Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Taylor

Canaries to sign Bradley Johnson on 3 Year Contract - Sky Sports

This is the first time one of Lambert''s signings has simply made me think "meh".

But, in Lambert we trust, and all that.  Just because old misery guts Grayson can''t get the best out of a player, doesn''t mean the Messiah won''t be able to!

I like this signing, he''s young, gifted and pretty versatile..... he has played in central midfield, left back and left midfield. There have been a few negative comments from Leeds fans but this could be due to the fact he refused a new contract.....a friend of mine is a ticket holder up at Elland Road and he says he''s a solid player and a bargain as a free.

Might this make Snodgrass be a tad more inclined to want move as well? I''m sure it helps ease the decision if you already know someone at a new club. I''m sure Johnson and Snodgrass will be talking to one another.

My thoughts exactly EM!

.....meh (shrug).

He seemed to be a "right place at the right time" man from midfield when he scored past us at Elland Road, but he seemed to be pretty average for the rest of the game.

Uninspiring, but I trust Lambert knows what he''s doing. I do wonder whether we would have bid £1m plus if he wasn''t on a free.....

[quote user="Jules"]Might this make Snodgrass be a tad more inclined to want move as well? I''m sure it helps ease the decision if you already know someone at a new club. I''m sure Johnson and Snodgrass will be talking to one another.
[/quote]

also just as a side thought, does anyone think that the fact we have got one of our signings without any need of a transfer fee, this then frees up some money for Lambert if he wants to increase the Snodgrass bid?

Lambert will make Johnson into an awesome player exactly like he has with Crofts.

He''s hungry, gives everything on the pitch, gets stuck in and pops up with a few goals.

With Bennett likely to come in and a new kit on wednesday I couldn''t be any happier! I''m still expecting one big signing like with Surman though. Spending 1.2m on one player after just being promoted I think was brave and all the fees so far seem to be reasonable I just hope we''re saving for that 5-6m pound man!

We have to look at the overall picture, and if we want to play a combative midfielder who gets stuck in and keeps running, then Johnson is a good option.Crofts is always going to be first choice for the role, but if injuries or suspensions strike, we need a steady replacement to come in to play the role and that''s what this signing would give us.Also, you can hardly complain about the price, and again, he''s at the right age and looking to move up.Nothing spectacular, but it can often be these types of signings that make the difference as against the ''marquee'' players...

2005–2008 Northampton Town 53apps (8 goals)

2008–2011 Leeds United 116 apps (16 goals)

They are some good stats!

Johnson will have Crofts place in no time.

Leeds fan here,

Looks to be a done deal this. Also you may like to know that Johnson and Snodgrass live in the same complex in Leeds and are good friends, but whether or not you offer the 5 million asking price for Rob, remains to be seen; he is definitely worth it and is without doubt one of the best players in the Championship. He is so much more than just a winger and is able to play in a more advanced role and could play at the tip of your diamond or up front if required; however his best position is on the right wing where he can cut inside onto his left foot, and cause all sorts of problems with his close control and skill.

As all Leeds fans will tell you, Johnson is far from the finished article, he beefed up last season and he''s a tough sort of player, but he''s a poor tackler and his passing is not fantastic, but he does like to burst forward and drift into wide areas and get decent crosses into the box. He needs to improve on his shooting though as 9 times out of 10 his long range drives will end up in row Z.

In summary to get Johnson on a free transfer is not much of a risk, he will either flop or flourish, i wouldn''t expect him to be a regular starter for you, but would be decent backup to Surman. I''d be gutted if we lost Snoddy as he''s a top drawer player, but if we actually use the 5 million to bring in some top players it could be a shrewd deal for both parties.

Best of luck in the 2011/2012 season.

[quote user="Thisisbabyish"]2005–2008 Northampton Town 53apps (8 goals)

2008–2011 Leeds United 116 apps (16 goals)

They are some good stats!

Johnson will have Crofts place in no time.[/quote]

Crofts and Johnson are different players. Johnson is more an attacking player, we didn''t have a proper defensive midfield player last year so Johnson played a more defensive role, which he admitted he wasn''t that keen on but due to his versatility and willingness to play every game he fit in there. In your diamond he would play on the left side of the midfield two, he likes to make bursting runs forward and drift out wide and get crosses in. He can also play left back and left midfield if possible but centre midfield is his natural and best position (not in a holding role)

Thanks for your comments and best wishes, lufc1983.

