Sign in to follow this  
The Voice Of Reason

Steven Smith

Has the reports today painted an accurate view of whats happening with Smith?

I understood that PL let him go back to Scotland for personal reasons, couldn''t settle down here etc, suddenly he is on Premier League wages and he likes it down here, doesn''t want to leave.

I''m not feeling very positive towards him now.....

Disgraceful !!!!

The bit about "turning up for training, having lunch then going home with a massive pay packet" really got me angry

It is his money/contract he is entitled to it. Norwich City didn''t put a gun to his head to force him to sign the contract.Craig Brown is obviously trying to shame Smith into accepting a lower contract, or make Norwich pay the difference between the two wages. Who here would turn down more money?

What''s the big deal? We can always loan the lad out to someone else. This story is simply Craig Brown stirring things up. He wants the player, but can''t afford the wages or transfer fee. Boo-effing-hoo. Blaming Norwich for not paying Aberdeen to take Steven Smith off our hands isn''t going to help his cause.

Why would you take a massive pay cut when you could get paid a whole load of money just to turn up for training and a few reserve games?I rated his energy and attitude in the few games he played and he was very unlucky with injury. I can''t say why he didn''t manage to break into the team after that and Lambert felt the need to bring in Tierney. I say fair enough, sit the contract or try to earn a place in the team.-

i can see why he isn''t in favour now - hardly fits Lambert''s ''hungry'' model!

If you were in his position would you tear up a pay rise?

It will be interesting to see how it is resolved. Craig Brown is ramping things up for his own and Aberdeens benefit. A deal will be done where i would guess all have to give a bit. Simon Lappin was frozen out of Carrow Road but refused to leave. Ignore Browns baiting.

H

This is Steven Smith’s chance in life to earn a decent amount of cash to help set him up for life. I’d think there’s a good chance that he may well earn more this season than he will do in the rest of his football career. He’d be a mug to walk away from it. NCFC have signed a contract with him and he is entitled to the wages.

It is hypocritical for anyone to have a go at him for staying.

Who on this message board, if they were offered around £500,000 for doing a job for a year that where the circumstances were a little difficult or awkward, would turn down this chance?  The answer - no one.

Ah, the timid appeasers reply, he said he doesn''t like it here and wanted to leave, so you advocate the club paying him to play for someone else, which in effect is what would happen.......what planet do you all inhabit? [^o)]

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

This is Steven Smith’s chance in life to earn a decent amount of cash to help set him up for life. I’d think there’s a good chance that he may well earn more this season than he will do in the rest of his football career. He’d be a mug to walk away from it. NCFC have signed a contract with him and he is entitled to the wages.

Who on this message board, if they were offered around £500,000 for doing a job for a year that where the circumstances were a little difficult or awkward, would turn down this chance?  The answer - no one.

[/quote]

Unfortunate but true.

Who knows, obviously Paul Lambert saw something in him to sign him in the first place. Perhaps if he isn''t having the rigourous training and the pressure of games he can regain his full fitness and produce what PL saw in him in the first place. It isn''t impossible for a player to come back, ask Simon Lappin.

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]Don''t see what the problem is. Why don''t we loan him to Aberdeen for the season on a percentage of the wage.[/quote]This is the most logical solution. How does Craig Brown know that Smith is content to simply turn up just to collect his wages? Can''t see him being named in the 25 ahead of Tierney or Drury (with Lappin as extra LB cover), so we should loan him out with the other club paying as much of his wages as we can negotiate. He knows he''ll be leaving on a free next summer, so why wouldn''t he want to spend a season on loan playing first-team football, giving himself the chance to acquaint himself with new team-mates and coaches etc? Can''t see him sitting around doing nothing for a year, that would be self-destructive in the extreme.

THE PROBLEM IS...stating ''personal reasons'' and not being able to settle in here. Then all of a sudden willing to come back to pick up stupid amounts of money for doing f*ck all ! I hate the ''wouldn''t you take massive ammounts of money to do nothing'' nonsense, we are''t fortunate enough to have that choice, and our wages go towards his massive pay packet.

"so you advocate the club paying him to play for someone else, which in effect is what would happen"

As this pretty much what happens with every loan then once again you are talking out of your backside.

To me it is much as others have said ie rough figures

Smith is on £5000 a week at City

Goes to Aberdeen where they pay £3000 and we make up the other £2000

Intemtion is he moves to Abdeen where they probably offer him a 2 or 3 year contract at £3000 a week - however he is still entitled to the remaining £2000 a week left on his City contract, which we pay to settle up in full. one or lower one off figure.

Smith now states that as he wage has gone up, Premier League clause, it is no longer £2000 a week as he wants whatever the extra is as well ie

1. Legally he is entitled to it

2. Morally, perhaps not as he has played little or no part in that promotion, nor looked to be part of the Premier League squad.

3. If he sits on his backside, in Norwich a place he claims he is unsettled in, will there be another contract waiting for him at Aberdeen next June - having not played competitive football for v12 months ?

The true test would be were we to have been relegated last season, back to League 1. Would Smith be accepting a possible pay cut in his wages and would McNally be insisting on it ?

