Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Messiah

Bid for Matt Mills

Apparently we have put a bid in for Reading''s center back and captain Matt Mills who is valued around at £3 million. If signed he is expected to form a defensive partnership with Leon Barnett and Zak Whitbread and Elliot Ward will be used as back up for injuries or suspensions. He can add pace to our backline which was crucially missed the last time we were in the Premier League.

I would love us to get him. was absolutely superb in the play off final inparticular.

[quote user="Time For Heroes"]Scored in the playoff final againts Swansea. Used to play for Doncaster[/quote]

Like many of us on here, I watched that game - and still don''t remember him!

Started off at Southampton I believe, then from there to Man City, to Doncaster and now at Reading. He''d be a great signing IMO, 24 years old, well over 6 ft, good in the air, a real presence at the back and at set pieces, I''ve always rated him.

Might be some legs in this one, sounds like he played under Sir Lambert for a few months in ''07 at Colchester...

[quote user="Alex"]Might be some legs in this one, sounds like he played under Sir Lambert for a few months in ''07 at Colchester...[/quote]

Forget that, PL started at Col U in ''08.

I do hope that Paul Lambert gave Smudger a call asking for his expert opinion on how this guy has been performing for Reading this past season.I am sure Smudger has watched him intently throughout his career like all other players mentioned on this messageboard.I just have to settle for highlights of about 30 seconds on The Football League Show or MOTD to make a snap judgement so how Smudger  sees these guys week in week out for 90 minutes is some feat and beyond me.[;)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I do hope that Paul Lambert gave Smudger a call asking for his expert opinion on how this guy has been performing for Reading this past season.I am sure Smudger has watched him intently throughout his career like all other players mentioned on this messageboard.I just have to settle for highlights of about 30 seconds on The Football League Show or MOTD to make a snap judgement so how Smudger  sees these guys week in week out for 90 minutes is some feat and beyond me.[;)][/quote]Smudger hasn''t even comment on this thread has he? why the personal attacks so soon, i see a regular pattern for this emerging in your comments.I have to admit i don''t know much about him, but i really hope we sign a few quality defender, it''s where we are lacking most. We need a backup RB and in all honesty, prob 2 starting CB, i dont think any of our current group are good enough, Barnett may be the exception, i have not seen him play that much. Also a DM would be nice

I''m sure that he is a good player but in the play offs, isn''t he the one that made the mistake for the first and put through his own net for the second. Then got one back from a corner?

[quote user="priceyrice"][quote user="TIL 1010"]I do hope that Paul Lambert gave Smudger a call asking for his expert opinion on how this guy has been performing for Reading this past season.I am sure Smudger has watched him intently throughout his career like all other players mentioned on this messageboard.I just have to settle for highlights of about 30 seconds on The Football League Show or MOTD to make a snap judgement so how Smudger  sees these guys week in week out for 90 minutes is some feat and beyond me.[;)][/quote]

Smudger hasn''t even comment on this thread has he? why the personal attacks so soon, i see a regular pattern for this emerging in your comments.

I have to admit i don''t know much about him, but i really hope we sign a few quality defender, it''s where we are lacking most. We need a backup RB and in all honesty, prob 2 starting CB, i dont think any of our current group are good enough, Barnett may be the exception, i have not seen him play that much. Also a DM would be nice
[/quote]

Priceyrice,just for your information i drink before and after home games with Smudger and travel with him to away games so i think you are reading a little to deeply into my post.Yes i will agree that he has not posted on this thread yet but he has been all over this messageboard like measles giving his expert opinion on CMS,Morison,Vaughan,Bennett to name but a few and if you read the Osman thread he has run his radar over the whole of the Everton squad.Smudger knows that he watches no more football than the next man but what makes him convey this know it all persona with regard to footballers i personally find a tad annoying and he knows it.

My mate in Reading said we are one of a number of clubs mentioned in a local paper to be interested in Reading''s players. We are linked with putting in a bid for Matt Mills along with a few other prem teams. If we are as interested in Mills as we were in Miroslav Klose remains to be seen.