Regardless of my own thoughts on the player, I''m willing to trust Lambert''s judgement over mine, just this once... [;)]

The way Lambert''s signings are shaping up, I think one word is going to describe our squad this coming season... OPTIONS!

cheers lufc1983! yeah hopefully you''ll invest in some new players if we do get snoddy as I''ve seen you haven''t seen any of the money you got for delph. I swear he hasn''t playe over 10 times for villa.

I think Lambert knows we need a few robust players in the midfield area this season if we''re to compete. Johnson isn''t technically the greatest player but does have other qualities, he''s a strong & powerful, box-to-box player who gets stuck in. Very much in the Crofts mold but left sided rather than right.

If anybody knew Lambert, you''d know how good he was at spotting players with the right attributes for particular roles within a side but also hide their weaknesses.

Free transfer, young, hungry and on the back of a good season at Championship level.

I can see Johnson being used from the bench to alter the tempo of matches when we''re maybe looking sluggish and him being asked to get stuck in and play quick short passes to help get us on the front foot. Alternatively, he could also be deployed as a man marker for the likes of Taarabt coming from deep who can hurt us if not kept a close eye on.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I think Lambert knows we need a few robust players in the midfield area this season if we''re to compete. Johnson isn''t technically the greatest player but does have other qualities, he''s a strong & powerful, box-to-box player who gets stuck in. Very much in the Crofts mold but left sided rather than right. If anybody knew Lambert, you''d know how good he was at spotting players with the right attributes for particular roles within a side but also hide their weaknesses. Free transfer, young, hungry and on the back of a good season at Championship level.[/quote]

I think that''s the real key here. The fact is that, notwithstanding some of the negative comments from Leeds fans (and, by the way  thanks and good luck to the two guys who''ve made constructive comments on this thread), Johnson was pretty much ever present in a Leeds team which narrowly missed the playoffs, so on a free he''s got to be worth a gamble. I accept that he''s not a marquee signing, but I would suggest that he will offer a better left side alternative than Lappin at Prem level and his versatility will be very handy in a 25 man squad.

A few times last season when Fox was unavailable for whatever reason, we lacked another player to sit in that DM role and break up play so had to put Crofts there, therefore losing his attacking play which alone won us games. Johnson is young, hungry, physically great and for free I think a fairly reasonable addition.

How many times have we seen Lambert turn players from lower levels who we all think "Oh... we''re signing him? He''s alright but nothing special..." into key players for us. I have full faith he can do this again :)

Just what we need with only Lappin, Drury and Tierney to cover left back we were short. At right back we have a wealth of options of course..............................

In all seriousness it looks like he has been signed as a versatile covering player, just wish he could play right back though

Young with his best years still to come. Comes from a top championship club for free when they clearly wanted to keep him as they offered him a new contract. Might help persuade Snodgrass assuming he needs persuading. Dont forget too Lambert and his crew make players better you have to look at the potential for the lad to improve as well

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I think Lambert knows we need a few robust players in the midfield area this season if we''re to compete. Johnson isn''t technically the greatest player but does have other qualities, he''s a strong & powerful, box-to-box player who gets stuck in. Very much in the Crofts mold but left sided rather than right.

If anybody knew Lambert, you''d know how good he was at spotting players with the right attributes for particular roles within a side but also hide their weaknesses.

Free transfer, young, hungry and on the back of a good season at Championship level.[/quote]Well said TRENT... [Y]I would be pleased with this signing on a FREE transfer, as we can''t be spending £3 million or so on every player.  It is about prioritising what we need and spotting what would benefit the team and the squad as a whole with the money you have at your disposal.  This is why Steve Morison was a better signing for us than Danny Graham or Craig Mackail Smith would''ve been in my book and why I consider the possible arrival of Elliot Bennett as an inspired choice.Like you say above, Lambert''s ability to spot players and mould them in to exactly what he wants to be a successful part of a successful squad is a very rare talent.  The way Lambert and Culverhouse work together on this, reminds me of Cloughie and Taylor who never gave a monkeys about what those with the "unlearned eye" thought, they were too busy making Rolls Royces out of scrap iron.It''s all about the team and Bradley Johnson will make a good addition to the squad in my opinion.  Maybe he won''t ever be a world beater, but he will give us other options to what we currently have and he won''t be costing the earth.

