Sign in to follow this  
 Badger

Reported Leon Osman bid

[quote user="Better Wizard"]Wes is much better then Osman. Im sorry to burst your bubble. But i have already said we wouldnt want OSman and Osman wouldnt want to come here. Put it to bed.[/quote]

Are you being serious or sarcastic?

I''ll believe you when it comes to your own players, as you have seen a lot more of them. But I do think you are overestimating the gap between the divisions, which has got much, much closer in the last couple of years. I mean Beckford is your top scorer and has done well, but he wouldn''t have made the Norwich team when we were in League 1, let alone now,

While I expect that we will be in the lower half of the table at the end of next season, it wouldn''t surprise me if we finished higher. We''re going to have a team with very little Premier experience, just like this season our team had little Championship experience. That didn''t stop us this year and there''s no obvious reason it shouldn''t next.

Osman is a decent player but not quite sure where he would play if the rumoured Bennett and Snodgrass signings happen. For that reason I hope that this is not true.

As for the little spat with the Evertonians I don''t think we will finish above Everton next season but I do think Everton are a team (similar to us) who are greater than the sum of its parts due to the manager. In both cases when that manager leaves it will be a real challenge for that club. Osman came from nowhere a few years ago and is probably the type of player who might not do anything if he moved to another club on big money but he is a decent prem player. i also think, however, that once a few of our players have had a bit more exposure next season several of them will be valued as highly as the like of Leon Osman.

Aside from that as a result of 1985 and Mr Ian Ross Everton is not a club I hold in high regard so the toffees can kindly go f**k themselves!

[quote user="Mahogany"]I''ll believe you when it comes to your own players, as you have seen a lot more of them. But I do think you are overestimating the gap between the divisions, which has got much, much closer in the last couple of years. I mean Beckford is your top scorer and has done well, but he wouldn''t have made the Norwich team when we were in League 1, let alone now, [/quote]Of course he would! 

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Significant transfer fee for a 30 year old who will be on high wages. None of this fits with the strategy that lambert is carrying out[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. I think he''s a decent player though.

Goodness - I only popped into the City for a couple of hours - I seem to have missed quite an argument!

For what it''s worth, I can''t see it happening - what wages would he be on to start with? And from what others more knowledgeable than myself seem to suggest we might not want him.

I can never understand why everybody raves so much about Moyes being a great manager. He has never done that much with Everton - they had one year when they qualified for the Champions League and that was a fiasco as they went out before the group stages. I am old enough to remember them as champions and being one of "the big 5" so this isn''t really that great.

I know that some clubs have had some big money poured into them, but Everton still have a pretty big ground with higher than average attendances. Given that Everton have been drawing premier League money continuously and are not having to catch up like sides like Sunderland and Newcastle, who get bigger crowds, their league performance seems about par. As far as I can see he has done a reasonable job - but nothing special.

I also think Smudger''s "Grant Holt... with fluffy hair" comment was excellent!

[quote user=" Badger"]Goodness - I only popped into the City for a couple of hours - I seem to have missed quite an argument!

For what it''s worth, I can''t see it happening - what wages would he be on to start with? And from what others more knowledgeable than myself seem to suggest we might not want him.

I can never understand why everybody raves so much about Moyes being a great manager. He has never done that much with Everton - they had one year when they qualified for the Champions League and that was a fiasco as they went out before the group stages. I am old enough to remember them as champions and being one of "the big 5" so this isn''t really that great.

I know that some clubs have had some big money poured into them, but Everton still have a pretty big ground with higher than average attendances. Given that Everton have been drawing premier League money continuously and are not having to catch up like sides like Sunderland and Newcastle, who get bigger crowds, their league performance seems about par. As far as I can see he has done a reasonable job - but nothing special.

I also think Smudger''s "Grant Holt... with fluffy hair" comment was excellent![/quote]haha I appear to have got that one wrong though, even though he has played more than a handful of games upfront for them.  Maybe a Andrew Crofts with hair would''ve been nearer the mark?  Although Croftsy will no doubt outscore him if playing a similar number of matches this season, so maybe he should warrant a starting place upfront now and again???It was never my intention to upset our fellow Evertonian''s, but come on £6 million plus for Osman?  More fool any team that would touch him with a bargepole for that kind of money.  I would prefer Snodgrass for less money, let alone McGugan.  I even think Bennett could potentially offer us more than Osman could at little over £1 million.Typical nonsense about how over-rated the majority of the Premiership is from the fans of a very ordinary side.  If any team thinks they will be picking up easy points off us this coming season then they are going to be in for a bit of a shock I reckon!

[quote user="ncfcfan"]Oh dear...Anybody who actually think Osman wouldn''t get in our team is clueless.[/quote]You are not reading what people are actually saying.  You didn''t go to school in Liverpool did you??? [:^)]He would most probably get in our first 11 as things stand, but let''s not forget that we have lost Lansbury and Pacheco on loan and will probably be making at least 3 signings who are better than what we have already got here before we kick off in August.On the basis of what is available out there, I would say that you are one of the clueless ones if you would agree with some Evertonians and say that Osman is worth £6 million plus.

