Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

John Ruddy

I ruddy hope so. He''s still young for a ''keeper and will be even better next year. As long as waits till half time for his double espresso, he''ll do just fine.

I hope so too. He''s progressed so much since the start of the season and has the makings of being a damn fine keeper.

I keep hearing the FF will be coming back but we''ll have to wait and see,i think Ruddy deserves the No 1 shirt because he did play a big part in last seasons promotion.

I think ill be shot down for this, But I am not a Ruddy Fan. I hope he gets a chance to prove me wrong but I don''t think he will be good enough as he wasn''t last year in my opinion. Just to many errors, not commanding enough and never knew when to come or not. I think anyone who is a goalkeeper or watches allot of football will agree with me.

[quote user="L4cole"]I think ill be shot down for this, But I am not a Ruddy Fan. I hope he gets a chance to prove me wrong but I don''t think he will be good enough as he wasn''t last year in my opinion. Just to many errors, not commanding enough and never knew when to come or not. I think anyone who is a goalkeeper or watches allot of football will agree with me.
[/quote]

Cliche John Ruddy "problems" from September. He is a completely different player now.

I rate the guy, he did have bad moments this season with us. I think most of those things were down to the defenders and not him. He has earn t that number one jersey.

I think he is very competent and will get better. It should be remembered that he is still young in goal keeping terms.I think he will be first choice unless FF comes back and they would have to compete with each other. FF in my views pulls off the exceptional and is a future England man if given the chance to perform at top level

Ruddy''s fine and will improve, I''m sure.

Very good though FF is, I can''t believe that the management would want to bring him back as it would surely undermine Ruddy''s confidence. Ruddy himself admitted that his confidence was not helped by starting off trying to live up to the reputation of the recently departed FF.

I''m 100% sure he will start in goal for the opening game. That is all i''m certain about.

Based on how much Ruddy improved from when we signed him to the last weeks of the season, if he continues to improve and continues to gain confidence (he is still very very young for a goalkeeper) he has all the makings of a being a great long term keeper for us.

Hope he''s given the number 1 jersey again

I don''t think his confidence was helped much by the pre season friendly against his former employers. Came on leaps and bounds as the season went on and he deserves the Number 1 shirt next season.

I can''t really see us buying a new goalie tbh.  Obviously still early and I may be proved wrong but I think our money will be spent on on improving the team infront of him.I think Ruddy''s a solid keeper, not the best in the world but apart from a couple of errors early on (when fans were to quick to jump on his back imo) he''s done very well for us.  And with Rudd as back up I''m not too worried.  It''s our defense that I''m most worried about, but I trust Lambert will sort that out in due time.To summarise, yeah Ruddy will be our No.1 next year, so you can go ahead and get that put on the back of your shirt [:P]

I agree Mr Brownstone, also the stick he was getting from certain sections of the crowd and from certain posters on message boards didn''t help his confidence early in the season.

At the end of the day John Ruddy was the man between the sticks of a promotion winning team, teams dont get promoted with a rubbish goalkeeper.

Everyone in the first 11 has earnt the right to play in the Premier League and John Ruddy deserves his chance equally as much as Holt, Hoolahan and the rest.

[quote user="L4cole"]I think ill be shot down for this, But I am not a Ruddy Fan. I hope he gets a chance to prove me wrong but I don''t think he will be good enough as he wasn''t last year in my opinion. Just to many errors, not commanding enough and never knew when to come or not. I think anyone who is a goalkeeper or watches allot of football will agree with me.
[/quote]

---

As - a long time ago - a goalkeeper you won''t get an argument from me. But I would add to your list what I''ve said all along is his biggest failing, and that is his poor positional sense. If you''re in the wrong position the save is either harder than it should be or you can''t make it. As, for example, Leicester''s second goal and Derby''s first goal in our 3-2 wins. Both were potentially saveable given proper positioning.

i''d be shocked if he wasnt No.1 keeper at start of the season. He improved vastly from a shaky 1st month, proven himself to be a good shotstopper and made numerous crucial saves at crucial times last season, last minute at home to sheff utd immediately springs to mind when at 3-2. Also his distribution is excellent and vital to the way we play, he doesnt hesitate when throwing/kicking to ball to a defender and always looking to start moves quickly, basically a lot of the time he sets the tone for the pace we play the game. I think he''ll do well next season as well, of course he''ll make an error or two, as every keeper will do, but he''ll save us a few tight games im sure

