Sign in to follow this  
Beauseant

Covering all the bases

The level of activity that we''ve seen from the club over the last couple of weeks has been tremendous, and, with the Morison deal apparently done and dusted, and several other interesting names being bandied around, it''s clear that we can expect to see more arrivals sooner rather than later.

What''s really impressed me is the fact that we appear to be homing in on players who have the potential to step up rather than Premiership discards (I accept that you could put Vaughan in that category, but at 22 he has a huge capacity to develop). While the sort of players we are being linked with will give us an excellent chance of staying up, there is also a very effective Plan B should we fail to do so. Unlike last time we would have a young squad with a season at the top level under their belt and the desire to bounce straight back. Inevitably if some of them had a good season they would be desired by Premiership clubs, but we would be able to do what the likes of Leeds and Posh have done to us this year and push for a high price as we would not have too much financial pressure to sell, and a few million gives you a lot of purchasing power in the Championship, as QPR have demonstrated.

In a nutshell, the clubs Brains Trust are giving us a great chance of becoming a Premiership fixture without hocking the family silver, and we won''t end up saddled with the hefty contracts of such desirable talents as Charlton, Helveg and Stuart if the worst happens. It''s great to see.[<:o)]

Vaughan to me seems to have the whole package: pacy, strong, skillfull, young, Prem experience, dedicated to the cause; the list goes on. The only thing going against him is his injury record.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

The level of activity that we''ve seen from the club over the last couple of weeks has been tremendous, and, with the Morison deal apparently done and dusted, and several other interesting names being bandied around, it''s clear that we can expect to see more arrivals sooner rather than later.

What''s really impressed me is the fact that we appear to be homing in on players who have the potential to step up rather than Premiership discards (I accept that you could put Vaughan in that category, but at 22 he has a huge capacity to develop). While the sort of players we are being linked with will give us an excellent chance of staying up, there is also a very effective Plan B should we fail to do so. Unlike last time we would have a young squad with a season at the top level under their belt and the desire to bounce straight back. Inevitably if some of them had a good season they would be desired by Premiership clubs, but we would be able to do what the likes of Leeds and Posh have done to us this year and push for a high price as we would not have too much financial pressure to sell, and a few million gives you a lot of purchasing power in the Championship, as QPR have demonstrated.

In a nutshell, the clubs Brains Trust are giving us a great chance of becoming a Premiership fixture without hocking the family silver, and we won''t end up saddled with the hefty contracts of such desirable talents as Charlton, Helveg and Stuart if the worst happens. It''s great to see.[<:o)]

[/quote]

Good post, Robin. You mentioned something I didn''t pick up on, if we were to go down (which I don''t believe we will) then we could at least command reasonable money for any player that excels in the Premier, so it actually wouldn''t be all doom and gloom - We''d still have the basis of a superb squad.

But we aren''t going to come back down under Lambert, I can just feel it in my bones, the only way is UP under his leadership. My other prediction for next season is that Holty will get an England call up.

Relieved to see you posting Beau!The whole club seems to be acting in such an intelligent manner, I feel incredibly optimistic for its long-term health. Everything seems to be thought through in depth. What could possibly go wrong??Loads of things, of course; injuries, loss of form, family problems etc. etc., but all you can do is evaluate & weigh up all the possible outcomes of your actions. Then keep everything crossed!The important thing is that everyone, from the board & CEO down, is doing their level best. and, collectively, their best is very, very good.OTBC!

As Zhou Enlai said when asked halfway through the 20th century what were the long-term effects of the 1789 French Revolution: "Oh, it''s far too early to tell." I think we need to wait for PurpleCanary[8-|] to deliver one of his or her incomprehensible 5,000-word explanations of why things are not as they seem. However they seem.[:D][;)][:D]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

As Zhou Enlai said when asked halfway through the 20th century what were the long-term effects of the 1789 French Revolution: "Oh, it''s far too early to tell." I think we need to wait for PurpleCanary[8-|] to deliver one of his or her incomprehensible 5,000-word explanations of why things are not as they seem. However they seem.[:D][;)][:D]

[/quote]

