Sign in to follow this  
Jonnyboy

Steve von Bergen?

And your point being GJP? I was making the point of risk to club, what''s your point?

At 1.5 million it isn''t going to break the bank and his quality is unknown to us, but if you want to buy a british type player for comparisson, Reading are wanting over 3 million for Matt Mills.

I know Football Manager is not accurate at all, but sut for fun i checked him out on FM11. Wow is all I can say, makes Barnett on there look piss poor!!

http://i51.tinypic.com/x214kj.png

[quote user="Grant Holt is a Monster"]

I agree with Indy, it really doesn''t matter what nationality they are as long as they have committed to the cause. I''d definitely prefer a fluent English-speaker though. Whilst strikers and midfielders can get by without great communication, keepers and defenders need to be able to talk to each other.

I have no idea whether this guy is any good, but if Lambert likes him and Serie A teams are chasing him that''s a decent indicator that he''s worth a look. Loads of players like Nemanja Vidic, Ryan Nelson, Thomas Vermaelen etc were unknown here before they arrived. I trust our scouting department if they thinks he''s the right guy.

[/quote]

Well, they were two of the highest rated defenders in Europe before moving to the Premier League, so would hardly call them "unknown".

Having seen von Bergen play I would say he is an okay defender. If Norwich could get him for £1.5m that would be an excellent deal, £1.5m doesn''t buy much for Premier League clubs these days, and as mentioned above Lambert is friends with the Swiss national manager so will have been given a good judgement on the player. Still doubt the truth in this story but fingers crossed.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Indy"]Yeh no thanks to a full international foreign player, we would rather have another home grown player like Andy Hughes, Carl Robinson or Gary Doherty. Sometimes some people on here really do talk nonsense, I would think 1.5 million for a full Swiss international would be good value for money, good for experience and sensible addition to the squad. [/quote]

Yeah, it''s not as if Gary Doherty was an experienced international with good experience of the Premier League.

Oh...wait...

[/quote]Says something of the rubbish that is "Premier League Experience" more than anything else. From what we can tell, this Swiss guy has a good pedegree. He is a regular squad member of a decent international side with a proven defensive contingent (as shown versus Spain in the World Cup) and the reviews from people who know him are good and encouraging. The same can''t be said of the Doc when he arrived here. He''s a nice bloke, professional and committed but I wouldn''t describe him as actually good... certainly not top level quality... I don''t think anybody ever could. Yes he had a few international caps, but that was for Ireland when they were in the midst of something of a depression and he was anything but a regular.p.s. no offence is meant to either Gary Doherty or Ireland.

This is exactly the type of  player we should be getting in, saveing us big bucks. He would cost at least double 1.5 M if he was English. I say bring him in and an old experienced prem defender.Isn''t there that poster on here (NaruDude?) who loves to comment on Swiss players, or is that Sweedish players, if so give us your opinion.

[quote user="priceyrice"]Isn''t there that poster on here (NaruDude?) who loves to comment on Swiss players, or is that Sweedish players, if so give us your opinion.
[/quote]

Try Icelandic.

[quote user="Militant Canary"][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Indy"]Yeh no thanks to a full international foreign player, we would rather have another home grown player like Andy Hughes, Carl Robinson or Gary Doherty. Sometimes some people on here really do talk nonsense, I would think 1.5 million for a full Swiss international would be good value for money, good for experience and sensible addition to the squad. [/quote]

Yeah, it''s not as if Gary Doherty was an experienced international with good experience of the Premier League.

Oh...wait...

[/quote]

Says something of the rubbish that is "Premier League Experience" more than anything else.

From what we can tell, this Swiss guy has a good pedegree. He is a regular squad member of a decent international side with a proven defensive contingent (as shown versus Spain in the World Cup) and the reviews from people who know him are good and encouraging.

The same can''t be said of the Doc when he arrived here. He''s a nice bloke, professional and committed but I wouldn''t describe him as actually good... certainly not top level quality... I don''t think anybody ever could. Yes he had a few international caps, but that was for Ireland when they were in the midst of something of a depression and he was anything but a regular.

p.s. no offence is meant to either Gary Doherty or Ireland.

[/quote]

But the thing is that on the face of it this von Bergen fella has got no better pedigree that Gary Doherty did when we signed him. Doc had about 40 caps and had been a regular in the Spurs side until he broke his leg. Von Bergen''s career probably makes for less impressive reading.

I just find it strange the way people make judgements on players (whether it''s good or bad) - especially ones they know little about.

There were plenty of people prepared to write Russell Martin off just because he wasn''t playing at Posh and they knew a Posh fan who said he wasn''t good enough.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="priceyrice"]Isn''t there that poster on here (NaruDude?) who loves to comment on Swiss players, or is that Sweedish players, if so give us your opinion.
[/quote]

Try Icelandic.

