Sign in to follow this  
Grow Up Mate

Elliot Bennett

[quote user="Excited Canary"][quote user="alysha"]

[quote user="Excited Canary"]Blackpool signed Matt Phillips from League 2 (just been relegated from L1) Wycombe and whenever I saw him on MOTD I was very impressed. Bennett is a pacy winger with awesome delivery - proved by the staggering amount of assists he got last season! Would love this to happen - sign him up!

Morison
Vuaghan
B. Johnson
Bennett
Snodgrass
RB
CB
GK

That makes 8 out of Lambert''s 7 so unless Lambert has changed his mind and gone for more players it might be between Bennett and Snodgrass. Saving £4M sounds good and will probably be able to spend more on the more important area (i.e CB).
[/quote]

I hope that Bennet is not at the expense of Snodgrass, but if we are to look at reports yesterday, it appeared as though a fee had been agreed with Brighton whilst we had submitted a second bid for Snodgrass, so it appears as though Lambert wants both and rightly so as they are very different players

[/quote]

Agreed, but does that mean Lamberts ''7'' players goes out the water? Because I am sure he will know we really need a RB cover, starting/competition CB and a starting/competition GK.
[/quote]

---

It wasn''t absolutely clear but it looked as if Lambert was talking about seven permanent signings, which is the number he made last summer. There might be a loan or two on top. It could be, for example, that he hopes to get a utility defender to cover across the back four once the transfer dust has settled a bit.

I would feel more confident if we signed a couple of decent centre backs.  We could save money in other areas, I would be happy with a Marcus Hahnemann type freebie as a very decent back up keeper.

Had a scan on the Brighton forum and there is a thread with like 20 pages and about 80% seem to have accepted he has left. They all rate him VERY highly so im thrilled to get to see him play if this is true.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

I would feel more confident if we signed a couple of decent centre backs.  We could save money in other areas, I would be happy with a Marcus Hahnemann type freebie as a very decent back up keeper.

[/quote]

Blimey mate check out todays date please because i have it as June 4th so still virtually a month before pre season training even starts.Surely nobody believes for one minute that defensive players will not be bought.Lambert has said he wants 7 players in and i for one have faith that they all will be here long before the season begins.

^ thats what i was thinking haha! i know lambert likes to get them in early but i was never expecting us to have 4 players potenitally signed/signed by now

I think that this move for Bennett is almost certainly likely to go through this coming week along with the completion of the Morsion deal and maybe one other.  I am looking forwards to finding out more about Bennett and whether he has enough about him to step up to playing in the first team immediately, or whether he will be another option to use from the bench while we work on his talents?  Not sure that we will land Snodgrass as I am not sure if we would bid more than the £3.5 million already offered.  I personally would look elsewhere before splashing that kind of money on him.Get these couple of signings sorted and maybe one other midfielder and we can then focus on the defense.  Plenty of time left yet and the squad is starting to shape up nicely!

If we''re willing to put in bids of that weight for Snodgrass, I''d prefer to be spending it on his team-mate, Gradel. We need pace in this team for the Prem and he has that in abundance.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]If we''re willing to put in bids of that weight for Snodgrass, I''d prefer to be spending it on his team-mate, Gradel. We need pace in this team for the Prem and he has that in abundance.[/quote]

Bennett, Vaughan and Morison are all very quick.

However, so far we have only signed one of the three. Hopefully, we will have the other two by Monday afternoon. But can you imagine two pacey wingers and a strikeforce of Holt/Morison and Jackson/Vaughan?

Being able to have two different attacking options, the diamond or wing-attack, would be fantastic.

I''d much rather have Snodgrass than Gradel.

My feeling is that Gradel is a right-sided, better version of MacNamee, where as Snodgrass is a right-sided, possibly better version of Surman. I''d also expect them to have the same problems/success fitting into a midfield involving Hoolahan. Especially if/when we get Bennett, we would have more use, and more success with Snodgrass.

I''m not sure I get the we must have pace thing: what we must have is a way to score. We won''t do well if we try to cover every possible way to score and end up as a cheap version of whats already there, because those that are already there will do it better. If we go up with a coherent team which does what it does very very well, we have a much better chance.

