Sign in to follow this  
Surfbird

Is Lambert the new Clough?

Is the McNally - Lambert team the new Clough - Taylor?   Can Norwich City be the new Nottingham Forest?

Just spent the morning and early afternoon revising, now I''m watching ''the Damned united'' on iplayer.

Clougie was a genius [Y] although he took Derby from the 2nd division to the top of the 1st division so Lambert''s achievement will be bigger [;)]

I doubt he''ll will turn into an alcholic punching people and assulting photographers but i''ve been wrong before. The only similarity the two have is they are winners. Clough was a big headed arrogant insane genious. Lambert is rather unassuming and gives credit to everyone else other than himself 

I was going to post this a while ago, but decided it''s the sort of thing you really need to write a book about!The answer is both yes. And no. (Surprise surprise).Both have taken underrated players from all over the place & turned them into teams far more than the sum of their parts They have (had) different approaches though; Clough tended to go for past it pros (McKay), complete unknowns (Birtles) or washed-up has beens. Robertson. I''ll never forget the first time I caught sight of John Robertson. I thought a fat drunk had wandered onto the pitch. Then somebody passed him the ball, his legs grew about six inches & he was gone, weaving past defenders like they weren''t there. Astonishing.Lambert, as we all know, likes ''em young, keen & desperate to succeed. Attitude is as important to him as ability.The way they get performances from their players is completely different however. Cloughie said (nasal whine) "I am your God, follow me & do exactly as I say & untold riches shall be yours"Lambert tells them they''re great players, have the potential to be even greater players, but they are useless by themselves. It''s the team that counts. And when they''re putting themselves about the pitch, making decoy runs, tracking back, doing things for the team that the fans & critics don''t see, he''ll see it, he''ll be silently applauding them. And that''s the way they''ll win. As a team.So .. the end result may be the same, but the approach isn''t. Whatever, they are two of the best managers I have seen, producing winning, exciting football out of few resources. And that''s the best football there is!OTBC!

I was also going to post something similar after watching all the Clough programmes on tv last night. Lambert has done a very similar thing, the question is will Lambert take over at Man U when fergie retires?

Haha, CT, I''ve been doing the same, gonna watch the film tonight

fantastic story and achievement, but an equally good film. Michael Sheen plays Clough so brilliantly!

Clough and Taylor had a diffirent approach to signing players. As Ron reported above Lambert prefers hungry players, not necessarly young but those who wish to prove themselves. Clough''s favoured approach was to take damaged players and turn them good. Reportedly, the first question Clough and Taylor asked any players they signed was what their weakness was, Drugs, booze, women or cards they would find out and then fix their problems. It''s why they Clough signed so many good players on the cheap.The role of Peter Taylor cannot be understated either, one if the things the ''Damned United'' highlighted brilliantly was how dependent they were on each other. Peter was Clough''s scout and handled all the details Clough wouldn''t, or couldn''t, handle. Wether Lambert has his own Peter Taylor is not known but Mcnally is not Peter Taylor (although he is a damned good Cheif Executive!)Clough and Lambert are inherintly different, Clough was a tortured genius who ballsed up his life, I have the greatest respect for him but he is not a role model. Lambert seems to be the model professional, he keeps his personal life to himself (as much as you can in this world nowadays) and seems strictly professional. What it comes down to is this, whilst they were/are very succesful coaches they were/are their own man and Lambert needs no comparison.

I don''t think any board of directors would tolerate a maverick like Clough these days, brilliant though he was. I seem to remember Forest were the only club where he didn''t eventually fall out with the bosses, and even there it was a close run thing at times! I suspect Peter Taylor had a hand in smoothing over relationships between them on more than one occasion. 

Also this is pretty essential reading for anyone who''s seen the Damned United,

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/football-sport/the-damned-facts-for-leeds-united-fans/[link]

There are more than a couple of historical inaccuracies in the film that should be taken into account when using it as the basis for any opinions. Not denying that it''s a great piece of drama but it plays fast and loose with the truth to a surprising degree.

[quote user="Simon Lappin King Of Spain"]seems more likely that Gary Karsa is his Peter Taylor, not McNally[/quote]How has Ian Culverhouse, his actual assistant manager and role equivalent to Taylor, managed to evade the acknowledgement of everyone?

Funny this should be mentioned, as I think Lambert''s first week with the club back in August 2009 went something like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8VZ0dP0ddM

[quote user="John"][quote user="Simon Lappin King Of Spain"]seems more likely that Gary Karsa is his Peter Taylor, not McNally[/quote]How has Ian Culverhouse, his actual assistant manager and role equivalent to Taylor, managed to evade the acknowledgement of everyone?[/quote]

Not evaded my notice, but Karsa appears to fulfill the director of football style role that Taylor did. It is however an entirely uninformed opinion as none of us really know if Lambert scouts the players himself, allows Karsa and/or Culverhouse to do it or a combination of the two.

Brian Clough''s Assistant Manager was Peter Taylor. Paul Lambert''s Assistant is Ian Culverhouse. Gary Karsa has another function; Football Operations Manager. I figured that was an upmarket term for the Kit-man, but maybe I''m wrong!

Should Lambert & Culverhouse ever emulate Clough & Taylor by winning the Premier League or Champions League with a provincial team they will rightly go down in English Football history. Winning either one of those prestigious prizes is tougher than ever these days though... 

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

Brian Clough''s Assistant Manager was Peter Taylor. Paul Lambert''s Assistant is Ian Culverhouse. Gary Karsa has another function; Football Operations Manager. I figured that was an upmarket term for the Kit-man, but maybe I''m wrong!

Should Lambert & Culverhouse ever emulate Clough & Taylor by winning the Premier League or Champions League with a provincial team they will rightly go down in English Football history. Winning either one of those prestigious prizes is tougher than ever these days though... 

[/quote]According to Watford FC''s official website a Football Operations manager is someone who ensures the ''smooth running of the Football

Department and its administration on a day-to-day basis, co-ordinating

all football-related activities undertaken by (the) Football Club''.