If we''re going for a new keeper I''d want us to by Seb Brown, Wimbledons keeper.  Mainly to piss of my brother (Dons season ticket holder, we grew up in South London, I went the way of my Norfolk born and raised dad, my brother went the other way), but the few times I''ve watched him this season, and especially in the play-off final he''s impressed me with his command of the box and positioning.Obviously he wouldn''t take the no.1 jersey from Ruddy though.

[quote user="UEA Canary"]i''d be shocked if he wasnt No.1 keeper at start of the season. He improved vastly from a shaky 1st month, proven himself to be a good shotstopper and made numerous crucial saves at crucial times last season, last minute at home to sheff utd immediately springs to mind when at 3-2. Also his distribution is excellent and vital to the way we play, he doesnt hesitate when throwing/kicking to ball to a defender and always looking to start moves quickly, basically a lot of the time he sets the tone for the pace we play the game. I think he''ll do well next season as well, of course he''ll make an error or two, as every keeper will do, but he''ll save us a few tight games im sure[/quote]Didn''t he set up the 3rd goal against Bristol back in October by launching it to Jackson?  I do like it when a keeper''s looking to start attacks and not just hoofing it into a crowded midfield.

I''d be happy to have Ruddy in goal next season. BUT I think we should get someone to give him competition, and not the two youngsters. We need a solid back up who could easily take Ruddy''s spot if he ever dips form.

Goalkeepers don''t usually reach their peak until age 30-35, so I reckon Ruddy at 24 still has another 6 years of gaining experience and improving  before he is at his very best. He''s already a big asset to the team, and will become even more so in years to come, so let''s hang on to him at all costs. I don''t think he makes any more mistakes than other keepers, even those at the higheat level. For example look at the two goals conceded by England''s number one against Switzerland the other day. We just have to accept that keepers errors are much higher profile than those of other players, and move on.

[quote user="Hoolahans left foot"]I rate the guy, he did have bad moments this season with us. I think most of those things were down to the defenders and not him. He has earn t that number one jersey.[/quote]

I don''t think that makes sense, to be honest. How can his "bad moments" be down to the defenders?

Each player has to take responsibility for their own game and if someone else makes a mistake they still have to perform their duties to the best of their ability.

As for Ruddy... "good but not great" is how I would sum him up at the moment. I''d be surprised if he doesn''t get a chance in goal next season but if the manager would prefer to use someone else then he''ll obviously have his reasons for it.

It''s up to Lambert if he wants another goalie brought in. What I don''t quite understand is the obsession with bringing F. Forster in! I honestly don''t think that if Lambert was going to bring one in, it would be him!

I see it more likely to be a League One/Championship player that will offer competition to Ruddy, but not enough to take first place.

I honestly think that we will get in a keeper with Premiership experience who is probably in the twilight of his career who is happy to be understudy to and mentor of Ruddy at the same time as well as having/being promised a few starts. Ruddy definitely to be number one choice at least to start with IMO.

Ruddy starts, he deserves it. Bring in Westwood on a free. We then have two good keepers to compete with each other. Send Rudd/ Steer out on 6 month loans, one at a time.

I played in goal and have to admit that Ruddy improved massively - and for that reason I think he should start for us in the Prem - and fully deserve it! But - he still made too many mistakes when under pressure - and didn''t command his area as much as I would have liked - certainly not as much as Green did when he was with us.Rudd has had some good games for us, and will be a top keeper, but I am not sure he is adequate to put pressure on Ruddy to keep his place in the prem.So I think we need some experienced back up.

[quote user="CT Wizard"]Does anybody else hold the opinion that J.R will be our first choice goalkeeper next year?

I really hope he will be [:)]
[/quote]

So do I wizard wannabe, but having utter contempt for you and your fellow moronic little gang of wizard p*ss takers opinions, it hurts to agree with you this time.  [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Unhappy/unhappy-054.gif[/IMG]