Sign in to follow this  
militantcanary

Sorry, uninspired and unimaginative

I may be wrong, i may be right but your opinion expressed in these terms of personal abuse is a bit pathetic

We are all entitled to comment and Lambert is a top football Manager but is not a deity. I am just saying that buying a team with no experience of the top division is a most risky strategy. Does 47 appearances including subs count as experience, of course not.

Perhaps i am being unfair lumping Vaughan in as a Championship signing, but he did appear 30 times as a Crystal Palace player.

Morrison, Vaughan, Bennett, Johnson are all our players or will by the end of the week and all played in Championship or League 1 last season. Snodgrass is a confirmed target (ditto)

Wendt is a swedish left back from FC Copenhagen available for nothing, just an idea

What''s rather ironic about half of the responses on this thread are that they probably come from people who say that Cody will never be any better than a League Two or League One striker at very best.  Yet they argue with such ferosity that our other players who are/were League One/Championship players will make the step up to the Premier League.

So a player can make the step up when it suits and can''t make the step up when it doesn''t, absolute funking joke.  Engage the brain before posting FFS.

The only thing I agree with is that we dont have enough premiership experience..but then again.... we didnt have much championship experience and look what happened there [;)]

[quote user="jamesg"]

So, if the manager of the club, who has taken this club from bottom of League 1 (well would have been bottom if Saints didn''t start on -10) straight into the Premiership - not via the play-offs - says in >his opinion that these players will do fine for us, then, with all due respects to jamesg, but what makes you consider that your opinion is so significantly superior to that of PL? (Maybe DMcN needs to be made aware of your talents...........or there again, perhaps not!)

Paul Lambert knows more about Football and Norwich no question, his powers of motivation are absolutely outstanding and his tactics are pretty good as well. Fans can express concern without the Roeder like comments I would hope however

Can i just ask a question if all 7 signings are from the Championship which now looks odds on, how much difference do you think a top Manager makes? In other words have we got enough to work with? All Managers will admit that once players are on the pitch then that''s largely it.

Has a team with about 30 PL Games experience between them ever done ok in the past??[/quote]

I would say a manager can do an awful lot - look at the team vs Colchester (home)and how Lambert turned a lot of those players round in a very short space of time.

[quote user="jamesg"]Wendt is a swedish left back from FC Copenhagen available for nothing, just an idea[/quote]So it''s ok to slate players with Championship and or Premiership experience as being uninspired, and then recommend we sign a guy who''s not played outside of the Scandinavian leagues instead.Do you not see the terrible hyposcrisy here? Since when has the Swedish league, ever been known as a better league than the Championship, and yet despite this, you want us signing virtual unknown players from there instead of proven talent in English football.Funny thing is that I didn''t see any reports of escapees from the local asylum, and yet here you are...

[quote user="jamesg"]I have held my fire on our summer signings but the signing of Bradley Johnson is the last straw for me, whenever i have seen him he has misplaced passes and shots, and his tackling is not that great either. This is the 4th signing a top half Championship side would be happy with, not a team trying to establish in the Premership.

If this is the best our Chief Scout can do then Chelsea can have him quite honestly. Can we not widen our ambit away from players in Championship?

Surely we should be looking at players with some Prem experience?? Or a decent Bosman from abroad? Reo Coker, Cohen and Wendt all surely better purchases.

Again we are improving squad depth but not the team, I am now worried[/quote]No I won''t say what I was going to say, I refuse to enter into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Reo Coker. Seriously? The guys''s ego would not fit through the dressing room door and would disrupt the dressing room no end.
No thank you!

[quote user="Barclay Boy"]

Reo Coker. Seriously? The guys''s ego would not fit through the dressing room door and would disrupt the dressing room no end. No thank you!

[/quote]

If you''re gonna abuse Reo Coker, at least have a valid point, like him being overrated. His ego is such a problem he gets made captain at all the club he''s at.

The reason he has played so much in the Premiership is because he doesn''t have an ego and works very hard to make up for his lack of talent.

[quote user="jamesg"]I may be wrong, i may be right but your opinion expressed in these terms of personal abuse is a bit pathetic

We are all entitled to comment and Lambert is a top football Manager but is not a deity. I am just saying that buying a team with no experience of the top division is a most risky strategy. Does 47 appearances including subs count as experience, of course not.