[quote user="7rew"]I''d much rather have Snodgrass than Gradel. My feeling is that Gradel is a right-sided, better version of MacNamee, where as Snodgrass is a right-sided, possibly better version of Surman. I''d also expect them to have the same problems/success fitting into a midfield involving Hoolahan. Especially if/when we get Bennett, we would have more use, and more success with Snodgrass. I''m not sure I get the we must have pace thing: what we must have is a way to score. We won''t do well if we try to cover every possible way to score and end up as a cheap version of whats already there, because those that are already there will do it better. If we go up with a coherent team which does what it does very very well, we have a much better chance.[/quote]

I thought that Snodgrass could play either wing and through the middle (hence his value)?

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

However, so far we have only signed one of the three. Hopefully, we will have the other two by Monday afternoon. But can you imagine two pacey wingers and a strikeforce of Holt/Morison and Jackson/Vaughan?

Being able to have two different attacking options, the diamond or wing-attack, would be fantastic.

[/quote]

Who would the two pacey wingers be?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

Blimey mate check out todays date please because i have it as June 4th so still virtually a month before pre season training even starts.Surely nobody believes for one minute that defensive players will not be bought.Lambert has said he wants 7 players in and i for one have faith that they all will be here long before the season begins.

[/quote]

Totally agree. Perhaps I could have worded my post better.  My post was in response to Excited Canary who said that we only need 1 CB.  I think we need 2 as the Premiership is so unforgiving and certainly 1 CB with some pace about them.  IF that meant we had to sacrifice spending a lot on a keeper so that we could sign 2 CB''s then I think it would be wise to consider it.

[quote user="7rew"]I''d much rather have Snodgrass than Gradel. My feeling is that Gradel is a right-sided, better version of MacNamee, where as Snodgrass is a right-sided, possibly better version of Surman. I''d also expect them to have the same problems/success fitting into a midfield involving Hoolahan. Especially if/when we get Bennett, we would have more use, and more success with Snodgrass. I''m not sure I get the we must have pace thing: what we must have is a way to score. We won''t do well if we try to cover every possible way to score and end up as a cheap version of whats already there, because those that are already there will do it better. If we go up with a coherent team which does what it does very very well, we have a much better chance.[/quote]

We do definitely need pace throughout the team at Prem level.  Will get found out otherwise.  Lambert obviously knows this all too well, hence the signings of Vaughan and Morison and the offer for Bennett. I am sure he will be looking for the centre half he brings in to be at least as quick as Barnett aswell. It''s not just about finding a way to score, without pace can you imagine what fast breaking teams such as Arsenal will do to us?!  That''s not to say Snodgrass wouldn''t be a brilliant signing.  I hope we get both him and Bennett.

We need some pace, but I don'' think it''s anything you can''t make up for with other abilities. If a defender has great positional sense then he doesn''t need to be lightning quick to stop a fast break, especially if the back four have a good understanding of each other.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[/quote]

Who would the two pacey wingers be?

[/quote]

Bennett and Gradel. My point being I''d prefer Gradel over Snodgrass.

Again the lack of pace in our current midfield is why we should be going for the likes of Bennett and McGugan in my book and possibly getting Lansbury back off Arsenal as they don''t want him too.  Add somebody of Bullard''s ilk to that and I think that we would have the kind of options in midfield that we are likely to have upfront.In defence I think that one centre half and one right back (cover) is enough.  I would also like to see us go for Greeno in goal on a FREE transfer too.

i imagine that being human he is only able to do one deal at a time, so they may come in a few days apart over the next weeks.

[quote user="SuperZakWhitbread"]green isn''t on a free.[/quote]I thought that Green and Upson were at West Ham?Has Green signed a new contract recently then?  You appear to get differing info on some players depending on the source that you look at.

Smudger - you''re rapidly becoming the voice of sense on this board amongst a load of tosh in the main.

