Sign in to follow this  
mikewalker

The best goal you ever scored?

I was always an appreciator of David Phillips, he of the "rocket shot from range" fame. Hours I''d spend hocking a ball against a wall, spinning around and taking the rebound on my thigh then blasting it as it dropped right on me laces - the sweet spot - and sending it rocketing into/over/through the neighbours fence.

Anyway, Phillips is long gone and so are the laces as I now sport croc skin cowboy boots pretty much 24-7. Kitted out in said boots, I was helping a MILF locate a lost dog at Eaton Park the other day I strayed towards the edge of a football pitch. Some kids were playing ball and a cross missed their target man and drifted into my path.

Sensing the ghost of David Phillips whispering welshly "hit it boyo" into my good ear, I forgot the dog, lengthened my stride and absolutely WALLOPED that football as hard as I could with my instep. My technique, dormant for all those years, was perfect. My posture kept that badboy within UK airspace and I swear the ghost of David Phillips whispered "textbook, pal" as that ball absolutely sang its way into the top corner of the goal.

The nine year old in nets never stood a chance. The rest of the kids stood and applauded as one, as I sprinted arms wide roaring Tardelli style around the perimeter of the pitch. What a glorious moment to be alive for all that witnessed such a grade A pearler. I knew the split second lesson of perfect technique and an eye for the outlandish had taught these kids far more than any so called PE teacher or junior sports coach ever could. MW 1 - The Man 0

My reverie was spoilt when the MILF came over to tell me she''d found the dog, dazed and whimpering, curled up on a pile of coats in the back of the kids goalmouth. Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Tell me about your specacular goals fellow pinkunista''s. Any format (indoor, 5 a side, power league) except computer game format. We''re talking strictly real life.

Full 11-a-side pitch, halfway line, let fly....top corner.

I do remember a few others but that was the best.

In fact, I remember them all, I didn''t score too many....

My best goal was scored during a simple kick-about in the park, two against two with another keeping goal.

The ''keeper punted the ball downfield and set myself and an opponent off on a chase for it as it sailed high through the air.  Although I was in front of the other player, I could sense him close behind me and knew that if I tried to control the ball as it came down over my head he''d more than likely be im prime position to nick it right off my toes.

So as it dropped, I raised my foot up high, still running away from the goal, and hooked it back over my head.  My opponent was going too fast to stop in time, and I spun 90 degrees on the spot and, as it dropped back over my head, I volleyed it back towards the goal.

The ball sailed high and true and from some 30 yards out fell plum into the top right corner, leaving the ''keeper rooted to the spot, no doubt struck with awe.

The best thing about it all was that I meant it.  I''ve scored a few ''spectaculars'' which have really just been shanks, but this one was fully intentional and I doubt I''d be able to do it again with as much skill, grace and accuracy if I tried a thousand times.

The worst thing was that only 4 other people saw it...

I''ve scored a few good goals but mainly in training!

Once I took a chip over the back four onto the top of my thigh perfectly allowing the ball to bounce off it and slightly forward so that I could volley it straight into the roof of the net - had everyone at training slapping my back until it hurt.

My best goal was a fluke though. I was practising running down the wing and crossing whilst training with my uni team. I crossed it but gave it a bit of outside of the boot so it would swerve away and then towards goal. Over did it and it went in a bit like the Ronaldinho goal against Seaman. Totally not deliberate but all the keeper could do was let his jaw drop to his chest!

Other than that I scored a nice curling low daisy cutter season before last. Had the keeper unsure which way to go until the last moment and it slotted right into the bottom corner of the goal.

[quote user="Natural Yellow"]Full 11-a-side pitch, halfway line, let fly....top corner. I do remember a few others but that was the best. In fact, I remember them all, I didn''t score too many....[/quote]

Sounds amazing Natural Yellow. I''d like to think you just nodded modestly as it roared in, and that your opponents applauded in recongnition of a just superb bit of football genius. Its why we all love the game, moments like that.

I once went through a spell of trying to score direct from corners but was subbed, dropped and never picked again after trying without reward for 1 and a quarter games.

I''ve scored 400+ Sunday league goals, including some absolute belters but my favourite was from about 6 yards. We were 2-1 down at home against the league leaders, last game of the season and we had to win to take the division. 5 minutes to go we equalised, they were still quite relaxed as we had to win. 2 minutes left, cross came in from the right, I edged ahead of the defender and flicked it past the stranded keeper in to the bottom corner. Cue title in the bag and absolutely insane celebrations. Those were the days !

