Sign in to follow this  
militantcanary

Sorry, uninspired and unimaginative

Give them a chance mate. Yes i think we need some premiership experience, but theres months to go asyet.Theres plenty of players in the championship who could cut it in the premiership IMO

In all honesty I have my doubts about the 2 strikers we''ve signed. They don''t look terribly exciting signings but do have potential. But I trust Lambert and they could turn out to be inspired signings. The addition of Bennett and Snodgrass would start to look very exciting.
What I do like about what we are doing so far is that we appear to be snapping up some top Championship players before anybody else gets a look in. Players of this quality will give us a shot at surviving but also leave us in good stead should we be relegated. I would far prefer that approach than buying Premiership reserve players who would likely cost the same or more and are not good enough to get into their current team. Buying any established first choice Premiership players would simply be out of our budget if we are going to spend a total of Â£15-£20m this summer (we are not going to spend £40m as half of that will go on wages). Also, any Premiership superstars would be certain to leave us if relegated or at best leave us with an unaffordable wage bill.
I''ve seen us spend too many summers doing nothing ''because everybody is on holiday'' whilst other teams snap up all the best players available, only for us then to be left with the players who nobody else wanted. So even though we have not signed any superstars, we have signed players with potential and are being linked with some who could be potential Huckerby type players. How can anybody complain about that? Just watch in a few weeks time the type of players being signed by those who have left it late.

It does make me smile that we`re going into the Prem with a squad largely signed for little from small clubs, many of whom i`m sure most are not too concerned about after their performances last season, yet signing some of the stand-out players in the Champs is not good enough.... IMO there is little difference between the top 6 of the Champs and the bottom 6 of the Prem- just take a look at Blackpools team who almost stayed up and ask yourself how many of their players would walk into our team? I would like to see us sign some more "technical" type players such as Vaughan from Blackpool, but it wouldn`t surprise me if PL is after players of that ilk as we speak.

"Wonder if the OP condisers we should be

following QPR''s lead and maybe going after the likes of
Jermaine Jenas, Robbie Keane, Matthew Upson or

even
Harry Kewell, Lucas Neill or Marco Materazzi?"
Mathew Upson --> Yes please, I imagine wages would be an issue however [:(]

Oh bore off! Last year you lot were whining about the likes of Fox and Crofts coming in, and look what happened.

In Lambert we trust, let the man do the job we know he''s absolutely capable of.

I can''t proclaim any expertise, but it does seem that several other premiership clubs were/ are interested in Johnson, including West Brom and Sunderland.

If two teams that are both "mid ranking and upwards looking" thought that he was a useful addition, he can''t be a bad signing for us. Roy Hodgson, has a pretty good record of spotting players at this sort of level.

Were building a premier league squad, and all of the signed/signing players deserve a crack in the big time.

Another club would have only signed them and taken the risk anyway.

Besides, the likes of reo coker and upson would think they are far bigger than the club.

Onwards and upwards, well done lambert

[quote user="jamesg"]I have held my fire on our summer signings but the signing of Bradley Johnson is the last straw for me, whenever i have seen him he has misplaced passes and shots, and his tackling is not that great either. This is the 4th signing a top half Championship side would be happy with, not a team trying to establish in the Premership. If this is the best our Chief Scout can do then Chelsea can have him quite honestly. Can we not widen our ambit away from players in Championship? Surely we should be looking at players with some Prem experience?? Or a decent Bosman from abroad? Reo Coker, Cohen and Wendt all surely better purchases. Again we are improving squad depth but not the team, I am now worried[/quote]

I would admit that Bradley Johnson would not be top of my list but Lambert obviously sees something in him that he thinks will be useful to us and he is on a free. Other than that as others have said ILWT. Yes we are not buying any (current) superstars but Lambert has a clear transfer policy which is to buy hungry, british players for whom a move to us is a big opportunity to make their name in the top flight. all of the signings so far fit that mould and I suspect that most of the rest will as well. I think though that he will also try and bring in a couple of players with experience to give us a bit of knowhow, probably in defensive areas.

Bennett is, I think, an exciting signing and one who will serve us well in the future whichever league we are in.

