Sign in to follow this  
Jonnyboy

Steve von Bergen?

Maybe we are looking further a field then England?

Is it right that England transfers start from the last game of the season but the international transfer window doesn''t open until the 1st July?

[quote user="Jonnyboy"]Maybe we are looking further a field then England?

Is it right that England transfers start from the last game of the season but the international transfer window doesn''t open until the 1st July?[/quote]It would sound right given Lamberts comments yesterday about the over inflated price of players (British players). Lambert has always said that he will try to buy British whenever possible, but maybe he has been forced to look abroad?

£1.5M for a centre back who has 20 caps for Switzerland who are no bad footballing country by any means and plays in the Italian league which is a league well know for its defensive style of play and has interest from Lazio a very big Italian club, snap him up!

Won the Swiss League twice with Zurich and went to Hertha for 3 years after before Cesena according to Wiki.

I have to say I dont know too much about him at all but on complete face value he sounds like he''d be a fairly good acquisition.

Would be a very good signing, We need some talent in central defense and this guy''s a talent

We need more defenders. I''d never heard of this von Bergen guy before we were linked with him but he sounds alright.

That we want Swiss centre back Steve Von Bergan from Serie A club Ceasana for 1.5m. Lazio and Genoa also reported to be in for the player! Don''t no much about him to be honest.

Sorry if someone has already posted about this.

Have absolutely no problem with looking to Europe. Quality for a proper price. The pictures on SkySports had him on International duty didn''t they?

Time for some research but good to see that we are looking to Europe, British pricing etc is totally ridiculous.

No thanks we have been down that road wbefore with helveg Jonnson and co. Unless we have top class foreign scouts like Arsenal that can spot emerging talent we should keep clear. we cannot afford the top established foreign players certainly at this moment in time. But Lambert is the best judge at the end of the day

Yeh no thanks to a full international foreign player, we would rather have another home grown player like Andy Hughes, Carl Robinson or Gary Doherty.

Sometimes some people on here really do talk nonsense, I would think 1.5 million for a full Swiss international would be good value for money, good for experience and sensible addition to the squad.

When you look at 20 million for a 19 year old british defender with no full caps in Jones this makes sense to me.

And it doesn''t mattre if they are home grown or not, no gaurantee any player to settle, foreign or not.

It''s in the Sun.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3632962/Norwich-are-keen-on-Swiss-defender-Steve-von-Bergen.html

According to McNasty this is not going to happen...

Someone asked him directly on Twitter and he said no.

Could be deflection or just simply a .....no

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]No thanks we have been down that road wbefore with helveg Jonnson and co. Unless we have top class foreign scouts like Arsenal that can spot emerging talent we should keep clear. we cannot afford the top established foreign players certainly at this moment in time. But Lambert is the best judge at the end of the day[/quote]

A Swiss international with over 21 full caps and 11 under-21 caps? A guy who has played in Serie A and the Bundesliga? For £1.5m?

What can''t we afford here?

I agree with Indy, it really doesn''t matter what nationality they are as long as they have committed to the cause. I''d definitely prefer a fluent English-speaker though. Whilst strikers and midfielders can get by without great communication, keepers and defenders need to be able to talk to each other.

I have no idea whether this guy is any good, but if Lambert likes him and Serie A teams are chasing him that''s a decent indicator that he''s worth a look. Loads of players like Nemanja Vidic, Ryan Nelson, Thomas Vermaelen etc were unknown here before they arrived. I trust our scouting department if they thinks he''s the right guy.

No surprise that we''re being linked with Swiss internationals. The Swiss manager is Ottmar Hitzfeld (Lambo''s old manager & mentor at Dortmund).Wouldn''t surprise me if he also has a chat with his ex-team mate Michael Zorc, General Manager at Dortmund.

hey guys newbie here, I had a brief chat with @swissramble on twitter about von bergen and he had this to saySteady central defender. Not tallest. Part of Swiss WC squad. Experience

abroad with Hertha Berlin & Cesena. Good addition IMO.His words not mine, interesting move if true could be a bit of a steal.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]No thanks we have been down that road wbefore with helveg Jonnson and co. Unless we have top class foreign scouts like Arsenal that can spot emerging talent we should keep clear. we cannot afford the top established foreign players certainly at this moment in time. But Lambert is the best judge at the end of the day[/quote]

Have we ever had a manager with so many connections in Europe? Certainly not the last time we were promoted. It''s all together different now. A bit naive to write all European players off because of what happened last time.

Sounds like a good signing, with plenty of good experience.

Whether we shall sign him is perhaps slightly doubtful, with two good Italian clubs also chasing him. Would playing against the best clubs in England overcome the fact that NCFC are newcomers who will probably be fighting for their Premiership life, and would the damp climate of England be attractive to someone used to Italy?

But it''s good to see us trying to sign European international players. We may have to pay more if his coub see the opportunity for an auction, and I think that we ought to offer more if necessary. I doubt that we would get his quality in an England player for that kind of figure.

[quote user="Indy"]Yeh no thanks to a full international foreign player, we would rather have another home grown player like Andy Hughes, Carl Robinson or Gary Doherty. Sometimes some people on here really do talk nonsense, I would think 1.5 million for a full Swiss international would be good value for money, good for experience and sensible addition to the squad. [/quote]

Yeah, it''s not as if Gary Doherty was an experienced international with good experience of the Premier League.

Oh...wait...

[quote user="Salopian"]and would the damp climate of England be attractive to someone used to Italy? [/quote]

He has played in Switzerland, Germany and Italy.

And yesterday we were officially in drought.

"...and would the damp climate of England be attractive to someone used to Italy?"

Well Norfolk (and East Anglia as a whole) has a very dry climate. It is the west country (including Shropshire) that is damp.

I saw von Bergen play for Cesena this season, but to be honest I remember nothing about him. Not that this is a bad thing, if a defender stands out it is usually for the wrong reasons. I know some Cesena fans who rate the guy pretty highly and would be upset to lose him.

If there is any truth in this rumour I am very unsure, sounds unlikely to me but think he would be a good player for the club if it happens and it certainly sounds a very good price.

He is a quality player. Swiss players have the right mentality to play in England and the fuck that Swiss more then matched England last week and beat Spain in the World Cup show just how good they actually are. I was going to say, I know he isn''t the tallest (6ft I believe) but he is quick, has good positioning and has a very good tackle. With them skills he more then makes up for his lack of height. £1.5 million is a bargain. I think McNally just saying "no" is trying to not attract attention to this rumour, personally.