[quote user="Evil Monkey Wizard"]

My best goal was scored during a simple kick-about in the park, two against two with another keeping goal.

The ''keeper punted the ball downfield and set myself and an opponent off on a chase for it as it sailed high through the air.  Although I was in front of the other player, I could sense him close behind me and knew that if I tried to control the ball as it came down over my head he''d more than likely be im prime position to nick it right off my toes.

So as it dropped, I raised my foot up high, still running away from the goal, and hooked it back over my head.  My opponent was going too fast to stop in time, and I spun 90 degrees on the spot and, as it dropped back over my head, I volleyed it back towards the goal.

The ball sailed high and true and from some 30 yards out fell plum into the top right corner, leaving the ''keeper rooted to the spot, no doubt struck with awe.

The best thing about it all was that I meant it.  I''ve scored a few ''spectaculars'' which have really just been shanks, but this one was fully intentional and I doubt I''d be able to do it again with as much skill, grace and accuracy if I tried a thousand times.

The worst thing was that only 4 other people saw it...

[/quote]

Sen-sational. You''ve painted one hell of a picture there, truly brought to life your burst of skill and technique, not to mention heat of the moment composure and awareness. Sounds almost Cruyff-esque. Thanks mate, your goal may have been witnessed by 4 others but it now lives forever in the hearts and minds of all contributors to this thread. Well done, sir.

[quote user="chicken"]I''ve scored a few good goals but mainly in training! Once I took a chip over the back four onto the top of my thigh perfectly allowing the ball to bounce off it and slightly forward so that I could volley it straight into the roof of the net - had everyone at training slapping my back until it hurt. My best goal was a fluke though. I was practising running down the wing and crossing whilst training with my uni team. I crossed it but gave it a bit of outside of the boot so it would swerve away and then towards goal. Over did it and it went in a bit like the Ronaldinho goal against Seaman. Totally not deliberate but all the keeper could do was let his jaw drop to his chest! Other than that I scored a nice curling low daisy cutter season before last. Had the keeper unsure which way to go until the last moment and it slotted right into the bottom corner of the goal.[/quote]

Some great goals there, brilliant descriptions as well. I''d vote for the Wing/Curler one, it sounds like quite a bit of skill to score such a peach when running to byline at pace

[quote user="Lord Horn"]In off my nuts from a corner - I was a goalie![/quote]

Hey, thats unorthodox, but they all count.

[quote user="mikewalker"]

[quote user="Natural Yellow"]Full 11-a-side pitch, halfway line, let fly....top corner. I do remember a few others but that was the best. In fact, I remember them all, I didn''t score too many....[/quote]

Sounds amazing Natural Yellow. I''d like to think you just nodded modestly as it roared in, and that your opponents applauded in recongnition of a just superb bit of football genius. Its why we all love the game, moments like that.

I once went through a spell of trying to score direct from corners but was subbed, dropped and never picked again after trying without reward for 1 and a quarter games.

[/quote]

More a case of superb footballing luck, MW, and I think everyone thought the same but it still stays with me after more than 30 years!!

[quote user="pieman"]I''ve scored 400+ Sunday league goals, including some absolute belters but my favourite was from about 6 yards. We were 2-1 down at home against the league leaders, last game of the season and we had to win to take the division. 5 minutes to go we equalised, they were still quite relaxed as we had to win. 2 minutes left, cross came in from the right, I edged ahead of the defender and flicked it past the stranded keeper in to the bottom corner. Cue title in the bag and absolutely insane celebrations. Those were the days ![/quote]

Nice. Very nice. Its good to have a goal in this list that wasn''t spectacular per se, but meant so much more due to context. Were your opponents on their knees punching the floor Sammy Kuffour style (Man utd 2 in injury time - Bayern 1) ?

[quote user="pieman"]I''ve scored 400+ Sunday league goals, including some absolute belters but my favourite was from about 6 yards. We were 2-1 down at home against the league leaders, last game of the season and we had to win to take the division. 5 minutes to go we equalised, they were still quite relaxed as we had to win. 2 minutes left, cross came in from the right, I edged ahead of the defender and flicked it past the stranded keeper in to the bottom corner. Cue title in the bag and absolutely insane celebrations. Those were the days ![/quote]

Nice. Very nice. Its good to have a goal in this list that wasn''t spectacular per se, but meant so much more due to context. Were your opponents on their knees punching the floor Sammy Kuffour style (Man utd 2 in injury time - Bayern 1) ?

