Sign in to follow this  
When Saturday Comes

You can't sign players in June!

According to Worthington & Doomcaster.

Who remembers their annual claim that it''s impossible to sign anyone in June because all players and agents are on holiday? No, it was because YOU were on holiday and lacked ambition!

What a load of rubbish.

Lambert has made a mockery of that and long may it continue......

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]...."Wotta Guy!"[/quote]

[/quote]

Doesn''t like Donny images......how strange?

actually you cant sign players in June.. well technically you can.. its just that transfers are "completed" on 1st july.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]The Vaughan deal may have been agreed in principle during May but the transfer window didn''t open until the 1st of June.[/quote]Myth!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]actually you cant sign players in June.. well technically you can.. its just that transfers are "completed" on 1st july.[/quote]And Myth! The transfer window opened at midnight on the last day of the season.Is this mythical date of 01 July when the squads have to be registered because I''ve heard that said quite a lot?

[quote user="Who Let The Fox Out"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]actually you cant sign players in June.. well technically you can.. its just that transfers are "completed" on 1st july.[/quote]And Myth! The transfer window opened at midnight on the last day of the season.Is this mythical date of 01 July when the squads have to be registered because I''ve heard that said quite a lot?[/quote]June 30 is the date when contracts expire, and July 1 is when they start. Therefore, the ''official'' date of the window opening and contracts starting is July 1.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Nobody ever signed anyone in May/June/July/August Or January if you listened to that pair of tw@ts !!.......still makes my blood boil everytime I see Doncaster on Sky sports news[/quote]haha brilliant!  [;)]  To be fair this did just come from Doomy (with his orders no doub''t handed down from above).  Worthy used to just tell us that he had been through his "A" list, "B" list and "C" list when it came to transfers and that there wasn''t much on his "D" list.Facts are the longer that you wait in a transfer window, the more power a selling club, the player and their agents have and the more desperate that a buying club becomes.  It really has never too Einstein to work that particular one out has it???

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Nobody ever signed anyone in May/June/July/August Or January if you listened to that pair of tw@ts !!.......still makes my blood boil everytime I see Doncaster on Sky sports news[/quote]

haha brilliant!  [;)]  To be fair this did just come from Doomy (with his orders no doub''t handed down from above).  Worthy used to just tell us that he had been through his "A" list, "B" list and "C" list when it came to transfers and that there wasn''t much on his "D" list.

Facts are the longer that you wait in a transfer window, the more power a selling club, the player and their agents have and the more desperate that a buying club becomes.  It really has never too Einstein to work that particular one out has it???
[/quote]

You got it Smudger but let ''em have their pound of flesh. They''ve waited 5 years to "be right" about Worthy. It was a long time coming!

And don''t forget nobody protested to get Doomy out so there''s no mileage unless they can link Worthy!

Worthy was as frustrated as anyone when we didn''t sign people early.

And the more you appreciate McNally''s part in all of this it would seem Worthy worked absolute miracles getting us to the Premier League with Doomcaster!

Lambert is the man and I believe he has it in him to become our finest ever manager. That in no way will take away from the achievements of any of those who went before him.

I dont think anyone is trying to be "right" in hindsight?!....I think we could all see the writing on the wall at the time with signings such as Hughes,Thorne,Jarrett,Louis-Jean. .....5 years?!?!....Worthington was at Norwich a year longer than he should have been!!

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Nobody ever signed anyone in May/June/July/August Or January if you listened to that pair of tw@ts !!.......still makes my blood boil everytime I see Doncaster on Sky sports news[/quote]

haha brilliant!  [;)]  To be fair this did just come from Doomy (with his orders no doub''t handed down from above).  Worthy used to just tell us that he had been through his "A" list, "B" list and "C" list when it came to transfers and that there wasn''t much on his "D" list.

Facts are the longer that you wait in a transfer window, the more power a selling club, the player and their agents have and the more desperate that a buying club becomes.  It really has never too Einstein to work that particular one out has it???
[/quote]

How do the signings of Ashton and Earnshaw fit into that though Smudge?

