Sign in to follow this  
marvin the martian

Late goals question

How many late/injury time goals did we get last season ? I have the figure 12 in my head but just need to check, thanks.  If someone knows the amounts for last 10 minutes and also injury time goals I''d appreciate it, ta.

More than that mate ,we calculated the bloke in our row who leaves early missed 14 goals, and that was just home games....

Being a statto I''ve gone through all of last season''s results to find out - here are the times of goals from the 80th minute onwards (all data taken from the BBC)

LEAGUE:

Norwich 2-3 Watford (Nelson 90+1)

Scunthorpe 0-1 Norwich (Holt 90+1)

Norwich 2-0 Swansea (Williams og 87, Jackson 90+4)

Norwich 2-1 Barnsley (C Martin 80)

Norwich 2-2 Burnley (Crofts 90+2)

Coventry 1-2 Norwich (Holt 87)

Norwich 4-2 Sheff Utd (Hoolahan 84, 90+7)

Norwich 1-1 Cardiff (R Martin 90)

Sheff Utd 1-2 Norwich (Crofts 80)

Norwich 2-1 Millwall (Lansbury 90+4)

Norwich 2-1 Reading (Holt 90+4)

Norwich 3-1 Bristol City (Lansbury 89, Surman 90+1)

Norwich 6-0 Scunthorpe (Jackson 90+4)

Ipswich 1-5 Norwich (R Martin 80, Pacheco 90+4)

Norwich 3-2 Derby (Jackson 90+6)

CUP:

Norwich 4-1 Gillingham (C Martin 90+2)

Blackburn 3-1 Norwich (Askou 90)

I make that 12 in injury time and 9 within the 80-90 minute bracket, so a total of 21 goals scored from 80 minutes onward.

To go with those figures, as a matter of interest, how many did we concede in stoppage time? I remember an equaliser at Milwall that cost us 2 points, and a last minute free kick conceded at Leicester that didn''t affect the result, but not many others.

Goals conceded from 80 minutes onwards - again timings are from the BBC:

LEAGUE:

Norwich 2-3 Watford (Graham 81)

Doncaster 3-1 Norwich (Coppinger 86)

Norwich 0-2 Hull (Koren 83, Cairney 88)

Millwall 1-1 Norwich (Marquis 90+4)

Norwich 0-2 Portsmouth (Halford pen 90+6)

Burnley 2-1 Norwich (Rodriguez 81)

Norwich 1-1 Doncaster (Drury og 83)

Leicester 2-3 Norwich (Gallagher 90+4)

Swansea 3-0 Norwich (Priskin 90+4)

CUP:

Blackburn 3-1 Norwich (Diouf 80, 84)

So that''s 4 in injury time and 8 in the 80-90 bracket.

I make it that the goals scored at 90 mins or more gained us 10 points. Of the goals conceded at 90 mins or more, only the Milwall one actually cost any points (two).So a net gain of 8 points through last minute or stoppage time goals.A total of 76 points instead of 84 would have pushed us down to 5th place. So you could say those late goals were worth about £10 million each!

It''s interesting to compare when it''s set out like this. This table is from soccerstats. More than half our goals were scored in the last half hour!

SCORING TIMES (overall)

0-15 minGF10
GA9
16-30 minGF8
GA13
31-45 minGF15
GA6
46-60 minGF7
GA7
61-75 minGF20
GA11
76-90 minGF23
GA12

''31-45'' and ''76-90'' also include added time

[quote user="Power Hamster"]I make it that the goals scored at 90 mins or more gained us 10 points. Of the goals conceded at 90 mins or more, only the Milwall one actually cost any points (two).So a net gain of 8 points through last minute or stoppage time goals.A total of 76 points instead of 84 would have pushed us down to 5th place. So you could say those late goals were worth about £10 million each![/quote]

I make it 14 points gained with goals scored at 90 mins or more. did you include the ones that got us a draw instead of defeat?

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]The best sides always play well in the last 10 minutes - simple as that.[/quote]

Yes - watching England on Sat with 80 mins gone, and having fought back to 2-2, I was expecting we''d be all over them for the rest of the game.  Sadly it wasn''t to be, instead Switzerland if anything were more likely to get a winner - made me realise how good City are at pushing towards the end of a game.

[quote user="Chip20"][quote user="Power Hamster"]I make it that the goals scored at 90 mins or more gained us 10 points. Of the goals conceded at 90 mins or more, only the Milwall one actually cost any points (two).So a net gain of 8 points through last minute or stoppage time goals.A total of 76 points instead of 84 would have pushed us down to 5th place. So you could say those late goals were worth about £10 million each![/quote]

I make it 14 points gained with goals scored at 90 mins or more. did you include the ones that got us a draw instead of defeat?[/quote]I counted again and I still make it 10 points gained - stoppage time winners against Scunthorpe, Millwall, Reading and Derby gained 2 extra points each, and equalisers against Burnley and Cardiff gained 1 point each. The other 90+ goals didn''t materially affect the result.Anyway, however you calculate it, those late goals made all the difference!