[/quote]They were utterly gutted. Particularly nice as their CB had spent the entire game telling me how crap I was! Pretty sure I celebrated that one with a "Gazza" dentist chair routine .....

Fantastic Mikewalker !!! On both a awesome goal , story and by far the best post on this board since the season ended !! Finally something worth replying to !!

Ok so my best was in a game of chair ball..... in my old school ( im a teacher ) we would have a kick about every friday after school. If we did not have enough people we would play "chair ball" 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3, using a school chair as a goal. To score you had to put the ball between the chair legs, no mean feat after a days work with a defender in the way even from 5 yards.

Anyway, my boss was a big fat Irish man , and a binner to boot. He was the kinda bloke to enjoy a wind up and as Norwich had gone down to league one he was having a field day taking the piss out of my team as well as my recent footballing form which varied from poor - very poor.

He had been ribbing me for ages and this intensified when i missed a 3 yrd sitter, i was getting angry and not getting anywhere. I finally lost my rag and blasted a shot from the other side of the PE hall, must have been a good 30 yards with my left foot. Now im right footed but tend to think to much so a snap shot off my left is generally better than a timed one on one vs a keeper.

Well the ball sped across the hall, nutmegged ol paddy 5 pies and whistled in between the chair legs.

I simply put my finger to my lips and said " Shhhhhhhhh" before casually walking back to position.

I was and always will be really proud of that one :)

I was always an appreciator of David Phillips, he of the "rocket shot from range" fame. Hours I''d spend hocking a ball against a wall, spinning around and taking the rebound on my thigh then blasting it as it dropped right on me laces - the sweet spot - and sending it rocketing into/over/through the neighbours fence.

Anyway, Phillips is long gone and so are the laces as I now sport croc skin cowboy boots pretty much 24-7. Kitted out in said boots, I was helping a MILF locate a lost dog at Eaton Park the other day I strayed towards the edge of a football pitch. Some kids were playing ball and a cross missed their target man and drifted into my path.

Sensing the ghost of David Phillips whispering welshly "hit it boyo" into my good ear, I forgot the dog, lengthened my stride and absolutely WALLOPED that football as hard as I could with my instep. My technique, dormant for all those years, was perfect. My posture kept that badboy within UK airspace and I swear the ghost of David Phillips whispered "textbook, pal" as that ball absolutely sang its way into the top corner of the goal.

The nine year old in nets never stood a chance. The rest of the kids stood and applauded as one, as I sprinted arms wide roaring Tardelli style around the perimeter of the pitch. What a glorious moment to be alive for all that witnessed such a grade A pearler. I knew the split second lesson of perfect technique and an eye for the outlandish had taught these kids far more than any so called PE teacher or junior sports coach ever could. MW 1 - The Man 0

My reverie was spoilt when the MILF came over to tell me she''d found the dog, dazed and whimpering, curled up on a pile of coats in the back of the kids goalmouth. Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Tell me about your specacular goals fellow pinkunista''s. Any format (indoor, 5 a side, power league) except computer game format. We''re talking strictly real life.

[/quote]

--

That sounds an interesting occupation, mike. Was there a particular university course you had to take to qualify or is more of a practical experience kind of thing?[;)][:D][;)]

Anyway, moving on. If you attend a rugby/hockey/rowing school and mainly are a goalkeeper when you do have a chance to play footie you don''t get to score many goals. So not a lot of choice.

But there was this one, also at Eaton Park, funnily enough, although I don''t remember any lost dogs. Faced with a defender about 25 yards out, on the left corner of the penalty area, I hooked the ball over the defender with my right foot on to my left. Which was usually just for falling over on. Somehow as the ball dropped hit this pluperfect half-volley across the keeper and in off the post just under the bar. Cue understandably baffled looks from team-mates.

it a coiupartciular university course that qualified you orly ''s an interest

We have all sorts here, mike. Lawyers, journalists, etc h,

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="mikewalker"]

[/quote]

--

That sounds an interesting occupation, mike. Was there a particular university course you had to take to qualify or is more of a practical experience kind of thing?[;)][:D][;)]

Anyway, moving on. If you attend a rugby/hockey/rowing school and mainly are a goalkeeper when you do have a chance to play footie you don''t get to score many goals. So not a lot of choice.

But there was this one, also at Eaton Park, funnily enough, although I don''t remember any lost dogs. Faced with a defender about 25 yards out, on the left corner of the penalty area, I hooked the ball over the defender with my right foot on to my left. Which was usually just for falling over on. Somehow as the ball dropped hit this pluperfect half-volley across the keeper and in off the post just under the bar. Cue understandably baffled looks from team-mates.

