Sign in to follow this  
ncfc4life

Future of Chris Martin, Oli Johnson and Cody McDonald

What do people think are the future of these three strikers. As things stand we currently along with the three mentioned in the title we have Holt, Jackson, Vaughan and Morrison. So thats seven strikers so surely OJ, Cody and Martin could be up for grabs. Cody will surely be off as he is not going to get a game and with his contract up we might aswell cash in on him. Considering we only signed him for £20k we most probably will make a profit on him. I also think we should get rid of Johnson, while he was ok in league 1 i really dont think he is even championship standard. While I dont think we should sell Martin I think it would be worth loaning him out to a championship club for a bit as doubt he will get many games here but I still think he could come good for us at some point and wouldnt want to get rid of him

They have got one but probably not at Norwich.I see no place for Oli he didnt do too much at Yeovil. Martin probably out on loan to a league 1 or championship club. Cody not sure think he may just get sold. If he stays at the club he will be about 6th choice and never get a sniff

[quote user="ncfc4life"]As things stand we currently along with the three mentioned in the title we have Holt, Jackson, Vaughan and Morrison. So thats seven strikers....[/quote]

You arre forgetting Wilbraham and Daley. I think Martin will be named in the 25, Cody and possibly Daley loaned out for half a year and the other two released or sold.

I very much doubt Cody will go out on loan again, he''s only got a year left on his contract, if we want to get anything for him we have to capitalise on his decent season in League 2 and sell him this summer.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]They have got one but probably not at Norwich.I see no place for Oli he didnt do too much at Yeovil. Martin probably out on loan to a league 1 or championship club. Cody not sure think he may just get sold. If he stays at the club he will be about 6th choice and never get a sniff[/quote]

Loan Martin out to a league one club? are you mad?? Chris Martin deserves his chance in the P.L and I for one think he will see plenty of action and be a big player for us. I really dont understand why fans think he should be shipped out?!

He got 4 league goals in the championship last season. He had some half decent games then faded badley before getting injured, thereafter when fit he didnt get a sniff of a game in the last quarter of the season. Holt and Jackson are clearly well ahead of him as will be vaughan and Morison, when and where will he get a game? The worst thing for him is to stagnate on the bench he needs games and goals to get his confidence and then maybe fight his way back into the squad or at least put himself in the shop window. He will be worth less after last season than he was after we got promoted from league 1.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]They have got one but probably not at Norwich.I see no place for Oli he didnt do too much at Yeovil. Martin probably out on loan to a league 1 or championship club. Cody not sure think he may just get sold. If he stays at the club he will be about 6th choice and never get a sniff[/quote]

Because he''s crap?

Loan Martin out to a league one club? are you mad?? Chris Martin deserves his chance in the P.L and I for one think he will see plenty of action and be a big player for us. I really dont understand why fans think he should be shipped out?![/quote]

Chris Martins reminds me a lot of Lee Power, he initaly broke into the first team and done well. Lee never progressed and his carear faded. I think if Chris is not getting any first team action, he should go on loan to a Championship team with a call back option if we suffer any injuries. Personaly I think he is capable of being a top player but his attitude needs to better. The other two players are unlikely to feature and Wilbraham and Daley will struggle to get into the matchday squad. Would not be surprised to see any of these four strikers move on.

I would prefer it if Chris stayed at City, I think when fully fit he''ll be important for us....as for the others, its going to be hard for them to get a game. Cody may get us a few quid from a championship side but IMO Oli isn''t really up to Championship level so may get sold on to a League 1 club

What about Tom Adeyemi? He seems to have slipped off everyone''s radar lately. I remember posters last year saying he was a better prospect than Korey or Cody.Chris Martin''s a difficult one. Very clever, technically gifted player, not the quickest - but that didn''t hamper Sheringham''s career too much. You get the feeling that he doesn''t have quite the same attitude as the rest of the team, however. The rest are all the sort you''d want in the trenches next to you, so to speak, but I don''t get that feeling with Chris. Could be a fatal flaw.

Sell Oli.

Extend Cody''s contract on the proviso that he''s loaned out to a Championship club for a year to prove himself at that level, giving us a natural option should we get relegated.

Keep Chris Martin, maybe loan him out later in the year if he''s not getting a sniff...

