Sign in to follow this  
NCFC4LIFE

New GK is vital for the PL season!

After watching the season review it is clear to see that Ruddy is a solid keeper but makes far too many errors. If we have any realistic chance of staying up next year there is no doubt we need a more experience keeper. Ruddy had spells last year to show he has potential but the Prem is an unforgiving league and i think we would be punished by his inconsistency.I think obviously FF if we can get him and i fancy Marcus Hahnemann on a free. Really positive stuff with the early signings love how Lambert gets his business done straight away, clearly excited for the next season ahead. Especially looking forward to seeing Vaughan and Bennett playing.OTBC

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]After watching the season review it is clear to see that Ruddy is a solid keeper but makes far too many errors. If we have any realistic chance of staying up next year there is no doubt we need a more experience keeper. Ruddy had spells last year to show he has potential but the Prem is an unforgiving league and i think we would be punished by his inconsistency.

I think obviously FF if we can get him and i fancy Marcus Hahnemann on a free.

Really positive stuff with the early signings love how Lambert gets his business done straight away, clearly excited for the next season ahead. Especially looking forward to seeing Vaughan and Bennett playing.

OTBC
[/quote]

I agree that it would be benificial to have a more experienced keeper in the squad, but how does FF fall into that category compared to Ruddy?

When people say things like the premiership is an unforgiving league they make it sound like a championship player would miss the goal if a keeper dropped the ball at his feet!

Having said that, I do agree with your point that JR does make the odd mistake but who doesn''t? It''s just if a mistake is made by the keeper it generally get''s punished. Maybe an experienced keeper on the bench would suffice then if JR doesn''t cut it let the old timer show him how it is done!

Lots of players make mistakes but we don''t want to replace them! For example, Russell Martin misplace''s the odd pass or fails to beat the 1st man on a lot of his crosses but we all still love the Norfolk Cafuuuuuuu don''t we!?

I do like Ruddy, and he is a good goalie. However you''re right, he does make mistakes, and making mistakes can cost us alot.

Michaela.x

I dont think you can get a much higher profile game than Gers vs Celtic, seemed to cope (although he did get sent off and gave a pen away) haha. I also think FF is an exception to the rule, purely goes down to his pedigree as a GK. Big future and would be a real coop if we gained his signature coup.

What, there aren''t already existing threads about Ruddy?

What''s up, where they too positive and you felt you had to start your own?

Ruddy had a shaky start, gained confidence, has loads of potential, commands his defence, good shot stopper, maybe his positional play not the best but on the other hand he does what PL says - plays out from the back. When he kicks it''s pretty accurate, and is bound to have his Calamity James moments in the furture.

Kept 11 clean sheets last season. How much did you want to spend and do you really think we''ll get a Van der Sar for that much? er...no....

Grant the Cat i understand what your saying but if you actually watch the season back he made at least a dozen really poor mistakes, this happened especially early on, but there were one or two towards the end of the season (Watford,Forest)This whole, ''players deserve a chance'' because they got us there is a load of old crap, and thankfully we have a manager in PL who doesnt have this philosophy, we need to move away from this nice family club reputaion we have adopted over the years and become tougher by making decisions fans and players dont like. This doesnt mean im not thankful for all of the hard work our championship team put it.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]Grant the Cat i understand what your saying but if you actually watch the season back he made at least a dozen really poor mistakes, this happened especially early on, but there were one or two towards the end of the season (Watford,Forest)

This whole, ''players deserve a chance'' because they got us there is a load of old crap, and thankfully we have a manager in PL who doesnt have this philosophy, we need to move away from this nice family club reputaion we have adopted over the years and become tougher by making decisions fans and players dont like. This doesnt mean im not thankful for all of the hard work our championship team put it.

[/quote]

99 out of 100 times the Forest goal wouldn''t have gom=ne in. If you can make a list of 12 mistakes Ruddy made last season (not including pre-season) I will agree with you.

Ruddy will be fine in the Prem. But... if we were to get a keeper in i''d look at Westwood on a free from Coventry.

[quote user="Grant the Cat"]When people say things like the premiership is an unforgiving league they make it sound like a championship player would miss the goal if a keeper dropped the ball at his feet! Having said that, I do agree with your point that JR does make the odd mistake but who doesn''t? It''s just if a mistake is made by the keeper it generally get''s punished. Maybe an experienced keeper on the bench would suffice then if JR doesn''t cut it let the old timer show him how it is done! Lots of players make mistakes but we don''t want to replace them! For example, Russell Martin misplace''s the odd pass or fails to beat the 1st man on a lot of his crosses but we all still love the Norfolk Cafuuuuuuu don''t we!?[/quote]

We do now but there used to be an awful lot who didn''t.

NCFC4LIFE - as I have posted elsewhere, we ARE a family club and PL makes every one of the players feel that they are part of the NCFC family - that''s why they give him 100% effort 100% of the time.

As far as goalkeeper mistakes are concerned - we do have a bit of history with Notts Forest on this - witness Rob Green''s gaffe .......