Having watched a few clips of him on YooToob, I do recognise him now. He appears to have played half decently against some Prem teams, but as Tilly says, I''ll wait for Smudger to confirm whether or not Matt Mills could cut the mustard for us in the Premier League ;)

Mills has easily been one of the best defenders in the Championship over the previous season. His name really started being mentioned regularly during and after Reading''s cup run. I would definitely class him as the type of player Lambert will be looking to sign. I would however certainly expect some tough competition to sign him from a number of clubs.

as i said, i genuinely dont think he''s better than what we have already.....certainly not worth breaking the bank for!. I also remember the torrid time Holt & co gave him at the Majdeski this season, before that imcompetant litte boy masquerading as the ref, that day intervened.

[quote user=" Badger"]I''m sure that he is a good player but in the play offs, isn''t he the one that made the mistake for the first and put through his own net for the second. Then got one back from a corner?[/quote]I think that was Khizanishvili wasn''t it?As for Mills, I think he is one of the better centre halves from the Championship, but would agree with GJL and say that he is no better than what we already have here already.As for those who keep putting Barnett as the best centre half currently at the club, you already know my feelings on that.  Ward is the best and then Whitbread for me.  Barnett gives the ball directly back to the opposition too easily and we will get punished for that in the Premiership.  I assume that is why West Brom decided to sell him???

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user=" Badger"]I''m sure that he is a good player but in the play offs, isn''t he the one that made the mistake for the first and put through his own net for the second. Then got one back from a corner?[/quote]

I think that was Khizanishvili wasn''t it?

As for Mills, I think he is one of the better centre halves from the Championship, but would agree with GJL and say that he is no better than what we already have here already.

As for those who keep putting Barnett as the best centre half currently at the club, you already know my feelings on that.  Ward is the best and then Whitbread for me.  Barnett gives the ball directly back to the opposition too easily and we will get punished for that in the Premiership.  I assume that is why West Brom decided to sell him???
[/quote]

While I agree with you with regard to Mills, who would be an excellent signing, I have to take you to task on Ward, Smudge.

He''s very assured on the ball and passes well, but the primary function of a centre back is to defend and that''s where the problems start. He switches off at key moments and, more importantly, has a basic technical defect when he goes into a challenge. If you watch the build ups to Reading''s and Bristol City''s equalisers at Carrow Road and Hull''s equaliser at the KC you''ll see exactly the same scenario.Player runs directly at Ward who turns side on and tries to tackle with one foot, instead of using his full body. The other critical example is the build up to the free kick for Swansea''s first at the Liberty. Again, Ward, given the chance to take the man out 15 yards outside the box, waves an ineffectual leg, forcing Whitbread to concede a free kick (and pick up a booking) on the edge of the area. I love a graceful centre back as much as the next man, but there''s a time where you''ve either got to win the ball or put the man on the floor, and Ward doesn''t have that ruthlessness.

Whitbread is a class act, although his lack of pace may be an issue, whereas Barnett is raw, but has the athleticism to recover most of his mistakes. To me they are abest current two, but we need to upgrade, and Mills certainly fits the bill, in that he''s big, mobile, a natural leader and good on the ground as well as in the air

Sounds a good target. I think Reading paid on or about £2m for him though and possibly have a sell on clause would they sell for £3m. I think they would resist the move if they want to progressnext season. Also Swansea have been strongly linked. I guess the player will be keen to go to the premiership. May be a bit of an auction between Swansea and ourselves may need more than £3m

[quote user="Alex"]Funny thing is, another tabloid reckons Swansea have put a £3million bid in for him....[/quote]

I had a little poke around online and a few people are mentioning Swansea and Bolton (to replace Cahill) with a fee of £3m being banded about.

[quote user="Alex"]Ashamed to say I''ve never heard of him. Where did you get this info, Canaryfan?[/quote]

Where have you been hiding for the past few months?

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Sounds a good target. I think Reading paid on or about £2m for him though and possibly have a sell on clause would they sell for £3m. I think they would resist the move if they want to progressnext season. Also Swansea have been strongly linked. I guess the player will be keen to go to the premiership. May be a bit of an auction between Swansea and ourselves may need more than £3m[/quote]

He did cost Reading £2m., when he moved from Doncaster.

In the press that Swansea are in talks with him, so doubt this is true for us. I thought we were going for Da Laet?

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Alex"]Ashamed to say I''ve never heard of him. Where did you get this info, Canaryfan?[/quote]

Where have you been hiding for the past few months?

[/quote]

Plenty of Championship players I don''t recognise, at least by name, Webbo. I spend my time concentrating on NCFC and our players, would be the first to admit I do not have encyclopedic knowledge of players from other teams. I have heard of Robbie Savage though.