Sign in to follow this  
Adam NCFC

£3.5m bid rejected for Snodgrass.

Can people see us upping our offer then? I think we might, but can''t see us going to the full 5 million

I wish this chap was still our CEO.....We''d have none of this transfer nonsense during the close-season.......We''d be shrewd and tactful, cleverer than the rest, and save our pennies till the January transfer window when we are around 9 points away from safety, and then we can bring a few loan/bone idle mercenary leg-iron bench-warmers in to try and bail us out.....for extortionate fees.....but the system works.....

Anyway, no football club does business during the close-season, paying unnecessary wages whilst players are sunning themselves, imbibing incohol an'' alcohol and swiggin'' unusual cockytinkletales.....Oh, and chasing some young floozy females on some faraway beach......

I personally think Mr Mac could take a few pointers from our previous CEO......and see how a football club and its finances should be run....

BRING BACK THE DARK LORD DARTH  DONKSTER! .....He''s worth ten of Mr Mac!

Would love to see Snodgrass here but £5M is pretty steep!

Wouldn''t a player of that standard have lifted a decent team into at least the playoffs?

I doubt PL will be spending that on one player ... especially where we least need reinforcements.  

Depends how much the upfront fee is I guess, with parachute payments we can afford to take a gamble

£5M doing the rounds on WACCOE and also a SkySports presenter has said we''ve bid £5M. Lambert wants his man, Lambert gets his man! £5M would surely have to be our final bid though? Steep enough as it is, although Snodgrass is a quality player! Hope we get him.

Looks to me like Lambert has decided who he wants and has been given the green light to spend his budget as he sees fit, probably knew £3.5m wouldn''t work but always worth a try, in stark contrast look at what happened when Worthy wanted Parkin!

I''m not happy we''re signing promising, hungry, upcoming players.Would much rather we sign has-beens with Premiership experience like we did last time.BRING BACK GRAHAM STUART!!!!!

£5mill is a huge sum....when compared to what our budget has been. But this is the premier league in 2011. This is the league where Charlie Adam is subject to a £10mill bid from Liverpool and Jordan Henderson is worth £20mill? If Snoddy proves a success in the PL, at the age of 23 his value will rocket

[quote user="Stevo"]£5mill is a huge sum....when compared to what our budget has been. But this is the premier league in 2011. This is the league where Charlie Adam is subject to a £10mill bid from Liverpool and Jordan Henderson is worth £20mill? If Snoddy proves a success in the PL, at the age of 23 his value will rocket[/quote]

Spot on. If we want players of real quality we have to pay the asking price. If Lambert sees what he needs in Snodgrass then it''s great that the board are backing him. What a refreshing change from last time around, and, particularly, the Roeder era when we seemed to be a sort of rest home for on loan timewasters.

If Lambert can pick up players and do what he''s already done with the likes of Holt, Fox, Crofts, Tierney and Jackson we''ll do just fine.

£5m is mental... but it could be seen as an investment in as much.  If things do go jugs up and Snoddy has a relatively okay season we''d get our money back selling him on.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]Why would we increase an initial offer from 3.5 to 5? Surely we''d try and negotiate at 4 - 4.5 first?!?![/quote]Maybe because Leeds have said they will accept if we offer £5M?  [:^)]

[quote user="Canaries Utd"]Why would we increase an initial offer from 3.5 to 5? Surely we''d try and negotiate at 4 - 4.5 first?!?![/quote]

Only a theory, but maybe Leeds have indicated that if we come in with £5m without mucking around they''ll deal? Or maybe he''s a prime target and we want to nail him beforre anyone else, so we''re cutting corners?

[quote user="Excited Canary"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]Why would we increase an initial offer from 3.5 to 5? Surely we''d try and negotiate at 4 - 4.5 first?!?![/quote]

Maybe because Leeds have said they will accept if we offer £5M?  [:^)]
[/quote]

Great minds mate!

My Leeds supporting mate is going ape,he reckons that the deal is done and Leeds are just trying to make it look like they are holding out for the big bucks,the rumours going around his Leeds mates are that City offered £3 mill plus add ons if we stay up,all rumours i know but just lovely to see the Leeds boys and girls getting their knickers in a twist!

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Excited Canary"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]Why would we increase an initial offer from 3.5 to 5? Surely we''d try and negotiate at 4 - 4.5 first?!?![/quote]Maybe because Leeds have said they will accept if we offer £5M?  [:^)][/quote]

Great minds mate!