[quote user="Power Hamster"][quote user="Chip20"][quote user="Power Hamster"]I make it that the goals scored at 90 mins or more gained us 10 points. Of the goals conceded at 90 mins or more, only the Milwall one actually cost any points (two).So a net gain of 8 points through last minute or stoppage time goals.A total of 76 points instead of 84 would have pushed us down to 5th place. So you could say those late goals were worth about £10 million each![/quote]

I make it 14 points gained with goals scored at 90 mins or more. did you include the ones that got us a draw instead of defeat?[/quote]I counted again and I still make it 10 points gained - stoppage time winners against Scunthorpe, Millwall, Reading and Derby gained 2 extra points each, and equalisers against Burnley and Cardiff gained 1 point each. The other 90+ goals didn''t materially affect the result.Anyway, however you calculate it, those late goals made all the difference![/quote]

You are right, Power Hamster. I was counting late winners as three points gained rather than two. D''oh!

Goals conceded from 80 minutes onwards - again timings are from the BBC:

LEAGUE:

Norwich 2-3 Watford (Graham 81)

Doncaster 3-1 Norwich (Coppinger 86)

Norwich 0-2 Hull (Koren 83, Cairney 88)

Millwall 1-1 Norwich (Marquis 90+4)

Norwich 0-2 Portsmouth (Halford pen 90+6)

Burnley 2-1 Norwich (Rodriguez 81)

Norwich 1-1 Doncaster (Drury og 83)

Leicester 2-3 Norwich (Gallagher 90+4)

Swansea 3-0 Norwich (Priskin 90+4)

CUP:

Blackburn 3-1 Norwich (Diouf 80, 84)

So that''s 4 in injury time and 8 in the 80-90 bracket.

Just a small note....The Hull home game, Im sure it was Bullard with the second with a superb free kick?And Portsmouth home game, was David Nugent with the penalty? ( I remember we had a big arguement with him that day! )Apologies in advance if Im wrong...

"So you could say those late goals were worth about £10 million each!"

No

Other than Scunthorpe and Cardiff (3 points gained) all the other games had City scoring. Without those goals the late goals would not have gained so many points.

Otherwise you might just as well randomly pluck two games from the 46, say against Derby and state that those points were worth £15m each. That only the final runner in a 4x4 relay wins the race, irrespective oih his/her time set against the other three.

What I would suggest is that the figures highlight the way Lambert instills into the team an attacking mindset. I''m sure many teams are accustomed to playing out the last few minutes with a ''let''s leave it at that'' mentality and have been caught by this ''sound the bugles and charge'' attitude.

This has brought some of the most memorable moments at Carrow Road (and elsewhere). It also possibly indicates the type of player) Lambert is looking to sign. Not only ''hungry'' but attacking minded. Russel Martin has scorered from being in an attacking position. Vaughan, Morison and Bennet are attacking players with pace,

I think we are going to surprise a few early on this coming season. It may take some clubs a while to adjust to cope with us - as I believe it will be that way round for a while. However on behalf of all those that might be a bit concerned about their old ticker, perhaps a bit earlier lads, if you could.

[quote user="City1st"]"So you could say those late goals were worth about £10 million each!"

No

Other than Scunthorpe and Cardiff (3 points gained) all the other games had City scoring. Without those goals the late goals would not have gained so many points.

Otherwise you might just as well randomly pluck two games from the 46, say against Derby and state that those points were worth £15m each. That only the final runner in a 4x4 relay wins the race, irrespective oih his/her time set against the other three.

What I would suggest is that the figures highlight the way Lambert instills into the team an attacking mindset. I''m sure many teams are accustomed to playing out the last few minutes with a ''let''s leave it at that'' mentality and have been caught by this ''sound the bugles and charge'' attitude.

This has brought some of the most memorable moments at Carrow Road (and elsewhere). It also possibly indicates the type of player) Lambert is looking to sign. Not only ''hungry'' but attacking minded. Russel Martin has scorered from being in an attacking position. Vaughan, Morison and Bennet are attacking players with pace,

I think we are going to surprise a few early on this coming season. It may take some clubs a while to adjust to cope with us - as I believe it will be that way round for a while. However on behalf of all those that might be a bit concerned about their old ticker, perhaps a bit earlier lads, if you could.[/quote]Well yes ok, you don''t have to take it absolutely literally that each of those goals was worth millions of pounds. What I was really trying to do was make the point that our ability to score late goals  was a key factor in getting promotion. Obviously I don''t think there was actually a cash register going "ker-chingg - £10m" each time one of those goals went in .......... although, come to think of it, maybe they could use that to replace the goal music at home games!!

http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/teams/NorwichCty.htmlThat''s a good site for stats, it has us scoring 17 after the 85th minute to 6 we conceded, but that includes a couple scored in cup games.

[quote user="Jez"]http://stats.football365.com/dom/ENG/teams/NorwichCty.htmlThat''s a good site for stats, it has us scoring 17 after the 85th minute to 6 we conceded, but that includes a couple scored in cup games.[/quote]Yes I like that site, there''s a whole lot of very detailed stats on there.The other one I like is http://statto.com