Sign in to follow this  
mikewalker

Harry Redknapp

Can this melting faced crook go more than 24 hours without getting all jiggy in the press about someone elses "triffic" player he''d like or mentioning exactly who wants his players and what sort of deal he''d accept. Go home and play on yer game cube or whatever it is you hawk. TIT.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]i hope he''ll be the next england manager though. (as much as i dislike him)[/quote]

If he is the next England manager I predict as much success as Kevin Keegan. The most telling quote I have heard about Redknapp is from van der Vaart who said "things are very different from Real Madrid here, we were drilled on tactics and giving briefs about opposing players there. Harry just tells me to go out and run around a bit"

Redknapp buys excellent players and puts them on the pitch in a 4-4-2 and hopes they work it out for themselves. Works well at club level, will be useless at international level.

I would suggest that Harry Redknapp is a manager who needs a lot of money to suceed....

Look at his spells at Portsmouth, Southampton and Spurs... West Ham he got lucky with the quality youth team IMO.

He isnt THAT good a manager.

I would go as far to say under Redknapp I don''t think we would qualify for the 2014 World Cup. He is often very tactically naive and will be found out at International level were he can''t just rely on bringing in the best possible players.

"If he is the next England manager I predict as much success as Kevin Keegan. The most telling quote I have heard about Redknapp is from van der Vaart who said "things are very different from Real Madrid here, we were drilled on tactics and giving briefs about opposing players there. Harry just tells me to go out and run around a bit"

Redknapp buys excellent players and puts them on the pitch in a 4-4-2 and hopes they work it out for themselves. Works well at club level, will be useless at international level."

I''d be interested to know what players think of Ian Holloway. I really liked the way he set about keeping Blackpool in the Premiership, ok he hasn''t had success at the top level, but arguably he''s never been at a club big enough to have that opportunity.

Would Holloway make a good England boss ?

Nah, the prospect of Redknapp as England manager doesn''t excite me that much.

Sold off Darren Bent even though he was the best goalscorer Spurs had and has proven that since he left.

Interestingly, Spurs top scorer this season was Pavlyuchenko - the only striker that Harry didn''t sign.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="mrs miggins"]i hope he''ll be the next england manager though. (as much as i dislike him)[/quote]

If he is the next England manager I predict as much success as Kevin Keegan. The most telling quote I have heard about Redknapp is from van der Vaart who said "things are very different from Real Madrid here, we were drilled on tactics and giving briefs about opposing players there. Harry just tells me to go out and run around a bit"

Redknapp buys excellent players and puts them on the pitch in a 4-4-2 and hopes they work it out for themselves. Works well at club level, will be useless at international level.

[/quote]

I disagree entirely. Club football is massively overanalysed and the opposition know every fuggen thing about the way a team (ie Spurs) set up. He feeds off this ''football romantic, keep it simple, entertain'' press persona. If he was really only saying "fuggen run around a bit do what you like" then they''d be relegated by Oct. I think in International football where squads only meet up for about 2 days before a match and have zero time to properly work on systems and tactics etc his ''supposed'' simple motivational style might actually reap rewards. Either way, he''s a mouthy tit.

redknapp buys good players who play for big clubs as shown from his time at portsmouth (and give them a ridiculous wage bill that the club can''t afford-surely he is the cause for where they are at the moment) but if you look at the england squad, they are all great individuals, they just need to learn how to play together properly.

joe hart -man city

richards/johnson -man city/liverpool

ferdinand -man utd

terry -chelsea

cole -chelsea

johnson/young/walcott -city/utd/arsenal

lampard/gerrard/wilshire -chelsea/liverpool/arsenal

rooney/crouch/defoe/bent -utd/spurs/villa

(i know iv left people out, but you get the jist of it-i think he could do a job)

[quote user="CT Wizard"]

I would suggest that Harry Redknapp is a manager who needs a lot of money to suceed....

Look at his spells at Portsmouth, Southampton and Spurs... West Ham he got lucky with the quality youth team IMO.

He isnt THAT good a manager.

[/quote]

Well, I''m quite surprised, but I agree completely with you CT. The whole wheeler dealer pseudonym he''s so prviliged with is a joke, you only have to look at the money he spent last year at Spurs (in fact the whole time with Spurs) and the fees the were willing to pay for that elusive Spanish striker and you realise their final postion this year isn''t good enough.

I know await the reminders of how well Spurs did in Europe.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[/quote]

Until they met a top side, got it tactically wrong and were ripped to pieces.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t think playing with 10 men was part of the game plan!

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Legend Iwan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t think playing with 10 men was part of the game plan!