Morison and Vaughan will be well up for it and you can rest assured our front 2 (whoever they may be) will be a right nuisance to defenders next season.

I suspect there are still another 5 or 6 to come and at least a couple of them will be bigger money signings who might excite you as bit more!

[quote user=" Badger"]Apparently the collective noun for a group of badgers is a cete![/quote]

Or a clan I believe. Apologies - I didn''t realise another Badger resided in these parts, I''ll change it shortly!

Congratulations, stupidest post of the year.

One analogy needed. Andrew Crofts, bought from League 1, awesome in the Championship.

Seriously why bother expressing an opinion that butts heads directly with Lamberts thoughts?

I know whose opinion I agree with.

I think you need to let the whole off season play out before you start to question the squad PL is putting together. I think there will be plenty more twists and turns and some quality additions by the time August rolls around. You only have to look at players like Fox, Crofts and Russell Martin to see what Lambert can do with players from lower leagues......I actually had Martin down as my player of the season.....not bad for a player who was a bench warmer in a lower league. When you look at the three players we have brought in (this is including Johnson) they are all young and hungry for the game.......I think what they lack in skill they make up for in passion and drive. Theres a long way to go yet so start thinking positively!

[quote user="jamesg"]I have held my fire on our summer signings but the signing of Bradley Johnson is the last straw for me, whenever i have seen him he has misplaced passes and shots, and his tackling is not that great either. This is the 4th signing a top half Championship side would be happy with, not a team trying to establish in the Premership.

If this is the best our Chief Scout can do then Chelsea can have him quite honestly. Can we not widen our ambit away from players in Championship?

Surely we should be looking at players with some Prem experience?? Or a decent Bosman from abroad? Reo Coker, Cohen and Wendt all surely better purchases.

Again we are improving squad depth but not the team, I am now worried[/quote]when you personally fund the signing of Iniesta then we might care what you say....

Yours is exactly the sort of attitude that will motivate the players. They will be busting a gut to proove you wrong (and others who have written them off without giving them a chance).

The last thing we need is highly paid premiership failures like Reo Coker who wont give a damn if we stay up or not as they will just jump ship to the next club mug enough to take them on.

As long as the team between them can stick the ball in the opposition net & keep the ball out of our net thats all that matters.No one big name signing would be bigger than a team commited to work together such as we are lucky to have.If we can do well in the Premier league this coming season then all of our players will become big names in their own right.I''m with most other people, if Paul Lambert can see potential in a player, whoever it is, the least we can do as fans is get behind them to give them the confidence they will need in the Premier league & trust his judgement.

Is this Jamesg for real ?What a monger......

"bring back Raul Fax Neal ""No I dint see tha gayme, but i druve past Carraw Rudd last week Neal"

Firstly, you are slating players who have not kicked a ball for Norwich yet, slating lambert on his transfer policy, I.e who he is going to buy. Look we arent one of the best teams in the PL. We cannot go and spend 10 million on one player and risk the fact of us being relegated, we haven''t got loads of money to spend. The plan is to stabilise the club, remember the 7 year plan, we are on the third year, this coming year, not bad for supposed league 1 players getting promotion from the championship. Despite all the opinions being cast on the players that are signing, they will all have a chance to play for Norwich and as long as they show passion and commitment, then I''m happy. Who knows, we might have the next Charlie Adam amongst our ranks? In lambert we trust.

I just mentioned to a Leeds fan in the office that we''re supposed to be signing Johnson. He''s gutted. Good enough for me.

The headline sums up your original post in four lovely words!!

Along the same lines as someone else has mentioned, I know a couple of Leeds fans at work and they think Johnson is an excellent signing for us especially on a free, and they are almost suicidal at the idea of us possibly signing Snodgrass as well!

i think people have missed the point, I am not objecting to 2 or 3 of the 7 signings being from the Championship but the whole lot.

Surely a good set of signings would be a couple who have played in PL for a couple of years, Gabbidon, Cohen perhaps

A couple of fringe PL players with a big future Pacheco, Naughton, Lansbury, Boyota etc etc

And a couple from abroad.