To be honest, I''d also like the view of my near neighbour in the Jarrold. Whereas you are clearly erudite and considered in all your thoughts and responses, there is still a need for someone to scream  "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSWWWWWWWWWWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHH!" close to my ear at random intervals.Since the season ended my life has somehow felt incomplete in that respect. [:D][;)][:D]

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

To be honest, I''d also like the view of my near neighbour in the Jarrold. Whereas you are clearly erudite and considered in all your thoughts and responses, there is still a need for someone to scream  "SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSWWWWWWWWWWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHH!" close to my ear at random intervals.Since the season ended my life has somehow felt incomplete in that respect. [:D][;)][:D]

[/quote]

---

Not sure about that, Beau. I did once shock my immediate neighbours with:

"Oh, I say, that really is rather a bad miss."

...after one of Banjo Cureton''s efforts was last seen disppearing on a coal truck out of Thorpe Station towards Great Yarmouth.

I understand you feeling bereft without Mr Switch. Who wouldn''t? But if you do ever tire of his peerless insights I can give an old chum a ring. See if he can take fill in. A decent cove. Knows his football all right. And still travels a lot so no problem in him getting to matches at Carrow Road. The only thing is from time to time he''ll probably get out his mobile phone and say:

"Bomb Cambodia NOW!!!"

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

---

Beau, a slightly more serious response, although I would prefer not to compare now with last time. Mainly because to do so would enrage the Beatify the Blessed Worthy Committee...[:P][;)][:P]

Also because the financial situation is different. The second-tier play-off final used to be described as the £20m game. Blink and it''s £90m. Against that, wages had not started equalling the GDP of middling third world countries.

But your main point about a fallback position if we get relegated seems spot on to me. Although fans need to bear in mind that even the already sainted McNally will be signing contracts with clauses that allow our new signings to leave this time next year if we get relegated and a PL club comes in for them.

And the players we have signed so far (assuming Morison...)  have perhaps been easy captures. Players not on the radar of top PL clubs who regard us as a step up and also think with us they will actually get to play. Bennett, if we are interested, fits that category. If we aim hgher than that (Snodgrass?) there may be disappointments. So euphoria, but a cautious, very English euphoria...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

---

Beau, a slightly more serious response, although I would prefer not to compare now with last time. Mainly because to do so would enrage the Beatify the Blessed Worthy Committee...[:P][;)][:P]

Also because the financial situation is different. The second-tier play-off final used to be described as the £20m game. Blink and it''s £90m. Against that, wages had not started equalling the GDP of middling third world countries.

But your main point about a fallback position if we get relegated seems spot on to me. Although fans need to bear in mind that even the already sainted McNally will be signing contracts with clauses that allow our new signings to leave this time next year if we get relegated and a PL club comes in for them.

And the players we have signed so far (assuming Morison...)  have perhaps been easy captures. Players not on the radar of top PL clubs who regard us as a step up and also think with us they will actually get to play. Bennett, if we are interested, fits that category. If we aim hgher than that (Snodgrass?) there may be disappointments. So euphoria, but a cautious, very English euphoria...

[/quote]

I agree with you PC, although the fact that we have gone back with improved offers for both Morison and Snodgrass suggests that we''re not inclined to give up too easily. However, it remains to be seen how far we are prepared to push things when we''re in direct competition.

There''s obviously an element of brinksmanship in any transfer dealings, and going over budget on any acquisition  has a knock on effect on all subsequent ones. Cool heads are essential, but I trust McNally and co to have them!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

---

Not sure about that, Beau. I did once shock my immediate neighbours with:

"Oh, I say, that really is rather a bad miss."

...after one of Banjo Cureton''s efforts was last seen disppearing on a coal truck out of Thorpe Station towards Great Yarmouth.

I understand you feeling bereft without Mr Switch. Who wouldn''t? But if you do ever tire of his peerless insights I can give an old chum a ring. See if he can take fill in. A decent cove. Knows his football all right. And still travels a lot so no problem in him getting to matches at Carrow Road. The only thing is from time to time he''ll probably get out his mobile phone and say:

"Bomb Cambodia NOW!!!"

