Sign in to follow this  
Dave

If next season doesnt go to well - let the fans and the board have the sense

Let the fans have the sense not to call for the manager to be sacked

Let the board have the sense not to sack him.

We have had 2 successive promotions and that isnt going to be that easy especially as we are premier league, we dont have pots of cash unlike some others and we are going to be playing against some of the worlds best.

Peterborough sacked their manager after struggling after 2 successive promotions and then they had to go crawling back, i know its not quite the same but its a good example, if we went down and spent a few years as a yoyo club it wouldnt be great but at least it would boost the clubs bank balance.

I dont expect miracles next season and if we lose as long s the players give 100% then i wont mind

"I dont expect miracles next season and if we lose as long s the players give 100% then i wont mind".I think this is what it boils down to.  As long as the fans feel that the players are giving it everything, no-one will mind.  Everybody off the pitch certainly seems to be pulling their weight too. 

[quote user="mrs miggins"]I thought Fergie Jr resigned to go to Preston?[/quote]

No he was sacked

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/peterborough_united/8351399.stm

[quote user="Dave"]Let the fans have the sense not to call for the manager to be sacked Let the board have the sense not to sack him. We have had 2 successive promotions and that isnt going to be that easy especially as we are premier league, we dont have pots of cash unlike some others and we are going to be playing against some of the worlds best. Peterborough sacked their manager after struggling after 2 successive promotions and then they had to go crawling back, i know its not quite the same but its a good example, if we went down and spent a few years as a yoyo club it wouldnt be great but at least it would boost the clubs bank balance. I dont expect miracles next season and if we lose as long s the players give 100% then i wont mind[/quote]

Top post Dave. [Y]

As much as we would like to think that the peasants would not revolt I''m afraid to say that there will be a number who will if things go badly.

That''s football.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Dave"]Let the fans have the sense not to call for the manager to be sacked Let the board have the sense not to sack him. We have had 2 successive promotions and that isnt going to be that easy especially as we are premier league, we dont have pots of cash unlike some others and we are going to be playing against some of the worlds best. Peterborough sacked their manager after struggling after 2 successive promotions and then they had to go crawling back, i know its not quite the same but its a good example, if we went down and spent a few years as a yoyo club it wouldnt be great but at least it would boost the clubs bank balance. I dont expect miracles next season and if we lose as long s the players give 100% then i wont mind[/quote]

Top post Dave. [Y]

[/quote]

So you will bite your tongue if we crash?

[quote user="First Wizard"]

Top post Dave. [Y]

[/quote]

Top post? - Why?

Talk about low expectations before we even begin! Thank goodness PL, McNally and the players don''t think remotely like that!

Last year some people were on this forum muttering similar uninspiring stuff ahead of our campaign in the Championship. Those comments turned out to be so off-the-mark it was embarrassing. Given we were automatically promoted what additional proof is needed? Our current leadership team are focussed on success - as opposed to dilly-dallying around fearing failure!

You get out of life what you expect.

Before I continue this post I should probably point out that I think Paul Lambert has the potential to become our greatest ever manager. What he has done for this club in the past couple of years (backed magnificently by backroom staff, board and players) is nothing short of a miracle. He has enough credit in the bank for me to never criticise any signing he makes before I have had the chance to see them in action for our team. However......

.....posts like these are a direct result of the ''In Lambert We Trust'' mantra spouted by so many whereby even the mildest criticism of a decision by PL sees the guilty party branded as a heretic. It''s not healthy in my view and it almost borders on the cultish. The problem with building somebody up to be the messiah (and this applies to players as well as managers) is that when things go wrong you find it hard to change your opinion for fear of looking foolish. So you dig your heels in, refuse to accept there is a problem and ''Keep The Faith''.

But what if come December we''re rooted to the bottom of the table* playing terrible football. The new signings haven''t hit it off and there are rumblings that the players are not happy with the tactics. There will be a period next season when we struggle badly and can''t buy a win and until we get there we won''t know whether PL will be capable of finding the solution to our problems**. If he can''t then should it still be a case of ''In Lambert We Trust''? After all as the man himself has said today “It’s a level playing field for everybody, what happened in League One has gone. What happened in the Championship has gone."

* I don''t think we will be.

** The evidence from the last couple of seasons suggests that this should not cause a problem. PL seems very astute at making very slight tactical adjustments when needed. I suspect it''s down to him playing and taking his coaching badges in Germany but that''s a different argument.

[quote user="blahblahblahwizard"]"I dont expect miracles next season and if we lose as long s the players give 100% then i wont mind".

I think this is what it boils down to.  As long as the fans feel that the players are giving it everything, no-one will mind.  Everybody off the pitch certainly seems to be pulling their weight too. 
[/quote]

Agreed

spot on Shack Attack

i''m sure part of the atmosphere on here is caused by anxiety for next season to start - i know i can''t wait and it already feels like ages since i was last at Carrow Road. not wanting to wish life away but bring on August!

Fortunately, all the signs point to PL doing well for us in the future...

However, Nigel Worthington did a tremendous job for us, getting us to a play off final, then winning the Championship and getting us to the Premier League. He could do no wrong up to that point with NCFC fans (apart from playing Clint Easton, but then he did get booed everytime he was on the ball, which I found embarrassing behaviour towards one of our own). Anyway, fast forward a few years and a lot of people only remember Nigel for relegation and the subsequent season. For that reason, I can see exactly where the OP''s coming from... Most City fans are great eggs, as is demonstrated on here, but unfortunately when the chips are down, it doesn''t take long for a few to rip every bit of confidence out of a team trying to turn things around. I hope it never goes back to those days.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"][quote user="First Wizard"]

Top post Dave. [Y]

[/quote]

So you will bite your tongue if we crash?

[/quote]

Of course I will, although I suspect you won''t. [:|]

My view is that, whatever happens, Lambert has earned at least a full season in the Premier League. I don''t think we will go back down, but even if we did, as long as we went down fighting, I think PL would be the best man to bring us back up again. After all, he has been there before, hasn''t he?

its already been decided by McNally and the board that relegation next season would be part of the plan, so if the worst were to happen next season theres no question of Lambert being sacked.

yo yo''ing is part of the 7 yr plan and almost expected so anything more next season will be a bonus.

Lets Be realistic, we are probably going to lose more than we win next season although I think we can survive. We''ll have a to fight tooth and nail for every point and at times it won''t be pretty!

Like the the theme of this thread says, lets be realistic and think of where we''ve come from!