Sign in to follow this  
NCFC4LIFE

New GK is vital for the PL season!

Gotta agree with the OP on this. Ruddy, although a very good shot stopper is going to get found out in the Prem.

Anyone who says he is commanding and marshalls his defence can''t be actually watching Ruddy, the lad doesn''t say a word while he''s rooted to his line! (Unfortunately being a keeper myself, I can''t help but study exactly what keepers are doing/saying)

I''d take Westwood in an instant, especially on a free. If we had to pay for a keeper, Lee Camp or Adam Federici would be my choices

Ruddy will be fine, but I do agree, we need a new goalkeeper. Every position should have competion for places.

My first choice for defence would be Right back, Goal keeper & Centre half.   (think I''ve spent about 10 million there !)

About the Swansea penalty...Well he did save the penalty, which is a big plus (and something FF never did) and if I remember rightly, his defence was playing far too high a line and allowed either Dyer or Sinclair to get one on one with Ruddy, He wouldn''t have been sent off, as the winger was heading away from goal, anyone could''ve seen that.The Forest goal at home is summed up by Don Goodman perfectly in the comentary: any other goalkeeper except the ultra-ultra cautious would''ve tried to play the ball up to his team mate. If you can find the Sky commentary, listen to it. Don defends Ruddy''s decision really well.What you have not highlighted on is how Ruddy has always improved upon his mistakes. After the Forest home game he became a much more solid kicker and more aware of the players around him. He''s much more cautious and will probably never make the same mistake again. Ruddy also improved how he came to collect crosses. Early on, Norwich were hopeless and defending crosses and corners and free kicks launched into the box. The Defenders couldn''t win everything and Ruddy didn''t want to collect the ball. At some point in the season Ruddy changed this and is a very capable and commanding presence in his own penalty area.Yes, Ruddy has made mistakes and some are horrendous mistakes, but Ruddy doesn''t hide from his mistakes and he rarely (if ever) makes the same mistake twice and will always highlight his weaknesses and improve. And really, everyone makes mistakes, it''s all about making sure you don''t make the same mistake again and Ruddy makes sure he doesn''t and that''s all you can really ask of him, isn''t it?

[quote user="BigGreenStoppingMachine"]Gotta agree with the OP on this. Ruddy, although a very good shot stopper is going to get found out in the Prem. Anyone who says he is commanding and marshalls his defence can''t be actually watching Ruddy, the lad doesn''t say a word while he''s rooted to his line! (Unfortunately being a keeper myself, I can''t help but study exactly what keepers are doing/saying) I''d take Westwood in an instant, especially on a free. If we had to pay for a keeper, Lee Camp or Adam Federici would be my choices[/quote]

---

BGSM, what became apparent on the other recent thread on this subject ("John Ruddy") is that posters who have actually played in goal, as you do and I did many years ago, don''t rate Ruddy, because they know to look for more than mere shot-stopping. They look at command of the area (or lack of it in this case) and positional sense etc.

[quote user="swindoncanary"]

Ruddy will be fine, but I do agree, we need a new goalkeeper. Every position should have competion for places.

My first choice for defence would be Right back, Goal keeper & Centre half.   (think I''ve spent about 10 million there !)

[/quote]Not sure I totally agree with this "Goalie must have strong competition" line.  If there''s one position where you want contiuity it''s you goalie, so the defense always know who''s in control and marshalling them.  The last thing you want is a goalie nervous that if he makes a mistake he might lose his place so pulling out of 50/50s etc.  I know the argument is the other way, if they have competiton they''ll try harder, but it''s not like an outfield player. A goalie can''t run around and close people down, get in to great space and all the other things players do to prove that they want their place.I think Ruddy will do fine in goal for us, I think getting in another goalie as cover, especially FF, will just ruin his confidence.  He admited at the start of the season that he was struggling in the shadow of FF and as another poster wrote he needs the backing of the fans.  And tbh I reckon if you look at any other gk in the league you''ll probably be able to find a similar number of mistakes.  So let''s spend our money strengthening the defense infront of him.