Perhaps i am being unfair lumping Vaughan in as a Championship signing, but he did appear 30 times as a Crystal Palace player.

Morrison, Vaughan, Bennett, Johnson are all our players or will by the end of the week and all played in Championship or League 1 last season. Snodgrass is a confirmed target (ditto)

Wendt is a swedish left back from FC Copenhagen available for nothing, just an idea[/quote]Moyes made an awful signing when he signed Tim Cahill all those years ago from Millwall didn''t he?Oh and why did all those teams spend that money on Peter Crouch after he was found not good enough for Aston Villa and had to go and play for that c. rap team Norwich City in the Championship?  That Dean Ashton was a woeful signing for us and then West Ham also wasn''t he???Even Robbie Savage at Leicester, he didn''t do too badly for himself after Martin O''Neill signed him from Crewe did he?  A £400k signing from the mighty Crewe Alexandra - what the hell was O''Neill thinking of???? [:$]Creaming the best talent from the teams around you and the odd bargain from even further down and on FREE transfers has been the secret of all top managers.  Even Fergie in his early days at Man Utd spent £180k on Lee Sharpe from Torquay Utd... what on earth was he doing???

[quote user="ncfcfan"][quote user="Barclay Boy"]

Reo Coker. Seriously? The guys''s ego would not fit through the dressing room door and would disrupt the dressing room no end.
No thank you!

[/quote]

If you''re gonna abuse Reo Coker, at least have a valid point, like him being overrated. His ego is such a problem he gets made captain at all the club he''s at.

The reason he has played so much in the Premiership is because he doesn''t have an ego and works very hard to make up for his lack of talent.

[/quote]

He had a training-ground bust-up with manager Martin O''Neill at Villa. That does not augur well for working with Lambert IMO. Sounds like he has an ego to me.

I think that PL is spending money early wisely and on players that fit his bill. They all have potential, add to our squad and improve what we have and there is undoubted quality to be had from the lower leagues. Crucially they give us options. Together with PL being easily the best manager I have witnessed at carrow road such an approach is cause for celebration and confidence for next season

however there is a LOT about the signings that means the OP does strike a chord with me.

SO FAR the signings have not had the same impact on me as signing svenson, hux, crouch or ashton did - players who stood above and beyond the existing squad in terms of potential and quality. They were truly inspiring and imaginative signings. Vaughan Morison, possibly Johnson & Bennett are solid - but in the whole feel similar to the approach Blackpool took last summer. That does not mean I disagree with the manager approach - far from it.

But I do want to see a signing that shows real intent - a centre back thats has the trademark PL qualities yet would make the premier league sit up and take notice (which with the best will in the world Vaughan & Morison do not) would be a true statement of intent.

And am I alone in getting fed up with "in lambert we trust" refrain? Starting to sound like keep the faith already - enough! He is a managerial genius - but not a messiah, (dont think he is a naughty boy though) and questioning his choices not blasphemy.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

What''s rather ironic about half of the responses on this thread are that they probably come from people who say that Cody will never be any better than a League Two or League One striker at very best.  Yet they argue with such ferosity that our other players who are/were League One/Championship players will make the step up to the Premier League.

So a player can make the step up when it suits and can''t make the step up when it doesn''t, absolute funking joke.  Engage the brain before posting FFS.

[/quote]YES, you got that about right, it really is as simple as that... some of us seem to be born with a gift where we can judge players very quickly and aren''t often wrong, just like I have always said.  All people are wrong every so often though, but I have the utmost confidence that Lambert will call it right more often than not and I would expect if we are signing 7 players for at least 3 or 4 of those to be a resounding success at the very least.Do you honestly believe that Lambert''s scouts go and view every single player in the country in the hope of unearthing a diamond?They go and view a player who has been getting rave reviews, has caught their eye, or has been banging in lots of goals etc.  90% of those players their will be a gut reaction to whether they are a good player in the scouts eyes or not and whether they could develop within their set up, improve their starting 11, improve their squad.  The scout would probably write half of the players off that they see at least on one single viewing. It is blatantly obvious to most that Cody will never be up to Premiership Standard or even the top end of the Championship.  He has pace, but his first touch is woeful.

[quote user="ncfcfan"][quote user="Barclay Boy"]

No thank you!

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is a valid point. I have concerns that he would cause trouble in the dressing room just like was reported at West Ham and the training room bust up with ONeil at Villa. Do some searching if you don''t beleive me, no smoke without fire etc.

