Sign in to follow this  
Hog

Only signing British players...

Now don''t get me wrong I am in full support of Lambert and am happy so far with what we are doing to strengthen the squad.

But, who thinks that we should be looking abroad as well, its a fact that British based players are more expensive and I for one would like to see maybe just one player arrive from somewhere like Germany...

we''ve only signed two players, calm down. there will be scouts looking out in other countries.

[quote user="Hog"]

....and I for one would like to see maybe just one player arrive from somewhere like Germany...

[/quote]

Why? Do we have quotas to fill? Thankfully Football is one of the areas where it''s still a case of best man for the job. I don''t think that PL will go out of his way to employ foreign players because it''s fashionable.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="Hog"]

....and I for one would like to see maybe just one player arrive from somewhere like Germany...

[/quote]

Why? Do we have quotas to fill? Thankfully Football is one of the areas where it''s still a case of best man for the job. I don''t think that PL will go out of his way to employ foreign players because it''s fashionable.

[/quote]

Alright, don''t slaughter the Hog!

It''s not that it''s fashionable it''s just fact they''re better players that''s why most of the decent players in the prem i.e

Tevez

Drogba

Torres

Anelka

Suarez

Berbatov

Hernadez

Van Persie

Fabregas

Vidic

Malouda

Nani

Valencia

are foreign!

That''s why Spain won the world cup against Holland! We were spanked by the Germans in most departments and Barcelona made Man Utd look like a pub team!

The reason may be that we do not have yet a fully-developed scouting system able to spot young and hungry (and skilful) players abroad. The big Premiership teams do, and snap up good players, and we struggle to compete with them.

The second reason may be the language and ease of integrating players from abroad. PL was happy to sign Jackson, of Canada, and Whitbread of the USA, because there was no language barrier.

I am slightly surprised that, given PL''s background, he has not seemed to favour signing Scottish players. His signings are mainly English rather than British.

Once we are established in the Premiership, we may be able to afford to compete in the international market.

There is a lot more value in bringing in players from Europe that is for certain, however there is also more risk. I would say the risk is greater at Championship level were the football is a very kick and rush and specific to Britain. The Premier League is becoming much more similar to European style football so the transition is becoming easier.

It is interesting how Lambert seems to compeltely right off the idea of overseas players, and saying Jackson and Whitbread are examples of foreign players doesn''t really folllow through as both have played their entire careers in England. Whitbread is less American than Russell Martin is Scottish.

[quote user="Hog"]Ahh some more Hog-friendly replies. I thank you...[/quote]

No animosity here, just because I disagreed does not mean you''re on my hit-list...

...one big happy NCFC family.

Whilst your list of good imports is impressive there is an equally lengthy one of poor investments...last year''s signings of Boselli, Riveros, Poulsen and Jovanovic suggest it is not easy to adapt for even highly regarded players at big clubs.  Buying British-based players we don''t risk unsettling payers who don''t know the leagues and stay within the ''homegrown'' parameters for the future...

[quote user="Thisisbabyish"]Or offer pool 4-5m with add ons?[/quote]

Could be worth it, but I''d be very surprised if Liverpool were willing to sell.

[quote user="Hog"]

Now don''t get me wrong I am in full support of Lambert and am happy so far with what we are doing to strengthen the squad.

But, who thinks that we should be looking abroad as well, its a fact that British based players are more expensive and I for one would like to see maybe just one player arrive from somewhere like Germany...

[/quote]Nope.Great policy.  The lads will have a ''sense of place'' and will form a bond difficult to cultivate with overseas ''stars''. We are a small squad compared with the likes of Arsenal/Chelsea etc. and using UK players with good communication makes sense.Paul Lambert has got it right... again.

[quote user="Hightower"]

Whilst your list of good imports is impressive there is an equally lengthy one of poor investments...last year''s signings of Boselli, Riveros, Poulsen and Jovanovic suggest it is not easy to adapt for even highly regarded players at big clubs.  Buying British-based players we don''t risk unsettling payers who don''t know the leagues and stay within the ''homegrown'' parameters for the future...

[/quote]

Let''s not forget our left back last season as well. He only came south of the border and found it hard to relocate and "fit in."

Bear in mind that Lambert is keen on young players, and that unlike London and other large urban areas Norwich isn''t particularly cosmopolitan. Players often still struggle to fit in at the big clubs where there is an existing infrastructure designed to settle the players and welcome them into a new culture. If English bargains are available (I personally feel that Vaughan and Bennett are such) then it makes some sense to go for those players. Let''s not forget that many of Lambert''s existing signings (Rus Martin, Fox, Tierney) have played with him before and that if the Snodgrass rumour is believed to be true that would a further player to add to ex-legion, not forgetting Hoolahan either.