I wonder if Worthy ever personally protested to ''Doomy'' (and also the rest of the then board) regarding the sit-u-a-shun concerning his fundin'' frustrations?

Worthy had the ''ace up his sleeve'' when we were ''dooin ok'' and those Sheff Wednesday rumours were circulatin'' an'' doin'' the rounds....But alas, the love-affair and cosy times were soon to be on the rocks.....Manager frustrated with board.....board begin to question manager.....and the fans (albeit a supposed futile minority) become frustrated with both the board and manager.....Oh, and including some of the assembled squad at that time...

Is or was Worthy a particulary ''good'' manager? Personally, I don''t think so.....He''s as good an International manager as he was a Premiership manager. If Worthy were to lose or resign his tenure from the International scene, I don''t think any current Premiership club would headhunt him or wish to appoint him.....As for the then board who certainly took the plaudits when we were doing well, but weren''t going to shoulder the responsibility or the blame for the poor performances and failures that followed after our fall from the Premiership....Something had to give....and it certainly wasn''t going to be them.

Some folk do prefer to apportion blame solely toward the minority of fans ''that doth protest too much'' for the failure on all counts - of the removal of the then manager......Although, I tend to look at the naive and ineptness of the then hierarchy.....and the manager who in my opinion is/was tactically inept and quickly ran out of ideas. "Know worrah meen?"

Then it''s Grant......Roeder.....and Gunn? What was all that about? Doomy''s long gone - and everything now seems to be back on track.....

Proper football people at the helm......that''s the solution. 

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]I dont think anyone is trying to be "right" in hindsight?!....I think we could all see the writing on the wall at the time with signings such as Hughes,Thorne,Jarrett,Louis-Jean. .....5 years?!?!....Worthington was at Norwich a year longer than he should have been!![/quote]

Worthy probably was at Norwich a year long than he should have been. But that wasn''t why you were hailing him as a tw@t. Worthington did sign Hughes, Jarrett, Thorne and Louis-Jean. He was unlucky with a couple of them but that transfer window certainly wasn''t Worthy''s finest hour. But, even so, he finished 9th in the Championship amidst protest after protest.

My point was that Worthy was as frustrated as the fans about "nobody ever signed anyone in......"!

“It is most important from my point of view that we get people in as early as possible. The problem is that anybody who joins us now will be 2½ weeks behind in training and the very high levels of fitness we are trying to achieve."

“Things can develop very fast and it is a case of you can miss out if you don''t move swiftly.”

These were is own words when we were being told differently by Doncaster and Munby.

Here''s a novel thought..... Munby and Doncaster could well have been at the club five years longer than they should have been!? Now with Bowkett and McNally at the helm we do get people in as early as possible. Maybe when players join us they won''t weeks behing in training and fitness. And it does look like we are moving swiftly so we don''t miss out.

I''d have Worthy in the hall of fame I would!? We had six years of never being below top half in the Champioship. They stand out like a beacon amongst the poor years either side of them. Now it looks like we can do even better with "proper football people" from the very top down. Can''t Worthy now have some of the recognition he dserves!?

I think Rioch should have been given some recognition, he was up against it for the large majority of his tenure at NCFC.....What were the reasons he ceased to be our manager again?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Nobody ever signed anyone in May/June/July/August Or January if you listened to that pair of tw@ts !!.......still makes my blood boil everytime I see Doncaster on Sky sports news[/quote]haha brilliant!  [;)]  To be fair this did just come from Doomy (with his orders no doub''t handed down from above).  Worthy used to just tell us that he had been through his "A" list, "B" list and "C" list when it came to transfers and that there wasn''t much on his "D" list.Facts are the longer that you wait in a transfer window, the more power a selling club, the player and their agents have and the more desperate that a buying club becomes.  It really has never too Einstein to work that particular one out has it???[/quote]

How do the signings of Ashton and Earnshaw fit into that though Smudge?