On his day he is a good PL footballer but for me his past concerns me. Along with luck and some decent signings the team spirt Lambert has built over the last two seasons will be play a part in us staying up.

[quote user="Woman in the Stands "][quote user="Harry the Green Wizard"]No I won''t say what I was going to say, I refuse to enter into a battle of wits with an unarmed person.[/quote]What have I done now? [:O]  [:^)]  [:S]

[/quote]You''re too darn hot.  [IMG]http://msnheaven.sitesled.com/Adult/SmileyBoobs.gif[/IMG]

Hopefully each player and PL and his staff can make you eat your words by doing well next season and surviving at the very least

Our success is because we have a TEAM of ''nobodys'' plus a talented management team. Long may it continue. No marquees, tents or other camping equipment necessary.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="jamesg"]I may be wrong, i may be right but your opinion expressed in these terms of personal abuse is a bit pathetic

Wendt is a swedish left back from FC Copenhagen available for nothing, just an idea[/quote]Moyes made an awful signing when he signed Tim Cahill all those years ago from Millwall didn''t he?Oh and why did all those teams spend that money on Peter Crouch after he was found not good enough for Aston Villa and had to go and play for that c. rap team Norwich City in the Championship?  That Dean Ashton was a woeful signing for us and then West Ham also wasn''t he???Even Robbie Savage at Leicester, he didn''t do too badly for himself after Martin O''Neill signed him from Crewe did he?  A £400k signing from the mighty Crewe Alexandra - what the hell was O''Neill thinking of???? [:$]Creaming the best talent from the teams around you and the odd bargain from even further down and on FREE transfers has been the secret of all top managers.  Even Fergie in his early days at Man Utd spent £180k on Lee Sharpe from Torquay Utd... what on earth was he doing???[/quote]

I was never a fan of Smudger Mk1, but the new improved version I''ve been reading on here over the last few weeks has put some very good posts up, so fair play to you. A good point well made by yourself, and for the record, I also have faith that Lambert is again going to surprise us in where he guides us to in final league placings. This August can''t come soon enough for me, and seeing how Lambert pits his wits against the very ''best'' managers in England.

[quote user="Tao of Lambert"]Our success is because we have a TEAM of ''nobodys'' plus a talented management team. Long may it continue. No marquees, tents or other camping equipment necessary.[/quote]

haha very well said Marquee Signings - Premiership experience required... what are some of these people on with their blind ignorance to where so many teams (including ourselves last time we were here) get it wrong?

Most of the Prem is not very good and I am sure that we will have much delight of reminding the majority of fans who think that they are oh so comfortable in that league of that over the coming months... All together now "Premiership... you''re having a laugh!!!"

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[/quote]

YES, you got that about right, it really is as simple as that... some of us seem to be born with a gift where we can judge players very quickly and aren''t often wrong, just like I have always said.  All people are wrong every so often though, but I have the utmost confidence that Lambert will call it right more often than not and I would expect if we are signing 7 players for at least 3 or 4 of those to be a resounding success at the very least.

Do you honestly believe that Lambert''s scouts go and view every single player in the country in the hope of unearthing a diamond?

They go and view a player who has been getting rave reviews, has caught their eye, or has been banging in lots of goals etc.  90% of those players their will be a gut reaction to whether they are a good player in the scouts eyes or not and whether they could develop within their set up, improve their starting 11, improve their squad.  The scout would probably write half of the players off that they see at least on one single viewing.

It is blatantly obvious to most that Cody will never be up to Premiership Standard or even the top end of the Championship.  He has pace, but his first touch is woeful.
[/quote]

This is meant to be a joke - right?

[quote user="jamesg"]I may be wrong, i may be right but your opinion expressed in these terms of personal abuse is a bit pathetic We are all entitled to comment and Lambert is a top football Manager but is not a deity. I am just saying that buying a team with no experience of the top division is a most risky strategy. Does 47 appearances including subs count as experience, of course not. Perhaps i am being unfair lumping Vaughan in as a Championship signing, but he did appear 30 times as a Crystal Palace player. Morrison, Vaughan, Bennett, Johnson are all our players or will by the end of the week and all played in Championship or League 1 last season. Snodgrass is a confirmed target (ditto) Wendt is a swedish left back from FC Copenhagen available for nothing, just an idea[/quote]

I see where you’re trying to go with your argument mate. However in my opinion the highlighted piece above is where your argument falls down completely. On the contrary, I think the strategy Lambert is going with is not risky at all. I just think the risk Lambert & co. are mitigating against is a different one to the one you’re talking about.