[quote user="The Chirp"]Ruddy will be fine in the Prem.

But... if we were to get a keeper in i''d look at Westwood on a free from Coventry.
[/quote]

Spot on. Nice to see you around again Chirp.

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]Grant the Cat i understand what your saying but if you actually watch the season back he made at least a dozen really poor mistakes, this happened especially early on, but there were one or two towards the end of the season (Watford,Forest)

This whole, ''players deserve a chance'' because they got us there is a load of old crap, and thankfully we have a manager in PL who doesnt have this philosophy, we need to move away from this nice family club reputaion we have adopted over the years and become tougher by making decisions fans and players dont like. This doesnt mean im not thankful for all of the hard work our championship team put it.

[/quote]

I thought we were doing that already, e.g. sale of Nelson. There is one person and one person only who will make the ultimate decision and he will certainly not pay any regard to the opinion of fans. As well as being tough, PL also treats the players properly and with respect. That is why they are prepared to run through brick walls and spill blood for him.

It was a back pass he could of picked the ball up, it was a mistake!Everton (h) friendlyWatfold  (h) 1st goal near postSwansea (h)  Pen, might of been sent off.Leicester (h) near post fumbleLeeds (h) gradel weak shotLeicester (a) header should of done betterWatford (a) Graham''s shot was tameForest (h) pick the ball up!!Look he improved for sure but watch the season review and you will see for yourself, there are more just cant think of them as i havnt got the dvd to hand, me and my friend counted at least 10-12 shockers

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]It was a back pass he could of picked the ball up, it was a mistake!

Everton (h) friendly
Watfold  (h) 1st goal near post
Swansea (h)  Pen, might of been sent off.
Leicester (h) near post fumble
Leeds (h) gradel weak shot
Leicester (a) header should of done better
Watford (a) Graham''s shot was tame
Forest (h) pick the ball up!!

Look he improved for sure but watch the season review and you will see for yourself, there are more just cant think of them as i havnt got the dvd to hand, me and my friend counted at least 10-12 shockers

[/quote]

Now can you add up the number of crucial saves he made and how many points he earned us last season? Or perhaps you haven''t considered that side of things.

Personally, I''m fine with Ruddy as our number one, but I still reckon we need another keeper- mainly because it will help the development of Rudd and Steer. We could loan either one or both of them out to get first-team football, and if they stay, they have another experienced keeper to learn from.

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]Personally, I''m fine with Ruddy as our number one, but I still reckon we need another keeper- mainly because it will help the development of Rudd and Steer. We could loan either one or both of them out to get first-team football, and if they stay, they have another experienced keeper to learn from.
[/quote]

It is and always has been important that every player is under pressure to keep his place in the side. I imagine that another experienced keeper to compete with JR will arrive soon.

I like Ruddy and I think he came back strongly from a really shaky start, but he does need competition and Rudd isn''t it.

I know I''ll get shouted down, and I know his distribution is not as good as Ruddy''s, but I''d like to see Forster back.

Just my opinion but there are a number of occasions that Ruddy let in a goal last season that, while not a clanger, really could have been stopped.

For instance: Watford''s first goal (h), Leeds (h), Burnley second goal (h), Watford first goal (a)

You have to remember that he''s going to be faced with a lot more to do next season, he will have to be more solid if he''s going to be first choice. If not, he''ll cost us points.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]Personally, I''m fine with Ruddy as our number one, but I still reckon we need another keeper- mainly because it will help the development of Rudd and Steer. We could loan either one or both of them out to get first-team football, and if they stay, they have another experienced keeper to learn from.[/quote]

It is and always has been important that every player is under pressure to keep his place in the side. I imagine that another experienced keeper to compete with JR will arrive soon.

[/quote]And that as well, obviously. Hahnemann is the pretty much the perfect option who ticks all the boxes. But I reckon he''ll have loads of offers.

[quote user="Mahogany"]Wessi cost us the title with 2 of his mistakes, does that mean it is vital to replace him too?[/quote]

This got me thinking, out of curiosity how many people believed Matt Gilks would have performed as well as he did last season?

The season review of a promotion season is hardly gonna be full of our keeper pulling us out of trouble is it? He won us more points than he lost.... made some great saves..... great distribution... he got a couple of assists last year with his quick thinking ffs

forget forster.... or if you have to keep remembering him at least remember he can''t take a place kick...i''m sure beckford will remember

Ruddy will be fine for me. He''s only going to keep getting better the more he plays, as he''s proved last season.

Although this bugs me:

"Swansea (h) Pen, might of been sent off."

Are you forgetting that he went on to save the penalty, and it proved to be a turning point in the match that we went on to win 2-0. Seems harsh to pick out mistakes from games when we won the sodding match.

[quote user="Webbo118"]

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]It was a back pass he could of picked the ball up, it was a mistake!