[/quote]

I have never scored in a competitive game sadly!best has come at school though... I got the ball and took a touch so the ball looped in front of me, as it came down I lifted it over the keeper from about 35 yards..... you could pass me a ball 1 million times and i''d never be able to do it again!i dont score goals... so everyone was sweet!Also scored a Marco Van Basten (vs russia) at the park with my mates once...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]I have never scored in a competitive game sadly!best has come at school though... I got the ball and took a touch so the ball looped in front of me, as it came down I lifted it over the keeper from about 35 yards..... you could pass me a ball 1 million times and i''d never be able to do it again!i dont score goals... so everyone was sweet!Also scored a Marco Van Basten (vs russia) at the park with my mates once...[/quote]quality :)

Scored a peach of a goal on a boggy marsh in an after work 11 a side once.  Having gone over on my left ankle on this nightmare of a pitch ( few weeks later a colleague did the same, asked me what to do about it, I suggested he ran it off, gave it a try bless him, turned out he''d broken it in 2 places...),  I spent a good 15 minutes moaning to anyone who''d listen about it.  Ball came over 35 yards out, probably to shut me up, and I just banged it with my bad foot.  Stupid thing to do, but it sailed into the top left, leaving the keeper stranded.  Hobbled off the pitch to a polite round of applause.  Which was odd.

I''ve got two that always stick in my mind.

Playing for my home town, against a Norwich side actually, we were passing it around in the midfield, and a stray pass bobbled over and just out of my friends reach. As the ball ran across me, just inside their half, something told me to have a dig. So I did, curving a lovely arch up and over the keeper into the top corner. Never celebrated so madly!

Another was playing for my school team. Dying minutes of a cup game, scores level at 1-1 about to go to penalties, misplaced pass at the back as they were trying to play hoofball, keeper on the edge of his box fluffs his clearance, not expecting a pass back, so I gleefully receive the ball as my defender clears, I race forward about 20 yards to create some space and then gently lob him from just inside the halfway line. Europhia ensued! Bizarrely, I was then dropped for the final. Say what?!

[quote user="AJ Wizard"]I''ve got two that always stick in my mind. Playing for my home town, against a Norwich side actually, we were passing it around in the midfield, and a stray pass bobbled over and just out of my friends reach. As the ball ran across me, just inside their half, something told me to have a dig. So I did, curving a lovely arch up and over the keeper into the top corner. Never celebrated so madly! Another was playing for my school team. Dying minutes of a cup game, scores level at 1-1 about to go to penalties, misplaced pass at the back as they were trying to play hoofball, keeper on the edge of his box fluffs his clearance, not expecting a pass back, so I gleefully receive the ball as my defender clears, I race forward about 20 yards to create some space and then gently lob him from just inside the halfway line. Europhia ensued! Bizarrely, I was then dropped for the final. Say what?![/quote]

Managers eh? I''d have you first name on the team sheet, you build a side around a creative flair-ridden talent such as yourself, surely?

PurpleCanary

You don''t need a university degree to help a damsel in distress. It''s basic timeless chivalry. It helps if the damsel is well stacked, a bit like Nigella Lawson in her prime. SCHWING

Playing for Fellows Sunday in the Yarmouth Sunday League. I was 19. Scored three that day in front of my new girl friend.

Trouble was the third came off my right testicle. I was in agony but pretended I was OK.

Holty would have been proud of me!!! Mind you, I was on a promise and I didn''t get many those days!

What am I saying I don''t get many now!

Morning break, Spring 1992, ball falls to young FCL, drop the shoulder - past one man, couple of lollipops followed by cheeky meg - past two men, 1-2 with the wall - past 3 men, ball sits up nicely - BOOM, laces though it, a bending swerving piledriver- pick that one out, keeps.

"Hogger", "Pass it", "Wanker" etc from Salieri-esque team-mates.

Playing 7-a-side against another company in the same building as ours & managed the perfect hat trick - glancing header from a corner, left foot tap in but my third was the best.

Corner at our end was cleared up the pitch where myself & the last defender were standing. I dummied to run towards the ball drawing the defender with me which took him too far away from the flight of the ball before turning with a bit of pace to take the ball down & head towards goal from around the halfway line. As I approached the ''D'' the keeper ran out to close me down so I chipped the ball over him. Curling my run off to celebrate I noticed I''d overhit the shot & it was looking like it would hit the bar & come back out. Heading back towards goal I was pleased to see the ball kiss the bottom of the bar & drop in.

