Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

OT ish - Premier League wages still mad, slightly madder than last season.

Think you will find that Man City tickets will be cheaper than ours!

Even getting to Wolves level of salaries that means that Norwich''s salary bill will triple - with a restiction on number of squad players it means most players salaries will triple from one season to another - don''t begrudge them if that is where its contained at but would be worried if we paid more in the end than Wolves did.  If nothing else this would suggest the transfer / salaries pot of £48 million that is left following Vaughan and Morison''s acquisition is less than £10 million, even with Johnson being a free.  Can we squeeze four more decent players out of that and still leave some money for January?  Certainly any signings are not going to be in the realms of Henderson and Jones are they?

I''m a novice of the utmost degree with a spreadsheet in front of me, so

much of what i say on the matter of finances is tomfoolery - but even i found that to be an interesting read Blah.Thanks.

[quote user="shefcanary"]Even getting to Wolves level of salaries that means that Norwich''s salary bill will triple - with a restiction on number of squad players it means most players salaries will triple from one season to another - don''t begrudge them if that is where its contained at but would be worried if we paid more in the end than Wolves did.  If nothing else this would suggest the transfer / salaries pot of £48 million that is left following Vaughan and Morison''s acquisition is less than £10 million, even with Johnson being a free.  Can we squeeze four more decent players out of that and still leave some money for January?  Certainly any signings are not going to be in the realms of Henderson and Jones are they?[/quote]Pardon if i''m making a misstep here, but it doesn''t seem to be that you''re accounting for income beyond the endowment payments that come with Premier League football? From my very vague understanding, where i have little to believe beyond what is posted on this board with respect to the finances of the club, we make approximately £14 million to £17 million income per annum, i believe? This is not yet considering the general boost of capital running through the club by competing in the Premier League, that should bring about some parity when it comes to subsidising the wages.I can understand that our profit margins are somewhat encumbered by the market; though in the broadest sense the terrain doesn''t seem as harsh as how you depict it. Perhaps?That is unless i''m missing something? I probably have, which is why i''ve been routinely apologetic.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]This reads like Robert Peston isn''t a particularly big fan of football, but he makes a good few points in this blog entry.  In terms of results from money put in, he reckons that in the season before last, Wolves were the most successful club in the Premier League.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-13711054
[/quote]

blah, you may well be right, in the sense that Pesto is an Arsenal supporter!

What is missing from that Pesto piece is the wage-to-turnover ratio highlighted in the Indy article quoted by Herman. Wages in themselves are often meaningless; they can only be properly assessed in relation to turnover.

As for Norwich, in the League One promotion season (the latest in terms of accounts), our player wage costs were only 40 per cent of turnover. However our overall wage costs (ie for all the staff) were 72 per cent of turnover, and that is the figure one should use when making comparisons with other clubs, because their ratio figures are for overall wage costs rather than just player wage costs.

The general point is that in the Premier League a greater proportion of overall wage costs is made up of player wage costs than is the case lower down the leagues. 

I''m assuming from the comments from the chairman and CEO that the off-pitch income / expenditure will remain static this season, with any TV money coming in going straight into the budget for transfer fees & wages.  This stance if it occurs should be applauded, but may still not be enough, as the likes of Portsmouth, Hull, West Ham and Birmingham will testify.  Tough old league this.If we can survive in this league until the financial fair play rules come into force, then we have a real opportunity to become Premiership regulars.