Thank god Paul Lambert is not such a sentimental sap as many of our fans appear to be. Some of you seem to think he should stay just because he is part of the team that got us promoted, but what about the players that Morrison, Vaughan, Bennet & Johnson are replacing? Should we not have signed those players?Look I would be happy enough if we go with Ruddy next season, but if

there is the possibility of getting someone better why not? No one

player is more important than the team!In my opinion Fraser Forster is better and if we could afford him and Newcastle want to sell him and he wants to come then fantastic, we should sign him and Ruddy can be backup.

For God sake, not this again!

Ruddy as done very well and there is no need to replace him!

Is FF really better than Ruddy? I dont think so, a good season in League One and a decent season in the SPL which under no circumstances (Just look at Middlesborough for proof) is a better standard than the Championship.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

This got me thinking, out of curiosity how many people believed Matt Gilks would have performed as well as he did last season?

[/quote]

I thought he had it in him, and posted so at the time - I was disappointed when grant signed marshall for so much money having just signed gilkes - as I understand it on the basis he was going to play. Poor decision when the £900k or whatever it was was so desperately needed elswehere at the time.

Jesus fu@&£&g wept, this is really getting beyond a joke now.

JOHN RUDDY WAS THE MAN BETWEEN THE STICKS OF A PROMOTED SIDE. AS SUCH HE DESERVES THE CHANCE IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE AS MUCH AS HOLT, MARTIN ETC.

HOOLAHAN MADE PLENTY OF MISTAKES LAST SEASON, MISSED PENALTIES, GIVING THE BALL AWAY. HOLT MISSED HIS FAIR SHARE OF SITTERS. FOX ONCE GAVE THE BALL AWAY AND WE CONCEDED A GOAL.

DO THESE GUYS NEED TO BE REPLACED AS WELL?

Norwich City does not need your kind of support mate so I suggest you go back to Football Manager.

John Ruddy is our keeper and deserves 100% to be our No.1 next season.

Rant over.

Forgot to mention FF.

It is utterly moronic to suggest Forster is more qualified and a better bet for next season than Ruddy based on one good season in League 1 and the SPL, which is the equal of the Championship.

David James has a a career littered with the odd mistake but rose to the very top. Keepers make mistakes, deal with it. Doesn''t mean there not good enough.

I thought Ruddy was solid enough and would rather spend the money elsewhere than a first choice keeper.

We DO need cover for him - I am not entirely comfortable with Rudd sitting on the bench; but its not the most pressing signing and if we have to rely on Rudd I will be nervous but I am sure it will be fine!

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I thought Ruddy was solid enough and would rather spend the money elsewhere than a first choice keeper. We DO need cover for him - I am not entirely comfortable with Rudd sitting on the bench; but its not the most pressing signing and if we have to rely on Rudd I will be nervous but I am sure it will be fine![/quote]

I would agree with that but would add that cover from an older, experienced keeper could be beneficial all round. Remember John Ruddy is still only 24, which is young for a keeper. An older keeper could not only provide cover but could also pass on his experience and knowledge.

Somebody, perhaps, in the mould of Marcus Hahnemann or Maik Taylor?

I''m prepared to wait and see what happens as regards the goalkeeper''s position. If Lambo decides to replace Ruddy, fair enough. If he decides to stick with Ruddy, then I trust in his judgment as he has made very few mistakes over two seasons. I would just add that Ruddy never seemed to be rated below a 6 out of 10 in all the newspapers last season, so he couldn''t have done too much wrong.

anyone who thinks Ruddy Drops clangers clearly cant remember David Marshall! the worst goalkeeper to have ever played for us bar none... and i include Simon Tracey in that.Marshall was an accident waiting to happen and was one of the main reasons we got relegated, the defence had no confidence playing infront of him, ergo the midfield lacked the confidence to push forwards and had to help the defence out.Derby at home, Wolves away, Cardiff at home, and many more spring to mind... Theoklitos was awful for 1 game... Simon Tracey made 2 huge mistakes... David Marshall was sh*t for the best part of 2 years for us...