Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Paying 'over the odds' for British players is OK! Really.

Because if we choose well we''ll be able to sell them on for ''over the odds'' too when money bags come calling.

Hill, Cross, Reeves, Phelan, Watson, Bruce, Townsend, Fleck, Ekoku, Ashton...........and even Damien Francis and Leon McKenzie

So, all things being equal, buying British is the smart thing to do on a purely financial basis quite apart from anything else!

WatlingSouthChase did it in tandem with a succession of good City managers. Worthy/Smith was more like the crates egg - certainly some foreign flops.

So Mr Lambert sir and Mr McNally sir.........carry on, I say. Onwards and upwards. Buying British is right on most counts - until we reach the top 6 of course - different ball game that!

OTBC

Another rallying call to the "Delia Haters" from the usual source. But I think you''re losing your touch Babes. None of them came running the other day so I shouldn''t think you''ll have much more joy with this ill-informed crap either. Anyway, looks like The Butler''s retired, Cluck is running scared of the mods, and poor Crafty is trying to turn it all into a joke.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Another rallying call to the "Delia Haters" from the usual source. But I think you''re losing your touch Babes. None of them came running the other day so I shouldn''t think you''ll have much more joy with this ill-informed crap either. Anyway, looks like The Butler''s retired, Cluck is running scared of the mods, and poor Crafty is trying to turn it all into a joke.

[/quote]

?

You really do have a one track mind.

What''s up? You don''t support the LambertMcNally approach of buying young, hungry and British?

I do.

Read it again.

Dear oh dear.

OTBC

I read it first time.

How is Smith''s role at the club any different now to what it was whenWorthy was manager?

Wasn''t Ashton young and hungry? How much did we sell him for?

Dear oh dear

But at least you''re on your own now.

I reckon it''s time for your bedtime

Problem is that when you wake up your fixation with Smith and Worthy will ensure that you remain blinded and off track.

A principal point of my op was to support the acquisition of British players - even if ''over-priced'' - as opposed to foreign players.

If we recruit well - as in the past -  we shall be able to sell on those self-same players at enhanced ''over-priced'' fees.

Goodnight. [|-)]

OTBC

We have signed good and poor foreign players over the years. Just as we have signed good and poor young British players.

Smith had no more to do with players Worthy signed than she does players Lambert signs.

You have a blinkered view of things and post them as if they were facts.

Maybe I won''t go to bed at all but thanks anyway for your concern[|-)]

We have signed good and poor foreign players over the years. Just as we have signed good and poor young British players.

Smith had no more to do with players Worthy signed than she does players Lambert signs.

[/quote]

Name me one foreign player we have sold on for more than we paid for him.

There are numerous example of British players that we have sold on for more than we paid for them. And the heydays of these transactions were under Watling, South and Chase.

As far as I recall the only good deal of this type that Worthy made were for Ashton, Francis  and McKenzie, Admittedly he also signed Earnshaw and Etuhu who were sold on at a ''profit'' - but the they were both were foreign-born.

One of the first things that Worthy did when he first got the job was to run out all those darn lazy furrinners who had been accumulated under Rioch and Hamilton as I recall!

OTBC

[/quote]

There are numerous example of British players that we have sold on for more than we paid for them. And the heydays of these transactions were under Watling, South and Chase.

As far as I recall the only good deal of this type that Worthy made were for Ashton, Francis  and McKenzie, Admittedly he also signed Earnshaw and Etuhu who were sold on at a ''profit'' - but the they were both were foreign-born.

One of the first things that Worthy did when he first got the job was to run out all those darn lazy furrinners who had been accumulated under Rioch and Hamilton as I recall!

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Because if we choose well we''ll be able to sell them on for ''over the odds'' too when money bags come calling.

Hill, Cross, Reeves, Phelan, Watson, Bruce, Townsend, Fleck, Ekoku, Ashton...........and even Damien Francis and Leon McKenzie

So, all things being equal, buying British is the smart thing to do on a purely financial basis quite apart from anything else!

