Sign in to follow this  
The Voice Of Reason

Steven Smith

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]He is playing the system and whilst annoying who could blame him. At least he only has 1 year on his contract. I would keep him here for the full year rather than let him go north with our cash in his pocket[/quote]

Make him cut the grass at Colney...with his teeth!

[/quote]

Steven Smith has already shown he is able to stoop pretty low, so grass cutting with his teeth sounds an ideal task...

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]Smith isn''t quoted at all in that article.[/quote]

---

Some posters seem to be missing this crucial point. All the quotes about Smith wanting a well-paid, cushy life at Colney are from Craig Brown, saying that is what he imagines Smith now wants. There is no evidence that actually is what Smith wants.

[/quote]Yeah but why spoil everyone''s fun?

I suppose it''s just a case of........Aberdeen Anger''us....

Funny Aberdeen Angus Cow Poster Print

''Delia''s Dung Dropper'' sez: ''Thats not even an Aberdeen Angus cow.''

I reply.....

I know, it''s actually Craig Brown....

Smith did not want to stay here & was not happy he did not want to play for us, so the Club tried to help him by getting a loan deal back in Scotland, where he would not feel homesick.That''s surely good of the Club, and putting the players interests at heart - like Lambert did with  with Nelson.  He said he would have kept him for cover (and that it would be in the Clubs best interests to do so)  but he could not guarantee many games for him, so as there was a good offer for him with a longer contract he let him go.The Lappin thing  - well  he really did want to play for us, but was pushed out by a manager who clearly did not know what he was doing - otherwise Lambert would not have played him in the Championship!The difference between Lappin & Smith is that Lappin always wanted to play for  us, and stay in this area,  but Smith did not like the area (or maybe the Club) and wanted to scoot back to Scotland asap.So we gave Smith the chance to do as he wished, and albeit that his contract said he could have this and that (no doubts there) he then CHOSE  to try for more money - even though he doesn''t like the club or area.Yes he''s entitled to the money - but is it our fault he didn''t like it here? 

[quote user="65Vintage"]Smith did not want to stay here & was not happy he did not want to play for us, so the Club tried to help him by getting a loan deal back in Scotland, where he would not feel homesick.That''s surely good of the Club, and putting the players interests at heart - like Lambert did with  with Nelson.  He said he would have kept him for cover (and that it would be in the Clubs best interests to do so)  but he could not guarantee many games for him, so as there was a good offer for him with a longer contract he let him go.The Lappin thing  - well  he really did want to play for us, but was pushed out by a manager who clearly did not know what he was doing - otherwise Lambert would not have played him in the Championship!The difference between Lappin & Smith is that Lappin always wanted to play for  us, and stay in this area,  but Smith did not like the area (or maybe the Club) and wanted to scoot back to Scotland asap.So we gave Smith the chance to do as he wished, and albeit that his contract said he could have this and that (no doubts there) he then CHOSE  to try for more money - even though he doesn''t like the club or area.Yes he''s entitled to the money - but is it our fault he didn''t like it here? [/quote]But where does that get you? Someone paid me enough I''d live in downtown Baghdad....he didn''t want to stay but money  changes people''s opinions. That''s football!

Nothing like a good old small town witch hunt hey?I clearly remember it being said that Steven Smith rejected a bigger contract at Rangers to join Norwich for first team football. The likelyhood is that Smith went from Rangers money, to Norwich Championship money, back up to Rangers money upon promotion, and would be willing to drop back to Norwich Championship money but not to the peanuts that Aberdeen could pay. I have no idea whether any other Scottish clubs could pay decent money, but I suspect Hibernian or Hearts pay decent wages and you never know who has phoned his agent.As soon as I read the article I just knew that there would be people on here labelling Smith as the devil, without giving any consideration to any of the possibilities. If you are unhappy in your job as a Mechanic earning £15 an hour, that does not necessarily mean that you would be willing to work in Tesco for £5.80 an hour, you may well be happy enough to work in an office somewhere for £10 an hour, if the sums add up and that sounds like enough to pay your mortgage and feed your kids. Enough said. You would probably be willing to work in Tesco for £10 an hour though.If Rangers was the car garage, Norwich was the office, and Aberdeen was Tesco''s, that is the simplest analogy that I can give those who are sharpening their stakes and saving their rotting tomatoes. Smith has been working in Tesco this season, but not for £5.80 an hour. Maybe Hearts will give him an office job.I suspect that we can trust Lambert to give us an insight, it will probably come in 3 months when he says "Things didn''t work out for Smith in the summer but he has worked hard in training, and has been fantastic for me, all the lads have been fantastic" because that is the type of bloke that Lambert is. Craig Brown, on the other hand, looks like he would fit in well on Waccoe with his bitterness and hatred. We can afford to keep Smith next season if we have to, the bloke isn''t going to turn down games if offered them, and he isn''t going to want to show himself up on MOTD. In my honest opinion I think that Drury, whilst fantastic for 7 or 8 seasons, is way past his best and probably wouldn''t be second choice left back anyway if Smith stayed. If Smith stays, as he is entitled to as per the contract he signed, then I personally have zero issue with that as long as he shows his willingness to keep in shape and puts in his shift when required. If, on the other hand, he goes missing and puts on a stone.... Lambert would probably be the first to tell us.As things stand though, he is a Canary. By all means treat every word muttered by Lambert and McNally as gospel, they deserve it. Craig Brown, on the other hand, became completely irrelevant about a decade ago. The bloke is about 70 and probably hasn''t even been in Norfolk for 7 years, since he last came with Preston, who gives a flying F what that old fool is speculating? If he was any good as a manager at club level he could be managing a team with the clout to complete decent signings. As things stand he hasn''t done anything significant at club level, ever, in a managerial career which started in the seventies. I''ll take all of that back when or if McNally or Lambert confirm that Smith is only interested in money. Personally, if I were Smith, I''d stay on my bumper contract for a year and go back out on loan.

