Sign in to follow this  
sonyc

goalkeeper?

Who thinks Lambert will make a bid for Fraser F? One of best up and coming keepers IMO. And if so would 3m secure him even assuming Newcastle would allow him? FF would be keen I''m sure. GKs seem to have lower price than outfield players nut his value will increase in the Prem.

Or, will we sign someone from lower leagues or on a free?

Maybe again he will stick with Declan.

We have good young keepers in Ruddy, Rudd and Steer, so if he does bring in another keeper I think it will be someone older who will provide back up/competition for Ruddy for the time being but not limit the chances of Rudd and Steer in the up coming years

I''m not wholly convinced by the school of thought that Lambert will sign an experienced gk ''as cover''. I think instead he may go for a keeper to provide real competition and with a point to prove. This group would include ff, lonergan, westwood and loach

[quote user="Liam"]"Maybe again he will stick with Declan."

Or how about John?[/quote]Liam, im pretty sure he meant stick with Declan as backup for Ruddy, not have him as first choice.  We all know Ruddy will be 1 of 2 first team keepers next season, its just who is going to be his competition, a young option to fight with him, an experienced player in his twighlight to cover for injuries, suspensions etc or risk Rudd and hope he can make the step up if needed.  Tough choice becuase we all know Rudd and Steer are talented, if we were to bring FF back we would have 4 young (by GK standards) Keepers with no chance of keeping them all happy.

Lambert may settle for john after a decent season in the championship, he is after all still a relatively young keeper who made some vital saves for us. Lambert may be interested in signing frasier but it''s whether he is willing to pay for him, Celtic won''t sell him easily.

I''ve said it before, you don''t want competition for first choice keeper, you want a clear hierarchy. How many clubs have no fixed number 1?

Ruddy to start, someone cheap and old (and good) to backup so Rudd and Steer can go out on loan.

Doubt it will be FF as Newcastle are playing the same game as last close season; our keepers have to play for the no. 1 shirt. Lambert won''t wait for another club to decide who they want; he will get who HE wants when HE wants them or go elsewhere.