We do lack pace and need to inject some lightning impetus into our midfield. Bennett is a perfect signing and I hope it goes through. McGugan, whilst not scarily quick is quite quick and very clever - I agree that we need him if we can at all. I''d go to as much as £5m for him.

Swansea have a good chance of staying u because of Sinclair and Dyer on the wings and in defence a very quick player in Ashley Williams.

We also need a genuinely quick Centre Half.

The one thing that teams in ANY division can''t handle is sheer electric pace. The likes of Ferdinand/Vidic/Terry/Lescott/Carragher etc are no different - it scares the bejesus out of them and they can be made to look very ordinary. It''s a great way of getting to see the complacent, overpaid, over-rated Premiership defenders look uncomfortable!

I have just had an image of Holt v Ferdinand by the way...God I can''t wait. He has a face like a half-sucked mango and I can''t wait to see it screwed up in complaint to the referee all game.

[quote user="Muddy funster"]Smudger - you''re rapidly becoming the voice of sense on this board amongst a load of tosh in the main. We do lack pace and need to inject some lightning impetus into our midfield. Bennett is a perfect signing and I hope it goes through. McGugan, whilst not scarily quick is quite quick and very clever - I agree that we need him if we can at all. I''d go to as much as £5m for him. Swansea have a good chance of staying u because of Sinclair and Dyer on the wings and in defence a very quick player in Ashley Williams. We also need a genuinely quick Centre Half. The one thing that teams in ANY division can''t handle is sheer electric pace. The likes of Ferdinand/Vidic/Terry/Lescott/Carragher etc are no different - it scares the bejesus out of them and they can be made to look very ordinary. It''s a great way of getting to see the complacent, overpaid, over-rated Premiership defenders look uncomfortable! I have just had an image of Holt v Ferdinand by the way...God I can''t wait. He has a face like a half-sucked mango and I can''t wait to see it screwed up in complaint to the referee all game.[/quote]

Whilst i do agree that we need pace in the side Ashley Williams is a liability and Dyer won''t be good enough. Sinclair might be. Swansea will certainly be favourites to go down ahead of us.

Mark my words and bookmark this. Dyer will be good enough and Williams does have his tendencies to lose concentration but he will be snapped up by another Premier League side if not in January, then at the end of next season.

I can see QPR going back to the Championship . I can also see Swansea staying up as well as Norwich. A steady ship can sometimes make big waves!

You only have to look at Stoke to see the success of using pacey wingers. Swansea will be favourites ebcause they came up through the play-offs. I think the QPR will be more likely to go down then Swansea or us. They lack depth in the side, especially upfront.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="Muddy funster"]Smudger - you''re rapidly becoming the voice of sense on this board amongst a load of tosh in the main. We do lack pace and need to inject some lightning impetus into our midfield. Bennett is a perfect signing and I hope it goes through. McGugan, whilst not scarily quick is quite quick and very clever - I agree that we need him if we can at all. I''d go to as much as £5m for him. Swansea have a good chance of staying u because of Sinclair and Dyer on the wings and in defence a very quick player in Ashley Williams. We also need a genuinely quick Centre Half. The one thing that teams in ANY division can''t handle is sheer electric pace. The likes of Ferdinand/Vidic/Terry/Lescott/Carragher etc are no different - it scares the bejesus out of them and they can be made to look very ordinary. It''s a great way of getting to see the complacent, overpaid, over-rated Premiership defenders look uncomfortable! I have just had an image of Holt v Ferdinand by the way...God I can''t wait. He has a face like a half-sucked mango and I can''t wait to see it screwed up in complaint to the referee all game.[/quote]

Whilst i do agree that we need pace in the side Ashley Williams is a liability and Dyer won''t be good enough. Sinclair might be. Swansea will certainly be favourites to go down ahead of us.

[/quote]I think that Swansea are more likely to stay up than QPR Jim.  Sinclair is defo good enough and I would have liked us to have signed Pratley if they stayed down.  I can''t understand why he isn''t in their first 11.  Graham will be a good signing for them and I think they are fairly solid at the back.  With another few additions I think that Swansea will have enough about them to stay up.  Brendan Rodgers appears to be a good manager