Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Taylor

Canaries to sign Bradley Johnson on 3 Year Contract - Sky Sports

I agree with the opening post, spot on the money and for free is no risk.

Better than Gill, OTJ, Steven Hughes, we only have three central midfiled players without Johnson so squad cover is a must.

the other consideration must be that by not spending on a central midfielder we now have that bit more to tempt Snodgrass or loan in Lansbury for the season.

Good business and sound player if not spectacular but solid.

[quote user="Indy"]I agree with the opening post, spot on the money and for free is no risk. Better than Gill, OTJ, Steven Hughes, we only have three central midfiled players without Johnson so squad cover is a must. the other consideration must be that by not spending on a central midfielder we now have that bit more to tempt Snodgrass or loan in Lansbury for the season. Good business and sound player if not spectacular but solid.[/quote]

I raised this point the other day and also according to Leeds fans Johnson and Snodgrass are meant to be good friends which could help our position with Snodgrass himself, but thats not to say Leeds will accept any increased bid, so I''m not getting my hopes up

He''s being brought in to add a bit more bite and an engine into midfield. Other than Croftsy our current set of midfielders are ball players and potential would be over run.

People have to remember the Lambert factor as well, he''ll get the best out of Johnson, notably his energy and power whilst limiting his weaknesses.

I am concerned though that the side contains too many players with question marks at this level, obviously we want players with desire and hunger over players on the way down but realistically a few of our side will struggle to step up and a bit of experience could be vital in bridging the gap.

Isn''t he mainly left sided? With all due respect to Lappin we do need to strenghten that side within the squad

I do not think we''ll be playing the diamond anywhere near as frequently as we did in the Championship so we will need legit left & right wingers

[quote user="marvin the martian"]There''s no such thing as a bad BJ[/quote]

Even if this BJ provides some additional bite?

At Leeds Bradley Johnson had a completely different working environment.

Now he''s joined Norwich, he will benefit from more inspirational management (PL), better coaching (IC), he''ll be surrounded by more technically gifted colleagues, he''ll work at a top-quality training ground, he''ll have resounding support from passionate fans who are not living in yesteryear but in today''s modern Premiership. This club is in harmony - the one he left most certainly isn''t!

Just like Tierney, when he gets his chance he''ll come in and add some toughness to the team - when we''re playing the Stokes of this world he could be a Godsend!

PS: Those comparing BJ with Gill; isn''t BJ a left-sided midfielder and Gill a right-sided midfielder? If so, BJ''s main competition for a place is likely to be Simon Lappin and Andrew Surman.

[quote user="CambsCanary"]A big well done to whoever said on another Johnson thread that he was due a medical today (was it Crofts'' Number One Fan?).[/quote]

It was me but I was told the medical was yesterday. Perhaps it was changed but I trust my source fully. If any other medicals are scheduled I will let you all know.

Think it has been mentioned a couple of times, but Bennett is on holiday at the moment but will be unveiled next week when he returns. Everything has been signed and agreed though (Brighton have already spent the money as well).

If Johnson is having his medical today then he will probably sign on Monday or possibly over the weekend. Dependent on positive results from his medical of course.

I think Poyet said Bennett was on holiday so no personal terms have been done yet so unless we hold back Johnson I doubt it. Would like to see them be unveiled with the away kit though.

If they both do sign.

The magic number is 4 out of the 7 DONE!

Who are next? Which positions?

I really think we need 5 centre backs, Whitbread, Barnett, Ward.

Ward was ok last year, but he will be down pecking order. Possibly re-sign Rob Edwards permanent? Would have loved Matt Mills.

Maybe x2 Centre backs and goalkeeper

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

A lot of young fans will have no idea who the real Benny is?

[/quote]

And here he is now...

[IMG]http://i53.tinypic.com/ftgbbo.jpg[/IMG]

Oh, slack reading by me! Didn''t know Bennett was on his hols. So is that 4 players for 6.5 million? Still hopefully some more money in the kitty for the remaining 3?

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]

At Leeds Bradley Johnson had a completely different working environment.

Now he''s joined Norwich, he will benefit from more inspirational management (PL), better coaching (IC), he''ll be surrounded by more technically gifted colleagues, he''ll work at a top-quality training ground, he''ll have resounding support from passionate fans who are not living in yesteryear but in today''s modern Premiership. This club is in harmony - the one he left most certainly isn''t!

Just like Tierney, when he gets his chance he''ll come in and add some toughness to the team - when we''re playing the Stokes of this world he could be a Godsend!

PS: Those comparing BJ with Gill; isn''t BJ a left-sided midfielder and Gill a right-sided midfielder? If so, BJ''s main competition for a place is likely to be Simon Lappin and Andrew Surman.

[/quote]

Yeah I think BJ is a left sided midfielder who plays on the left of two in the center of midfield. So I would presume in general as it stands, Surman/Lappin will still be regarded as the main competition for left wing, but if we are playing a straight 4-4-2, Johnson would partner Crofts in the center.

"PS: Those comparing BJ with Gill; isn''t BJ a left-sided midfielder and Gill a right-sided midfielder? If so, BJ''s main competition for a place is likely to be Simon Lappin and Andrew Surman."

Yes, BJ is left-footed. The point that I (and I believe others) was making was that replacing Gill with BJ would incrementally strengthen the squad, not a particular position.

That is because BJ is very versatile. At Leeds he has played left midfield, left wing and central midfield. Last season, he also filled in a few times at left-back for Leeds, so would be handy back-up there.

[quote user="Chelmsford Canary"] Ward was ok last year, but he will be down pecking order. [/quote]

Ward will be no more down the pecking order than Barnett or Whitbread.

He started 39 of 46 league games and only injury kept him out of the team.

I think it''d be very surprising if he''s not a big part of the managers plans for the coming season.

Bradley Johnson seems to have been having a medical for hours!

Come on, hurry up, I can''t go a day without us signing anyone.

They will probably wait and announce the signing of Johnson and Bennett at the same time. AFAIK, we have sorted everything but personal details with both, so expect them to be unveiled tomorrow I presume.

[quote user="crabbycanary"]

Bradley Johnson seems to have been having a medical for hours!

Come on, hurry up, I can''t go a day without us signing anyone.

[/quote]

We''ve obviously had to sack the doctor and get another one in....[;)]

Signing Johnson is sound business and strengthens the squad. Again a signing that gives us options.

He has the same potential as Crofts and Fox. All have performed well last season and none are proven at the next level up.

What we have now is three midfielders who could be premiership quality and so PL has hedged his bets well - the chances are that not all of them will make the step up in class, we have cover and options if one does not make it. Who will succeed at NCFC in PL under PL is an unknown; so statements such as so and so is def prem class and Johnson is not good enough are as pointless as each other - none of know for sure.

Not being able to add to your squad between 1 Sept & 1st Jan even with loan signings means you have to have those options in your squad now.

Well done PL - carry on; but am still looking forward to that signing with a little extra pizzazz ;-)