Next question.

Chris Martin is one of the most gifted players at the club.

It seems that he can mature better as a player than as a person and that, perhaps, is where the problem is.

Once he learns a few lessons of life he has the ability to be a very good player. 

Here we go again. Martin is a good player who was our firtst choice striker alongside Holt before he got injured/the court case shenanigans. If Lambert can get his head right he is an asset to the squad and should definitely be kept.

I think Macdonald and Johnson will go and possibly Wilbraham as well (the latter maybe on loan) and we will go into the season with our striker options being Holt, Morrison, Vaughan, Jackson and Martin. I would also see if we can get Pacheco on loan again.

Martin needs games to progress and he''s not gunna get them with us next year, either loan him out or if we need the money for someone else sell him for around 1.5m.

Only someone who is blind would lump Chris Martin in with Johnson and MacDonald.Martin will be here next season and will get games, and score.Oli Johnson is a league one sub, was used as such, and will be ditched quick-sharp.MacDonald is not the messiah, he is a very average league one player, and will get sold for a nominal sum.

1.5 million.  How is cuckooland these days?[quote user="Mahogany"]Martin needs games to progress and he''s not gunna get them with us next year, either loan him out or if we need the money for someone else sell him for around 1.5m.[/quote]

1.5m is a fair price for what anyone can see is a very promising and already pretty good striker. OK 6 in 23 starts this year isn''t a great return but he played well in most of those games.

He''s only 22, he''s two footed, he was an important part of a team that got promoted 2 seasons in a row, and the season before last he scored over 20. Seems to me any Championship club should want him if they''ve watched him carefully. 1.5m makes him less than half the price of Graham who has only had 1 good season and is several years older, and a million cheaper than Morison who he outscored in our League 1 season and he is 5 years younger than him.

Mahogany, one thing i`ve noticed on this forum is that many people rate a player on how they are perceived "now", and don`t seem to understand that clubs have to pay a big premium for potential. Based on last season Martin is barely worth £1m. Based on his very obvious talent (how many times has lambert stated what an exceptional finisher he is?), his previous purple patches and the fact he`s only 22 and has plenty of time to sort his issues out and develop into a top player, he`s easily worth £1.5m and i doubt we`d even sell him for that.

During last seasons''s lean spell in front of goal for Martin, I was always of the opinion that it was a confidence thing, with off-the-pitch nonsense affecting his form, and that as soon as one went in he would start putting them away regularly (as we saw with Jackson).  Don''t forget that in many games he was thwarted either by goal-line clearances, outstanding goalkeeping displays, or simple the woodwork. It wasn''t through a lack of quality that the goals weren''t going in, it just seemed that luck wasn''t on his side at a time when he needed it the most.

His injury and Jackson''s return to form put paid to him making amends towards the end of the season, which as Mr Carrow has mentioned has left some with the impression that Martin was useless the whole season, when he clearly wasn''t.

He deserves a clean slate from his troubles last season and the chance to prove himself at the level that many fans have thought in the past would be the making of him, and I suspect he''ll get that under Lambert.

Yeah, I''d say 1.5m minimum, but even then only sell if we need the money to bring in someone where we have less cover. Better to send him out on loan till January to a good Championship team, Brighton maybe? To see how he gets on (and how we are getting on).

Personally I see it this way.

Holt Jackson Vaughan and Morison are our first choice forwards.

Sell Oli and Wilbraham

Short term loans on Cody and Martin to Chanpionship clubs.

Remember we cannot fall back on emergency loans in the prem and should we have a problem with injuries or form we may need Martin and Cody.

i really think martin wont be playing for us next season, after his court case he dident get a look in and i doubt he was injured i think PL doesnt want his sort in the dressing room!

i think he got in trouble one to many times for PL

Can''t see Johnson, McDonald or Wilbraham being here come August but Chris Martin will be named in the 25 and have an opporunity to grab a place in the 18 or even 11. They''ll start level when pre-season begins, apart from Holty of course and whoever earns the position through training and matches will get it.

