Sign in to follow this  
Eadienhucks

F.A.O MICK DENNIS

I Have 2,000 odd old programmes i inherited from dad and now and again i have a read of 1 picked at random,usually when i have to visit the little boys room..Your xmas quiz about Norwich city and teams in our league for the year 1977,(prog 26 dec 1977 v 1p5wich..), is way to hard for me as not my era,but a few questions you asked,i would love to know what the answer was...

question 1..city provided the opposition in his testimonial and later in the year john bond said he wanted to sign,who was he?

question 4...who was found guilty by the fa,but not punished?

question 5..Keelan faced 4 penalties in one match and only 2 beat him,which match?

question 12..Viv Busby scored a hat trick and it brought another hat trick.what was the 2nd hat trick?

Question 15..which teams fans sang in augest"were gonna win the league"..in september "we wont go down" and october "we want our money back" ?

The 1 that really intrigued me mick, Q 15,about those fans..im hoping its 1p5wich!

Wow! How scary to have a reminder of my distant past. I am sorry to say that I can''t remember setting the quiz, much less the answers.

Gerry Harrison (then at Anglia TV) and I used to provide the content for the Norwich programme of that era. The club paid a publisher, who engaged Gerry and me as joint editors. I used to bash out my contributions (by typewriter on paper, of course) and send them in a parcel by train from Norwich station to the publisher/printer (based near Liverpool Street).

For a Christmas time programme, like the one you are quoting, I would have had to provide the content long in advance -- hence the idea of a timeless quiz rather than anything topical which would have become out of date.

At the time (77-78) I was the EDP''s Norwich City correspondent and so the work on the programme had to be fitted around my "proper" job.

That was my last season in the job. The final match I reported for the EDP was the 1978 FA Cup Final (look up who won, if you don''t know) -- and after that it was definitely time to move on, so I sought and got a job in Fleet Street.

With the help of Google, I have just found out that the Vic Busby hat-trick was against Leicester at Carrow Road, but I have no idea what I meant about a second hat-trick.

I can''t remember the Keelan penalties game and wonder if it was a testimonial.

Sorry not to be able to remember a quiz I set 34 years ago (!), but thanks for giving me a bit of nostalgia. OTBC

I think the answer to no 4 is Don Revie. he was found guilty of bringing the game into disrepute by the FA but had his 10 year suspension overturned by the Courts and therefore "was not punished"

[quote user="Eadienhucks"]I Have 2,000 odd old programmes i inherited from dad and now and again i have a read of 1 picked at random,usually when i have to visit the little boys room..Your xmas quiz about Norwich city and teams in our league for the year 1977,(prog 26 dec 1977 v 1p5wich..), is way to hard for me as not my era,but a few questions you asked,i would love to know what the answer was... question 1..city provided the opposition in his testimonial and later in the year john bond said he wanted to sign,who was he? question 4...who was found guilty by the fa,but not punished? question 5..Keelan faced 4 penalties in one match and only 2 beat him,which match?

question 12..Viv Busby scored a hat trick and it brought another hat trick.what was the 2nd hat trick?

Question 15..which teams fans sang in augest"were gonna win the league"..in september "we wont go down" and october "we want our money back" ? The 1 that really intrigued me mick, Q 15,about those fans..im hoping its 1p5wich![/quote]

--

This is going to sound really very stupid[8-|] but could the Busby thing have been some Norwich clothing store presenting him with three hats, in the way players used to get free food? I dimly remember some player somewhere in those innocent days getting rewarded by a local butcher for every goal scored.

Thanks anyway :) on that date we were 6th in Div 1 and if were playing ipswich..did we win?..

Loved your rant in the prog against chelsea 12 nov,attacking our council over plans to reduce capaity to 19,000!

Apparently our council along with cardiffs,were the only ones who have interpretaded new Gov legislation,which meant capacity had to be reduced immediately under new safety laws..

You stated it all councils should have the same guidelines from kingslynn/cambridge to liverpool/leeds..

We were also the 1st to put in an appeal(i take it we won)

Always think our council are anti norwich anyway.

I think the penalties was the game against Manchester City when we lost 2-0. Two Denis Tueart penalties one of which was retaken twice. And I reckon the fans who were going to win the league in August but "went down the pan"  were the "Toon Army". They won their first game and the not another until the end of October. They had qualified for Europe the previous season and were knocked out of that too. Ended up relegated with West Ham and Leicester.

We won that game against ipswich 1-0 thanks to a John Ryan goal. Good job really because we''d lost the away game 0-5 where Whymark scored a hattrick. Don''t think it was connected to Busby''s though!

Oh.. and the ref on the day of the penalties was the incomparable Roger Kirkpatrick!

Mr Dennis - Howabout putting a team of Journo''s in next season''s Canary Fan''s Quiz? We had 10 teams enter this season and it was won by a team from Club Canary. The real winners were Each because we raised £400.

In another programme later in that season,derby at home,i came across some answers to another quiz he had put out at easter against coventry...

See if you know,or remember the answer to this..

Question 17....Who stated "On the ball city" sounded like a death march?

[quote user="Eadienhucks"]In another programme later in that season,derby at home,i came across some answers to another quiz he had put out at easter against coventry... See if you know,or remember the answer to this.. Question 17....Who stated "On the ball city" sounded like a death march?[/quote]

Was Ron Saunders! I reckon a "death march" woiuld have suited some of the football we played when he first joined! Is a legend for what he later achieved though.

Could the Viv Busby one be something to do with him becoming the third player in that specific position to leave the club within a season? (Other two being Ted McDougall and Peter Osgood).

Could be Buckethead, it''s certainly intriguing. But Busby didn''t leave until late ''77 so that doesn''t really tally with what Mick Dennis posted earlier. Phil Boyer left for Southampton before Busby went to Stoke so he would have counted?

[quote user="Eadienhucks"]12..Viv Busby scored a hat trick and it brought another hat trick.what was the 2nd hat trick?

[/quote]Was that Busby''s third hat trick of the season?

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Eadienhucks"]12..Viv Busby scored a hat trick and it brought another hat trick.what was the 2nd hat trick?

[/quote]Was that Busby''s third hat trick of the season?

[/quote]

---

Sadly his only one, lappin. I still have hopes of my trio of gift tifters! Also, I thought it was Bond who hated On the ball..., calling it a dirge. But perhaps Saunders did too.