Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Premiership Survival - A Case For the Defense M'Lud

Much is being written currently at the early initiative being taken by Norwich City on attacking options. It is great to see although, as we all know, the proof will be in the pudding as to how those individuals will actually perform at the highest level. However, I found myself wondering what targets our management group have on the defensive side because, conversely, following this message boards relative euphoria following two successive promotions, there is understandably little being written about how our current defenders will cope with the Premiership attacking talent that weekly punishes weaker defenses in the blink of an eyelid.

Just for the record I looked at the suvival statistics of teams promoted from the Championship to the Premiership over the past ten seasons. I was surprised to see that teams survive their first season 57% of the time. However, if one looked at teams which were promoted from the Championship having conceded 53 or more goals during their promotion year, then the survival statistic dropped to 29%. Who do you think we need to bring in to offset that worrying statistic?

Last close season strikers took longer to bring in; this time PL has them early so perhaps the entire squad can be assembled pre-season with defenders possibly being easier to acquire.

Please stop saying ''defense'' - people take offense!

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Last close season strikers took longer to bring in; this time PL has them early so perhaps the entire squad can be assembled pre-season with defenders possibly being easier to acquire. Please stop saying ''defense'' - people take offense![/quote]

Fare ( [;)] enough Rudolph, although if we stopped focusing on offence I might be less defensive. 

Quality strikers are a rare commodity. You have to get in early. I am sure we have defenders lined up but there will not be the same level of competition.