Sign in to follow this  
the duke of norfolk

Inflated transfer fees. Time to try the foreign market?

Lambert is complaining about the distorted transfee fees being quoted. This is down to the fact that he wants to buy British players. I think it has always been the case that British players cost more. Perhaps he should try signing a foreign player or two? He could possibly get an equivalent foreign player for a third less that he could a British one? Obviously signing a foreign player carries an element of risk, but I feel signing a player from a league outside of the Prem carries an element of risk in "can that player make the step up?"Scandinavian players are the safest bet when it comes to signing foreigners. He should get on the phone to Henrik Larsen for some info on the best Swedish players. Rasmus Elm is decent.

He can buy players in the Icelandic Divisions for peanuts. I don''t understand why Norwich wont send a scout to the Euro U-21.In Iceland there are a couple of okay-good young players for example Guðmundur Reynir Gunnarsson (LB) who is fast and crosses well. The highest fee paid between 2 Icelandic football clubs is 1000000 ISK=6000 pounds.There are also quality players in France/Swiss/Austria/Italy/Spain/Portugal/Germany/Holland/Belgium/Denmark for not too much money. For example Wiggan got that Diame dude from France division 2.

[quote user="NauruDude"]He can buy players in the Icelandic Divisions for peanuts. I don''t understand why Norwich wont send a scout to the Euro U-21.

In Iceland there are a couple of okay-good young players for example Guðmundur Reynir Gunnarsson (LB) who is fast and crosses well. The highest fee paid between 2 Icelandic football clubs is 1000000 ISK=6000 pounds.

There are also quality players in France/Swiss/Austria/Italy/Spain/Portugal/Germany/Holland/Belgium/Denmark for not too much money. For example Wiggan got that Diame dude from France division 2.
[/quote]

Do you really think that NCFC (and every other decent Club in Europe) are not aware of Icelandic players? Talent Scouts are everywhere, they would be overjoyed to discover a new talent (especially as they probably get a good bonus for doing so). Lambert has a philosophy when signing players they have to be enthusiastic (hungry), determined, talented and be able to fit in with the rest of the lads, an untried, inexperienced foreign lad, however talented, may not fit his criteria.

Like its really worked for us in the past!

Strihavka

The Dutch RB Colon a few years back.

Julian Brelier

Tomas Helveg

Mahiaes Jonnson

Jean De Blassis

Cedric Anselin

Fernando Derveld

Raymond Devard

That Spaniard RB who Roedernowhere signed and played for 2 games!

That Yugoslav striker who name escapes me who was our record signing in 1981 and was poor - Oh Drazien Muzinic - it just came to me!

So its got to be a big NO!

We went down that route last time in the Premiership and it didn''t work. I''m afraid we have to bite the bullet and splash the cash on good England based players if we are to survive!

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="NauruDude"]He can buy players in the Icelandic Divisions for peanuts. I don''t understand why Norwich wont send a scout to the Euro U-21.

In Iceland there are a couple of okay-good young players for example Guðmundur Reynir Gunnarsson (LB) who is fast and crosses well. The highest fee paid between 2 Icelandic football clubs is 1000000 ISK=6000 pounds.

There are also quality players in France/Swiss/Austria/Italy/Spain/Portugal/Germany/Holland/Belgium/Denmark for not too much money. For example Wiggan got that Diame dude from France division 2.
[/quote]

Do you really think that NCFC (and every other decent Club in Europe) are not aware of Icelandic players? Talent Scouts are everywhere, they would be overjoyed to discover a new talent (especially as they probably get a good bonus for doing so). Lambert has a philosophy when signing players they have to be enthusiastic (hungry), determined, talented and be able to fit in with the rest of the lads, an untried, inexperienced foreign lad, however talented, may not fit his criteria.

[/quote]

I don''t think theyre completely aware of Icelandic and probably other markets too. How come Dutch and Belgian clubs are always signing Icelanders but Norwich havent even touched that? They havent scouted it.

They arent inexperienced. Theyve played in Icelandic top league for years and for the Iceland younger national teams also.

And why wouldnt they be hungry? Noone is satisfied with playing in Iceland/Norway his whole carer.

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]Like its really worked for us in the past!

Strihavka

The Dutch RB Colon a few years back.

Julian Brelier

Tomas Helveg

Mahiaes Jonnson

Jean De Blassis

Cedric Anselin

Fernando Derveld

Raymond Devard

That Spaniard RB who Roedernowhere signed and played for 2 games!

That Yugoslav striker who name escapes me who was our record signing in 1981 and was poor - Oh Drazien Muzinic - it just came to me!

So its got to be a big NO!

We went down that route last time in the Premiership and it didn''t work. I''m afraid we have to bite the bullet and splash the cash on good England based players if we are to survive![/quote]Thomas Helveg was class. It was Worthingtons fault he did not play more than he did or get more out of him. The rest I would agree with. All down to the scouting and the manager though. If you get the right ones foreign players can do well.

Why not look towards Ireland ?  Players such as Roy Keane, Shane Long, the Hunt brothers and Kevin Doyle have all originated from there.  

[quote user="paul moy"]Why not look towards Ireland ?  Players such as Roy Keane, Shane Long, the Hunt brothers and Kevin Doyle have all originated from there.  [/quote]

Join the dots.

Wes Hoolahan...

Man Utd.

Celtic.

[quote user="the duke of norfolk"]Lambert is complaining about the distorted transfee fees being quoted. This is down to the fact that he wants to buy British players. I think it has always been the case that British players cost more.

Perhaps he should try signing a foreign player or two? He could possibly get an equivalent foreign player for a third less that he could a British one? Obviously signing a foreign player carries an element of risk, but I feel signing a player from a league outside of the Prem carries an element of risk in "can that player make the step up?"

Scandinavian players are the safest bet when it comes to signing foreigners. He should get on the phone to Henrik Larsen for some info on the best Swedish players. Rasmus Elm is decent.
[/quote]

---

We have signed some duff players signed from overseas, but that doesn''t mean the idea is all bad. To take a name the Duke mentions, I doubt anyone thinks it would have been a mistake back in 1993 to buy Henrik Larsson for £295,000, which was the asking price, when we had paid more than three times that much for Darren Beckford.

There is definitely a risk, because it often takes even talented players time to adapt to the fast and physical English game. The trick is to go for players you can afford not to work straight away. Helveg and Jonson were talented players (more than 150 caps between them, for decent international teams) but both struggled. The problem was with the comparitively small squad we had we didn''t have the luxury of being able to wait for them to adapt.

Given the larger squads nowadays, there may be scope for such players, particularly since they can be loaned out to toughen them up. In terms of specific players, I would add Pontus Wernbloom''s name to that of Rasmus Elm. They both play for AZ. And there was a Czech poster on the official message-board was always singing the praises of Tomas Pekhart, who is in the Czech under-21 team. If he shows up well this poster can say he told us so, or he could, if they hadn''t closed down the official board...

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]That Spaniard RB who Roedernowhere signed and played for 2 games![/quote]I believe you''re referring to the one and only Juan Velasco (will never forget that name). Are you sure he played 2?! I remember him playing away at Coventry and he was absolutely shocking (their right winger was screaming for the ball because he knew this clown couldnt play) we wanted to bring him off after about 15 mins but the ball didnt go out of play for another 5 mins. Classic flop.