WatlingSouthChase did it in tandem with a succession of good City managers. Worthy/Smith was more like the crates egg - certainly some foreign flops.

So Mr Lambert sir and Mr McNally sir.........carry on, I say. Onwards and upwards. Buying British is right on most counts - until we reach the top 6 of course - different ball game that!

OTBC[/quote]Townsend was Irish (allegedly!)Ekoku was NigerianFrancis played for Jamaica...none of them are "British" players....

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

Have you ever thought that''s because we have never brought "young foreign players" to sell on? We signed plenty of freebies, journeymen and duds but never invested in young foreign players. We actually paid a club record fee for one such dud, Drazen Muzinic, signed by Bondy and Sir Arthur (if you are to be believed) neither of whom had ever seen him play. That club record fee stood for seven years but Muzinic was long gone way before that. For nothing. Of course we have also signed plenty of British freebies, journeymen and duds in much the same way. Other clubs have paid over the odds for young foreign players and then moved them on for for ''over the odds'' too. We never have.

This transfer market heyday you are referring to came when the clubs had the upper hand over players. These days it''s the other way around and players themselves hold all the aces. You have an uncanny knack for comparing chalk with cheese in order to try and discredit our clubs owners. It''s more obvious than ever in the opening post of this thread. In short you post a load of old bollox but I will defend your right to post it. Plastic Mods like Lord Snooty from Broadstairs would do well to remember that.[8-|]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I want to know what Walphy reckons.[;)][/quote]

I always know when you quietly agree with me on a topic Tilly.[;)]

(And  I think you can forget Walphy - didn''t you see his announcement the other day about going happily into retirement, never to return?)

One love.

OTBC

This whole ''British vs. Foreign'' debate is moot. Where they''re born matters not, it''s whether they fit into the team and play well that matters.

As for the price I think inflated for British is a problem especially when they''re untested at a higher level. Let''s say we buy Snodgrass for 5mill, which seems to be the amount Leeds want for him, then we only have a hope of making that back if he makes the step up successfully, which is a bit of a gamble.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="TIL 1010"]I want to know what Walphy reckons.[;)][/quote]

I always know when you quietly agree with me on a topic Tilly.[;)]

(And  I think you can forget Walphy - didn''t you see his announcement the other day about going happily into retirement, never to return?)

One love.

OTBC

[/quote]

Tilly?.....now i am worried.Whatever happened to the Old Plod routine?

[/quote]Trust the ''brains of the organisation'' to try and twist this thread round to make an argument from it. I see the organ grinder is having his sixpeeny worth. Just needs the boy to come along to complete the trio.

Just thought I''d pop on and say Hi. How are you Crafty?

Still got nothing to say and saying it too loudly I see..

Not surprised to see you on this thread though....

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Because if we choose well we''ll be able to sell them on for ''over the odds'' too when money bags come calling. Hill, Cross, Reeves, Phelan, Watson, Bruce, Townsend, Fleck, Ekoku, Ashton...........and even Damien Francis and Leon McKenzie So, all things being equal, buying British is the smart thing to do on a purely financial basis quite apart from anything else! WatlingSouthChase did it in tandem with a succession of good City managers. Worthy/Smith was more like the crates egg - certainly some foreign flops. So Mr Lambert sir and Mr McNally sir.........carry on, I say. Onwards and upwards. Buying British is right on most counts - until we reach the top 6 of course - different ball game that! OTBC[/quote]

Townsend was Irish (allegedly!)

Ekoku was Nigerian

Francis played for Jamaica...

none of them are "British" players....
[/quote]

Townsend was born in Maidstone

Ekoku was born in Manchester

Francis was born in Wandsworth

But I guess they''re not ''British''...............

And before somebody asks, Earnshaw was born in Zambia and Etuhu in Nigeria.

Oh boy!

Still. One love.