Any intelligent manager - football or any other kind - will always tell you about a thing called a “Contingency Plan”. That is; what is the plan if we have worst case scenario. Hypothetically, let’s say we do get a few more (allegedly) proven players with Premier League experience. Of course to do this, we’d have to take on the associated salary demands of these players. However, don’t you think we’d still be favoured to go back down where we came from? Should that happen, we run the very real “risk” of being in a situation like the one Hull are faced with. That is; they try to offload Jimmy Bullard. They can’t. Therefore, they have 45K a week eating away their parachute payments.

If you look at what Lambert is doing, he’s reducing the “risk” of us being in a worse situation next year, regardless of the result. In my opinion, by getting young talented players on the verge of the premiership, giving them a chance to shine is both a great way to try and stay up, as well as a contingency plan for if we don’t.

Scenario 1; These guys play a great season. Show all the hunger and pride that has been demonstrated by Norwich City sides for the last 2 years, and we stay up. Brilliant. That’s Plan A. Build again on those blocks again next season, and maybe now might be the time for one or two more established Premiership players.

However being realistic, Scenario 2 needs to be planned out, as history shows that many clubs fail at their first attempt in the Premier League. Scenario 2 is; these guys fight valiantly, but are not quite good enough and get relegated. Now, not only do we have a great squad for The Championship, plus parachute payments to gain promotion again, we also possibly have a few talents that proved themselves in the Premiership who can be sold on for a tidy profit (Charlie Adam anyone?).

By being targeted and specific on signings, as well as not taking on any free Premier League journeyman, Lambert is setting us up for the next 5+ years, rather than just next season. When McNally spoke of the (now compressed) “7 year plan”, he spoke of planning 2 seasons of “yo-yoing” between The Premiership and The Championship. I’m pretty sure this is what that part of the plan looks like. No one wants to get relegated this coming season, but it would be naive not to plan for the situation when history shows that so many fail at their first attempt.

Will we go back down? No one can possibly know yet. However, regardless of the answer, in my opinion we’ll be in so much better shape next season as a result of the management’s decisions in the next 2 months. That is, if they keep doing what they’re doing instead of taking your alleged “less risky” approach.

My faith is in Paul Lambert not the OP. It is so easy to shout from the comfort of your armchair, when you dont actually have to make the decisions and pay the wages

what would you rather have, cheaper signings that proves everyone wrong and does really well for the club (Your Russell Martin''s etc) or an expensive big name signing that doesn''t live up to the hype?Lambert knows what he''s doing [:)]

OP Total tosh imo. Good championship players at the right age we know Lamberts track record for improving players. Anyway we couldnt afford to pay out £5 to £10 for proven premiership starts even if they wanted to come. If we get Snodgrass he will be a gem. Johnson for all the moans and groans played 43 games for leeds and they offered him a new contract!!

I''ve never read so much nonsense on a thread as the first poster has posted I can''t even think of a reply without swear words in it so I won''t. Either you''re a troll or you''ve been on Zog for the last two years.

The prices currently being bandied about for established Premiership players is ridiculous - £20m for Jordan Henderson? £4m more than an established England player in Ashley Young? Both playing for teams who struggled last season? Its utter madness.

Lambert''s current policy of taking players with potential, at a cut price, is in no way risky, as others have said.

Norfolknchance1, there is a third option with regards to the OP - that he''s an idiot...

Wonder if the OP condisers we should be following QPR''s lead and maybe going after the likes of Jermaine Jenas, Robbie Keane, Matthew Upson or even Harry Kewell, Lucas Neill or Marco Materazzi?

I have to say Bradley Johnson and Steve Morison don''t exactly fire the imagination. However, as long as they are improving the group I believe that Lambert is doing the right thing. He won''t be breaking the bank regarding wages either with these signings.Steve Morison in, Cody Macdonald/Oli Johnson/Aaron Wilbrahim/Chris Martin out -> A definate step up.The versatile Bradley Johnson in on a free, not going to sets the premiership alight. A step up from Simon Lappin -> Maybe.