[/quote]

I wonder what they do with coal in Great Yarmouth?

COYY!!

(Or on the way for that matter......[:$])

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

---

[/quote]

---

To carry on with the seriousness, the squad that got us promoted this time has to be regarded as weaker than the 2003/04 squad. This time, 84 points and a 25 goal difference. Last time, 94 points and a 40 goal difference.

And it is not just the statistics. I can''t believe anyone would take Ruddy over Green, for example, or our stike-force this last season over that of Roberts, Mckenzie, Svensson and Huckerby. Or our current defence over what was a well-drilled unit of Edworthy, Mackay, Fleming and Drury. Against that, our very plain midfield then of Holt and  Francis lacked creativity compared to the current lot. And there were two stalwarts (Mackay and Roberts) who were deemd not good enough to make the step up.

And there may be players currently who will make the step up. That is one of the fascinating imponderables about next season. We have shot through two divisons in a hurry. Is that one promotion too soon for some players? We shall see. But for the moment the previous promotion squad has to be assessed as stronger than the one now being built on.

Exactly my thoughts Beau. Perhaps a few felt we would get in some big names but this way we''ve brought in players that will continue the never-say-die attitude and determination Lambert has instilled into the players whilst adding a bit of quality and depth to the squad. No matter what some people say it''s more than likely we''ll come back down and therefore we have to be prepared for if it happens.

I don''t buy the "2 promotions in 2 seasons is too much for some players" because there''s only Holt, Hoolahan and R Martin who are likely to be starters next year that played in L1 for us (save 1 or 2 starts for an injured Zak Whitbread). Lambert inherited one side for L1 and then built another for last season. I think he''s doing the same this time out again, but I don''t see any reason why a big "in-your-face" striker like Holty will fail to terrify defenders any less in this league, and likewise Wes has enough ability to hurt any defence.

The big thing for me this time around is that I have a lot more faith in the manager, which is not a slight on Worthington because he achieved a lot here. However, Lambert is far more astute tactically and a better man-manager and motivator. The fact that we just don''t lose 2 games in a row is the kind of attitude that will hold us in good stead this season, and I don''t see this team having the fragility of the last Premier League side. The centre halves alone are far better options than Fleming, Charlton, Doherty and a very young Shackell.

Thought this was a good blog. From ''Sing Up The River End'' :

Saturday, 4 June 2011

Not All That Glitters Is Gold

Think

about it quickly, and the Premier League is a daunting, frightening

place. World class players appear in almost all of the teams in the

division, and the ability to produce sublime footballing skills from

just about any point on the pitch is beyond none of them. But take a

step back for a minute, and reality shows that in truth, there is also

plenty on show that is mundane and average. Whilst the glorious

incidents are remembered and played back on our television screens

endlessly, the more average performances go, generally, unrecorded.

There is little doubt that in 2011-2012, Norwich City will find

themselves swimming with the big fish at least twelve months ahead of

schedule. Possibly even twenty four or thirty six months before their

allotted time. For even the most ardent Canary fan did not really

believe that the squad we had assembled at the start of the last

campaign would be developed enough to secure a top two finish, and the

powers that be at Carrow Road certainly worked hard to play down any

talk of a second promotion with the announcement of a seven year plan to

get Norwich back into the elite.

Undoubtedly, the board overlooked telling the players about their plan!

So, we find ourselves in the big time again, and, on the surface,

undercooked for what lies ahead. Yet, it would take a brave person to

predict immediate relegation, given the track record of those in charge

of the club these past two years. One thing that is hard to imagine is

that a side belonging to Paul Lambert will do anything but go down

fighting. They will eke out every point they possibly can, and from

every impossible situation they find themselves in. And whilst they will

inevitably fall to some unstoppable magic on more than a few occasions,

it won''t always be so. There will be plenty of days when the opposition

will be eminently beatable. And those days will be our defining

moments. Wet afternoons at Carrow Road, with floodlights on, against

teams not playing well. Perhaps tired from a European jaunt. Or rocked

by losing their manager a few days earlier. Teams that have gone six

matches without a win. Carry talk of board or dressing room disharmony.