[/quote]Oh yes! [:D] [Y]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Ridiculous believing we''d offer Hoolahan as part of the deal, although he''s older he''s worth more than Snodgrass surely.[/quote]

Wes is brilliant and in my view was the best player in the Championship in the second half of the season but he is 29 and we have built a team and system around him. As we saw in his first season here, he is not effective in a 4-4-2 system as he drifts in off the wing. The diamond is perfect for him. At a push you can play him as a second striker as we did at times last year.

In my view, this is why there hasn''t been lots of real interest in Wes and why he isn''t picked by Republic.

£5M for Snodgrass as he has had just one season in the Champs but at 23 he is still 3 or 4 years off his peak and if he does well he could easily be a £10M player in a years time - look at Ashley Young, he was signed by Villa for over £10M after a few months of Prem action with Watford.

Lets hope we get him and a couple more young guns.

Is Drury still our only player who is over 30?

[quote user="Steve 9-2"]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Ridiculous believing we''d offer Hoolahan as part of the deal, although he''s older he''s worth more than Snodgrass surely.[/quote]

Wes is brilliant and in my view was the best player in the Championship in the second half of the season but he is 29 and we have built a team and system around him. As we saw in his first season here, he is not effective in a 4-4-2 system as he drifts in off the wing. The diamond is perfect for him. At a push you can play him as a second striker as we did at times last year.

In my view, this is why there hasn''t been lots of real interest in Wes and why he isn''t picked by Republic.

£5M for Snodgrass as he has had just one season in the Champs but at 23 he is still 3 or 4 years off his peak and if he does well he could easily be a £10M player in a years time - look at Ashley Young, he was signed by Villa for over £10M after a few months of Prem action with Watford.

Lets hope we get him and a couple more young guns.

Is Drury still our only player who is over 30?

[/quote]I think (could be wrong) that Wilbraham is 31 and Holt has just turned 30?

Wilbraham? isn''t he 31/32?

Agree that Snodgrass could be worth a fortune in the future.

By brother is a massive Leeds fan and he''s gutted that they are going to lose him!!

Mwa ha ha ha ha!

[quote user="Gerry Harrison"]Holt is 30 and Wilbraham 31[/quote]

Thanks. Suspect one of those won''t be getting so much game time next year!!! Also Drury will be back up I guess.

Will Holt be a regular next year....if we are spending £2M a pop on a couple of strikers are they going to spend all season warming their backsides on the bench?

[quote user="Steve 9-2"]

[quote user="Gerry Harrison"]Holt is 30 and Wilbraham 31[/quote]

Thanks. Suspect one of those won''t be getting so much game time next year!!! Also Drury will be back up I guess.

Will Holt be a regular next year....if we are spending £2M a pop on a couple of strikers are they going to spend all season warming their backsides on the bench?

[/quote]

It''s all about competition. Lambert won''t pick his team based on who cost the most money; likewise players from this season do not have a divine right to play all season

[quote user="Excited Canary"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Excited Canary"][quote user="Canaries Utd"]Why would we increase an initial offer from 3.5 to 5? Surely we''d try and negotiate at 4 - 4.5 first?!?![/quote]Maybe because Leeds have said they will accept if we offer £5M?  [:^)][/quote]

Great minds mate!

[/quote]Oh yes! [:D] [Y][/quote]Right, so we just add another 1.5 million without a negotiation... errrrrr, me thinks not [:#]

But we might bid a bit higher with different add ons.

Just because Leeds might have said ''£5M or nothing'' doesn''t mean (in Business deals) that it is ''£5M or nothing''! Negotiation is everything (over to you Mr McNally.

Snodgrass might be doing his bit as well from his end knowing we are sniffing around. It is not set in stone no matter what Leeds say.

[quote user="Unhinged Canary"]Ok, to put it simpler for you. If Leeds said, "Its 5 million or nothing", would we then bid 4/4.4 million?

Errrrrr.... I think not.......[/quote]

Errrrr..... See above post, are some people really this naive???

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="Unhinged Canary"]Ok, to put it simpler for you. If Leeds said, "Its 5 million or nothing", would we then bid 4/4.4 million?

Errrrrr.... I think not.......[/quote]

Errrrr..... See above post, are some people really this naive???[/quote]What UC said [Y] What is so hard to grasp ''Canaries Utd''?