OTBC

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

Have you ever thought that''s because we have never brought "young foreign players" to sell on? We signed plenty of freebies, journeymen and duds but never invested in young foreign players. We actually paid a club record fee for one such dud, Drazen Muzinic, signed by Bondy and Sir Arthur (if you are to be believed) neither of whom had ever seen him play. That club record fee stood for seven years but Muzinic was long gone way before that. For nothing. Of course we have also signed plenty of British freebies, journeymen and duds in much the same way. Other clubs have paid over the odds for young foreign players and then moved them on for for ''over the odds'' too. We never have.

This transfer market heyday you are referring to came when the clubs had the upper hand over players. These days it''s the other way around and players themselves hold all the aces. You have an uncanny knack for comparing chalk with cheese in order to try and discredit our clubs owners. It''s more obvious than ever in the opening post of this thread. In short you post a load of old bollox but I will defend your right to post it. Plastic Mods like Lord Snooty from Broadstairs would do well to remember that.[8-|]

[/quote]

I hope you went to Church today.

And prayed for forgiveness.

OTBC

Unfortunately the process of buying younger English players to develop and possibly sell on for a profit has virtually disappeared

Why would the top clubs sell young players when they can get the lower clubs to pay their wages, train them, coach them, develop them, give then games and exposure and in so doing increase their value for their own ends? It''s called the loan system.

The rich get richer, the poor suffer ........ nothing changes nowadays.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]

Unfortunately the process of buying younger English players to develop and possibly sell on for a profit has virtually disappeared

Why would the top clubs sell young players when they can get the lower clubs to pay their wages, train them, coach them, develop them, give then games and exposure and in so doing increase their value for their own ends? It''s called the loan system.

[/quote]

Well, I guess that many would class us as rich, I mean being in the Prem ''an all.

And I reckon that under BowkettMcNallyLambert we''re getting richer. And when we stay up we shall get richer still.....

So poor little Norwich is morphing into rich little Norwich - and soon to become a purveyor by appointment of the Prem of promising young loanees to various poor little clubs.

Ergo something has changed, is changing as we write and has the potential for even more upward change.....!

Hmmm..........now how about that, eh.

[;)]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="Yellow Wall"]

[/quote]

Well, I guess that many would class us as rich, I mean being in the Prem ''an all.

And I reckon that under BowkettMcNallyLambert we''re getting richer. And when we stay up we shall get richer still.....

So poor little Norwich is morphing into rich little Norwich - and soon to become a purveyor by appointment of the Prem of promising young loanees to various poor little clubs.

Ergo something has changed, is changing as we write and has the potential for even more upward change.....!

Hmmm..........now how about that, eh.

[;)]

OTBC

[/quote]

I would agree Bly and it''s very good to see ................ but when it comes to ''rich'' ........ if we make comparrisons to the the top of the Premiership we will never reach those heights and that wealth and will always be at their mercy.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

I hope you went to Church today.

And prayed for forgiveness.

OTBC

[/quote]

Last night you were concerned about my bedtime now today you''re concerned about whether I went to church and what I prayed about.

Why don''t you ever reply to the points I make?

Do you think smashing the club record transfer fee on some old has been foreigner who the manager hasn''t even seen play is the way forward and the benchmark for what we should be doing now?

If you must know I said this little prayer for you [A] : -

I wanted only good for you,

There’s still no other goal.

Because Delia has filled my heart,

With love for your lost soul.

I suspect that the only concern PL has when signing a player is whether that player fits in with the plans he has for next season and whether we can afford him. I would imagine the nationality of any potential target is pretty far down the list of attributes that will determine whether we try and sign them.

There are plenty of foreign players who could improve our team just as there are plenty who we would not want. The same goes for English players. However a bid for a foreign player behind the backs of your rivals and for a relatively low price can go a long way to ensuring Premier League survival. Peter Odemwingie cost WBA a very similar amount than Manchester United paid for Javier Hernandez but depite outscoring the Mexican (15 Premier League goals to 13) he has received nowhere near as much praise. If we could get a similar striker who fitted our system for that sort of price (the fee was undisclosed but most reports put it at £1.5million) it would be a big step towards ensuring survival. The wages compared to a British striker (Crouch? Defoe?) would almost certainly be cheaper as well.