[/quote]

I''m sure it wasn''t but I don''t think that made much difference to the outcome.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]i hope he''ll be the next england manager though. (as much as i dislike him)[/quote]1 trophy and 3 relegations (pompe, Saints and the spammers i think).. no thanks.

he didn''t get pompey relegated did he, i thought he left before they went down, and didn''t roeder get the hammers relegated?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]"If he is the next England manager I predict as much success as Kevin Keegan. The most telling quote I have heard about Redknapp is from van der Vaart who said "things are very different from Real Madrid here, we were drilled on tactics and giving briefs about opposing players there. Harry just tells me to go out and run around a bit"

Redknapp buys excellent players and puts them on the pitch in a 4-4-2 and hopes they work it out for themselves. Works well at club level, will be useless at international level."

I''d be interested to know what players think of Ian Holloway. I really liked the way he set about keeping Blackpool in the Premiership, ok he hasn''t had success at the top level, but arguably he''s never been at a club big enough to have that opportunity.

Would Holloway make a good England boss ?[/quote]I''ve pondered this question myself, and I''ve come to the conclusion that I would love Holloway to be England boss. I''m sure a lot of people would disagree entirely, though. I believe Ollie would happily cull the squad of all the overpaid, over-the-hill chaff that currently populates it, in favour of young, hungry players who are desperate for success (remind you of anyone?). He''s a fantastic motivator, would play exciting football and wouldn''t take any sh*t from anyone. In my view we need to be thinking a few years ahead - come 2014, there are plenty of players who will be well past their best (Terry, Ferdinand, Lampard, Carrick, Barry, Crouch - the spine of the team, basically), and there are plenty of players who, with the right nurture, could be outstanding players by then (Smalling, Phil Jones, Rodwell, Wilshere, Henderson, Carroll, Sturridge, McEachran, Welbeck, Martin Kelly, Gibbs). Keep Gerrard as captain - he''s played his best international football under Capello - and keep Ashley Cole, but all the other late-twenties and early-thirties have had their chance and failed. I think Ollie is the only manager with the balls to make those sweeping changes.Anyway, it''s moot because the FA would never have the guts to appoint him, much like Clough. He''s simply too outspoken.

I''d love Holloway as next England Manager.

Having said that, Capello is, IMHO, still the best man for the job. But another post, another time...

Holloway is tactically astute and not afraid to play the game-4-4-2 isn''t in his vocabularly. The top sides today all play 4-4-3 (Holloways preference) or 4-4-1-1, England and 4-4-2 is as out of date as Shoot! and Tiger & Scorcher.

But yes, the FA wouldn''t have the courage to appoint him. They''ll go with the media backed Redknapp flow and we''ll have a Keegan''esque honeymoon again followed by more embarassing displays from our "tired" players.

See the mid-winter break is being called for again. FFS, a "break"-the top clubs will all use the time to jet off to Asia, the USA etc to play "exhibiiton" games.

They supposedly have a break in the Summer but a lot of them are thousands of miles away doing exactly that only days before the season begins.

The only "break" about it is that they want to "break the bank".

[quote user="Coelho"][quote user="blahblahblah"]"If he is the next England manager I predict as much success as Kevin Keegan. The most telling quote I have heard about Redknapp is from van der Vaart who said "things are very different from Real Madrid here, we were drilled on tactics and giving briefs about opposing players there. Harry just tells me to go out and run around a bit" Redknapp buys excellent players and puts them on the pitch in a 4-4-2 and hopes they work it out for themselves. Works well at club level, will be useless at international level." I''d be interested to know what players think of Ian Holloway. I really liked the way he set about keeping Blackpool in the Premiership, ok he hasn''t had success at the top level, but arguably he''s never been at a club big enough to have that opportunity. Would Holloway make a good England boss ?[/quote]
I''ve pondered this question myself, and I''ve come to the conclusion that I would love Holloway to be England boss. I''m sure a lot of people would disagree entirely, though. I believe Ollie would happily cull the squad of all the overpaid, over-the-hill chaff that currently populates it, in favour of young, hungry players who are desperate for success (remind you of anyone?). He''s a fantastic motivator, would play exciting football and wouldn''t take any sh*t from anyone.

In my view we need to be thinking a few years ahead - come 2014, there are plenty of players who will be well past their best (Terry, Ferdinand, Lampard, Carrick, Barry, Crouch - the spine of the team, basically), and there are plenty of players who, with the right nurture, could be outstanding players by then (Smalling, Phil Jones, Rodwell, Wilshere, Henderson, Carroll, Sturridge, McEachran, Welbeck, Martin Kelly, Gibbs). Keep Gerrard as captain - he''s played his best international football under Capello - and keep Ashley Cole, but all the other late-twenties and early-thirties have had their chance and failed. I think Ollie is the only manager with the balls to make those sweeping changes.