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

[/quote]Totally agree. I feel no anger towards Steven, as you say, he would be a mug to walk away from that much money.

We''re a bit thin at left back, why not keep him as back up? He looked pretty good when he did play and it saves us looking for another player, Drury is probably a bit too injury prone to be our sole cover there. Sure he''s staying for the wages, but that doesn''t mean he instantly becomes a bad player. And who knows? Maybe the fine city will grow on him.

[quote user="City1st"]

The true test would be were we to have been relegated last season, back to League 1. Would Smith be accepting a possible pay cut in his wages and would McNally be insisting on it ?[/quote]An incredibly good point.If the situation was reversed we would all expect him to take the pay-cut, so why shouldn''t he take the pay rise?Anyway, I feel we are all judging him before this has really panned out - he may take the cut and leave.Out of interest Wiz you said Leech mark II (a reference to Gunn I''m sure given your modus operandi) but what about Lappin and Jamie Cureton? Didn''t they both do exactly the same thing?

“Smith has received a big rise in wages following Norwich’s promotion from the Championship and he is obviously not going to leave without an inducement from Norwich,” said Brown.

“His club is determined not to do that which means they will freeze the guy out for a year and hope to sicken him into leaving to play football again – but they won’t succeed given the money Smith is now earning.”

Brown told the Press and Journal: “The training ground at the club has effectively become a health farm. He will turn up each morning, do some training, have a nice shower, eat his lunch there and go home with his nice wage packet every week.”

Interesting strategy from Brown. Not entirely sure if I was Smith I would want to play for a manager who has just labelled me a money-obsessed layabout. We shall see.

This is slander, we do not know if this is the genuine situation or not.Smith may well want to go out perminantly, Lambert says so in the article that he does - the fact some other manager has come out in the press and spoke of his frustration at the money Smith might want is totally irrelevant! All the players at the club got wage rises due to promotion, that''s just something potential buyers will have to sort out with the player himself. Good on Norwich for not being willing to splash out the extra money to let him go too. He is not a leech, and should he end up staying here because Aberdeen can''t sort financial stuff out for him, then I''m sure he''ll do his part if he is called upon.

[quote user="AJ Wizard"]This is slander, we do not know if this is the genuine situation or not.

[/quote]

I''m sure that Craig Brown knows a wee bit more about the situation than you do.

Bradley Johnson (if he signs) can ''do a job'' at left-back, and I know a few Leeds fans who think that''s his best position.

We have no need to keep Smith with Tierney/Drury/Lappin/Johnson (potentially), but if we can''t shift him then he''ll just run down his contract.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="City1st"] The true test would be were we to have been relegated last season, back to League 1. Would Smith be accepting a possible pay cut in his wages and would McNally be insisting on it ?[/quote]

An incredibly good point.

If the situation was reversed we would all expect him to take the pay-cut, so why shouldn''t he take the pay rise?

Anyway, I feel we are all judging him before this has really panned out - he may take the cut and leave.

Out of interest Wiz you said Leech mark II (a reference to Gunn I''m sure given your modus operandi) but what about Lappin and Jamie Cureton? Didn''t they both do exactly the same thing?
[/quote]

Both Lapps and Curro WANTED to stay and play for City, Smith wanted out before we were promoted, that is hugely different Bethnal.

Had we remained in the Chumps, he would have been gone.

Begs the question how many players do we have in the same situation as Smith? I believe Cody has a year left on his contract so it''s alright saying let us sell him for £300,000 when a lot of that will be taken up with paying off his wages (as a lower league club will not offer him anything like he will be getting this season).

The solution is very easy, we let Smith go for free to Aberdeen, they pick up his wage demand a get the player for nothing, so the cost say of to his value of 200K saved on the transfer fee can be picked up by Aberdeen.

But the powers at City and smith agreed the contract terms and like it or not Smith is doing nothing wrong. I woked out of Aberdeen for 5 years and I have to say it''s not my cup of tea so if Norwich isn''t to Smith''s liking I can understand.

I hope he has a bigger charecter than has been reported and he either knuckles down to earn a first team spot or moves on of his own accord.

It''s not worth gettting angry about it''s the club who agree to the risk and reward so we live with it.

[quote user="When Saturday Comes"]Smith isn''t quoted at all in that article. If he really is homesick, I doubt any sort of pay rise will keep him here.[/quote]

Not sure of that at all. People do all sorts of nasty things for money, just look at "I''m a Celebrity, get me out of here". It''s not as though he is stuck in a boarding school or a prison abroard is it though?

Somebody ought to point out that whilst he may get a big wage this year, spending a year on a training pitch on his own and having no part in match day squads could jeopardise is entire future career and any earnings from it. I doubt very much that this year will earn him more than the rest of his career as somebody stated. I''d think it might earn him 2-3 years max of wages with another club. But if all clubs lose interest in him because he goes off the radar and has no coaching for a year then he could well be a big loser in the long run.
If Smith is in no way part of Lamberts plans at all then I would make sure he has to turn up for training every day (so he can''t go and live somewhere that he is happy) but seperate him entirely from the squad and give no coaching to him. Maybe even make him clean youth players boots! Training alone would soon get very very dull, especially when he knows the other lads are having a great time training after beating Man U!