[/quote]

To be fair, the two attacking youngsters he goes on about are very good players.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"][quote user="Joanna Grey"]

[quote user="priceyrice"]Isn''t there that poster on here (NaruDude?) who loves to comment on Swiss players, or is that Sweedish players, if so give us your opinion.[/quote]

Try Icelandic.

[/quote]

To be fair, the two attacking youngsters he goes on about are very good players.

[/quote]O my bad, doubt we will see Lambo bring in any Icelandic players in all honesty. Went on the sun live sports chat, asked how legitimate the link between us and this defender is, or whether its jsut because of Lambert''s realtionship with the Swiss manager, according to the guy on there, link is veyr much legitimate and like others have pointed out, one the other clubs considering bidding is Lazio

Von Bergen is a good player, I have Swiss Family and they think he could do ok in the Premiership...Played every game for Switzerland at the world cupHe isn the quickest but will get in where it hurts and knows how to read the game. he would be a handy player.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Militant Canary"][quote user="GJP"]

Oh...wait...

[/quote]Says something of the rubbish that is "Premier League Experience" more than anything else. From what we can tell, this Swiss guy has a good pedegree. He is a regular squad member of a decent international side with a proven defensive contingent (as shown versus Spain in the World Cup) and the reviews from people who know him are good and encouraging. The same can''t be said of the Doc when he arrived here. He''s a nice bloke, professional and committed but I wouldn''t describe him as actually good... certainly not top level quality... I don''t think anybody ever could. Yes he had a few international caps, but that was for Ireland when they were in the midst of something of a depression and he was anything but a regular.p.s. no offence is meant to either Gary Doherty or Ireland.

[/quote]

But the thing is that on the face of it this von Bergen fella has got no better pedigree that Gary Doherty did when we signed him. Doc had about 40 caps and had been a regular in the Spurs side until he broke his leg. Von Bergen''s career probably makes for less impressive reading.

I just find it strange the way people make judgements on players (whether it''s good or bad) - especially ones they know little about.

There were plenty of people prepared to write Russell Martin off just because he wasn''t playing at Posh and they knew a Posh fan who said he wasn''t good enough.

[/quote]

I can''t disagree GJP.

My point is that, thus far, the reviews of this player are solid. All any of us can do is go on the concensus of what is reported. Russell Martin is an example of when opinion was wrong. However, based on my memory of the event, Gary Doherty is an example of when opinion was correct:

Yes, he was a regular at Tottenham until his leg break. But as I recall it was for a poor Spurs team (I''m happy to be proven wrong on this). Yes, he had a number of caps, but for a very poor Ireland team. He was also given a poor review by every Spurs fan I ever spoke too about him- some of them were friends and trustworthy... trusted them with my life, in fact (but thats another story for another time). One thing I don''t know is this: What was Worthington''s connection to Doherty before his signing? Was he someone he had watched alot? Previously managed? Or, did he come on the recommendation of someone both dependable and knowledgeable?

This Von Bergen guy is different: a regular in a DECENT international team, proven in the WC. Highly thought of in his club and league. Has a connection to Lambert as he would no doubt come with a recommendation from Hitzfeld.

Like I say, I''m happy to be proven wrong on any part of this strange ramble. It has gotten to the point where I''m not sure what the arguement is about. I''m not even sure that this rumour holds water in the first place!

IMO this is where the root of the rumour may have originated.  Hitzfeld was quoted in news reports congratulating Lambert. He said himself spoken to Lambert.  If Hitzfeld has put Lambert onto this player, I for one wouldn''t be suprised if he was a very good player.

[quote user="The Wizard of Oz"]IMO this is where the root of the rumour may have originated.  Hitzfeld was quoted in news reports congratulating Lambert. He said himself spoken to Lambert.  If Hitzfeld has put Lambert onto this player, I for one wouldn''t be suprised if he was a very good player.[/quote]that might not be a bad shout.

I think it is a done deal he comes over from Italy for a medical on Thursday

Another good signing if the medical goes well

I''m struggling to understand how this rumour is still afloat. McNally''s response seemed relatively unequivocal to me (certainly didn''t leave any room for ambiguity).

[quote user="The Wizard of Oz"]There you go, the voice of Swiss football punditry.... Jas'' family [;)]
[/quote]

The key question is "does the family include a cousin?"

Oh...wait...

[/quote]

Says something of the rubbish that is "Premier League Experience" more than anything else.

From what we can tell, this Swiss guy has a good pedegree. He is a regular squad member of a decent international side with a proven defensive contingent (as shown versus Spain in the World Cup) and the reviews from people who know him are good and encouraging.

The same can''t be said of the Doc when he arrived here. He''s a nice bloke, professional and committed but I wouldn''t describe him as actually good... certainly not top level quality... I don''t think anybody ever could. Yes he had a few international caps, but that was for Ireland when they were in the midst of something of a depression and he was anything but a regular.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t find it strange at all. I think it is quite normal.

Oh...wait...

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t find it strange at all. I think it is quite normal.