And who knows, maybe the odd side who travel the long distance to East

Anglia and simply take a win for granted. No, not all that glitters is

gold, in the Premier League.

Signs currently suggest that for the second summer running, Norwich City

are recruiting players that will fit into the group. The more I think

about it, the more I realise that the players brought on board during

the last close season were exceptional. Though largely unknown and

unproven at Championship level, they not only blended, they also

provided the injection of talent needed to take the club upwards. With

James Vaughan already confirmed as a new arrival from Everton, and Steve

Morison likely to land from Millwall, the Canaries scouting operation

looks as if it has again turned up players who are hungry and motivated

to succeed. Some fans will be disappointed that there is a lack of

linkage with the rich and famous talent that £40 million puts within

reach. But believe me, the names we are being associated with, will, in

the long run, turn out to be much better additions. Because we are in

the Premier League ahead of schedule. And we still have some serious

squad building to do if we want to achieve our real goal - to become a

regular fixture in the competition.

Survival this year would be brilliant. But should that not happen, we

need the backbone of the squad to remain committed to the club. The odds

of escaping relegation are against us. As is the likelihood of bouncing

straight back up after demotion should it come to that. But whatever

happens we need to use 2011-2012 as a huge building block to our future.

The recruitment of solid hard working professionals will do nicely. Men

who are prepared to come to Norwich and labour awhile. Get on board and

enjoy the ride, wherever the final destination is. If we can do a Hull

City and stay up, that would be marvellous. If not, a West Bromwich

Albion, where we come straight back up again would suffice.

In the long term, with the huge divide between Premier League income and

that of the Championship, a new tier of English football clubs is

emerging. Take out the very wealthiest, and you are left with a group

consisting of twenty or more businesses that are sailing away from a

much poorer set of clubs - those that have not been in the top level for

many years. The gap widens year on year. The likes of Barnsley,

Coventry City and Bristol City all know that a season in the Premier

League gives them a chance to survive long term. Which is where Norwich

City now find themselves. But the story does not end there. Because

others have reached the promised land, wasted their new found wealth on

over priced and over paid players, fallen back to the place from where

they came with one almighty bump, and in historical terms, not moved

forward one inch.

That, is what we must not copy.

We would never join the real elite - at least not without big outside

investment. And I must be honest and say I am not sure if I would really

want that for my club. No, twenty years giving the top clubs a damn

good run for their money would be nice. Football empires are built on

sand at the moment. We all know it would not take a lot for a number of

them to come tumbling down. In the next twelve months, with our new

building block in place, we have the chance to start catching up on some

of our old adversaries. And leaving a few behind.

It is hard to decide if things have ever been controlled better from

within Carrow Road. The early seventies perhaps? Possibly the end of the

eighties? But in both of those eras, the prize was nowhere near as big

as it is today.

No. This is our time. The future has never been as sumptuous as this, I am sure.

I have to say I think this comment is crazy. I would say our squad is much stronger than the one that got promoted in 2003/4 in fact I cannot believe anyone would disagree.

Ruddy over Green without doubt

Holt Jackson and Martin over Roberts McKenzie and Svenson

Defence also prefer what we have and we know we will sign more.

Midfield much prefer what we have.

The only exception is we do not have a Huckerby, who knows How Hooly or Bennett may work out but this squad is much much stronger and there are no regular players that will be put out to pasture.

Please reasses your assesment because it is rubbish.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Thought this was a good blog. From ''Sing Up The River End''

[/quote]

--

ron, thanks for posting that. Perhaps doesn''t stress enough how poor our owners are compared even to the supposedly poorer PL clubs, but still an interesting read, with some excellent points.

Meanwhile, just to back up my earlier post about the respective strengths of this promotion squad as against the last one. This time we scored 1.8 goals a game and let in 1.26 goals, and kept 11 clean sheets.

Last time we scored 1.7 goals a game (so only just under) but let in only 0.8 goals and kept 18 clean sheets. That is a massive difference, defensively, while there is little to choose in terms of scoring goals. And the bottom line is that the 2003/04 squad racked up 10 more points over the season.