Sign in to follow this  
ncfcfan

Can everybody stop going on about the 25 man squad!

The same rule has applied to the football league for years & nobody has ever mentioned it then. So I don''t have a clue why people keep mentioning a rule that we''ve been abiding by for years, as if it''s some massive problem facing us next season.

[quote user="ncfcfan"]The same rule has applied to the football league for years & nobody has ever mentioned it then. So I don''t have a clue why people keep mentioning a rule that we''ve been abiding by for years, as if it''s some massive problem facing us next season.[/quote]Spot on, I''ve been saying all summer that it is NOT an issue.

Firstly Championship clubs didn''t have to adeer to this ruling and secondly what would you say if I told you that our senior playing squad at the club of over 21 year old players currently stands at 25 NOW!, having so far only made 2 signings!....so it clearly is an issue and one that will require managing throughout the summer.

Then, what would you say if the number you got to was completely wrong!?

My understanding of this rules is as follows:

Clubs must name a line-up of 25 players who are OVER 21 and at least eight of them have to be homegrown.

A homegrown player is one who has been registered with an English or Welsh club for three years before they are 21.

That means the likes of Arsenal''s Cesc Fabregas and Nicklas Bendtner are classed as homegrown.

Managers can use as many under 21 players as they want, regardless of nationality.

So, by my reckoning, we don''t have to bother really!

My understanding is that this rule came in at the beginning of last season - and so has not been running for years and years

but then, who am I to argue with a bin boy ?

1) All Premier League clubs must submit a squad of up to 25 players.

2) Each 25-man squad must include at least eight ''home-grown'' players.

3) The ''home-grown'' players do not have to be English. According to the Premier League: "A home grown player is defined as one who, irrespective of his nationality or age, has been registered with any club affiliated to the Football Association or the Welsh Football Association for a period, continuous or not, of three entire seasons or 36 months prior to his 21st birthday (or the end of the season during which he turns 21)." In practice this means that Cesc Fabregas, who joined Arsenal when he was 16, counts as one of the Gunners'' home-grown quota.

4) In addition to the 25-man named squad, clubs can use an unlimited number of players aged 21 or under. This means that Manchester City''s new £22.5m striker Mario Balotelli, who is just 20, does not need to be named in their 25-man squad. According to the Premier League: "An Under 21 player is defined as one who is under the age of 21 on 1st January in the year in which the season commences. For the 2011/12 campaign Under 21 players will have been born on or after 1st January 1990."

5) Clubs can make changes to their squad but only during transfer windows, so once submitted the clubs will be stuck with that squad until January. Only in exceptional circumstances, such as a goalkeeper crisis, can changes be made outside the window, and then only if the Premier League board approves the changes.

6) Once the transfer window opens again, there are no restrictions on how many changes clubs can make to their squads, so they can replace the entire 25 if they want to.

7) Even if a player is not named in the 25-man squad, they can still play in the FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League or Europa League.

8) Players from the 25-man squad cannot be replaced if they are loaned to Football League clubs, but can regain their spot in the group if they return to the parent club.

9) Clubs do not have to name a full squad of 25 if they do not have that many contracted players and in this case they can add free agents outside the transfer window. However if they have 25 eligible contracted players, they must be named.

10) Similarly, clubs do not have to name eight ''home-grown'' players if they do not have enough, but this would mean submitting a reduced squad.

Am I wrong??

1.Ruddy 2,Martin,3,Drury,4,Whitbread,5,Crofts,6.Hughes,7.Holt,8.Jackson,9.Surman,10.Hoolahan,11.Fox,12,C.Martin,13.Lappin,14,Barnett,15.Wilbraham,16.Ward,17.Johnson,18.McNamee,19.Daley,20.S.Smith,21.McDonald,22.Tudur-Jones,23.Tierney,24.Vaughan,25.Morison

=25 players over the age of 21

...might want to do your count again ?!?!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Am I wrong??

1.Ruddy 2,Martin,3,Drury,4,Whitbread,5,Crofts,6.Hughes,7.Holt,8.Jackson,9.Surman,10.Hoolahan,11.Fox,12,C.Martin,13.Lappin, 14,Barnett,15.Wilbraham,16.Ward,17.Johnson,18.McNamee,19.Daley,20.S.Smith,21.McDonald,22.Tudur-Jones,23.Tierney,24.Vaughan,25.Morison

[/quote]The thing is though, Johnson, Daley, Smith and Tudur Jones will definitely be on their way, and so probably will Hughes. Also, expect one of McDonald and Martin to go, and we are down to 19 plus the new signings. Even McNamee could go and make that 18...

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Am I wrong??

1.Ruddy 2,Martin,3,Drury,4,Whitbread,5,Crofts,6.Hughes,7.Holt,8.Jackson,9.Surman,10.Hoolahan,11.Fox,12,C.Martin,13.Lappin, 14,Barnett,15.Wilbraham,16.Ward,17.Johnson,18.McNamee,19.Daley,20.S.Smith,21.McDonald,22.Tudur-Jones,23.Tierney,24.Vaughan,25.Morison

[/quote]

The thing is though, Johnson, Daley, Smith and Tudur Jones will definitely be on their way, and so probably will Hughes. Also, expect one of McDonald and Martin to go, and we are down to 19 plus the new signings. Even McNamee could go and make that 18...
[/quote]

That may well be the case, who knows what Lambert is thinking with outgoings, but the fact remains that it is still a situation that needs managing and not one to ''ignore'' as people have suggested?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

Am I wrong??

[/quote]

The thing is though, Johnson, Daley, Smith and Tudur Jones will definitely be on their way, and so probably will Hughes. Also, expect one of McDonald and Martin to go, and we are down to 19 plus the new signings. Even McNamee could go and make that 18...[/quote]

That may well be the case, who knows what Lambert is thinking with outgoings, but the fact remains that it is still a situation that needs managing and not one to ''ignore'' as people have suggested?

[/quote]Well, I''m not sure who has said that we should ''ignore'' it, but I certainly don''t think we will be leaving players out- if anything I don''t think we will need to name the full 25. Last season some teams only put 19 or 20 names down.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Firstly Championship clubs didn''t have to adeer to this ruling[/quote]In section 1 of the Football League rules:

Squad List: the list of up to a

maximum of 25 Players eligible to participate in League Matches during a

Season of whom a maximum of 15 may not be Home Grown Players

[quote user="City1st"]My understanding is that this rule came in at the

beginning of last season - and so has not been running for years and

years

but then, who am I to argue with a bin boy ?[/quote]The rule has been running in the football league for years and years, as I stated. It was only in the Premiership where it started last season.Am I a bin boy because I''m not a clueless happy clapper like you?

[quote user="ncfcfan"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Firstly Championship clubs didn''t have to adeer to this ruling[/quote]In section 1 of the Football League rules:

Squad List: the list of up to a

maximum of 25 Players eligible to participate in League Matches during a

Season of whom a maximum of 15 may not be Home Grown Players

[quote user="City1st"]My understanding is that this rule came in at the

beginning of last season - and so has not been running for years and

years

but then, who am I to argue with a bin boy ?[/quote]The rule has been running in the football league for years and years, as I stated. It was only in the Premiership where it started last season.Am I a bin boy because I''m not a clueless happy clapper like you?[/quote]I don''t understand why there is still a faction of supporters who despise what Delia Smith has done, I really don''t understand it, I am guessing they are just bitter people who can''t admit that they were wrong about Delia Smith and the way the club is run!We might be "happy clappers" but us happy clappers just had the best 2 years of our life with Norwich and as we''re not bitter and blinded with hate we have managed to soak up every bit of enjoyment!