Sign in to follow this  
nicho

Lower League goal scorers

All this talk about Cody scoring goals in league 2 for fun and whether he can play at a higher level begs the question what do you have to do to show that you are capable of playing in Championship/prem. holt scored 20 in league 1 and in championship. Then again CMS scored well over 20 goals in league 1 and less than half that in the championship last tie around. Is there a defining factor to whether a player is suited to play in the above leagues or not or is it mostly down to the team they''re playing in and the manager

I think the team makes a huge difference - it has to make the most of your abilities. I don''t think the quality of supply was particularly helpful to Cody, although Bayo did provide some class assists. He made a lot of not very much for most of his goals, so I thought he was pretty impressive.Whether he could reproduce this at a higher level is problematic, but I suspect he has improved to at least regular Champs. level since he left. Don''t forget he has only recently started playing League football of any description. There was real quality in some of his goals.When he was here Holt & Martin were combining superbly, so he was never going to get much of a look in.For me, I hope his contract is extended & he goes on loan to, say, Peterborough, or somesuch club.

Each player needs his chance to play and progress. Some (like Holt) are sourced from lower leagues to fill a vacant position in a needy team – others progress within their own Academy, Youth & Senior teams. It still comes down to impressing someone who will give you the chance to play.

Go back two years - and our need for an affordable goalscorer - and we may well have opted for a player like Cody. Times have moved on at such a pace here at Norwich that a player who is scoring for fun out on loan in League Two may find it hard to get that chance. There’s not even a proper reserve league to play in now.

Looks like Cody may need to find his chance somewhere else. I for one would be disappointed – but to be fair to him, he’s done nothing wrong has he? Quite the opposite – freely scoring goals as per his job description! I bet he just wants to play somewhere - not sit on a bench watching others doing the job he loves. Cody came to the game late and he is industrious - of course he wants some proper action. Why should we deny him that?

Should he depart, whoever gets him will be delighted. I’ve no doubt about that.

I think Macdonald would of done more than what Jackson did pre March, would of got loads of goals for freescoring Peterborough like CMS did and would of also scored 20 + goals for us during the League 1 winning campaign hadf he played regularly!

So yes playing in a decent team does make a difference!

The team is massive but you also have the things Lambert looks for in any player, the hunger and determination.

For me, with Cody, people have been saying about the gap, and that he is getting older and can''t be regarded as a youngster anymore. This is true but like you say about Holt, his best years have come late on his career. If people are honest not many had heard of him until around 2 years ago when he signed for us - apart from supporters of the League Two clubs he was banging them in for fun against week in, week out.

That''s why i think Cody might be worth another season or two. Loan him out this coming season - let him have another to prove it wasn''t a fluke or lucky season - to a League One/Championship side where he can be near guaranteed a starting place each week. If he does it again then he may be worth giving a shot in the first team. He could end up just being a very late bloomer like Holty.

I''m a fan of Cody and i''d be disappointed to see him leave but if Lambert doesn''t feel he''s up for it then i''ll trust him all the same.