Everton (h) friendly

Look he improved for sure but watch the season review and you will see for yourself, there are more just cant think of them as i havnt got the dvd to hand, me and my friend counted at least 10-12 shockers

[/quote]

Now can you add up the number of crucial saves he made and how many points he earned us last season? Or perhaps you haven''t considered that side of things.

[/quote]

NCFC4LIFE is spot on with his assesement at the start of this thread. Ruddy is ok, but he is prone to too many errors. Yes he has made some crucial saves this season (as do most goalkeepers), but so did FF last season, although FF barely made any mistakes!! I would certainly say that FF won us far more points than John Ruddy.

It would be brilliant if we could get Forster back next season, as I feel he is a top class keeper. I don''t really understand why he is not number 1 at Newcastle. Hopefully their mistake can be our gain!

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]It was a back pass he could of picked the ball up, it was a mistake!Everton (h) friendlyWatfold  (h) 1st goal near postSwansea (h)  Pen, might of been sent off.Leicester (h) near post fumbleLeeds (h) gradel weak shotLeicester (a) header should of done betterWatford (a) Graham''s shot was tameForest (h) pick the ball up!!Look he improved for sure but watch the season review and you will see for yourself, there are more just cant think of them as i havnt got the dvd to hand, me and my friend counted at least 10-12 shockers

[/quote]You''ve listed a penalty that he saved, which then sung the momentum of the game so we got the victory, as a mistake [:^)]If he didn''t save that penalty we would of finished on less points then Swansea & not got auto promotion. He should never play again because of that costly mistake! [:@]

Fraser Forster will NOT be coming here trust me!!

Newcastle don''t want to sell him + he looks set for a season long loan to Hull City :(

Just been watching the season review again in light of this discussion and noticed wes missed a couple vital of penalties, Holt put a couple of headers wide and missed a chance that nearly cost us promotion against Portsmouth......

Everton (h) friendly

[/quote]

Firstly that''s 7 in the full season no point counting friendly''s they mean bugger all!

Eustace- the 1st watford goal was a fierce shot through a crowd of players, most likely unsighted

Swansea pen was a through ball that caught our defence napping,  there was little he could do but come out and try and stop sinclair, who is by the way just about the fastest player in the league, plus he saved the damn penalty what more can you ask him to do?

You also seem to forget the fact that Forster was sent off twice in the 2009/10 season, by your logic surely that makes him an inferior keeper? added to that his poor kicking along the ground which also cost us points surely makes the case for Fraser less compelling (although i''m not saying he''s a bad keeper by any stretch of the imagination).

Gradel - could have done better agreed,

Waghorn''s goal at home to Leicester - a big mistake no denying it

Wellens goal away to Leicester - it''s debatable, he got a hand to it but not enough to put it over or round, hardly a shocker though

Graham - it wasn''t the most powerful but he''s a big guy and it was along the ground close to his legs, therefore difficult to get down to, i can''t see FF doing any better.

Tyson''s goal was an error of judgement but an absolute freak and 99 times out of a hundred would have gone out for a goal kick or a throw in

Therefore perhaps 3 where he got something on a shot/header but not enough to keep it out so possibly could have done better and only 2 genuine shockers one of which you''re only likely to see once every couple of seasons if at all.

I really can''t see what the fuss is about, he''s pulled off some stunning saves, is very comfortable under high balls and crosses, and has excellent distribution. In short he''s a great keeper working behind an occasionally porous defence. Yes in likelihood we need another keeper to come in as competition/cover but to say he''s a disaster wating to happen or that FF is significantly better is an absolute fallacy.

[quote user="Nigel Worthless"][quote user="Webbo118"]

Everton (h) friendly

[/quote]

[/quote]

NCFC4LIFE is spot on with his assesement at the start of this thread. Ruddy is ok, but he is prone to too many errors. Yes he has made some crucial saves this season (as do most goalkeepers), but so did FF last season, although FF barely made any mistakes!! I would certainly say that FF won us far more points than John Ruddy.

It would be brilliant if we could get Forster back next season, as I feel he is a top class keeper. I don''t really understand why he is not number 1 at Newcastle. Hopefully their mistake can be our gain!

[/quote]

Barely made any mistakes? are you high? He made as many if not more in a worse league, plus his kicking is a liability.

Celtic fans are divided on his abilities, some think he''s great others far less convinced (guess a little bit like ruddy in that respect). Many would rather see Artur Boruc or Shay Given ahead of retaining Forster

http://www.talkceltic.net/forum/showthread.php?t=104994

To quote his agent Dean Baker at the beginning of the season... "Ruddy is only young and needs to know the crowd is on his side. He needs the confidence of the fans behind him. Once he has that, he''ll go on to be a very good keeper for Norwich."I agree with all of this.Ruddy grew in statue as the season went on. I was most impressed with how he didn''t let the Forest goal get to him. I think both physically and mentally he is going to turn out to be a fantastic keeper - Possibly better than Forster. I also think Ruddy will be on the England squad on merit next season (with or without the likes of Foster and Green to call upon)