injured.

My point was more along the lines of how pointless comparing Hernandez and Wickham is. But I take your point concerning RVP. Although I wonder if he was bought now (same situation as 04, age etc) would he have cost the same amount?

I think a Champ League final and Prem title shows how much the extra £3m is worth. [;)]

Yeah because that''s RVP''s fault ;)If anything it shows the ludicrous nature of the Wickham valuation even more- and also the fact that we''ve paid about the same for Steve Morison as Arsenal did for RVP. Having said that I do rate Morison... but I think Millwall have been greedy bastards there.

There''s a few games were it would have been useful if RVP had scored more goals [;)]

The difference is they can bring young players in and give them time, we don''t have that luxury. We need players who can slot into our system instantly and play how Lambert wants. And the way football economics have gone I highly doubt you will see a player of RVP''s stature costing so little in the future. If you do, it may rival Hernandez and RVP as buy of the century.