[quote user="Time For Heroes"]Smudger, you don''t think we should go in for Mcgugan do you?[/quote]What ever makes you think that??? [:|]

Mrs Muggins you live up to your name. I am not being sarcastic.

[quote user="Smudger"]It was never my intention to upset our fellow Evertonian''s, but come on £6 million plus for Osman? ...............Typical nonsense about how over-rated the majority of the Premiership is from the fans of a very ordinary side.  If any team thinks they will be picking up easy points off us this coming season then they are going to be in for a bit of a shock I reckon![/quote]I''ll be very surprised if next season turns out to be the '' walk in the park '' you think it will be for NCFC, Smudger. So called '' ordinary '' teams like Wigan, Bolton and Blackburn seem to do enough year-in year-out to be a fixture in the Premier League. It''s fairly certain the really top teams are likely to turn us over but it''s against other teams like the ones I''ve just mentioned where I reckon it''s us who''ll be in for a bit of a shock. That said I do think we may have a little - but not much - to spare in avoiding relegation come 2012.You say the Everton are very ordinary but I''ll be amazed if we finish above them next term. They haven''t been in the top flight continuously since 1954 for nothing.........

If we finish in the top 8 next season, Lambert will be able to get whatever job he fancies. Clubs will literally be tripping over themselves to get him.

Personally, if we finish between 10th-14th, I think we will have had an astounding season.

As for Osman - He won''t come here even if Moyes accepted a bid. If by some strange turn of events he does join us, he would walk into our starting eleven. If he signed tomorrow, he would have more Premier League experience than our whole squad put together. Ultimately that''s what we are going to need for us to have a comfortable season.

I think you''re right ''....aSms''; people who think we are going to find it easy going are rather deluding themselves. That said, I think sides will be in for a shock if they think we are going to be easy pickings. There is certainly a gap between the Champs and the Premier league, the £40m guaranteed tv revenue each season has seen to that....to survive, we need to compete with (or better) sides with far more resources than we have. But if we can keep the ethos/team spirit that we''ve had over the last 2 years (a spirit that Worthy had and somehow managed to lose), anything is possible.

With regard to the spat with Everton, they are one of only a few sides I really dislike: if there was ever a side with an overblown opinion of themselves to equal that of Leeds it is them. And adding 1985 and Ian Ross into the mix over the years hasn''t made it any better.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Smudger"]It was never my intention to upset our fellow Evertonian''s, but come on £6 million plus for Osman? ...............Typical nonsense about how over-rated the majority of the Premiership is from the fans of a very ordinary side.  If any team thinks they will be picking up easy points off us this coming season then they are going to be in for a bit of a shock I reckon![/quote]I''ll be very surprised if next season turns out to be the '' walk in the park '' you think it will be for NCFC, Smudger. So called '' ordinary '' teams like Wigan, Bolton and Blackburn seem to do enough year-in year-out to be a fixture in the Premier League. It''s fairly certain the really top teams are likely to turn us over but it''s against other teams like the ones I''ve just mentioned where I reckon it''s us who''ll be in for a bit of a shock. That said I do think we may have a little - but not much - to spare in avoiding relegation come 2012.You say the Everton are very ordinary but I''ll be amazed if we finish above them next term. They haven''t been in the top flight continuously since 1954 for nothing.........[/quote]They have been extremely lucky to survive on several occasions though Graham.  Even surviving by the skin of their teeth on the very last day on a few occasions.Who know''s, next season could be the one where they finally find themselves in a battle that they can''t escape from.  There really isn''t much difference between them and the likes of Wolves, Wigan, Blackburn, Stoke, West Brom, Newcastle etcVilla had an awful season this one just gone and flirted with relegation themselves for a while.  They only finished 6 points behind Everton come the end of the season.  Another shock in store this coming season, will be for Arsenal I think, who have a battle on their hands to finish in the top four.  I can''t see them doing it!This time last season, those like me who were saying that we would finish in the play-offs were told by the majority that was ambitious and that the top ten would be a fantastic season.  We were in the top six pretty much all season however and as the season went on it was obvious to see that if we really went for it we could push on even further and achieve automatic promotion.This time last year most people thought that the Championship was too much of a step up for us to have an iummediate impact there... look at how that turned out.  I am confident that we will challenge all but the best that the Prem has to offer all season long!

Scousers: Baines is by no means average, he is indeed one of the best full backs in the league, he did wonders for me in last years fantasy football, and I''d love to have him here, if we had 10m+ to spend on him. Fellani is a decent player, but his disciplanary record is terrible. Osman is alright, and I wouldn''t mind him as a squad player, but half our midfield will be worth more than 3.5m after next season. And I still hate Beckford.