Hey Rob, I get what you''re saying about er BJ, a regular starter for Leeds but one that has never impressed me bar that superb strike against Arsenal. So naturally, I wouldn''t be initially as optimistic about this potential signing. However, Sir Lambert is something else and if anyone can get the best out of a player it''s him. If we were to sign him, I''m certainly not one of these posters that would be looking to see him fail. Far, far from it - If he''s here next season and pulling on the yellow and green, then as with every other NCFC player, he would have my 110% backing. He''s fairly young, and Lambert''s identified something in him that he likes - That''s good enough for me!. Keeping fingers crossed for Snodgrass aswell... An interesting week ahead.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I think Lambert knows we need a few robust players in the midfield area this season if we''re to compete. Johnson isn''t technically the greatest player but does have other qualities, he''s a strong & powerful, box-to-box player who gets stuck in. Very much in the Crofts mold but left sided rather than right. If anybody knew Lambert, you''d know how good he was at spotting players with the right attributes for particular roles within a side but also hide their weaknesses. Free transfer, young, hungry and on the back of a good season at Championship level.[/quote]

Well said TRENT... [Y]

I would be pleased with this signing on a FREE transfer, as we can''t be spending £3 million or so on every player.  It is about prioritising what we need and spotting what would benefit the team and the squad as a whole with the money you have at your disposal.  This is why Steve Morison was a better signing for us than Danny Graham or Craig Mackail Smith would''ve been in my book and why I consider the possible arrival of Elliot Bennett as an inspired choice.

Like you say above, Lambert''s ability to spot players and mould them in to exactly what he wants to be a successful part of a successful squad is a very rare talent.  The way Lambert and Culverhouse work together on this, reminds me of Cloughie and Taylor who never gave a monkeys about what those with the "unlearned eye" thought, they were too busy making Rolls Royces out of scrap iron.

It''s all about the team and Bradley Johnson will make a good addition to the squad in my opinion.  Maybe he won''t ever be a world beater, but he will give us other options to what we currently have and he won''t be costing the earth.
[/quote]

So would you play him ahead of Lappin then Smudge? [;)]

We have just moved on Gill, OTJ will not be playing, Hughes is likely to move, Korey Smith is not as good as Adeyemi, but both are unlikely to feature next season unless injuries are catastrophic.

And that is the point, injuries next season are going to mean that our squad players who were here last season and now will leave need to be replaced with better options. I for one think this is a great deal.

Crofts, Fox and Johnson can all play in that role.

We have just spent 2 odd million on Vaughan, possibly a similar fee on Morison, if we believe other rumours for a number of players possibly over 10 million pounds. That is without us being linked to any centre halves or goalkeepers. So a good free transfer, for a young hungry player from a big championship club is great news.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="smooth"]

Korey Smith is not as good as Adeyemi.

[/quote]

Wrong way round surely? I can see Adeyemi going the way of Micheal Spillane this summer.

[/quote]

Agree with Bethnal, surprisingly enough. For Adeyemi to progress he needs to find a new club. Korey still has stuff to offer to us, however, I don''t think the whole idea of moving him to RB is the right idea. A loan move to a Championship side until January would be the right thing to do.

Just spotted Johnson outside Carrow Road.[img]http://cs12.cs.qc.cuny.edu/~pake2745/images/donkey.jpg[/img]I just hope the club supplies everybody in the Barclay & N&P with helmets, to protect themselves from his dreadful shots.

Really good signing on a free, ticks all the lambert critera and didnt cost a bean. Good age so will only improve, i dont expect him to start but he certainly will be a very handy squad player in a tough season. Think we needed a bit of extra bite in midfield.

I think we are in fortunate position to have two young central midfielders who can certainly develop. However I do think that improvement each year is critical and also our rise up from league 1 to Premiership is going to mean certain players are going to have to look for a loan to further their improvement.

I stick to the fact that I believe Adeyemi has the physical attributes, technical ability to be a better player than Korey Smith. Right I believe in time Adeyemi, if he progresses as he should, can be a premiership player. Korey Smith possibly a good championship player.

I certainly think if Korey Smith went on loan he would not be a starter with many Championship teams. So both have alot of work to do for their development.

But they certainly can learn a great deal from the different players we have currently in our midfield, Fox, Croft, Surman, Lansbury and pacheco when they were here and now possibly Johnson and Snodgrass.

But 110% I def. agree that K. Smith should not be plying his trade at right back, that would be a big mistake for the club and his own career.