There is no doubting his ability, at times I thought he was superb this season, times not so good but for whatever reason the goals didn''t materialise. However he''s still young and will come again.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Can''t see Johnson, McDonald or Wilbraham being here come August but Chris Martin will be named in the 25 and have an opporunity to grab a place in the 18 or even 11. They''ll start level when pre-season begins, apart from Holty of course and whoever earns the position through training and matches will get it. There is no doubting his ability, at times I thought he was superb this season, times not so good but for whatever reason the goals didn''t materialise. However he''s still young and will come again.[/quote]

Being Captain, i''m sure Holt will start but all the others have to prove themselves next year.

i think Martin will still be here but we''ll have to wait and see.  as for Wilbraham, McDonald, Daley, and Johnson i really do feel they will be sold. 

someone mentioned Adeyemi and i think he''s an exceptional young player.  still too early for him to be considered for first team action so i hope he goes on loan to a championship club next year and comes back to us with even more experience.

[quote user="barclay_boy111"]i really think martin wont be playing for us next season, after his court case he dident get a look in and i doubt he was injured i think PL doesnt want his sort in the dressing room!

i think he got in trouble one to many times for PL[/quote]Why do you doubt he was injured? Do you not believe what Paul Lambert say''s?If Paul Lambert didn''t want him around the dressing room do you honestly believe he would have had him travel to away games towards the end of last season even when he didn''t make it onto the bench?My opinion is Chris Martin still has a big future at the club, he''s only 22 and has plenty of potential to get better, he might not have been banging goals in for fun last season but not for the want of trying, but goal scoring isn''t the only side to his game, just look back at the highlights of last season and see the off ball running he does, look at the amount of inch perfect passes he made, look at the amount of balls he won and finally look at the amount of goals he set up.I''m not one who looks through yellow and green tinted glasses and thinks he is a world class player but he is a very good player and with the right direction (which he will get from Norwich City) he will get better and better.

The future for these 3 will be very different however I beleive that two of them will take the path out of Carrow Raod this Summer.

Cody, is a sellable asset right now. As mentioned our climb up the league will be detrimental to some in our squad. Cody however has proved himself on loan and hence will get a move to be a starter this season.

Oli however unfortunately did not make an impression while on loan, well on the scoring sheets. He certainly will not be part of our teams season following our rise and his lack of first team games may limit where he goes on loan or if he is released.

Chris Martin however still does have a role, 22 years of age and without doubt our most natural finisher in the box. His off the field incidents, have now meant that Lambert has given him now one more chance. I believe he will have a little part to play in the Premeirship season, but if we sign another striker a loan move would be very likely.

The reason I mention another striker is that I do have one concern over Simeon Jackson that could effect his whole season and subsequently our own. I don''t rate him as highly as Martin but because they are very different strikers I see the benefits very much of Jackson. But his lack of confidence earlier this season and his time in gaining it is a major concern. It took until the beginning of April to find his place and with this confidence problem if it happened again then I would be very concerned. I certainly feel that Morsion and Vaughan''s competition could put them above the Canadian in the pecking order.

So Simeon has a future but I do have reservations of him being considered a certain strike partner of Holts.

Wilbraham, well his contract ends at the end of this season, I think he is very unlikely to be in the 25 man squad. But I cannot see a potential suitor for Wilby and I can see him in the reserves. I understand from a number of reports that he is very good in the dressing room.

So Cody moves on, Oli possibly moving on, Martin at the club but potential loan for some of the season, Simeon in the 25 man squad and Wilby in the reserves.

This does leave Daley, who I think would flourish with regular reserve football. He needs it for us to evaluate him and go from there, possibly a loan deal.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

Here we go again. Martin is a good player who was our firtst choice striker alongside Holt before he got injured/the court case shenanigans. If Lambert can get his head right he is an asset to the squad and should definitely be kept.

I think Macdonald and Johnson will go and possibly Wilbraham as well (the latter maybe on loan) and we will go into the season with our striker options being Holt, Morrison, Vaughan, Jackson and Martin. I would also see if we can get Pacheco on loan again.

[/quote]Spot on Jim, exactly what I would do, down to the trying to get Pacheco back on loan as the season starts if Liverpool aren''t going to be using him.  I think this will be Lambert''s thinking too!Chris Martin will get a chance at some point this coming season, as will each of our strikers.  He needs to take that chance when it comes and he has the ability to do it.  At the moment he offers something different to the squad than our other four main strikers do.