Cue maniacal celebrations as it was the first (and only) hat trick I''ve ever scored! Good time

I remember racing onto a through ball once, clean through on goal and as the keeper rushed out i curled it past him and into the net from about 30 yards.

One slight problem it was my keeper and i was the cb!! He called for it but I thought i''d play it out with the outside of my foot and instead caught it on the inside and it flew in!

My best effort was when I played once for a local pub side (they were always short of players!!) I scored direct from a corner,gawd knows how it went in!! gust of wind?? but for a minute there was utter bemusment even the ref stood there for a few seconds in disbelief,I have only done it since in practice,such is life!!!

[quote user="Nolly"]I remember racing onto a through ball once, clean through on goal and as the keeper rushed out i curled it past him and into the net from about 30 yards.

One slight problem it was my keeper and i was the cb!! He called for it but I thought i''d play it out with the outside of my foot and instead caught it on the inside and it flew in![/quote]

Jas scored one like that in pre-season once. Absolute rocket of a shot that nearly took the net, and the goal with it. Gawd knows what would have happened if the keeper had actually tried to get in the way of it!

What about a best assist?

Against Jaz''s team last season I reckon. Ball played into left hand channel ahead of me and the right back, it was an even slogging match although he was much younger and far more athletic.

With about 10 yards to the ball (which was running towards the by line and about level with the edge of the box), the full back decided it was too risky to see if I could beat him over the distance and so went in to shoulder me away from the direct route to the ball. I hell my ground.

To my surprise not only did he fail to budge me, he actually pretty much bounced off me and went down. I got to the ball, looked up and slotted the ball in a straight line to our striker, avoiding a scrambling defender and set it up on a plate for our striker to spank home.

Scored quite a few beauts in my time.

It was for the work team, and I should point out that my boss, and a few of our better players were actually playing for the opposition as it was their regular Sunday league side.

This was a friendly. My boss was totally full of himself and thought he was the best player since Pele.

Boss had scored 2, to make it 2-1 with 20minutes left.

Full 11 a side, I''d been playing as the lone striker all game and had a bicycle kick saved earlier in the game, I wasnt getting much service and decided next time the ball came my way I was going to smash it.

Having not had a shot in ages, I was determined to belt it, the winger sprinted away with it down the right, no-one in the box for the cross, only me in support and i pulled my run away to the right hand edge of the area, screaming for him to cut it back.... He did so and i was level with the post, on right hand side of the box 20 yards out, I could see the keeper six yards off his line and also on his near post.

I saw the headlines flashing before my eyes. All I had to do was curl it into the far post and it was unstoppable.

I hit it first time with my instep. Well I tried to, but the ball bobbled and shanked horribly off my ankle, it went about 30 feet up in the air and about 6 yards wide, but at the pinnacle of it''s flight it started spinning crazily.

The world went to slow motion. Everyone stopped dead to see where it would drop, and it curved as it dipped, over the keeper''s despairing dive to drop in the top corner, and send my teammates and the 200 or so fans (work was a summer camp and most staff had turned out to watch) delirious with delight.

We scored a tap in with 5 minutes to go, and won 3-2 to win against the boss'' team for the first time in 5 years!

[quote user="walkern canary"]My best effort was when I played once for a local pub side (they were always short of players!!) I scored direct from a corner,gawd knows how it went in!! gust of wind?? but for a minute there was utter bemusment even the ref stood there for a few seconds in disbelief,I have only done it since in practice,such is life!!![/quote]

I''ve scored three corners if you don''t mind me saying so :) Although two were deflected but who cares? One was in a cup final and that won us the game but another player claimed it but I still got a fiver from my dad, it was 7-a-side though. Another was 11-a-side against the run-away league leaders and that went straight in, the other was in a tournament.

My best was probably when I played for Caister though. Now, I play as a striker (well I''ve played one season and scored 32 in 21 games) but a few years ago I played as a defender and then got moved up to right/centre midfield. We were playing a friendly agiainst a team who were a year older at home. The ball came to our right winger who chipped it to me in the centre circle. I headed it (I don''t usually header so I was quite proud) to our striker in front of me, who then played it through the defense. I latched onto it, and with the defender still chasing me, thought I''d have a go from about 40 yards (I had scored a free-kick in the semi-finals of the previously mentioned cup from the half-way line). I watched the ball loop over the stranded ''keeper and drop into the net. Never forget it. I scored some alright goals this season but nothing can compare to that.