[/quote]Ashton = January signing who we shouldve signed in the previous June or July at the latest instead of going for the cheap option in the Doc.  If we had have signed Ashton earlier we would have probably stayed up and we paid the price for not doing so.  A lesson which appears to have been learnt by those on the board.  I think that we only signed Ashton in January as the board felt pressured in to it by fans that knew if we didn''t try and find ourselves a goal scorer that we were going to be relegated without even having a fight to stay up.Earnshaw = Was brought again in January if memory serves me correctly?  He was simply a striker that half of the amount we had just received for Ashton was spent on.  Again something, that anything less would not have pacified the majority of our fans at the time, having just let Ashton go for £7 million plus.

[quote user="Smudger"]

Ashton = January signing who we shouldve signed in the previous June or July at the latest instead of going for the cheap option in the Doc.

[/quote]

Doherty was not signed as a striker. He was signed as a central defender when Linvoy Primus, close to the start of the season, turned us down.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Smudger"]

Ashton = January signing who we shouldve signed in the previous June or July at the latest instead of going for the cheap option in the Doc.[/quote]

Doherty was not signed as a striker. He was signed as a central defender when Linvoy Primus, close to the start of the season, turned us down.

[/quote]Oh then why did he play upfront for us to begin with then, or were we really that desperate for a striker after off-loading Iwan too early then?  Say what you like, but were we not told that he was a defender/striker and played most of his games that he did get a chance in early that season upfront for us, while Charlton and Flemming played centre half?

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Smudger"]

Ashton = January signing who we shouldve signed in the previous June or July at the latest instead of going for the cheap option in the Doc.[/quote]

[/quote]Oh then why did he play upfront for us to begin with then, or were we really that desperate for a striker after off-loading Iwan too early then?  Say what you like, but were we not told that he was a defender/striker and played most of his games that he did get a chance in early that season upfront for us, while Charlton and Flemming played centre half?[/quote]PS - The Doc never really got a run at centre half for us until we were relegated as I remember (he then got turned inside out during the first few games of that season).  During the end of our stay in the Premiership, Helveg was playing centre half with Flemming.

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Smudger"]

Ashton = January signing who we shouldve signed in the previous June or July at the latest instead of going for the cheap option in the Doc.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh then why did he play upfront for us to begin with then, or were we really that desperate for a striker after off-loading Iwan too early then?  Say what you like, but were we not told that he was a defender/striker and played most of his games that he did get a chance in early that season upfront for us, while Charlton and Flemming played centre half?
[/quote]

---

It may have been in the back of Worthington''s mind that Doherty could at a pinch play up, and he did for a few games early on. But I repeat, he was signed as a central defender when the Primus move fell through just before the start of the season. And we weren''t as short up front as we were at the back.

In attack in terms of goalscorers we had McKenzie, Svensson and Jonson, plus Huckerby. In central defence we only had Fleming and Charlton, and neither of them in size an adequate replacement for Mackay. Particularly not Charlton, who was more of a utility defender. We wanted a dominant centre-half and when we couldn''t get Primus we went for Doherty.

It is nonsense to pretend we got Doherty instead of Ashton.

Doherty was not

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Smudger"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]Oh then why did he play upfront for us to begin with then, or were we really that desperate for a striker after off-loading Iwan too early then?  Say what you like, but were we not told that he was a defender/striker and played most of his games that he did get a chance in early that season upfront for us, while Charlton and Flemming played centre half?[/quote]PS - The Doc never really got a run at centre half for us until we were relegated as I remember (he then got turned inside out during the first few games of that season).  During the end of our stay in the Premiership, Helveg was playing centre half with Flemming.[/quote]He was brought in as a centre back I believe, and if I remember rightly, Worthington said that he was only using him as an emergency striker for whatever reason.Also, during the end of our Premier League campaign, it was Shackell who partnered Fleming. Helveg was right back.