Sign in to follow this  
Mahogany

I'll never stop being amazing at what people will try to be outraged by

http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2011/06/08/norwich-use-xenophobia-to-sell-their-new-football-kit#comment-454197

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I''ll never stopped being amazed at how outraged people become when they think someone else is being outraged even when no one was being outraged in the first place.[/quote]

That''s an absolutely outrageous thing to say. I''m going to start a thread to express just how outraged I am[;)]

They''re not the only ones:

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/kits/74373/norwich-launch-new-errea-kit-with-borderline-racist-promo-video.html?

"By Chris Wright

Norwich released their rather smart new 2011/12 Errea home kit t’other day, and chose to do so with a bout of good ol’ fashioned borderline racism.

Come on everybody, let’s play ‘count the national stereotypes’…"

Sense of humour anyone?

Sense of humour or not, it''s a bit hypocritical of club to ban someone for life for a racist remark and then come out with a video taking the pi$$ out of Italians with their major "national stereotypes."

I''m not saying that this video is on a par with what Dongalong did, but you can see how people could see it of smacking of double standards. You can''t say anything about black people but the Italians are fair game because we work with an Italian company. that''s like using the "my best friend is asian" argument for not being racist.

"Sense of humour or not, it''s a bit hypocritical of club to ban someone for life for a racist remark and then come out with a video taking the pi$$ out of Italians with their major "national stereotypes."

I''m not saying that this video is on a par with what Dongalong did, but you can see how people could see it of smacking of double standards. You can''t say anything about black people but the Italians are fair game because we work with an Italian company. that''s like using the "my best friend is asian" argument for not being racist."

As rightly say, it''s not on a par with "what Dongalong did". It''s quite obviously a humorous parody of Italian stereotypes, with no offence intended.

I dare say Errea would of have had some input also, I wonder if they were offended? I don''t think so, and I don''t think anyone could take real offence to an obvious piece of pantomime such as this.

There are far too many greater problems in this world to get worked up about.

FWIW though, I just think it is a shame when journalists start stirring things up for the sake of a cheap headline - regardless of their true intentions or the context of the story. There are plenty of people out there who would read too much into those headlines...and coming off the back of the whole Twitter-gate debacle, it''s just poorly timed when NCFC and their supporters might still be a but twitchy regarding the whole racism row.

Personally, I think it''s very amusing, but then I''m not Italian! :)

The only vaguely negative stereotype involved is diving, which is not really a racial characteristic.

I don''t see taking an interest in personal appearance, drinking coffee and riding a Vespa as especially negative stereotypes.

For the record I absolutely loved it. Just saying I can see how it would be construed that way.

At the end of the day, it would have been made by Errea and their marketing people with us and our marketing people with everyone involved having agreed on it being used to promote our new Italian designed kit.

God I hope we sign an Italian player now. Hahaha.

[quote user="Fr. Chewy Louie"]The only vaguely negative stereotype involved is diving, which is not really a racial characteristic. I don''t see taking an interest in personal appearance, drinking coffee and riding a Vespa as especially negative stereotypes.[/quote]

---

Added to which I suspect a country that has won the World Cup four times is probably fairly relaxed about English mockery anyway...