Sign in to follow this  
Row D Seat 7

Lambert will sell more players

On SSN yesterday Lambert said he would sell more players, and that it''s the "nature of the game".

So, who do you think will leave?

I think he will sell/loan out Wilbraham, McDonald, Johnson, Daley, Hughes and S.Smith.

Add to that OTJ and that is the most likely list. I wouldn''t be surprised to see Adeyemi also moved on after a fairly disappointing season at Bradford - although the fact he is under 21 might save him this season.

I think if a good offer comes in for Chris Martin he may also be shown the exit.

Sell Wilbraham, Johnson, Daley, Hughes, S.Smith and possibly MacNamee, and possibly loan out Cody McDonald, although am I right in saying he only has a year left on his contact? If so, then if he isn''t in Lambert''s plans then he may just sell him, instead of letting him eventually leave on a free

I don''t see much point in loaning out Chris Martin. I would sell him if a decent offer came in. I can''t see him ever hitting the heights that were once expected of him, so wouldn''t be too disappointed.

To be honest other than Martin and Mac Donald i dont think you would get much for the fringe players , maybe £500 000 in total with a £1m or so for Martin and Mac Donald combined

I agree, I think we could get about 600k for Martin, and about 350-400k for Cody.

I think we should loan out Korey Smith if he''s not going to be used much. It would do him good to play Championship football consistently for a club this season, ready for our second Premier League season.

I do agree we have a number of players who are no longer required due to our back to back promotions. For their own careers they should be looking to move on and of course as a club we are right to move players on to clear wage bill etc. But I also believe you have a right to let a player be aware that they will or will not be part of the plans.

Daley is a player that I would think would benefit greatly with the reserve league for at least a season and probably Adeyemi. Playing young Premiership players and against first team players getting back into fitness.

If anything we can properly see how they develop and also would increase there value to a degree. I don''t think you need to give up on some of the youngsters yet. But the names mentioned above are the names that rightly have either asked to move on (S. Smith), or have agreed to go on loan.

Wilby is the one player who brings the msot questions to the table. An 18 month contract signed, here till the end of next season. Did we wirte something into his contract if we went up. But to get a fee or to move him on I think is unlikely. I do think a possible loan move may be likely, but I do also understand he is a very popular in the dressing room. Hence I would be happy to keep him in the squad till his contract expires at the end of this premiership season.

How much we will pull in from transfers? Very minimal, but Cody is the one player who now warrants a fee. Martin if an offer came in, but I would think again this is a little unlikely. But who knows.

Whatever it is an exciting summer, with great new signings and good players who have been part of back to back promotions moving on. Even with a few games under their belts they have been part of the squad who have trained together etc.

Hughes played a number of games at the end of the League 1 season, Johnson scored some important goals that same season. So we wish them well, but should not feel bad. They are furthering their careers while we have exceeded all expectations

If we do sell Martin I can only assume this won''t happen till January, he has not played any first football for quite a while so PL will more than likley want to take a look at him during pre season, then perhaps loan with view to perminant deal. 

No value in loaning Chrissy out.

He is the only player that has any value, hopefully a Peterboro, Brighton, Watford, type that have a few quid come knocking.

OTJ, Smith, Mcnamee, Oli, Wilb''s are all likely to go for next to nothing. Guess they will free up some wage money if nothing else.

And then theres Cody, I hope we give him a chance, seems pointless loaning him out in the last year of his contract, so its keep him, or sell him for me.

Reeckon we could get £500K for Cody and probably £1m for Martin but I would not sell the latter.

Out will go OTJ, Gill, S.Smith, S.Hughes, Johnson, Askou and Macdonald. I also think we will loan out Rudd and Wilbraham.

I think the key lies in the 25 player squad limit in the Prem. Lambert has said that he wants another 5 or so after Vaughan & Morison. If Bennett and Bradley Johnson come in as has been suggested there could be 3 more after that. The present squad has about 24 senior players. If Hughes and OTJ  leave, Lambert could just about manage. 1 or 2 players could go out on loan at least until January. I''m not sure whether Lansbury and/or Pacheco would be considered to be under 21. If not, more places would be required.

I think Wilbraham and Cody could be kept on, but possibly via going out on loan. It could also depend on whether Lambert could bring in someone who can play at both RB and CB (Geremi has been mentioned and he can play defensive midfield as well). I''d also like to see an experienced keeper come in so Rudd and Steer could go out on loan to get experience.

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Lambert didn''t fancy Cody at Championship level, so I very much doubt he''ll featurein the Prem.[/quote]

But he hadnt bagged 20+ goals then, now he as.

Holt and Wilbraham are very much a similar player. We''d be silly to let Wilbraham go- (unless an offer comes up-)he won''t be on much money but could be vital if Holt gets injured- good player to hold up the ball, head the ball down. Bit slower- reads the game well. I think for the 5 apps he might make in the Premiership he could secure us 1/2 points which could well make all the difference towards the end of the season.

Yeah 20 goals in League 1 defo makes him good enough for the Prem

And is it proven that he isnt good enough?

Cody only scored 20+ in league 2 so he cannot possibly do a job in the premier league!! Well what I have to say to that is: Imagine if we had taken that attitude when signing Grant Holt from LEAGUE 2.

I just can''t see anyone offering 500k for Martin, he hasn''t ever done anything of note in any division has he?

Hope to be proved wrong though.

[quote user="Downloads"]

I just can''t see anyone offering 500k for Martin, he hasn''t ever done anything of note in any division has he?

Hope to be proved wrong though.

[/quote]

Did you only start supporting us when we got promoted into the Prem?

Im not Chrissy''s biggest fan but he had a bloody good season in League One!

Cody actually scored 25 goals, 10 of which were with his head, after missing the first month of the season through an ankle injury, and played through a thigh injury in the final few weeks of the season. He has that valuable attribute called pace that many of our other strikers lack (Holt, Martin, Wilbraham and Morison) and which is deemed essential for a striker in the Prem. So how many goals does a player have to score in League 2 to warrant a chance in the Prem ? [:D]

[quote user="Row D Seat 7"]Lambert didn''t fancy Cody at Championship level, so I very much doubt he''ll featurein the Prem.[/quote]

May be a case of a full season of games at Gillingham would do Cody (and NCFC) more good than the odd appearance with us last season.

[quote user="Viva_Marc_Libbra"]Holt and Wilbraham are very much a similar player. We''d be silly to let Wilbraham go- (unless an offer comes up-)he won''t be on much money but could be vital if Holt gets injured- good player to hold up the ball, head the ball down. Bit slower- reads the game well. I think for the 5 apps he might make in the Premiership he could secure us 1/2 points which could well make all the difference towards the end of the season.[/quote]

1) Surely Morison is the player competing with Holt?

2) Dont forget the 25 squad limit (for players aged 21 and over).

Wouldnt be surprised to see us let go (if we can) - probably on frees:

Smith (LB one) and Hughes....probably going to Scotland

OTJ

McNamee

Wilbrahams

Wouldnt be surprised to see us let go - on loan or for transfer fees;

McDonald (loan to Jan only unless he signs a new contract)

Johnson

Daley

On loan for part of the season (if we can find suitable clubs):

Rudd

Steer

Francomb

Smith

Adeyemi

Dawkin

C. Martin

I think a part of what may sway any decision on who to keep and who not to may depend on the clubs decision on whether to play in the reserve Premier League or not. If we do decide to , we''re going to need a team to play in it, which will require keeping younger players/ more fringe players on the books.