Agreed, the number of hypocrites on this forum is hilarious! Yes you are a hypocrite if you would take the money too and are moaning!

All I see is an Aberdeen boss who wants to pay nothing for a player and wants money from us too to make it happen.

And, tbh, the vast majority of posts on the other thread are understanding of his ''alleged'' situation. Far from needing to ''lay off him''.

I have no issue so long as he continues to be 100% professional and we can use him if needed. His circumstances would then be a bit like lappins when reorder froze him out (except I''m sure Lambo wouldn''t be suck a dick about it) as I think lappin could have gone back to low wages in Scotland had he wanted to, but chose to sit out his contract with us and continued to work hard and is now some kind of hero with some people because of that.

Hes our player if we dont want him and cant agree terms to sell him then they only other choice is to pay him off

A bit of racist sterio typintg there Joanna, might be looked at as poor taste!

I think it is pretty sad that someone with the ability to play football at a very high level would choose to sit for a year at a club where he is guaranteed never to play just to pick up more money.

I suppose I''m naive enough to believe that footballers mainly play for the love of the sport - I would.

It''s his decision but I think it''s the wrong one especially in such a comparatively short career.

Canary Man of Kent, don''t worry about the "Reorder/Roeder" auto-correction - re-read the bit you put in brackets about PL instead! :-)

[quote user="Canarino"]Canary Man of Kent, don''t worry about the "Reorder/Roeder" auto-correction - re-read the bit you put in brackets about PL instead! :-)[/quote]

Haha,read that as well[:$][:D]

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

I think it is pretty sad that someone with the ability to play football at a very high level would choose to sit for a year at a club where he is guaranteed never to play just to pick up more money.

I suppose I''m naive enough to believe that footballers mainly play for the love of the sport - I would.

It''s his decision but I think it''s the wrong one especially in such a comparatively short career.

[/quote]

That''s the point of this thread.Smith hasn''t said anything,yet he is being labelled as our very own Winston Bogarde.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="Indy"]A bit of racist sterio typintg there Joanna, might be looked at as poor taste![/quote]

By whom?

[/quote]By anyone who is Polish or has Polish heritage like me.It was poor taste, put your Daily Mail down, and you might see it''s a rather silly scapegoat as most economic migrants have gone home now anyway.

Steven Smith is a professional footballer who CHOSE to move to Norwich. He has a partner and young child. Part of carrying out your duties as a pro footballer involves travel. Pre-determined travel too. Norwich will always be the same distance from Glasgow, so perhaps Smith should have thought about that earlier than he did. Maybe he should have taken some advice from someone who has successfully made the same move - Robert Fleck springs to mind as a good example.

Either way, emotionally he has declared he cannot cope with living here. That does happen sometimes - ill thought-out in my opinion, but it happens. For the benefit of all concerned we need to bail him out and quickly. How anyone can say ''keep him next season and make him play'' is beyond me. What mental state would he be in for goodness sake? That''s no good.

It''s currently a mess, but not one that cannot be cleaned up. I doubt McNally and PL will allow the situation to fester; nothing should be allowed to damage the team spirit that clearly exists here these days. Least of all a player whose heart simply belongs to Scotland. That''s the place, not the senior National team of course - where a fine example of a committed pro-footballer does exist. He''s called Russell Martin.

Smith''s done nothing wrong as far as I can see, none of the quotes are from him.

The club and Smith agreed his contract between themselves, if he wants to stay and collect his wages then he''s perfectly entitled too.

I''ve met Smith and had a good 20 minute convo with him, he was a perfectly nice down to earth guy. Don''t judge him off the back of a couple quotes from a boss trying to sign him.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="Indy"]A bit of racist sterio typintg there Joanna, might be looked at as poor taste![/quote]

By whom?

[/quote]

By anyone who is Polish or has Polish heritage like me.

It was poor taste, put your Daily Mail down, and you might see it''s a rather silly scapegoat as most economic migrants have gone home now anyway.
[/quote]

LOL... you''ve been believing too much propaganda from the debt merchants.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]Smith isn''t quoted at all in that article.[/quote]

---

Some posters seem to be missing this crucial point. All the quotes about Smith wanting a well-paid, cushy life at Colney are from Craig Brown, saying that is what he imagines Smith now wants. There is no evidence that actually is what Smith wants.

[/quote]
Yeah but why spoil everyone''s fun?
[/quote]

Smith has a contract , and has just won the jackpot through promotion. This gives him a level of income he has only dreamed of before, if what we read is true.

Brown suggests that Smith should throw this all in, and sign for Brown at what we can only imagine is a much lower package. All based on some fatuous belief that Smith should have some professional pride?

Brown (who I have always had time for) knows the score. When Brown got sacked by Scotland. and Preston, I wonder which part of his contract he walked away from for professional pride, and which parts his lawyers and agent ensured were enforced? Perhaps all of the money Brown was owed was simply handed back to football Charities.  I doubt it.

[quote user="Canarino"]Canary Man of Kent, don''t worry about the "Reorder/Roeder" auto-correction - re-read the bit you put in brackets about PL instead! :-)[/quote]

Hahahaha! Good spot! Whooppppps!

Funniest and most unfortunate typo I''ve ever managed. Can''t even blame iPhone autocorrect for that, it''s either my subconscious or fat fingers - fat fingers I hope! Haha!