That would give a good mix, I am concerned we will get a team with no Prem League experience, and with a good team spirit but lacking in quality.

I have made a slightly provocative post, but the blinkers are seriously on with some people. Lambert is a much better Manager than Worthington but the response from many posters sounds like the Keep the Faith Mantra from his era

Could i just ask people''s reaction if another of our recent Managers or had got promoted and bought some of the 4 we have got so far?

I have the utmost respect for Paul Lambert but I am concerned he is following what could be described as a dogmatic approach, ie buying players to fit into a strategy of "hungry players" rather than on an player by player basis ie if if the right player is available then get him, from England or Europe.

I am also entitled to my opinion which is not exactly off the wall, so would consider a balanced response to be appropriate, I am not having a go at the above but some of the schoolyard namecalling from others

Well I''m not worried. I think this is the perfect strategy. So far we have signed strikers and they add to what we already have. I know it is a tough league but I honestly don''t think we will struggle for goals with who we have brought in and what we had already.

I think Labert may well be saving a ''bigger'' name or two for the defence which we do need to strengthen. Got a feeling a top central defender will come in. They are alot cheaper than a top striker. But the problem for us is even if we did have the money it is difficult to tempt first team regulars to a side that are from the outside expected to go down. And fringe premiership players are often not good enough for the top level anyway - ref Gary Doherty and Simon Charlton.The strategy is perfect, some might not make it. But more will.

I was also glad that Lambert basically ruled out going for players in the Scottish Prem. The Championship is a far better league.

It''s not blind faith I''m advocating. But his track record suggests you need to give it a couple of months into the season before criticising.

[quote user="jamesg"]i think people have missed the point, I am not objecting to 2 or 3 of the 7 signings being from the Championship but the whole lot. Surely a good set of signings would be a couple who have played in PL for a couple of years, Gabbidon, Cohen perhaps A couple of fringe PL players with a big future Pacheco, Naughton, Lansbury, Boyota etc etc And a couple from abroad. That would give a good mix, I am concerned we will get a team with no Prem League experience, and with a good team spirit but lacking in quality. I have made a slightly provocative post, but the blinkers are seriously on with some people. Lambert is a much better Manager than Worthington but the response from many posters sounds like the Keep the Faith Mantra from his era Could i just ask people''s reaction if another of our recent Managers or had got promoted and bought some of the 4 we have got so far? I have the utmost respect for Paul Lambert but I am concerned he is following what could be described as a dogmatic approach, ie buying players to fit into a strategy of "hungry players" rather than on an player by player basis ie if if the right player is available then get him, from England or Europe. I am also entitled to my opinion which is not exactly off the wall, so would consider a balanced response to be appropriate, I am not having a go at the above but some of the schoolyard namecalling from others[/quote]

The point that you have missed though is that we have only signed 2 players so far. yes we will probably also sign Bennett and Johnson if reports are to be believed but thats still only 4 players. Despite lambert''s oft quoted "about 7" line I actually think we will end up signing 9 or 10 players this summer (when you look at who is likely to leave and where the gaps are in the squad) so there is still plenty of time for a couple of more experienced players to be signed. I don''t however think we will be signing any/many from abroad. Not Lambert''s style.

I''m clinging on to ''In Lambert we trust'' because none of these signings seem to be great, yes Lambert has signed average players and made them quality but surely we can do better than players that haven''t set the Championship alight or players that haven''t even played in the Championship. I''m happy to wait and see i trust Lambert.

He`s entitled to his opinion, someone was always going to come up with the points he made, far to early imo to start pontificating like this though.

For me we have made excellent signings so far, I do think we need one or two players who have premiership experience, probably defenders, but so far so good, well done Lambert!

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]He`s entitled to his opinion, someone was always going to come up with the points he made, far to early imo to start pontificating like this though. For me we have made excellent signings so far, I do think we need one or two players who have premiership experience, probably defenders, but so far so good, well done Lambert![/quote]

Of course he is , even if it''s wrong. What gets me is the arrogance of people who seem to give the impression that they know more about it than a Manager who has achieved successive promotions, played countless times for his country and won the Champions League.