Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

Ewan Chester to leave 31//08

From Canaries World:

CITY can confirm Ewan Chester is set to leave his role as Chief Scout with the Canaries on August 31 and will then be looking to pursue another scouting position involving international recruitment.

Chester joined Norwich City in May 2010 from Glasgow Rangers, having worked for more than 20 years, mainly under Walter Smith, in which time the Scottish giants won 35 domestic honours, including 15 championships. Chester also enjoyed two years in the Premier League with Fulham between 2005 and 2007.

He has helped to head up a revamped Norwich City scouting network and has agreed to stay until the end of August to assist the Club''s scouting operation during the summer transfer window. The Club will be making an announcement about a new Chief Scout in due course.

This is a great loss to the club, Chester has a great reputation in the football world

[quote user="Canary"]Chester has a great reputation in the football world[/quote]so did Glenn Roeder....in all honesty though its a shame to see Chester go.. im sure a few of our signings were first sourced by him.

From the outside it''s hard to know precisely what Ewan Chester has contributed so far. Judging by the efficiency of our early signings this summer he''s ensured some decent groundwork has been put in place.

It looks like a significant loss - but if he''s leaving for Chelsea, who can argue? His bank manager certainly won''t!

Good luck to him-a good job done restructuring our scouting network & now onto bigger and better things-suspect that, if it is Chelsea, they are looking to restructure their own in the same way as Man City have (ie) its ''ringfenced'' and protected, even if Managers come and go.

We''ll probably see Lambo and co head away one day soon  in mich the same way, just as we will reach downwards for a respected and promising successor-its the way of football.

Isn''t Alan Durban (ex-Derby) still here, him and, I think, Stuart McCall? Bet we promote from within. Butterworth has done a lot of scouting, shame about his previous connections with club.

tis a shame he is leaving, i looked upon the whole of NCFC''s staff as one strong unit since Lambert joined but people come and go

good luck to Chester - we''ll be playing you next year!

Well this is the first big part of what Lambert and McNally formed to leave the club. We def. need a Chief scout with similar credentials and certainly of the same belief patterns as Lambert. Scouting is so very important and although a system will be in place and will be unchanged it is a sad loss to lose the figure head.

Good luck Ewan, think the most annoying bit for me is the part regarding international recruitment being a reason for his departure. I have worked in the US with youth soccer and I know I have mentioned on here how their kids and young teenagers surpass many I have seen here in the UK even those starting for championship clubs.

I did work at the club briefly and did mention it, I believe to Colin Watts, at the time there was no scope to look in America. But god it is such an untapped resource of exceptional talent, that once they leave their clubs at 19 and go to college begin to see the chances are limited.

I desperately hope that if we want our club to be moving forward we do begin to scout further afield and this is certainly one country with exceptional teams who put our youth teams across to shame.

Shame to see him go, however it''s a good job that he is going to someone like Chelsea who will not be interested in any of our players, whereas someone like West Brom may fancy someone we have signed through the recommendations of Chester.

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Good luck to him-a good job done restructuring our scouting network & now onto bigger and better things-suspect that, if it is Chelsea, they are looking to restructure their own in the same way as Man City have (ie) its ''ringfenced'' and protected, even if Managers come and go.

We''ll probably see Lambo and co head away one day soon  in mich the same way, just as we will reach downwards for a respected and promising successor-its the way of football.

Isn''t Alan Durban (ex-Derby) still here, him and, I think, Stuart McCall? Bet we promote from within. Butterworth has done a lot of scouting, shame about his previous connections with club.

[/quote]

McCall left a few months ago to become Motherwell manager

Wise words from Manchester Canary above ^^^^^^^

I know that NCFC stated that Ewan Chester was available until 31st August, but the statement smacks of gardening leave to me. 

(I’ve seen there’s another Jarroldstander on here but I don’t post very often, just so we are not confused with each other, I''m not him or her)

[quote user="smooth"]Well this is the first big part of what Lambert and McNally formed to leave the club...[/quote]Is it me being thick or does this not read well? It seems to be sugesting that McNally & Lambert were set to leave the club. Errr.