I think the Evertonians comments are indicative of many Premiership fans that have seen decent average football for many years and believe they have some kind of authority to comment from their perceived perch. A condition referred to as Psychosclerosis which is ‘a hardening of the attitudes!’ They’ve been there so long, thinking the same way, doing the same old things; they struggle to adopt any new views. They’re passionate tunnel-vision fans of their own club, so fair play to them. It’s nothing a season in the Championship followed by dip into League One wouldn’t cure!

Here in Yellow-land Smudger is optimistic about the season ahead. So is Paul Lambert, David McNally and most of the NCFC board – and so am I! It will be a great achievement to hit 15th place or better next season – whether Everton or any other team are above or below us, I really couldn’t care less personally. You see, certain people (especially like the ones I’ve just mentioned) focus on things that actually matter - like getting winning results. Exchanges with opposition fans on on-line forums mean little to nothing. Winning on the field of play is everything, and these days whilst we at Norwich may respect the opposition, we’re certainly not in awe of them. That is likely to be apparent to a whole new audience once 10 to 15 games have been played.

At Everton that Fellaini chap may be useful. I don’t actively bother to watch him, so I’m not qualified to comment. However, based on the choices he makes it’s clear he isn’t particularly well advised. Look at his hairstyle for a start. Get a bit of white-line paint on that during a game and Grant Holt cannot be held responsible. He’ll kick anything goal-bound that looks remotely spherical won’t he?

Without overly ‘bigging us up’ I genuinely think Norwich will surprise a few people in the coming season – and assuming we do as well as many of us think, we can hardly expect the followers of the 17 teams who managed to remain in the Premiership last season to enjoy watching us do it can we?

OTBC

1985 I will never forget (or forgive).

Ian Ross - could someone enlighten me?

[quote user=" Badger"]1985 I will never forget (or forgive).

Ian Ross - could someone enlighten me?[/quote]

From what I remember we played Everton at Goodison Park in a cup match (lost 3-1?) - And the travelling support were accused by Mr Ross of racist chanting...

Thanks - I remember the incident - not the name.

Two penalties against Roberts wasn''t it?

The accusation was that Norwich Fans were chanting "You black b@stard" at Yobo where in fact we were calling Wayne Rooney a "fat b@stard".

[quote user=" Badger"]Thanks - I remember the incident - not the name.

Two penalties against Roberts wasn''t it?[/quote]

I think so mate. I can''t remember if Mr Ross ever apologised for his incorrect claims. And I agree with Chris, I would trust the Everton fans judgement on their own players that they watch week in week out. Can we beat teams such as Everton? With respect to the Toffees, why not? - Reading beat them at Goodison Park in the FA Cup a couple of months back. I think we''ll do just fine next season.

At the end of the say Osman''s value to Everton is a lot more

than his value to Norwich (as well as most other teams for that matter)

For Everton he is a hugely experienced player in the top flight, really good

squad player, good attitude, has been at the club for 10 years and reflects the

clubs ethos.

For Norwich he would add some valuable prem experience and may or may not

improve the team/fit in effectively to Norwich''s style of play.

Taking in consideration his age and the risk of a new player becoming a success

in a new team, clubs may rightly or wrongly value Osman at £3-6mil. For Everton

however (at least to me as an Everton fan) he would be worth more because of

his importance to our team and the role he plays in our club on and of the

pitch.

For example, take the Lescott situation, was Lescott worth £24mil?? £7million

more than Dani Alvez? Obviously not. However on the back of a 5th spot finish

and an FA Cup final, going into the season with only 2 fit centre back’s

(Lescott being one of them) his intangible value to Everton was huge, resulting

in a hugely inflated transfer fee.

Therefore it could be suggested that the value of Osman to Everton is more then

what could be realistically expected of Norwich (or most other clubs) to pay

out. In conclusion I think Norwich could get better value for their money elsewhere

and that’s in no way a discredit to Osman as a player, if anything it’s a

compliment to how highly he is held amongst Evertonians and club alike.

P.S. I have family in Norwich and have been there many

times,  I didn''t see anyone with webbed

hands and I’m sure when you come to Goodison you’ll leave with your hub caps intact.

Good look with the next season, and I hope Vaughny manages to full-fill his

potential (just not when he plays against us!)

DaveM, would be interested on your (or any other visiting Toffees) views on Vaughan. Couple of Evertonians I''ve spoken to in the last week reckon if he stays fit, he could go on to become a top player - Agree/disagree?

[quote user="Smudger"]This time last year most people thought that the Championship was too much of a step up for us to have an iummediate impact there... look at how that turned out.  I am confident that we will challenge all but the best that the Prem has to offer all season long![/quote]Bit worrying, that.  I hope you''re not going to return to "Sack the Board"/"sack the manager" mode when we spend most of the season in sixteenth place, which is roughly where most of us believe we''ll be.