Anyway, it''s moot because the FA would never have the guts to appoint him, much like Clough. He''s simply too outspoken.
[/quote]

I think you are right in a lot of what you say, especially about brining through younger players. The problem is every England manager (especially the English ones) knows that if they fail to qualify for a World Cup/Euros then they are deadmeat. McClaren dropped Beckham when his form was poor, but when England started to lose games he called him back as it was the safe option. It would be a very brave man to get rid of the old guard and replace them with unproven youngsters, if you draw one game with Poland then the media will slaughter you. There is little time in international football to create a team using young players, Germany managed it by using the build up to the 2006 World Cup (when they had no qualifiers) to bring a team together. The problem is why would Capello or the next manager bring in youngsters when they know they will probably not be England manager by the time the team is performing to its best. (The same also applies to club managers, why would you buy good young players when it is very unlikely you will be the manager when they reach their peak.)

Of the players you mentioned Barry has already gone, so has Crouch. Lampard being subbed off at half time shows his remaining time is very limited. Wilshere has managed to get into the team and is now undroppable and when Carroll is fit I imagine he will be first choice.

Ollie would try to make the changes, but the media would turn on him and he would be hounded out of the job. It is what always happens - no manager comes in thinking "I''ll just do the same as the guy before me and hope it works out better" but the incredible pressure means no one is brave enough to do anything about it.

I can''t believe I''m reading a thread in which people are attacking the managerial credentials of Harry Redknapp and promoting those of Ian Holloway. Redknapp has a consistent proven record, with Southampton the only, very minor, blip - he ended up there on the rebound from his first departure from Portsmouth (believe me West Ham fans would have him back in a second, he was treated badly there by a club that thought it could do better, when it clearly couldn''t).And what the heck has he done wrong in this instance - talked fairly freely about players? What on earth is wrong with that, he''s an engaging, reasonably interesting (for a football manager) bloke who has a strong managerial track record. I also doubt he''s particularly profligate. Look at Dalglish at present for example - hardly prudent compared with Harry''s past signings who have typically ben proven players.

Holloway clearly stirs some romantic notions in many football fans but the man is as much a buffoon as a footballing genius.

Anyway...

[quote user="The 12th Devine"]I can''t believe I''m reading a thread in which people are attacking the managerial credentials of Harry Redknapp and promoting those of Ian Holloway. Redknapp has a consistent proven record, with Southampton the only, very minor, blip - he ended up there on the rebound from his first departure from Portsmouth (believe me West Ham fans would have him back in a second, he was treated badly there by a club that thought it could do better, when it clearly couldn''t).And what the heck has he done wrong in this instance - talked fairly freely about players? What on earth is wrong with that, he''s an engaging, reasonably interesting (for a football manager) bloke who has a strong managerial track record. I also doubt he''s particularly profligate. Look at Dalglish at present for example - hardly prudent compared with Harry''s past signings who have typically ben proven players.

Holloway clearly stirs some romantic notions in many football fans but the man is as much a buffoon as a footballing genius.

Anyway...[/quote]For the record, I''m not knocking Redknapp, but it would be a short-term solution; he''ll be 65 by the time the Euros are over. If we are going to nurture a real ''golden generation'', one that doesn''t get p*ssed up the wall by Eriksson, McClaren and its own arrogance, then we need to appoint a manager who is capable of staying for the long haul. I don''t think Ollie is either a genius or a buffoon - he''s simply a guy who is true to his principles, completely unafraid of speaking his mind and wants to play attractive, attacking football. I''m sure there would be a few cringeworthy soundbites along the way, but he would inspire passion among the players and if any big-ego superstars get complacent or too big for their boots, you just know Ollie would cull them at the drop of a hat.

"I can''t believe I''m reading a thread in which people are attacking the managerial credentials of Harry Redknapp and promoting those of Ian Holloway."

Redknapp obviously knows how to get performances out of top players, and how to spot a player / how to recruit good scouts. But everywhere he has performed well, he has spent a lot of money. Holloway hasn''t had that luxury. Redknapp is also very good at jumping before the money runs out.

Anyone who has been promoting Holloway has not been attacking Redknapp, simply offering him as an option.

I''m sure I read somewhere that Redknapp''s court case for illegal payments and with-holding taxes is soon to begin...that''ll look good on the CV.

[quote user="yellow blood"]I''m sure I read somewhere that Redknapp''s court case for illegal payments and with-holding taxes is soon to begin...that''ll look good on the CV.[/quote]Well the FA appointed Venables... [;)]